Buying A Cell Phone In Cm

Monkey Fish

Hey all,

Does anybody have a recommendation as to where to shop for a cell phone in Chiang Mai? I'm actually looking for one new and one used, so recommendations for either type are welcome. Fyi, I'm near Central on Huai Kaeo.

Incidentally, I'm heading to Bangkok next week. Is there a significant price difference between here and there?

Thanks for your help

Hey all,

Does anybody have a recommendation as to where to shop for a cell phone in Chiang Mai?  I'm actually looking for one new and one used, so recommendations for either type are welcome.  Fyi, I'm near Central on Huai Kaeo.

Incidentally, I'm heading to Bangkok next week.  Is there a significant price difference between here and there?

Thanks for your help

I bought my last two phones at the DTAC shop on the bottom floor of Central Shopping Center (near Tops). There are several shops there so you can compare costs. They will probably be able to help with 2nd hand phones too.

Edited by tywais

The third floors at Central as well as Airport Plaza are the tech floors and you will find a bunch of cell phones. But what I have found is that Airport is better price wise but only by maybe 500Bt or so on high end cell phones that are going for over 10,000Bt. The price difference you will find is going from one shop to the next asking about a phone or two when the venders see you walking some will drop their price a bit. What I have seen between BKK and CM is the price is about the same maybe 500Bt difference here and there again.

As for second hand, phones I have had a few friends that have bought second hand phones and they really suck. The shop did not clean them or do anything to make them a good phone again. And knowing how my phone is used and handled I would never want to buy a second hand phone. There are many inexpensive, very reliable, phones on the market, which you can buy new.

Right, the cheapest Nokia (1110) is actually a very, very good phone and costs under 3000 baht. Not fancy of course, but works very well and has a surprising number of functions that were only found on 'business phones' just a couple of years ago.

Price difference for the cheapest shops between Bangkok and Chiang Mai is indeed a couple hundred baht.. Usually I don't bother and just buy from J-Mart where I know I get a new phone straight out of the box that hasn't been demo'd and toyed around with.

For second hand phones, chances are there's bigger choice and lower prices at MBK in Bangkok.. (But that place is just such over-kill it's boardering the rediculous)

Cheers,

Chanchao