Crackdown On Land Owned By Foreign Residents

george

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is the Condo route so unacceptable...I still don't get this. Large condos are available, and those you can own outright.

Not to mention that I believe people choosing to live in a completely foreign land have to be some what of risk takers. If they are in love and care so much about their family here then simply let the wife put the house in her name. There are few western places where the more well off partner (usually the man) doesn't lose a lot (including the house) in an ugly marriage break-up.

On a kind of cynical note, I almost feel like this law should never change, regardless of the current socioeconomic needs of Thailand, until the majority of foreigners learn to accept this is not their country and Thailand doesn't revolve around them and their needs.

Not to steer this topic in a different direction but does anybody know if there is a thread that cover this or there is some link somebody can send me in regards to financing a house or condo here when married to a Thai wife whose income wouldn't qualify for a loan. I am basically looking for a way to have my income considered and not sure how to do that with a house that I cannot be owner or even how a Condo purchase would work if you didn't pay cash. Do the banks even really care about qualifying for a loan in terms of income if you put down a significant down payment?

Again any links covering the basics would really be appreciated. All this talk of owning a home has pushed me to going down this road so at least there is some kind of investment "for the wife" that the rent is going to each month.

A lot of that land may be owned by Chinese ,I read here in Thaivisa in a post a while ago ,that they own a lot of agricultural land in Thailand .

I think they (Chinese vs. Thai-Chinese) own and are buying up a lot of farming land in a lot of places.

1.5 Billion mouths to feed and controlling food supplies is probably not a bad investment for possibly the next global leader.

So if I buy a property for my Thai girlfriend (I put up the money but the title is in her name) it's illegal?

There is absolutely nothing wrong or illegal with you giving your wife, girlfriend or any other Thai money for them to buy property but it is their property and not yours and you didn't buy anything for anyone. You gave them money is all.

Edited by Nisa

And if you are confident that your relationship will last forever, or that you can afford to lose that amount of money, it is your decision. But do think very carefully before you give _anything_ away to another person, no matter how much you may love and trust them. If it all goes south, will you survive ok?

So if I buy a property for my Thai girlfriend (I put up the money but the title is in her name) it's illegal?

There is absolutely nothing wrong or illegal with you giving your wife, girlfriend or any other Thai money for them to buy property but it is their property and not yours and you didn't buy anything for anyone. You gave them money is all.

Edited by Reasonableman

What will they do, make her sell it or just take it away from her, maybe throw both of us in jail.

What a truly democratic country this is, why not worry about something important eh??

Not to steer this topic in a different direction but does anybody know if there is a thread that cover this or there is some link somebody can send me in regards to financing a house or condo here when married to a Thai wife whose income wouldn't qualify for a loan. I am basically looking for a way to have my income considered and not sure how to do that with a house that I cannot be owner or even how a Condo purchase would work if you didn't pay cash. Do the banks even really care about qualifying for a loan in terms of income if you put down a significant down payment?

Again any links covering the basics would really be appreciated. All this talk of owning a home has pushed me to going down this road so at least there is some kind of investment "for the wife" that the rent is going to each month.

Well said, Nisa. Nice to meet a decent chap on here

I'm not absolutely certain about this but I don't believe a foreigner can obtain a mortgage or even guarantee a loan. The only route is to see your wife has the funds to purchase the house herself.

BTW...... anyone able to decipher what the swisstouristpattaya is on about?

Edited by bigbamboo

Get a lawyer.

What will they do, make her sell it or just take it away from her, maybe throw both of us in jail.

What a truly democratic country this is, why not worry about something important eh??

I'm not absolutely certain about this but I don't believe a foreigner can obtain a mortgage or even guarantee a loan. The only route is to see your wife has the funds to purchase the house herself.

A foreigner can get a bank mortgage here if you qualify but I believe the max they will give you is 50% of the bank determined value whereas a Thai can get 80%.

^^

The legal term is "adverse possession". I am 99% sure that it does not exist in Thailand...if someone is squatting on land they are doing so illegally and can be evicted. The doctrine of adverse possession developed from British common law where the most valuable commodity was land, and it was not to be wasted. Thai law is not based upon British common law.

99% wrong then....

And if you are confident that your relationship will last forever, or that you can afford to lose that amount of money, it is your decision. But do think very carefully before you give _anything_ away to another person, no matter how much you may love and trust them. If it all goes south, will you survive ok?

I would personally advice against anyone putting all their eggs in one basket especially if that basket is a foreign land purchase and you are an individual regardless if that country lets you purchase land in your name or not.

However, you seem to be stuck on circumstances in the future of what does the farang get out of "giving" money to somebody else. If you give money to somebody then it was a gift and if you expect something in return then it is not a gift.

As i mentioned before, there are legal ways that allow you to continue to live in the house should your wife die as well as making sure the house is passed along to the kids.

Would you decline to marry the women you love in the west because she owned a beautiful home that she wanted you to move into after marriage to raise the kids or would you demand that your name must be on the title?

Okay, not a fair comparison because you are no putting up the money for the house but still something to consider because there is some relevance.

Indeed, a gift is a gift. A gift is something you give freely, and you expect nothing back. This mechanism is not a gift, it is a transfer of assets made under duress, with no security for the "donor" whatsoever. You may be happy with that, but others are not.

I would personally advice against anyone putting all their eggs in one basket especially if that basket is a foreign land purchase and you are an individual regardless if that country lets you purchase land in your name or not.

However, you seem to be stuck on circumstances in the future of what does the farang get out of "giving" money to somebody else. If you give money to somebody then it was a gift and if you expect something in return then it is not a gift.

As i mentioned before, there are legal ways that allow you to continue to live in the house should your wife die as well as making sure the house is passed along to the kids.

Would you decline to marry the women you love in the west because she owned a beautiful home that she wanted you to move into after marriage to raise the kids or would you demand that your name must be on the title?

Okay, not a fair comparison because you are no putting up the money for the house but still something to consider because there is some relevance.

<snip>

For all the others who enjoy Thailand and its people, and not beating our heads against a wall, we have found a way to have homes and live happily with our families.

I have recently just completed building a house to the tune of some 2 million baht (original budget was 400-500 k but you know how these things get out of hand). Is the land in my name? No. Is the house in my name (all these 30 year lease loopholes and so on and so forth)? No. Car in my name? No. Why oh why? Apart from the probable fact that I'm a fool, my wife has given (and is still giving) me a good life and a beautiful son. What happens if I get kicked out tomorrow? That's life, karma, whatever you want to call it.

My ex-English wife did not take me to the cleaners either - just half of everything that I have earned over many years of hard work. I still pay monthly maintenance to my kids, as this is my duty and responsibility as a father. Even if I should kick the bucket tomorrow, I have enough money in the UK to provide for them into adulthood. Why should I deprive my new family of the same things that my old family enjoyed? If I do kick the bucket tomorrow, I must ensure as well that my new family is well provided for, meaning the rest of my worldly assets.

Try this sometime. Some of you might actually start to understand why some say that it is better to give than to receive.

<snip>

For all the others who enjoy Thailand and its people, and not beating our heads against a wall, we have found a way to have homes and live happily with our families.

I have recently just completed building a house to the tune of some 2 million baht (original budget was 400-500 k but you know how these things get out of hand). Is the land in my name? No. Is the house in my name (all these 30 year lease loopholes and so on and so forth)? No. Car in my name? No. Why oh why? Apart from the probable fact that I'm a fool, my wife has given (and is still giving) me a good life and a beautiful son. What happens if I get kicked out tomorrow? That's life, karma, whatever you want to call it.

My ex-English wife did not take me to the cleaners either - just half of everything that I have earned over many years of hard work. I still pay monthly maintenance to my kids, as this is my duty and responsibility as a father. Even if I should kick the bucket tomorrow, I have enough money in the UK to provide for them into adulthood. Why should I deprive my new family of the same things that my old family enjoyed? If I do kick the bucket tomorrow, I must ensure as well that my new family is well provided for, meaning the rest of my worldly assets.

Try this sometime. Some of you might actually start to understand why some say that it is better to give than to receive.

clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif could not have said it better myself. If you dont trust your wife family then better not have them clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

Indeed, a gift is a gift. A gift is something you give freely, and you expect nothing back. This mechanism is not a gift, it is a transfer of assets made under duress, with no security for the "donor" whatsoever. You may be happy with that, but others are not.

Agreed, then they shouldn't do it. But why would a foreigner be under duress to give a cash gift to somebody to buy property with condos available and rents so cheap in Thailand? Although I am sure there are some wives who no doubt can be very persuasive and pushy but that is a whole other topic. wink.png

Xenophobia at its finest.

How about... Thai people stop selling your land because you are broke, usually because you lost large sums playing cards or buying crap you can't afford. But never fear my broke and needy Thai friends, you're all about to be given credit cards. Then the banks can take your land. Problem solved.

Just look over the Border, an Asean Country on the way to become a developed Country by 2020. As foreigner, you can buy an house, it is welcome.

yesterday in the news:

"

JOHOR BARU: Japanese investors plan to develop Malaysia's first "Little Japan" township in Taman Molek here for high net worth ethnic Japanese keen to relocate and make Malaysia their second home.

Global Asia Assets (M) Sdn Bhd (GAAM), an asset-building consulting company for Japanese investors, which is behind the project, hopes to woo 2,000 wealthy Japanese to live, work or do business here within the next few years.

GAAM chief executive officer Fujimura Masanori said since March last year, some 70 Japanese individuals had already relocated here under the Malaysia My Second Home (MM2H) programme.

Additionally, 365 Japanese investors have also acquired high-end residential and commercial properties worth more than RM400mil here since January last year and are expected to also move here permanently soon.

"In view of the overwhelming response, we are eager to kick start the "Little Japan" project in Taman Molek where Japanese individuals are expected to invest over RM500mil in landed houses and luxury apartments over the next few years," said Fujimura.

"Sure, the factories will follow.... No risk of flooding here....Huge Universities complex at proximity giving all the skilled workforce...An Asean example for Thailand

^^

If you want to go buy in Malaysia, by all means. However, I don't think it will be quite as much "fun" as Thailand. Malaysia is still a Muslim country, and I don't think that the past time of drinking and womanizing, will be easier over there. ;)

Why is the Condo route so unacceptable...I still don't get this. Large condos are available, and those you can own outright.

"Living with a Thai lady from the Country, we want to live in her village, with our children and doggies, peacefully. i need a small garden in order to get my own herbs for cooking. My In law family is very respectable and we try to help each other. I am happy to be accepted by their community. Why do you want we spend our life in a Condo?.... It is a dead end for me.

^^

If you want to go buy in Malaysia, by all means. However, I don't think it will be quite as much "fun" as Thailand. Malaysia is still a Muslim country, and I don't think that the past time of drinking and womanizing, will be easier over there. wink.png

Personnally, I do not have those problems ( drinking, womanizing) as I am happy with my Thai Lady and do not want to look elsewhere. Also I have stopped drinking alcohol years ago, (but not for religious issues, only because I noticed alcohol is destroying my energy).

However, in Malaysia, do not forget there are 30% of Chinese who like enjoying themselves a lot. Some areas of Kuala Lumpur (Bangsar for example, very frequented by foreigners) have all the required bars, clubs and (thai) massage parlours. However animating ladies are Chinese (from Mainland) , Vietnamese and only few are Thais from what I have heard. In Langkawi, there is no tax on alcohol, you have few restaurants managed by westerners, a community of expatriates with a lot of mixed couple including Thais-Farangs.

Malaysia is very tolerant. Malacca, Penang, Langkawi are far to be dull cities.

But with Thai Children to grow up, a nice in-law family, Thailand is where we want to stay: we just wish a less xenophobic atmosphere, more comprehensive for farangs.

Thais Middle Class and Elite should understand it is their long term interest to get a more open attitude. Today, as results of successive and various policies, they are mainly succeeding in sheltering maffiosi from all over the world instead of attracting educated people who can help developing their beautiful Country. The result is that areas like Pattaya or Phuket are 'gangterised" and instead to attract high income tourists, they have mostly all the western unwanted people and poor backpackers: Tourism in Thailand is sinking.

In a previous thread, I have underlined how a Country like Spain was consolidating its tourism income. Some tourists are becoming residents on the coastal areas or islands. Those new residents are a permanent income flow: purchasing locally, improving their houses, hiring local contractors and services....More, families and friends are visiting them.

How Thailand is preparing skilled and knowledgeable workforce for attracting high income businesses? We have recently seen the poor education level of the current student generation. So Thailand is heading to "low skilled"and low income activities? It is not what I wish for my Thai children.

On the other hand, Malaysia has understood the interest to get on board skilled and knowledgeable foreigners, currently they propose a 10 year visa (renewable) if you are in this category. Malaysia is booming... 10 years ago, Malaysia and Thailand were neck to neck: today one is becoming a developped country and the other one (that I love and am not happy to see where it goes) is heading to the abyss...

Wake up Thailand.....

^^

If you want to go buy in Malaysia, by all means. However, I don't think it will be quite as much "fun" as Thailand. Malaysia is still a Muslim country, and I don't think that the past time of drinking and womanizing, will be easier over there. wink.png

While appreciating your irony, it should be pointed out that for many non-Thai residents of Thailand, these "fun" factors are completely irrelevant, even abhorrent. We just want the best possible lives and futures for our families, our kids, and their kids.

• Like 1

^^

While appreciating your irony, it should be pointed out that for many non-Thai residents of Thailand, these "fun" factors are completely irrelevant, even abhorrent. We just want the best possible lives and futures for our families, our kids, and their kids.

And sadly some farang on TV still don't get this.