British Man, Wife Murdered In Thai Resort

webfact

Tap Sakae is not a resort but a coastal village. There are a few resorts in Prachuab and two rather well known hotels: Hadtong and Prachuab beach hotel. It's otherwise a quiet place with few tourists and the beach to visit is Manao beach (very clean, quiet and enjoying) situated in the air force base, which is also home to several families of strange and comic looking monkees with very long tails.

That is what I had heard. That is why I had wanted to visit there......had

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Three men arrested for killing Briton, wife in coastal resort

image_2012031417373110C8B981-A37A-FF88-C6406BB3C49FE8A1.jpg

PRACHUAB KHIRI KHAN, March 14 - Police in this coastal province southwest of Bangkok arrested three men for allegedly murdering a British tourist and his Thai wife in a seaside resort.

Governor Veera Sriwattanatrakul and Pol Maj-Gen Wichien Tantawiriya, provincial police superintendent, told a joint news conference of the arrest of three men who allegedly murdered Michael Raymond, 68 and Suchada Baokhamdee, 52, yesterday.

Their bodies were found badly beaten in their room at Jackbeach Resort in Thap Sakae district of Prachuap Khiri Khan.

The suspects are Jakkarin Yooyen, 30, a son of village head assistant in Huay Yang sub-district, Pongpitak Tapsawang, 24, the resort’s security guard, and Prachak Muanchinda, 51, the resort’s chef.

Mr Prachak and Mr Pongpitak confessed to their part in the robbery and murder, and both implicated Mr Jakkarin, stating that he hit Mr Raymond on the head and his wife with a chair. Mr Jakkarin at first denied all charges, but later confessed to robbery and murder.

Police confiscated a mobile phone which had belonged to Mrs Suchada and her 200 baht in cash.

Her family members told investigating police that Mr Raymond's passport, gold necklace and his wife’s bracelet were still missing.

Police brought the three men to re-enact their crime at the resort.

Sounds like the one fellow (not the security guard, nor the chef) was the more violent of the three and likely hit the older gentleman on the head with the chair. Then seeing that he may have been badly hurt or killed, he probably thought he had better kill the lady witness (wife).??

Edited by boatguy

It was the front page story in the Thai Rat newspaper a couple of days ago.

According to the article the intruders used the spare room key which they sneaked in and got from the check in desk in the middle of the night. They strangled the woman and later bashed her with a piece of wood, probably a piece of a broken chair. They wrestled the man onto his stomach and then bashed his head to pulp with a hard object. This is how the incident was described in the article.

They made off with 5,200 baht which was divided as follows: 3,000 , 2,000 and 200. The money was to be used to buy methamphetamines (yaa baa). Staff remember seeing the couple wearing gold but apparently none was found.

The killers used the term," phu dii" (upper class types) to describe their victims.

According to the article the intruders used the spare room key which they sneaked in and got from the check in desk in the middle of the night. They strangled the woman and later bashed her with a piece of wood, probably a piece of a broken chair. They wrestled the man onto his stomach and then bashed his head to pulp with a hard object. This is how the incident was described in the article.

They made off with 5,200 baht which was divided as follows: 3,000 , 2,000 and 200. The money was to be used to buy methamphetamines (yaa baa). Staff remember seeing the couple wearing gold but apparently none was found.

The killers used the term," phu dii" (upper class types) to describe their victims.

Scum. Bury them.

Scum. Bury them.

Scum. Bury them.

Agree 100%.Bury them alive.

THis is terribly sad.

but it isn't helped by those who start crying and moaning about "crime on the increase" "it's getting worse" - these are ridiculous conclusions to draw from this incident.

I don't think it's crying and moaning it's stating the facts,perhaps if you reside in Thailand full time you are more akin to seeing this type of headline on a daily basis and are hardened to it,some like myself who split my time between here and the UK don't always follow the day to day news items when back working in the UK,all I can say from my recent personal experience of the last 3 months being present in Thailand is that I am now more aware of the daily Farang deaths,accidents,stabbings muggings,child abuse and general crime.

cowslip,

People are not coming to any conclusion over this one incident. Events like these are in the news multiple times a week.

That's great,...just what I wanted to hear about this country that I visited long ago, then came back to visit on several more occassions in later years, then decided I might be able to retire here and escape Bush & co.

And I was actually getting ready to visit this very area about a month ago, and look for a 'seaside' escape from northern Thailand for portions of the year,..... and I wanted to avoid the farang tourist areas.

Sure has me second guessing,....

Please do not let this incident deter you. I live in the area and have no qualms about being here. It it is not like that such a thing happens regularly... not like in other parts of Thailand.

We hope these incidents are isolated but more lately it’s just become too regular and too vicious. Recently an Italian tourist was stabbed by a group of teenage Thais at Nai Harn Beach, and another group of Thai teenagers knocked a tourist from his motor bike (when riding from Paradise Beach to Patong) to stab and rob him. And now this poor couple are awakened at night in their bed to be strangled and beaten to death. The system isn’t working anymore. Irrespective of the cause, there just is no visible or meaningful deterrent.

There was a time in Thailand that if a Thai touched a foriegner they had the book thrown at them - no mercy.

Lately, it seems the police couldn't care less, and its almost "serves them right" attitude with their high and mighty "we're Thai and Thai's do no wrong" attitude. From Jet ski scams to atrocities like this, it just seems these thugs can operate with impunity ...... and all the authorities case about is the odd Russian or Kiwi Body builder that go nuts once in a while: "we have to protect our country from the evil foriegners and foriegn influence".

Thailand either wants tourism and the revenue it brings, or it doesn't. Make up your mind, rule with an iron fist, and make it clear that this kind of thuggary will not be tolerated. Shut down the resort, charge the owners with not vetting their staff correctly and not providing the security they should; throw the perpetraitors to the dogs; make examples of people and hit them where it hurts - in their wallets. But no, what will these clowns get ..... a few years and out in a short stint because the life of a forienger is worth less than the resort owners dog - because believe me if they beat the resort owners dog to death, they would be shot for it!!!

• Like 2

There was a time in Thailand that if a Thai touched a foriegner they had the book thrown at them - no mercy.

Lately, it seems the police couldn't care less, and its almost "serves them right" attitude with their high and mighty "we're Thai and Thai's do no wrong" attitude. From Jet ski scams to atrocities like this, it just seems these thugs can operate with impunity ...... and all the authorities case about is the odd Russian or Kiwi Body builder that go nuts once in a while: "we have to protect our country from the evil foriegners and foriegn influence".

Thailand either wants tourism and the revenue it brings, or it doesn't. Make up your mind, rule with an iron fist, and make it clear that this kind of thuggary will not be tolerated. Shut down the resort, charge the owners with not vetting their staff correctly and not providing the security they should; throw the perpetraitors to the dogs; make examples of people and hit them where it hurts - in their wallets. But no, what will these clowns get ..... a few years and out in a short stint because the life of a forienger is worth less than the resort owners dog - because believe me if they beat the resort owners dog to death, they would be shot for it!!!

Since money is core to this type of crime it only makes sense that Thai Government must enforce penalties which deter all who are responsible. The resort operators must be closed down and fined a few million baht for not maintaining a safe environment. Who expects to get murdered while sleeping in a resort? And the animals who killed this aging couple should be shot in public. If this was the punishment for the resort owners and the murderers, other resort owners would ensue proper process and systems are maintained and thugs would reconsider doing something so unnecessary and so disgusting. An eye for an eye.

Since money is core to this type of crime it only makes sense that Thai Government must enforce penalties which deter all who are responsible. The resort operators must be closed down and fined a few million baht for not maintaining a safe environment. Who expects to get murdered while sleeping in a resort? And the animals who killed this aging couple should be shot in public. If this was the punishment for the resort owners and the murderers, other resort owners would ensue proper process and systems are maintained and thugs would reconsider doing something so unnecessary and so disgusting. An eye for an eye.

Agree, a grave is the best deterrent. angry.png