Duty Free Apple Store In Suvarnabumi

Where are you flying to and will you be returning to Bangkok?

If you are returning and can wait until you get back you have the chance to check out prices at the airport and at your destination.

Or call King Power on 02-677-8899 and ask what's available and the prices.

The airport shops are rip-offs. Prices are exactly the same, only they don't charge VAT.

I got it. So best would be to buy in bkk i guess.

make sure you get your vat refund receipt....so you can grab the vat refund on the way out.

There is no Apple Store at the airport. There is, though, a store sells some Apple products, but they are the same price if not more than in the cbd.

Best option is buy in town and claim the VAT refund at the airport. I did that when I bought my MacBook Air. No hassles at all.

I think a MacPro is a desktop-ish unit? I assume that it might be challenging to get airside: through security and/or maybe it is too large for carry-on? So now you might have to check it as luggage. You could of course still claim VAT if you were to purchase it anywhere in Thailand prior to your departure. Just make sure the store will provide you with the required documentation.

i already purchased the macbookpro, here in bkk. i also received tax return form but i'm not sure i could get the return since i reside here on a retirement visa.

does anybody know?

I saw this topic stuck at the top of this sub-forum:

Where it says:

Who Qualifies:

Any non-Thai visitor who is not an airline crew member and departs Thailand by air from an international airport. (These are Bangkok, Chiang Mai, U-Tapao, Hat Yai, and Phuket)

i already purchased the macbookpro, here in bkk. i also received tax return form but i'm not sure i could get the return since i reside here on a retirement visa.

does anybody know?

I saw this topic stuck at the top of this sub-forum: http://www.thaivisa....-refund-primer/

Where it says:

Who Qualifies:

Any non-Thai visitor who is not an airline crew member and departs Thailand by air from an international airport. (These are Bangkok, Chiang Mai, U-Tapao, Hat Yai, and Phuket)

The wording is lazy, but even the laziness makes it clear that barshomlit won't be eligible for a tax refund because he is not a visitor - he lives here.

The intent of VAT refunds is clear - it is to reimburse international visitors when they depart the country. Citizens, residents, expat retirees who live in Thailand are obviously not eligible.

The electronics duty free shops at Suvarnabhumi used to sell Apple computers a couple of years ago, but they no longer do. Prices were quite good, actually, and better than at the shops in town. The prices at Apple shops in Thailand, minus the 7% VAT refund for tourists, are still higher than USA prices, but Apple prices in Thailand would be lower than prices in Europe. For example, the base model 13" Macbook Pro in the UK would cost the equivalent of 48,275 THB, while in Thailand, that would cost 39,990 THB including 7% VAT. So I guess it depends on where the OP lives....

Edited by bubba

So obviously i'm not eligible for the refund. I intend to buy an i-pad also, so next time i'll know to buy it at a neighboring country and get a reimbursement.

Thank you for all the info, guys

Try airport duty free at Changi. Prices there are the same as the in-town shops, less the 7% GST. Apple computers and iPads are both sold there. But then again, not sure how much you will save by avoiding Thai VAT by going to another country to but what you want.

Try airport duty free at Changi. Prices there are the same as the in-town shops, less the 7% GST. Apple computers and iPads are both sold there. But then again, not sure how much you will save by avoiding Thai VAT by going to another country to but what you want.

In which case, how are they cheaper? You can get the 7% reimbursed at Changi too. Done it myself on my watch.

At the end of the day, Apple products are priced pretty much the same the world over - the only differential is exhange rate fluctuations, so the strong Baht makes it cheaper to buy here in Thailand (if you earn in baht) than getting it in the UK

Edited by bendix

does anybody know?

I am also here on same visa and bought a new airbook in BKK I claimed the VAT refund at the airport but that's a rip also as they charge an "admin" fee of 600thb now...

does anybody know?

I saw this topic stuck at the top of this sub-forum: http://www.thaivisa....-refund-primer/

Where it says:

Who Qualifies:

The wording is lazy, but even the laziness makes it clear that barshomlit won't be eligible for a tax refund because he is not a visitor - he lives here.

The intent of VAT refunds is clear - it is to reimburse international visitors when they depart the country. Citizens, residents, expat retirees who live in Thailand are obviously not eligible.

While I am unfamiliar with the intent there have been many, many first-hand reports of people with Non-Imm B or Retirement visas claiming VAT refunds. I believe the only requirement is that the purchase must have been within the previous 60 days.

The same lazy wording appears on the Thai revenue Department website: http://www.rd.go.th/vrt/who.html#link02

There is statement in the Why VAT Refunds are Disapproved:

You carry a diplomatic passport and reside in Thailand

Assuming the "and" is correct, rather than "or", then getting a VAT refund with a Non-Imm B or Retirement Visa should be acceptable?

Edited by lomatopo

does anybody know?

I am also here on same visa and bought a new airbook in BKK I claimed the VAT refund at the airport but that's a rip also as they charge an "admin" fee of 600thb now...

You mean that if I want the refund I'd have to pay 600tb????????????

does anybody know?

You mean that if I want the refund I'd have to pay 600tb????????????

Any VAT administrative fee I've ever seen referenced, both on the Thai Revenue Dept's website, and in the many, many first-hand reports, has always been 100 baht.

I think a MacPro is a desktop-ish unit? I assume that it might be challenging to get airside: through security and/or maybe it is too large for carry-on? So now you might have to check it as luggage. You could of course still claim VAT if you were to purchase it anywhere in Thailand prior to your departure. Just make sure the store will provide you with the required documentation.

Yes, the MacPro is a desktop unit. I brought mine from the US in a suitcase. It can be done!

Im guessing if you arrived on a Tourist Visa then regardless if you live in Thailand or not you can claim this discount when you leave the airport for say I 3 day trip to Singapore.

When you buy a computer you take your passport along. They stamp a receipt with a form and hey presto you get to claim 7% back at the airport. Which for a 39,900 baht computer is 2,793 for those who do there sums. Seems worthwhile to me.