Its Raining In Chiang Rai

dindong

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not that much of a trick VF, you really just have to stand under cover of some sort...... like a roof maybe?

Guess I am referring to my own experience then. I’m not much for city photography and the last time I had an opportunity for a great rain shot, I was on a muddy trail in a torrential downpour. Nowhere to hide.

Besides I was just trying to be nice and supportive.wink.png Maybe even get the guy to post again sometime as there is a dearth of posters these days.

Edited by villagefarang

Thunder and wind - the rain is on it's way to me in Yonok

Come and gone

What a profound and fascinating thread! biggrin.png

When the topic was started back in March we were suffering from extremely bad smoke pollution and hadn't had rain for quite a while so it was quite a big deal when it started to rain, not sure why it needs constant updates during the rainy season though but each to their own.

That smoke and haze worries me a bit. I've come across comments on this forum praising the clarity of the sky, when it's not raining that is. I recall its clarity being compared with van Gogh's Starry Night. I think VillageFarang might have posted the video of the song with images of van Gogh's paintings. Not sure, but it was a terrific advertisement for Chiang Rai.

I visited Maehongson and Pai last January/February. The scenery was beautiful, but spoilt by the haze which I believe is due to the clearing and burning of land by the Hill Tribes prior to the planting of rice. I'm guessing the same situation applies in Chiang Rai.

I found Maehongson charming. Is anyone able to give me a comparison with Chiang Rai? Which is more beautiful? smile.png

That smoke and haze worries me a bit. I've come across comments on this forum praising the clarity of the sky, when it's not raining that is. I recall its clarity being compared with van Gogh's Starry Night. I think VillageFarang might have posted the video of the song with images of van Gogh's paintings. Not sure, but it was a terrific advertisement for Chiang Rai.

I visited Maehongson and Pai last January/February. The scenery was beautiful, but spoilt by the haze which I believe is due to the clearing and burning of land by the Hill Tribes prior to the planting of rice. I'm guessing the same situation applies in Chiang Rai.

I found Maehongson charming. Is anyone able to give me a comparison with Chiang Rai? Which is more beautiful? smile.png

I only do original content so the youtube piece would have come from Jubby most likely. With beauty in the eye of the beholder, I would not be inclined to take a position on which place is more beautiful. I am sure you have the capacity to find beauty in both Mae Hong Son and the countryside around Chiang Rai. As you noticed, the plusses of the cool season are balanced by the loss of green in the fields and mountains, blue in the sky, and the beginning of the burning season. Why not come to Chiang Rai and see for yourself. Then you can tell us what you think. Edited by villagefarang

I only do original content so the youtube piece would have come from Jubby most likely. With beauty in the eye of the beholder, I would not be inclined to take a position on which place is more beautiful. I am sure you have the capacity to find beauty in both Mae Hong Son and the countryside around Chiang Rai. As you noticed, the plusses of the cool season are balanced by the loss of green in the fields and mountains, blue in the sky, and the beginning of the burning season. Why not come to Chiang Rai and see for yourself. Then you can tell us what you think.

Hi,

That's just what I intend doing, maybe around November/December this year. One lasting impression of Maehongson that stays with me, is the fact that I could borrow one of the hotel's free bicycles and ride around the city centre feeling totally safe. The traffic was relatively sparse for Thailand, and the drivers of other vehicles on the road seemed to drive slowly and carefully, in no great hurry.

The contrast with Bangkok or even Chiang Mai was startling. I felt as though I was in some enchanted land, in Maehongson.

I only do original content so the youtube piece would have come from Jubby most likely. With beauty in the eye of the beholder, I would not be inclined to take a position on which place is more beautiful. I am sure you have the capacity to find beauty in both Mae Hong Son and the countryside around Chiang Rai. As you noticed, the plusses of the cool season are balanced by the loss of green in the fields and mountains, blue in the sky, and the beginning of the burning season. Why not come to Chiang Rai and see for yourself. Then you can tell us what you think.

Hi,

That's just what I intend doing, maybe around November/December this year. One lasting impression of Maehongson that stays with me, is the fact that I could borrow one of the hotel's free bicycles and ride around the city centre feeling totally safe. The traffic was relatively sparse for Thailand, and the drivers of other vehicles on the road seemed to drive slowly and carefully, in no great hurry.

The contrast with Bangkok or even Chiang Mai was startling. I felt as though I was in some enchanted land, in Maehongson.

I think you will find Chiang Rai dwelling in a realm somewhere between Chiang Mai and Mae Hong Son. We are smaller than Chiang Mai but growing rapidly and suffering some of the growing pains that come with unfettered expansion.

The beauty of Chiang Rai is not so much in the city itself but in the surrounding countryside. November/December is an excellent time for road trips to the mountains and waterfalls, or along the rivers. Expect Chiang Rai to be different from Mae Hong Son.

Hi,

I think you will find Chiang Rai dwelling in a realm somewhere between Chiang Mai and Mae Hong Son. We are smaller than Chiang Mai but growing rapidly and suffering some of the growing pains that come with unfettered expansion.

The beauty of Chiang Rai is not so much in the city itself but in the surrounding countryside. November/December is an excellent time for road trips to the mountains and waterfalls, or along the rivers. Expect Chiang Rai to be different from Mae Hong Son.

Ah! That may be a problem for me. Having experienced the Shang-ri-la effect of Maehongson, perhaps I will be disappointed with Chiang Rai.

I was terribly impressed by the fact that Maehongson, despite its aura of being a quiet village, has an airport and a large hospital. The centre of the town is beautiful because of the lake, surrounded by a temple and various restaurants. Not many towns have a lake right in the centre.

Please do your best to sell me on the beauties of Chiang Rai. smile.png

Here is a quote from a recent thread here on the forum.

There is so much to see and do, it is difficult to know where to begin. Here is a tiny selection of images.

Day%25201%2520%2520008.jpg

White Temple

Mae%2520Salong%2520%2520005.jpg

Doi Mae Salong

DSC04489_2.jpg

Elephant Camp

DSC07071_2.jpg

Black Village

Day%25201%2520%2520003.jpg

Doi Tung

Central%2520%2520002.jpg

Central Plaza

Doi%2520Din%2520Dang%2520%2520009.jpg

Doy Din Dang

Chiwit%2520%2520004.jpg

Chivit Thamma Da

Pha%2520Dai%252C%2520Mekong%2520%2520005.jpg

Mekong River

Potluck%2520%2520003%2520%25281%2529.jpg

Hot Springs

There is so much to see and do, it is difficult to know where to begin. Here is a tiny selection of images.

The first image is astounding. I've seen it before and I'm very impressed.My only criticism would be that the faces of the two monks on the left are too dark. In Photoshop they could be easily lightened. That would improve the image. But I suspect this is just a jpeg out of the camera. But it's fantastic nevertheless.

Maybe at 6am in the morning I might capture something similar, without those infuriating tourists in the way. biggrin.png

The first image is astounding. I've seen it before and I'm very impressed.My only criticism would be that the faces of the two monks on the left are too dark. In Photoshop they could be easily lightened. That would improve the image. But I suspect this is just a jpeg out of the camera. But it's fantastic nevertheless.

Maybe at 6am in the morning I might capture something similar, without those infuriating tourists in the way. biggrin.png

Thank you.smile.png Unfortunately that shot was taken with my old camera which did not have the option of shooting in RAW, so there is not much to be recovered from the darker areas. The shot has been cropped as well so there isn’t much detail around their faces to begin with. The perfect shot seems always beyond ones reach.wink.png

I understand what you mean. I prefer cameras that have a RAW capability. I like to pretend I am an artist. Whether or not I am is a matter of opinion, but a RAW image is like a film negative. The print can always be improved upon at some later stage. If you've lost the negative, your at a serious disadvantage.

I suspect there are lots of small critters around Chiang Rai, butterflies, lizards, snakes, grasshoppers and a variety of birds, not to mention monkeys. Should I bring a 600mm lens with macro capability? smile.png

I understand what you mean. I prefer cameras that have a RAW capability. I like to pretend I am an artist. Whether or not I am is a matter of opinion, but a RAW image is like a film negative. The print can always be improved upon at some later stage. If you've lost the negative, your at a serious disadvantage.

I suspect there are lots of small critters around Chiang Rai, butterflies, lizards, snakes, grasshoppers and a variety of birds, not to mention monkeys. Should I bring a 600mm lens with macro capability? smile.png

If you don’t mind lugging the equipment around by all means bring something that expands your scope of subjects. Chiang Saen Lake is a great birding area and there are monkeys at Tham Pum Tham Pla. A telephoto makes it easier to get candid shots of the locals as well if you like portraits. If you have an eye for it, there is no shortage of things to shoot.smile.png

Cheese and crackers, it's a war zone over here! My monitor actually wobbled after one of the booms.

Great thunder, but I am not going outside to watch the lightning

I know what you mean about the thunder. Late at night is the worst for me, when it explodes and then rumbles along like a freight train that never ends. Drives the dogs crazy too and the one that sleeps in our room keeps coming over and breathing in our faces asking for comfort and reassurance. Makes sleeping very difficult.

Anyone else getting this storm... aye caramba!

Another photo more zoomed in.

The first one was a 180 degree panorama.

post-29230-0-30782700-1347557879_thumb.j

Hey that's cool, we have too many mountains around and can't really see the storms coming till they're 10 minutes away. But I had a feeling that storm would have looked menacing from further away. Huge amount of rain at first, and it didn't stop raining until dawn.