British Man, Wife Murdered In Thai Resort

webfact

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Khunkeith... Here's the truth.. The convicted woman was not Australian as you have suggested ...The woman that was charged and aquitted is :Kenzi Snider from Pittsburg, Pennsylvania. No one has been convicted of the murder of Jamie Lynn Penich.

thanks for the correction. it was along time ago. I just remembered that the Koreans blamed the Army and, it had nothing to do with the Army. But, I thought that the murdered confessed. Was the confession invalid in court? you seem to know this case well.

I just saw on another news outlet that allegedly the police have already made arrests of the killers? Is this correct?

It is on phuketwan. I don't know if it one of the news sites permitted to be linked to Thaivisa.

Edited by submaniac

Hmmm, we may all be assuming he was a small feeble guy, what if he was a strong sturdy 68 year old? (there are many around), started beating the shit out of them and they resorted to picking up things and using them on him? once again,let's wait and see...

it would have real value to know the name of the Resort. There is a thing called "voting with your money."

Thai Visa has a lot of readers, with a lot to offer in terms of local knowledge. Perhaps if we, as an Expat community exerted pressure on businesses we would see more of the results many writers here have pointed to as needing improvement. Many good comments followed the fires near Asoke, saying...if we start inspecting rooms, saying' No thank you, I will not stay in a room without sprinklers, locked fire exits...etc...business owner will simply follow the money, and realize..."I am losing business from a tight knit community that has cash to spend"

So, please...allow us the leverage to let the "invisible hand" of commerce exert some pressure on places who turn a blind eye to security, fire protection, safe wiring...etc...by letting us know what resort has what looks like "Zero security" in place. This was not a quite or subdued incident...and if it did not have generate a security response...we need to know that.

I do feel Thai Visa has enough members that we can actually make a positive difference. Perhaps we should follow the face Book model, circulate electronic petitions...and send them to business owners so they can better reflect in their offering what we, as a community require to do business with them.

There is a saying that when life hands you a basket of lemons...make lemon-aid. This horrid incident is, for me a tipping point, since a retired couple, living their dream has suffered a fate not worthy of any human.

Perhaps we can honor their memory by using it as the impetus for action that begins to solve problems.

Thoughts by other members are most welcomed.

Jack Beach Resort

56/4 Moo 7 Huay Yang District

Tubsakas Prachuapkhurkhan

http://www.jackbeachresort.com/

• Like 1

How can something like this happen at a resort where the victims actually paid to stay at? Where were the resort owner/staff when this was happening? Throwing chairs around and beating two people with them is not exactly a silent activity. And why, oh why the police "have begun questioning possible suspects who live nearby" and not questioning the resort in the first place? Have they already been paid to keep the resort name and staff out of this? Well, they shouldn't as the resorts owe duty of care to their guests so, they are partly to blame even if they didn't participate in the actual crime.

THis is terribly sad.

but it isn't helped by those who start crying and moaning about "crime on the increase" "it's getting worse" - these are ridiculous conclusions to draw from this incident.

I can't tell whether it is getting worse or not, but incidents such as this cast a shadow over Thailand as an attractive place to live as a retired couple.

Where were the resort owner/staff when this was happening? Throwing chairs around and beating two people with them is not exactly a silent activity.

The suspects arrested by the police apparently WERE the staff...the SECURITY GUARD, and the cook. Apparently they confessed. Another suspect is a fisherman, who has not confessed. Two suspects around 30, the third age 50.

Edited by submaniac

THis is terribly sad.

but it isn't helped by those who start crying and moaning about "crime on the increase" "it's getting worse" - these are ridiculous conclusions to draw from this incident.

I don't think it's crying and moaning it's stating the facts,perhaps if you reside in Thailand full time you are more akin to seeing this type of headline on a daily basis and are hardened to it,some like myself who split my time between here and the UK don't always follow the day to day news items when back working in the UK,all I can say from my recent personal experience of the last 3 months being present in Thailand is that I am now more aware of the daily Farang deaths,accidents,stabbings muggings,child abuse and general crime.

I have been married to a Thai for 8 years, out this way for 10 and I have to agree with you. Just from news on this forum alone it appears the number of foreigner deaths in Thailand since the turn of the year has risen dramatically. I don't know the exact number but it is fair to say it's well into double figures. Some are accidents and some violent crimes but I find it quite shocking and am becoming concerned for the safety of my family, to the point where there is no way I would take them to any major tourist spot in Thailand right now. If this got the attention of CNN or the BBC, Thailand's tourism could really suffer badly.

• Like 1

Does anybody know the name of the resort? I am getting married in Prachuap Khiri Khan in May, and frankly, will want to avoid this hotel.

Why, would you anticipate that the perpetrators will strike again at the same resort. You might be safer there than another resort. Also, would you refuse to drive on a highway that had bus crashes? Nothing suggests that the selection of venue has anything to do with the crime.
  • Like 1

it would have real value to know the name of the Resort. There is a thing called "voting with your money."

Thai Visa has a lot of readers, with a lot to offer in terms of local knowledge. Perhaps if we, as an Expat community exerted pressure on businesses we would see more of the results many writers here have pointed to as needing improvement. Many good comments followed the fires near Asoke, saying...if we start inspecting rooms, saying' No thank you, I will not stay in a room without sprinklers, locked fire exits...etc...business owner will simply follow the money, and realize..."I am losing business from a tight knit community that has cash to spend"

So, please...allow us the leverage to let the "invisible hand" of commerce exert some pressure on places who turn a blind eye to security, fire protection, safe wiring...etc...by letting us know what resort has what looks like "Zero security" in place. This was not a quite or subdued incident...and if it did not have generate a security response...we need to know that.

I do feel Thai Visa has enough members that we can actually make a positive difference. Perhaps we should follow the face Book model, circulate electronic petitions...and send them to business owners so they can better reflect in their offering what we, as a community require to do business with them.

There is a saying that when life hands you a basket of lemons...make lemon-aid. This horrid incident is, for me a tipping point, since a retired couple, living their dream has suffered a fate not worthy of any human.

Perhaps we can honor their memory by using it as the impetus for action that begins to solve problems.

It is probably one of the many small cheap bungalow resorts so would not have security.

It is probably one of the many small cheap bungalow resorts so would not have security.

oops! my mistake, sorry.

back when I lived in Korea, about 10 or so years ago, there was an American girl tourist that had been murdered in her hotel room near the US Army garrison in Seoul. She had been stabbed multiple times with a knife. The Korean press had a field day, saying it was an American soldier that did it and, that the Americans should leave Seoul, etc, etc. That American soldiers were brutal and attacked women, stuff like that. So Army CID started working on the investigation with the Korean National police. It turned out that the murderer was an Australian lesbian that was in Seoul for a holiday as well. She was caught at the airport when she tried to leave Korea. Not only had the press tried and convicted the US Army prematurely, but, protests were staged outside the US base in Korea.

Don't judge before all the facts are in.

It's a sad story. I have sympathy for the families and, RIP to the victims themselves.

I was in that area last week on the return ferry from Koh Samui.

Koreans always look to blame foreigners for everything that happens in Korea...Koreans cannot stand to see the truth of the matter and will always, always try to save-face in every matter.

I have been married to a Thai for 8 years, out this way for 10 and I have to agree with you. Just from news on this forum alone it appears the number of foreigner deaths in Thailand since the turn of the year has risen dramatically. I don't know the exact number but it is fair to say it's well into double figures. Some are accidents and some violent crimes but I find it quite shocking and am becoming concerned for the safety of my family, to the point where there is no way I would take them to any major tourist spot in Thailand right now. If this got the attention of CNN or the BBC, Thailand's tourism could really suffer badly.

From what our Thai friends say, what is particularly shocking about this crime is that these were elderly people and all agree that the traditional respect for the elderly is quickly waning in the new Thai society.

Edited by xavierr
  • Like 1

Truly sad to read this. No security in this resort? Sometimes, it is worth it to pay a little more and stay in a safe resort with proper security.

What is the name of this resort? Jack Beach resort? This place should seriously be shut down from operating forever. If Thailand was a serious country, someone would speak up.

There is no doubt that boycotts work in civilized societies having a rule of law in place. To be effective requires media attention that is part of the pressure, so an "invisibile hand" is impotent.

Thai business owners don't seem to care what customers think. When is the last time you heard a Thai business owner apologize or offer a refund? And Thai customers are want to complain because they've been conditioned to not cause others to be embarrassed or lose face, especially those above them (business owners) as defined by the Sakdina system of institutionalized inequality.

Start pointing out problems in Siam and risk defamation, slander, or libel law suits. Is it not true that you may not publish negative restaurant reviews in LOS without getting sued? Notice how they avoid mentioning the names of the building owners responsible in the recent fires? Notice how the resort name is conspicuously absent in this report?

Doubt if TV is willing to risk allowing its profitable enterprise to be compromised for any purpose regardless of how righteous and well-intended the purpose may be. You'd do the same thing if you were them.

• Like 2

The area where the alleged crime took place is quite close to the border with Burma, roughly 30km and sounds like a criminal act perpetrated by some desperate person/s. That fact that a Thai was also a victim is a bit odd.

Watch this space.

From what our Thai friends say, what is particularly shocking about this crime is that these were elderly people and all agree that the traditional respect for the elderly is quickly waning in the new Thai society.

You mean there is still some left?

back when I lived in Korea, about 10 or so years ago, there was an American girl tourist that had been murdered in her hotel room near the US Army garrison in Seoul. She had been stabbed multiple times with a knife. The Korean press had a field day, saying it was an American soldier that did it and, that the Americans should leave Seoul, etc, etc. That American soldiers were brutal and attacked women, stuff like that. So Army CID started working on the investigation with the Korean National police. It turned out that the murderer was an Australian lesbian that was in Seoul for a holiday as well. She was caught at the airport when she tried to leave Korea. Not only had the press tried and convicted the US Army prematurely, but, protests were staged outside the US base in Korea.

Don't judge before all the facts are in.

It's a sad story. I have sympathy for the families and, RIP to the victims themselves.

I was in that area last week on the return ferry from Koh Samui.

If you lived in Korea like you said then you must know about the crime caused by US service men and they have immunity and have got away with murder before you can not compare this case with your Korea experiance.

RIP this is a sad crime which most probably we wouldn't find out what really happened....

Is it increased media coverage or a real increase, not just in Thailand but globally? Everyday the BBC reports crimes of violence in England, is it due to drugs, poverty, or simply mixing too many different cultures together? In the third world tourists, even back packers, are automatically seen as rich and good targets.

Security in small independent hotels is largely window dressing in LOS. The people they hire are at the bottom rung of the economic ladder and typically there is only one on duty with no security superior to report to other than the owner or GM. Add this to the buddhist belief that one should not interfere and change the course of events and you have security in name only. What would an over zealous security guard do any way? Take of their blue shirt and throw it at the perp? They are not even armed with anything more than a hand radio that may or may not be monitored by the front desk. Since they are the only one on duty, any perp would know immediately upon who to seek revenge so that is another reason for security to do little more than mop up.

THis is terribly sad.

I don't think it's crying and moaning it's stating the facts,perhaps if you reside in Thailand full time you are more akin to seeing this type of headline on a daily basis and are hardened to it,some like myself who split my time between here and the UK don't always follow the day to day news items when back working in the UK,all I can say from my recent personal experience of the last 3 months being present in Thailand is that I am now more aware of the daily Farang deaths,accidents,stabbings muggings,child abuse and general crime.

Thailand spends serious ad dollars and journalists are intimidated into avoiding negativity in order to continue to have access; these are factors that can compromise all but the deaths by the dozen stories.

Very tragic and sad indeed,

When staying in a bungalow on the beach, IMHO the threat threshold increases.

Late night strollers to druggies, it's just another access point you have to be aware of.

Most high end properties have guards located both at the front entrance(s) and the beach side, remote properties especially call for increased situational awareness.

Extremely sad - and such a peaceful part of Thailand a little way down from HH with lovely quiet beaches and small resorts I guess. The Thai police need to accelerate this one and get it solved quickly as it will damage their image. Unforunately as the Thai economy like the UK economy continues to suffer an economic drop with less jobs etc., we are seeing more robbery-like crimes. Civilised societies which are more equal and have welfare will see less crime but gross inequality breeds despair, hopelessness and violent robbery.