Thai Taxi Meter Rates Set To Increase In Mid-April

webfact

I agree with most everyone else. A price rise seems fair. The taxis are ridiculously cheap now.

In other words, you're OK to pay more than you pay today - for the something very-very same.

Edited by alexakap

Firstly the yellow/green taxis are driven by the owner, you will often find the picture does not match the owner, this is because it may be his son, sometimes even his wife. These "family" taxis are often in use 24/7 as the family work in shifts.

Blue/red taxis are rented daily from a company, although often the scruffier ones have been bought second hand from the company and are privately owned.

Yellow/greens tend to be the oldest then blue/red next. The solid colours are the newest ones, most are company owned but quite a few are privately owned.

You can often spot the privately owned ones because they are customised, spoilers, sound systems, special upholstery etc.

For the record, in my road are 12 taxi drivers so I am very familiar with the system.

Rented taxi drivers often have a limited knowledge of local geography and will refuse to take fares outside that area.

A good tip is to ask drivers that you like for their mobile number, particularly if you do a regular trip.

• Like 1

I agree with most everyone else. A price rise seems fair. The taxis are ridiculously cheap now.

In other words, you're OK to pay more than you pay today - for the something very-very same.

That's a narrow and simplistic view of the issue.

Bkk taxi drivers have not received a flagfall or kilometre rise for many years. Fuel prices and cost of living has increased over that time. I think the taxis are dirt cheap now and I think a price rise is more than fair.

• Like 1

I have no problem with a reasonable rate increase for BKK taxi drivers/rates...

But if they're going to do that, the authorities ought to consider some other issues as well:

--Among the taxi numbers they cite, I'd sure like to know how many of them are the variety that sit like vultures outside hotels and similar places all over town and refuse any metered business for anything, doesn't matter if you're a farang or Thai customer. They'll only go for a fixed, inflated price, or they won't go.

I like on a Sukhumvit soi with a variety of mostly small to medium size hotels, and my soi is filled with those kinds of taxis... They're only interested in trips to the airport or out-of-town travel or quoting 300 to 500 baht trips to tourists that with a meter taxi might cost 100 baht. If they're going to raise the raise, they should at least stop letting these kinds of vultures appear to be the same as meter taxis.

--Most of the time, my Thai wife and I use BKK taxis with no problem. But last Friday, we were going out for the evening and were trying to hail a taxi on Suk Road for maybe a 1 km trip... I let my wife hail and talk to the taxi drivers... We stopped three separate taxis each with their available light on, and three in a row refused the trip... So we ended up taking BTS instead. If they're going to raise the rates, they ought to do something about trip refusals.

--Most people posting here seem to support the increase from the reasonable presumption that a lot of BKK taxi drivers work long hours for low pay... But if the taxi companies are able to raise the daily rental rates without regulation at the same time as a fare increase, then the companies will end up making more profit but little or none of it might end up with the drivers. If they're going to raise the rates, they ought to do something to ensure the drivers share in the revenue hike.

• Like 1

Totally agree with the consensus. The taxis are a real bargain here and - comparing the price with the quality of the cars - it probably represents the best value in pretty much any city I have ever been in. Manila fares are cheaper, but the cars are truly awful. Hong Kong cars are fine and cheap for the fact it's a first world city, but the starting meter price of HKD 20 translates to around 80 baht. I was in Beijing at the weekend, and the starting price there is RMB10 or around 48 baht, but again the quality of the cars is nothing like Bkk.

I'd ber very happy to see the starting fare hiked to 45 baht.

Lots of comments from farang about how cheap taxis are in Bangkok (which is true compared to many cities), but missing the point that 99% of passengers are Thai and for most Thais taxis are not cheap at all.

• Like 1

There is another side to this discussion.

As someone who drives and having spoken to a great many Thai motorists, the general opinion is that there are far too many taxis on the roads. They are generally a pain in the neck for other motorists as they behave in the same way as many taxi drivers around the world. they think they own the road and tend to drive irresponsibly.

As far as taxi passengers go, the general opinion is that, for the most part, they don't deserve any more money, as many taxi drivers come from other parts of Thailand and don't know where they are going, some are bad tempered and often refuse to go to certain places.

If they want more money, they should give a better service.

Raising the prices is fair. Taxi's here are super cheap and they deserve a price hike. Limiting the number of taxis would suck though. One thing I like about this place is not having to wait more then a few minutes to get a cab if I have to wait at all.

when i arrived at the airport i had to fight to get a taxi that would use the meter ??

why have the meter if you dont want to use it anyway

taxi reg number is 7707 and 1607 they both refused point blank to even use there meters i thought it was law here to use meters for torists

they need to sort out useing of meters first then look for a price rise TIT

I've never had a problem with "no meter" with a taxi at the airport when going into Bangkok.

It is about time that Taxi tariffs went up. They are fixed on 35 baht for 20 years. All people complaining about the increase need to be cut 50% on their salary and that is only for inflation. Taxi drivers have seen their car rent go up, petrol prices rise dramatically and their cost of living. Without a decent fee, taxi rides will stay dangerous and attract the wrong kind of drivers, who have to work far too long hours to avoid accidents. The drivers would have deserved at the very least a doubling of their tariffs.

The last taxi fare increase in BKK was in July 2008.

The rise was 12% from the previous fare which had been in effect since 1992.

http://www.nationmul...al_30075874.php

As far as I recall it took more than 6 months to adjust all the meters.

Edited by rheinwiese

that's a good move , taxi drivers need to make a bit more money .... Reducing the amount of taxis in Bangkok will help also as on my opinion they are too many taxis ,

I think there would be many who would disagree, as the availability of cheap taxi transport is one of the attractive elements of a mostly unattractive city. The number will be determined by supply and demand. If they weren't being used, and were not making money, they would not exist in such large numbers.

Well, we could debate if BKK is "unattractive' since 14 million people can't all be wrong....Personally. I love it in BKK. To each their own, yes?

Anyway, I really like your point about supply and demand. Yes, of course there must be enough work / profit for the vast numbers of cabs...or, as you have pointed out...they would go to the next best option for making money. This may be a boon for tuk tuk and motorcycle drivers who move many people and take up less road space. Of course, they will bump up rates a little...but we will still have the power to negotiate price. Often, on a short trip from BTS, a tuk tuk will say 35 baht, and I say...for 40 baht, i can sit in an air conditioned car. Now, it will will be a bit harder to sell that idea. at the end of the day, we are talking about (literally) ... pennies of difference. Mai pen rai.

I love it in BKK as well, but we can all agree that most parts of Bangkok do not qualify as "aesthetically pleasing" lol - that was the only definition of "attractive" I was going for.

If anything they should lower the starting fare to attract more riders, so that people will take a taxi for more short trips instead of walking. Raising to 50 baht is a bad idea, that is too high and more people will think twice about just hoping in a taxi for short trips. They could change the formula to make it more expensive for longer trips, but short trips should be cheap to entice people to make impulse purchases of taxi trips.

Why not 100 Baht flat rate anywhere to anywhere in Bangkok, buffet style.

This ensure the driver use the shortest route.

Also avoid the "no meter" or "fixed meter" problem.

LOL...no.............That would only increase the number of refusals for any trip over 2 kilometers! OMG. Think about it! too funny!

Have you seen a buffet resturant refusing a fat customer?

Another way to help taxi drivers, would be a program to help them buy their own vehicle, so that they do not have to rent each day. How much is raising taxi fares going to actually help the driver, when the taxi fleet owners will just raise the taxi rental rate? This increase is going to go in to the pockets of the rich taxi fleet owners.

As someone who drives and having spoken to a great many Thai motorists, the general opinion is that there are far too many taxis on the roads. They are generally a pain in the neck for other motorists as they behave in the same way as many taxi drivers around the world. they think they own the road and tend to drive irresponsibly.

As far as taxi passengers go, the general opinion is that, for the most part, they don't deserve any more money, as many taxi drivers come from other parts of Thailand and don't know where they are going, some are bad tempered and often refuse to go to certain places.

Raising the prices is fair. Taxi's here are super cheap and they deserve a price hike. Limiting the number of taxis would suck though. One thing I like about this place is not having to wait more then a few minutes to get a cab if I have to wait at all.

Perhaps there are too many taxis on the road but on a personal note, I find it very convenient not to have to wait under the hot sun for a taxi. There's usually one available easily and that to me is one part of 'good' service. Not having to wait too long for something.

You can't really blame the taxi driver for refusing to go to certain places. The main thing here is the traffic jams. Have you sat in a taxi in a traffic jam? The meter hardly moves while you're stuck forever on the road. From a business point a view, it just isn't worth it to pick up a passenger and get paid peanuts because of the traffic. Sure they're not supposed to do that but still, you have to empathise with them. They already make so little. If they're stuck in traffic for an hour, how much do they actually make from the ride? Now if they were to raise prices and make the meter jump a little more while the taxi doesn't move then maybe you'll have less taxi drivers not wanting to take you to certain parts of the city.

As for them driving irresponsibly. Well, it's the same even in places like Singapore. Perhaps it's worse here but to be fair, I think taxi drivers being <deleted> on the road are universal.

just a 10-20baht extra on an average ride will not change any of our lives(even for the poor english teachers) but will give a massive incentive for underpaid taxis to not steal from you. They are getting a 1980's salary right now.. those 10-20baht extras per ride will give them enough money to be happy.

Totally agree with the consensus. The taxis are a real bargain here and - comparing the price with the quality of the cars - it probably represents the best value in pretty much any city I have ever been in. Manila fares are cheaper, but the cars are truly awful. Hong Kong cars are fine and cheap for the fact it's a first world city, but the starting meter price of HKD 20 translates to around 80 baht. I was in Beijing at the weekend, and the starting price there is RMB10 or around 48 baht, but again the quality of the cars is nothing like Bkk.

Lots of comments from farang about how cheap taxis are in Bangkok (which is true compared to many cities), but missing the point that 99% of passengers are Thai and for most Thais taxis are not cheap at all.

Isn't that the same anywhere in the world? I would never use taxis in London for example - couldn't justify the cost.

I'm not sure how this is relevant. At the end of the day, the market will prevail and will determine the right price for Bangkok's taxis. If the prices rise and that means people stop using them, the freemarket will come into action and prices will self-correct.

Which is just as it should be, irrespective of the nationality of the people riding in the back on them.\

The same principle applies to those who suggest there are too many taxis on the roads. Nonsense. There are exactly the number of taxis that the market - based on supply of a product at a certain price balanced against demand for that product at that price - will bear. It's a truism.

Edited by bendix

If anything they should lower the starting fare to attract more riders, so that people will take a taxi for more short trips instead of walking. Raising to 50 baht is a bad idea, that is too high and more people will think twice about just hoping in a taxi for short trips. They could change the formula to make it more expensive for longer trips, but short trips should be cheap to entice people to make impulse purchases of taxi trips.

35 Baht is just ridiculously low. They should increase to at least 50 Baht..

Perhaps there are too many taxis on the road but on a personal note, I find it very convenient not to have to wait under the hot sun for a taxi. There's usually one available easily and that to me is one part of 'good' service. Not having to wait too long for something.

You can't really blame the taxi driver for refusing to go to certain places. The main thing here is the traffic jams. Have you sat in a taxi in a traffic jam? The meter hardly moves while you're stuck forever on the road. From a business point a view, it just isn't worth it to pick up a passenger and get paid peanuts because of the traffic. Sure they're not supposed to do that but still, you have to empathise with them. They already make so little. If they're stuck in traffic for an hour, how much do they actually make from the ride? Now if they were to raise prices and make the meter jump a little more while the taxi doesn't move then maybe you'll have less taxi drivers not wanting to take you to certain parts of the city.

As for them driving irresponsibly. Well, it's the same even in places like Singapore. Perhaps it's worse here but to be fair, I think taxi drivers being <deleted> on the road are universal.

The taxis in the lower Sukhumvit area are constantly causing traffic jams, as they love to use atleast two lanes for parking, waiting, turning and so on. Its just too many of them.

Actually its illegal to not accepting a certain destination. If they won't go somewhere, its something wrong with the system. Too low waiting-rates?

Another way to help taxi drivers, would be a program to help them buy their own vehicle, so that they do not have to rent each day. How much is raising taxi fares going to actually help the driver, when the taxi fleet owners will just raise the taxi rental rate? This increase is going to go in to the pockets of the rich taxi fleet owners.

I have a personal taxi driver I always use to take me to the airport - a contact of a contact. If I know I'm going, I call him a day before to book him. He used to be a well-to-do (relatively) businessman, but lost everything in the aftermath of the 97 crash. So he started from scratch again, bought his own taxi and his wife (previously used to swanning around with her friends in malls all day) went back to work as a receptionist.

Lovely guy. Honest as the day is long. Totally trustworth and reliable.

Contrary to the common perception that all taxi-drivers are cheating shysters - something I've never bought into - this guy is a legend.

that's a good move , taxi drivers need to make a bit more money .... Reducing the amount of taxis in Bangkok will help also as on my opinion they are too many taxis ,

I disagree, I life in an area close to the center and it is sometimes impossible to get a taxi (waiting 30 minutes or longer) because they are all full. So limiting the number will mean longer waits.

Bangkok taxis have meters? Most of my journeys seem to start with "no meter".

Not sure where you are using taxis but in 5 or 6 years, i have never once had a taxi who tried to scam me or tried to not use the meter.

I use lots of Taxis each week. In 8 years I've only had one driver try it on. I took a taxi from Lumphini to Lam Luk Ka and the driver said, in very good English, "how much are you willing to pay". I quickly replied "how about what's on the meter, krup". He laughed very loudly and put the meter on and said, in a freindly way, "sorry, you can't blame me for asking!".

• Like 2

I disagree, I life in an area close to the center and it is sometimes impossible to get a taxi (waiting 30 minutes or longer) because they are all full. So limiting the number will mean longer waits.

Why wait, when you can pick up the phone and have a taxi delivered to your doorstep..

agree for the raise, the taxis are very cheap in bkk , compairing to other places in the world - singapore - you dont want to know

lets hope ,good for the drivers ,they can make a little bit more.

Wiggy , you done it now my friend

I also get this the first time I came in Thailand 1989, they had also taxis in bkk hahahahah

Why not 100 Baht flat rate anywhere to anywhere in Bangkok, buffet style.

This ensure the driver use the shortest route.

Also avoid the "no meter" or "fixed meter" problem.

LOL...no.............That would only increase the number of refusals for any trip over 2 kilometers! OMG. Think about it! too funny!

Have you seen a buffet resturant refusing a fat customer?

*sigh* Although your analogy makes little sense (because they would if they could, and since they can't the price of the meal is based on average consumption...skinny people 'pay more' to offset that) OK, fuzzy analogy aside. in plain English.

Taxi drivers behave in a way that maximizes profit and minimizes cost. Like all good businessmen. So, if a driver is around Sukhumvit Soi 11 around midnight, and they have a choice to go all the way to Krug Thon Buri, or a quick trip to a local hotel...which do you think they will choose. The hotel route uses little fuel, takes only a few minutes, may result in another fare (not deadheading back through traffic) and most importantly, lets him get right back to Soi 11 for another fare.

In your system the driver could make 500+ baht in one hour...verses 100, and (here is where it gets interesting) still be ahead by saying "no" since he has 59 more minutes to grab another fare, instead of a "sure 100 baht thing"...driving to where there are no more customers. Pretty simple. Really, have you thought this through?

I only comment on these posts because that is because it fascinates me when folks do not look at a revenue model and see where the maximum profit is. I mean, in a taxi drivers "perfect world" he would just drive back and forth from Soi 4 to Soi 11 all night long. Yes? I mean, do you think they will take you to the airport for 100 baht? That is pretty much what the fuel and rental cost for one hour.

At least even a fat person has an upper limit on what they can shovel down...where do you draw the line...Cambodia? Hua Hin? Phuket? The airport? Because the second you draw a line, bingo! You are right back to the current, and pretty great world...flag drop plus mileage.

Unless...you were just kidding...

Actually, there is an economic principle that says there are neiter to many or too few taxis...there are exactly the number of taxis required to service a population who uses them. It is known as "Supply / Demand / Equilibrium" What there are too few of, is BTS riders in off hours and all night service...perhaps a bump in fares will make that a more attractive option and expand the already great public transport system.

Why wait, when you can pick up the phone and have a taxi delivered to your doorstep..

Since he did not mention a shortage of tuk tuk or motorcycles...I am willing to guess he means, "when it is raining so hard, you can't see across the road." Yep, I bet this is a problem then, for him and 3 million other people.

Also lots of comments about 'never had a problem with cheating / not turn on the meter etc in 20 years'. Again their's the Thai customers analysis of Taxi drivers. for example, my adult Thai son forbids his wife to travel in a taxi alone after dark because of fear of molestation etc., (his wife agrees). Luckily we can make other arrangements.

We had a nanny for many years, If we asked her to work late it was automatic that she slept at our place overnight, and this was at the request of her husband, same reason.

The company I worked with for 10 years in BKK had a policy, no female staff (at any level) allowed to take taxis home after dark, always used reliable and trustworthy company drivers, and drivers had strict instructions to ensure the passenger was inside her front door before he departed.

But , then again.....not enough when you are waiting...!

Considering the variable condition of the taxis it`s good to have so many that you can choose from to avoid the ones with big bore exhausts, home made rear wings and music blaring out of the tinny speakers on the parcel shelf. Prices have been and will still be good value.