Has Anyone Tried Those Expensive Japanese Strawberries?

tubehero

Dear all,

Last week I visited the Gourmet Market and was astonished to find that they were selling expensive Japanese strawberries. A box of 9 berries would cost around 800 baht, so essential one equals 100 baht.

Are they really that special? Has anyone tried and what do you think?

900 baht at isetan ohmy.png

Tasty? huh.png

Just buy the cheaper ones and cover them in cream. Works for me......anyone for tennis? tongue.png

cant afford it :lol: i only looked :P

the best Ive had is from ChiangRai actually

hard to describe, but sorta crunchy on the outside, and soft inside. very sweet, but not sickly so

mmmmmmmmmmmmm

Hi everyone, so I conclude that I should not buy those Japanese strawberries.

However, I have not been able to find good berries here. For example, I bought a small box of American strawberries at Gourmet market, but it feels mediocre.

Any place to consider?

Thank you

900 baht at isetan ohmy.png

Tasty? huh.png

Just buy the cheaper ones and cover them in cream. Works for me......anyone for tennis? tongue.png

cant afford it laugh.png i only looked tongue.png

the best Ive had is from ChiangRai actually

hard to describe, but sorta crunchy on the outside, and soft inside. very sweet, but not sickly so

mmmmmmmmmmmmm

Did you dip them in chocolate?

Come on...fess up! tongue.png

Hi everyone, so I conclude that I should not buy those Japanese strawberries.

However, I have not been able to find good berries here. For example, I bought a small box of American strawberries at Gourmet market, but it feels mediocre.

Any place to consider?

Thank you

I wouldn't pay 800 Baht for a punnet of strawbs. Get some bananas or pineapple instead!

tubehero

there is another japanese or might be korean import strawberries - costs 189Baht at central chidlom

they were already very good

pricy nonetheless.

i only had them once. ever

note to that yid: as a special rare occasion treat ONLY! not a habitual thing

the chiangrai ones were absolutely ohhh so yummy! but can only get that when my source goes to CR and is kind enough to come back with a small tray for me. (150Baht I think)

and NO! wouldnt not dip such fine quality strawbs in anything. not even chocolates. why change something that is already so exceptional in itself? :)

smokie my 'sweetness' (pun intended)

if you ever get to try these strawbs you will understand why I tell you again - no additives of any kind needed

:licklips:

i did see those japanese strawberries, but i am not a strawberry fan, so have not tried them yet. However, i have tried those gigantic japanese apples, which are the size of grapefruits, and cost about 200 baht each. they are nice apples - sweet and crisp - but i have tasted equally as good for 20 baht an apple. I also bought a 500 baht box of those large tangerines, and they are really nice, and worth the extra expense.

The strawberries aren't meant to be bought and eaten. They (along with melons and a few other fruit) are intended as gifts. They're supposed to look perfect and be really expensive so that the recipient realises how much "you care". In this context taste isn't that important.

yes i think they were 189 baht!

expensive but still better than 900. you can then give the 711Baht as beer funds to smokie :D

he will love you forever then

yes i think they were 189 baht!

expensive but still better than 900. you can then give the 711Baht as beer funds to smokie biggrin.png

he will love you forever then

I know a bar which sells strawberry beer...or banana beer if you prefer...

I'd like to try these 900 Baht strawbs though....are they talked to every day by the Japanese emperor or what?

• 2 weeks later...

Wasnt expecting a delivery but got home and found this little paclage of surprise waiting for me :)

dont let the pale ish colours fool you. It is the best strawberries ive had (but keep in mind ive not and will prolly not get to try those 900baht a pack ones :P )

post-22734-133337733572_thumb.jpg

Wasnt expecting a delivery but got home and found this little paclage of surprise waiting for me smile.png

dont let the pale ish colours fool you. It is the best strawberries ive had (but keep in mind ive not and will prolly not get to try those 900baht a pack ones tongue.png )

Perfect. I'll bring the nice bread and we can have toast with jam for breakfast.....tongue.png

Wasnt expecting a delivery but got home and found this little paclage of surprise waiting for me smile.png

dont let the pale ish colours fool you. It is the best strawberries ive had (but keep in mind ive not and will prolly not get to try those 900baht a pack ones tongue.png )

Perfect. I'll bring the nice bread and we can have toast with jam for breakfast.....tongue.png

you better hurry in that case :whistling:

finished half pack late last night.....and just about to munch on the rest for my morning tea

although...why make jam out of these luscious strawbs........

you better hurry in that case whistling.gif

finished half pack late last night.....and just about to munch on the rest for my morning tea

although...why make jam out of these luscious strawbs........

Very healthy of you!

Don't worry 'bout the rest of us scurvy laden pirates...arrrrr