I Lost 35 Kilos Is Just 6 Months

jaideecm

Hmmm. 4 months later, and I've lost another 4kg and 1 1/2 inches off the waist. Shows that hard work coupled with reducing sugar intake and total input does result in weight loss, as have done no exercise other than physical work.

Has anyone else noticed that if you don't eat anything in the morning except fruit ( bananas in my case ) means that you don't get hungry till evening, whereas eating breakfast leads to feeling hungry by lunchtime?

I've done it enough times to know that it's not a "one off".

If I ate only bananas for breakfast I'd be ravenous an hour later. Fruit makes me extra hungry, and quickly. It's also not a good choice for people wanting to lose fat because bananas quickly turn to blood sugar and then fat.

I wake up hungry and my first meal is mainly protein and fat - about 100 grams of protein with fat from eggs and cashews and some flaxseed oil. Being low in carbs, it doesn't stimulate an insulin response and keeps me going through a tough workout at the gym. It also give me much more energy that a high carb breakfast.

I don't like the idea of having someone (a wife) cooking for me. I like to prepare the exact amounts to eat and eat exactly when I'm ready. It would be easy to get fat and lazy if someone was cooking delicious food all the time - that's not to say my food isn't delicious.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have lost 32 pound since the start of June.

I took my daughter to burger king and we had the worst burger ever whopper with bacon that came in at a whopping 960 calories each.

I downloaded an app called

My fitness pal that has really been my secret to loosing over 30 pound already.

It is also available for pc use

Try it.

Hmmm. 4 months later, and I've lost another 4kg and 1 1/2 inches off the waist. Shows that hard work coupled with reducing sugar intake and total input does result in weight loss, as have done no exercise other than physical work.

Has anyone else noticed that if you don't eat anything in the morning except fruit ( bananas in my case ) means that you don't get hungry till evening, whereas eating breakfast leads to feeling hungry by lunchtime?

I've done it enough times to know that it's not a "one off".

If I ate only bananas for breakfast I'd be ravenous an hour later. Fruit makes me extra hungry, and quickly. It's also not a good choice for people wanting to lose fat because bananas quickly turn to blood sugar and then fat.

I wake up hungry and my first meal is mainly protein and fat - about 100 grams of protein with fat from eggs and cashews and some flaxseed oil. Being low in carbs, it doesn't stimulate an insulin response and keeps me going through a tough workout at the gym. It also give me much more energy that a high carb breakfast.

I don't like the idea of having someone (a wife) cooking for me. I like to prepare the exact amounts to eat and eat exactly when I'm ready. It would be easy to get fat and lazy if someone was cooking delicious food all the time - that's not to say my food isn't delicious.

I guess it's different for everyone, but if I either don't eat at all, or just have bananas for b'fast, I can last till evening without feeling hungry, while I had cereal for b'fast this morning, at 1000, and when I started on the internet at 1400 this afternoon, I required a packet of Lay crisps and 2 large donuts with cream to stave off feelings of starvation.

I'm just discovering that fruit is not the best thing for a person on a diet, far from it. There's far more calories in fruit such as pineapple (170 per cup), bananas (200 calories each) and dates (70 calories each) than I would have ever guesssed. So for someone who thought they were eating healthily but was not losing weight, theres the reason why - and as an earlier poster pointed out, the impact on triglycerides caused by fruit is actually very nasty..

I guess it's different for everyone, but if I either don't eat at all, or just have bananas for b'fast, I can last till evening without feeling hungry, while I had cereal for b'fast this morning, at 1000, and when I started on the internet at 1400 this afternoon, I required a packet of Lay crisps and 2 large donuts with cream to stave off feelings of starvation.

Why not start off with a protein meal, low in carbs. You need to plan your meals better - leaving it until you get ravenous is making you reach for junk (donuts with cream and Lays crisps). If you'd had some raw nuts such as cashews you could have prevented the mad rush-to-junk too - you don't need a lot of nuts to make you feel satisfied.

There's more to diet than just feeling full - you need to get your daily nutrient intake to stay healthy.

• 2 weeks later...

The body needs protein in the morning. Boiled or poached eggs are a good way to go. No breakfast or sugary, high carbs in the morning is a bad recipe for the rest of the day. If I dont have eggs i have a smoothie with rice milk, banana, berries, yougurt, raw oats and protein powder.

I carry raw almonds (much better than cashews) and pumpkin seeds with me to snack on to keep me going and stop me eating too much junk.

On the subject of fruit i have been trying to convince people for years to stop bringing in bags of fruit for lunch thinking they are going to lost weight. But they never listen.

The body needs protein in the morning. Boiled or poached eggs are a good way to go.

That's what I do. About 100 grams of protein for breakfast which includes 4 or 5 boiled eggs. The whole breakfast contains about 15 grams of carbs.

After my workout I have a decent serve of carbs (oats, banana, raisins) with high protein (70 grams from WPC) to create an insulin spike, which quickly replenishes the fatigued muscles and facilitates a fast recovery.

The rest of the day high protein, low carbs. Fruit and nuts (cashews - much better than almonds smile.png) serve as snacks during the day.

Edited by tropo

The body needs protein in the morning. Boiled or poached eggs are a good way to go.

That's what I do. About 100 grams of protein for breakfast which includes 4 or 5 boiled eggs. The whole breakfast contains about 15 grams of carbs.

After my workout I have a decent serve of carbs (oats, banana, raisins) with high protein (70 grams from WPC) to create an insulin spike, which quickly replenishes the fatigued muscles and facilitates a fast recovery.

The rest of the day high protein, low carbs. Fruit and nuts (cashews - much better than almonds smile.png) serve as snacks during the day.

Yep good way to go. What most people dont realise is that they dont eat enough protein and then to compensate they eat all sorts of other rubbish. Rookie error. I also think you need to plan you meals because if you dont you start to eat too much junk.

I am just back from three weeks on holidays if France and Spain and it was a nightmare trying to keep to a good diet as I was staying in hotels and travelling all the time. Not many healthy options in France i can tell you. Everything has cheese or cream etc in it and shops all sell white baguettes with tiny amounts of meat inside.

Almonds vs cashews......cashews taste better but almonds have a lot going for them.....especially magnesium and calcium and they are very heart healthy. There was a study that indicated a handful of raw almonds a day decreased heart attacks or disease by 15percent. Interesting.

Almonds vs cashews......cashews taste better but almonds have a lot going for them.....especially magnesium and calcium and they are very heart healthy. There was a study that indicated a handful of raw almonds a day decreased heart attacks or disease by 15percent. Interesting.

Cashews (raw) are my choice solely on taste and enjoyment. They're only a mid-meal snack anyway and the important thing is I really have to enjoy it... and designed to stop me looking for junk to eat if I'm hungry. There is a big difference in different brands though. I found the best I've ever tasted at Villa Market. They're called "Sirichai 25".

I'll get myself a bag of almonds next time I shop to test them out.

Cashews (raw) are my choice solely on taste and enjoyment. They're only a mid-meal snack anyway and the important thing is I really have to enjoy it... and designed to stop me looking for junk to eat if I'm hungry. There is a big difference in different brands though. I found the best I've ever tasted at Villa Market. They're called "Sirichai 25".

I'll get myself a bag of almonds next time I shop to test them out.

Cashews do taste better no doubt.

It is hard to find the almonds fresh and crunchy here. It is a bit hit and miss. I also recommend the pumpkin seeds for the zinc as it is good for the prostate and general well being.

Sunflower seeds are a great source of good fats and are easily chucked in with muesli or salads.

I have a interesting source for those interested in macros and what body type at what level of activity is optimal.

I dont eat more than 300 calories in the first 6 hours of the day, I work out in a fasted state and after doing this only consume a protien shake. Meals increase as the day gets on but I will stop eating no sooner that 2.5 hours before bed with the last meal allways being hard boiled whole eggs, 2-3 of. My goal at present is to reduce my body fat so my total daily calorie intake is 1500 which I admit is low but because of the amount of protien I eat it feels like enough. I could comfortably include another 500 colories in carbs and I would be fine with that. If I chose to do that then it would be fructose ~ fruit carbs as this would also be contributing to my fibre intake as well. For me its all about fine tuning, listening to my body and trying different things at different times.

Op, your looking great and have done very well. You probably don't realise how much you have improved your life and your future. You have essentially achieved what something argaubly money can't buy and science can't create. Well done.

Damo

I don't guess when it comes to how much carbohydrates my body can handle. I test my blood sugar levels after meals with the goal of keeping my postprandial blood sugar below 100mg/dl and at the very most 110. If it goes above this I reduce the carb load of the meal.

After a workout my body can handle a bigger carb load. I've had readings in the 70's and 80's one hour after eating my post workout high carb/protein meal. This indicates that my insulin sensitivity after a hard workout is higher and the muscles quickly absorb the sugar... rather than convert it to fat at inactive times of the day.

Way to go, now you have to really keep an eye on the weight coming back. I am losing about same amount of weight too, but sadly it is the thrid time in 20 years I have needed to do so. Each time is harder. This time I am going to set a wieght which I must never exceed (80kg), and if I do I must immediatley start weight reduction and lose 3 kg.

I try and stay around 80kgs too. It seems to be a good weight for me. The extra goes to my gut and face

• 2 weeks later...

while I had cereal for b'fast this morning, at 1000, and when I started on the internet at 1400 this afternoon, I required a packet of Lay crisps and 2 large donuts with cream to stave off feelings of starvation.

When I eat all that processed grain stuff I am constantly hungry, bloated, and tired. When I focus my diet on meat, eggs, greens and colorful veg, and avoid starch, sugar, alcohol and most dairy I feel fantastic strong, and thin. I suppose to each his own! :)

I'm just discovering that fruit is not the best thing for a person on a diet, far from it. There's far more calories in fruit such as pineapple (170 per cup), bananas (200 calories each) and dates (70 calories each) than I would have ever guesssed. So for someone who thought they were eating healthily but was not losing weight, theres the reason why - and as an earlier poster pointed out, the impact on triglycerides caused by fruit is actually very nasty..

Your calorie counts are way too high:

1. Large banana (8" to 8 7/8") = 121 calories

2. Pineapple 1 cup = 78 calories

3. One date 30g = 35 calories

So eat up - they're not as fattening as you thought.

I don't think fruit in a healthy person on a well rounded diet will affect triglyceride at all.... and it would seem that people on total fruit diets can have very good triglyceride levels.

Here's some posts about that on another forum:

http://www.30bananasaday.com/forum/topics/does-fruit-really-raise?xg_source=activity

eating 3000-3500 calories of sweet fruit a day on avg hasn't given me high triglycerides, 1.42 mmol/L (125 mg/dl). some say eating lots of fruit makes the liver produce excess cholesterol, it's a myth, mine is 3.7 mmol/L (142 mg/dl) which is in the same range as the rural chinese. LDL is below 70 mg/dl (62) which is ideal. methinks this fruitbat is heart attack proof.

Dear Mr X,

Thank you for your concern.

I had my Triglyceride levels checked, after 18 years on a fruit diet.

The result 1.1 mmol/L, where the 'normal' range is 0.3–4.0mmol/L.

So I feel that for me at least eating a fruit diet will bring about healthy triglyceride levels.

Wishing you a Happy Day ♥

Love and Peaches,

from Anne XX.

More studies showing that exercise (aerobic and weight training) suppresses appetite.

Exercise Suppresses Appetite By Affecting Appetite Hormones

ScienceDaily (Dec. 19, 2008) — A vigorous 60-minute workout on a treadmill affects the release of two key appetite hormones, ghrelin and peptide YY, while 90 minutes of weight lifting affects the level of only ghrelin, according to a new study. Taken together, the research shows that aerobic exercise is better at suppressing appetite than non-aerobic exercise and provides a possible explanation for how that happens.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/12/081211081446.htm

Aerobic Exercise Increases A Blood Protein That May Suppress Appetite

ScienceDaily (June 18, 2008) — Three months of aerobic exercise decreased body fat and calorie intake in overweight and obese people, according to a new study, and the researchers believe that changes to a central nervous system factor are responsible.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/06/080616115855.htm

Edited by tropo

And a study comparing aerobic vs resistance training for fat loss.

Aerobic Exercise Bests Resistance Training at Burning Belly Fat

ScienceDaily (Aug. 31, 2011) — Aerobic exercise is your best bet when it comes to losing that dreaded belly fat, a new study finds. When Duke University Medical Center researchers conducted a head-to-head comparison of aerobic exercise, resistance training, and a combination of the two, they found aerobic exercise to be the most efficient and most effective way to lose the belly fat that's most damaging to your health.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/08/110825105018.htm

Edited by tropo

A bit of incentive to continue exercising even during a weight regaining phase.

Exercise Counters Negative Effects of Weight Regain, Researchers Find

ScienceDaily (Mar. 3, 2010) — With the obesity rate rising for American adults and children, health concerns such as diabetes and cardiovascular disease are a frequent reality. Although obesity itself is a major risk factor for disease, most of the threat may be associated with a cluster of risk factors called the metabolic syndrome (MetS). Losing weight can improve health and reduce these risk factors, but many people have difficulty keeping the weight off.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/03/100302131717.htm

Exercise Minimizes Weight Regain By Reducing Appetite And Burning Fat First, Carbs Later

ScienceDaily (Sep. 4, 2009) — Exercise helps prevent weight regain after dieting by reducing appetite and by burning fat before burning carbohydrates, according to a new study with rats. Burning fat first and storing carbohydrates for use later in the day slows weight regain and may minimize overeating by signaling a feeling of fullness to the brain.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/09/090902112103.htm

Putting On the Pounds After Weight Loss? Hit the Gym to Maintain Health Gains

ScienceDaily (Sep. 23, 2010) — Although obesity is a major risk factor for disease, much of the threat may be associated with the metabolic (or cardiometabolic) syndrome, a cluster of risk factors related to diabetes and heart disease. Losing weight can improve health and reduce many of these risk factors. However, many people struggle to keep the weight off long-term. Now, researchers at the University of Missouri have found that people who perform resistance training while regaining weight can help maintain strides in reducing their risks for chronic disease.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/09/100922124344.htm

As for the people who continue to believe that exercise is not necessary for weight control - God help you!... because we've tried and failed.

Edited by tropo

A bit of incentive to continue exercising even during a weight regaining phase.

Exercise Counters Negative Effects of Weight Regain, Researchers Find

Interesting, there are just as many studies coming out that excessive exercise does absolutely nothing for weight loss. It's really 90% diet based. I love exercising, but for me it's all about staying limber and having fun, so I go for nice long walks, have an easy swim, or play some badminton with the kids. I see people who are running an hour and a half a day and maxing out at the gym on weights 5 times a week who don't look like they are enjoying it and don't look particularly healthy as well.

And a study comparing aerobic vs resistance training for fat loss.

Aerobic Exercise Bests Resistance Training at Burning Belly Fat

ScienceDaily (Aug. 31, 2011) — Aerobic exercise is your best bet when it comes to losing that dreaded belly fat, a new study finds. When Duke University Medical Center researchers conducted a head-to-head comparison of aerobic exercise, resistance training, and a combination of the two, they found aerobic exercise to be the most efficient and most effective way to lose the belly fat that's most damaging to your health.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/08/110825105018.htm

I have read that before and based on my experience I am inclined to believe it.

When I do resistance training i get very hungry afterwards and eat more than I normally would.

When I play squash I dont eat a long time beforehand and I dont eat a long time afterwards and dont get any great hunger pangs after doing a very heavy squash session.

I have 3 types of days. Weight training days, cardio days and total rest days. I can't distinguish any hunger difference between cardio and weight days. I think about food the most on rest days partly because I have more time to think about it.

.. but it doesn't matter if I'm hungrier or not as to how much I eat. My meal plan is well organised to provide the same amount of protein, fats and carbs everyday.

Humans should be different than animals. We should be able to overcome urges in order to reach goals. I can walk past chocolate, cakes and ice cream quite easily despite loving all of it as much or even more than a fat guy who eats it everyday.

I think one of the rules of restricting calorie intake which is often overlooked is to make sure that you really enjoy what you eat. Someone would say to me: "why not have a cheat day?". I would reply that I don't need to cheat because I enjoy my food. I'm not sacrificing. I'm not one of those dry tuna and salad dieters.

Here's where cardio exercise comes in handy. It allows you to eat more and that allows you to enjoy your days more and makes the whole process easier.

When I do resistance training i get very hungry afterwards and eat more than I normally would.

When I play squash I dont eat a long time beforehand and I dont eat a long time afterwards and dont get any great hunger pangs after doing a very heavy squash session.

Here's where whey protein comes in handy. I don't care how hungry you feel post workout, if you consume a decent serve of whey protein (suggest WPC) (I take in 70 grams of protein from WPC post workout) with a small quantity of carbs (eg banana or other fruit) your hunger will disappear for many hours. If the hunger starts creeping back, a small hand full of raw nuts will send it away again. Failing that, some tea or coffee.

PWO (weight session) is the only time you should high (or moderate) carb. It will facilitate muscle recovery by quickly replenishing muscle and liver glycogen stores. It's the one time you can eat carbs and not worry about them turning to fat even if you're insulin resistant. The quantity of carbs consumed should be determined by how hard you've trained. I monitor this by testing my blood sugar one hour after carb consumption. If the blood sugar goes too high, then I've eaten too much carb. If my blood sugar is below 100 mg/dl, then I've got it right.

I'm fairly inactive for the rest of the day after my workouts, so there's no need to consume much more carbs for the rest of day and all other meals are low carb... and that includes my pre-workout meal which is high protein and very low carb.

Edited by tropo

Here's where whey protein comes in handy. I don't care how hungry you feel post workout, if you consume a decent serve of whey protein (suggest WPC) (I take in 70 grams of protein from WPC post workout) with a small quantity of carbs (eg banana or other fruit) your hunger will disappear for many hours. If the hunger starts creeping back, a small hand full of raw nuts will send it away again. Failing that, some tea or coffee.

PWO (weight session) is the only time you should high (or moderate) carb. It will facilitate muscle recovery by quickly replenishing muscle and liver glycogen stores. It's the one time you can eat carbs and not worry about them turning to fat even if you're insulin resistant. The quantity of carbs consumed should be determined by how hard you've trained. I monitor this by testing my blood sugar one hour after carb consumption. If the blood sugar goes too high, then I've eaten too much carb. If my blood sugar is below 100 mg/dl, then I've got it right.

I'm fairly inactive for the rest of the day after my workouts, so there's no need to consume much more carbs for the rest of day and all other meals are low carb... and that includes my pre-workout meal which is high protein and very low carb.

Yes I need to get into the habit of always taking some protein powder in a smoothie after a workout. I do sometimes but not always and then i tend to eat a lot and not necessarily all good stuff.

I too like good quality food and my body actually craves good quality food.By that I mean vegetables and fruit and good protein. I dont crave junk food generally because I dont feel good afterwards. My biggest problem with diet is that I travel a lot so it is hard finding what i want all the time.

Yes I need to get into the habit of always taking some protein powder in a smoothie after a workout. I do sometimes but not always and then i tend to eat a lot and not necessarily all good stuff.

I too like good quality food and my body actually craves good quality food.By that I mean vegetables and fruit and good protein. I dont crave junk food generally because I dont feel good afterwards. My biggest problem with diet is that I travel a lot so it is hard finding what i want all the time.

Do you guys have any idea's about the difference of real proteins vs protein powder and feeling saturated. Currently im real low carb and in the morning i take 500grams of plain yoghurt, 30 grams of musli, 70 grams of protein powder 15 grams of flax seed oil. Quite a big breakfast calorie wise.

60 x 4 = 240 from the protein powder

100 calories from the musli

15 x 9 = 135 from the flax seed oil

and 350 from the yoghurt

But still im not feeling satisfied for long, this is my largest meal of the day after that i taper it down. Usually taking 300 grams of beef and 250 grams of mixed veggies (peas carrots corn and beans) and as last meal 4 eggs and 30 grams of cheese. Day total is around 2000 cals or a bit above it. I feel most satisfied from my egg meal so i am tempted to cut down on protein powder and boil some eggs in the morning.

Like your guys imput Tolley / tropo

jaideecm,

Well done. Congratulations and keep it up. I bet you feel better and many things are easier to do.

Any specific ways you changed your diet? Just curious. Did you drink beer before? Cut back on beer, if you did?

Just asking because I am now losing weight, but at a slower pace, but I am staying consistent. I am still 40 lbs (about 20 kilos) over weight.

I changed everything in my diet and when I eat. Do not drink anything carbonated now.

Wake up and drink a full glass of water. I then have a slice of whole wheat toast (I make the bread myself) with Canole margarine and 1 cup of real coffee. I wait 2 hours then have a small bowl of oatmeal or granola with 0% fat milk with ground flax seed. I snack with walnuts, almonds and raisins. I then go to work out every other day. I start with 20 minutes on the tread then an hour upper and lower body weight training. I then do another 20 minutes on the treadmill then stretching. I ride my bike for 1 hour every morning the days I don't go to the gym.

After my workout I eat Thai food such as Cow Mun Guy (boiled chicken with rice) or salad with olive oil and vineger. When I don't go to the gym I eat canned sardines in tomatoe sauce or turkey breast and sweet potatoes, deer meat steak with salad or roasted tomatoes stuffed with tuna and herbs. I stop eating 4 hours before bedtime. I also drink a mixture of fruit and vegetable juice 3 time a day (I have my own juicer).

I also make my own

I eat nothing white except chicken and turkey breast. For rice I eat a combination of red and brow rice. Sure I have white rice when I eat at the mall as that is all they have. Eat nothing fried. I roast instead of frying in my toaster oven. If I have an craving for french fries (chips) I use sweet potatoes and blanch them in water for 8 minutes, let them dry for 4 hours in the fridge then fry in peanut oil at 185 C. This way they do not absorbe the fat.

For losing weight work out in the mornings, to gain muscle mass work out in the evening. Count those calories as you only lose weight when you burn more than you take in.

If you have any questions about nutrition and weight loss please ask via message and I will email you my fitness and weightloss guide I researched myself, works great.

Cheers,

Randy

Sounds good, but "eat nothing white" except chicken & turkey meat, i thought that fish was supposed to be good for one ?

I think that the statement that Thai ladies prefer fat men is just a story put out by the Bavarian Embassy !

A lot of women don't like skinny men - and they would take fatter over skinny. Of course what is "fat" and what is "skinny" is open to interpretation.

I would guess that the OP was "more popular" at the higher body weight, but let's face it, at his age he's no superstar no matter what his weight is.

This leads us to another problem... Fat people who lose a ton of weight without a good resistance program to build muscle are not going to look too good when the fat has disappeared. They'll change from "fat" to "skinny fat".