British Man, Wife Murdered In Thai Resort

webfact

back when I lived in Korea, about 10 or so years ago, there was an American girl tourist that had been murdered in her hotel room near the US Army garrison in Seoul. She had been stabbed multiple times with a knife. The Korean press had a field day, saying it was an American soldier that did it and, that the Americans should leave Seoul, etc, etc. That American soldiers were brutal and attacked women, stuff like that. So Army CID started working on the investigation with the Korean National police. It turned out that the murderer was an Australian lesbian that was in Seoul for a holiday as well. She was caught at the airport when she tried to leave Korea. Not only had the press tried and convicted the US Army prematurely, but, protests were staged outside the US base in Korea.

Don't judge before all the facts are in.

It's a sad story. I have sympathy for the families and, RIP to the victims themselves.

I was in that area last week on the return ferry from Koh Samui.

Koreans always look to blame foreigners for everything that happens in Korea...Koreans cannot stand to see the truth of the matter and will always, always try to save-face in every matter.

It seems they were right in the case mentioned however.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

back when I lived in Korea, ...

If you lived in Korea like you said then you must know about the crime caused by US service men and they have immunity and have got away with murder before you can not compare this case with your Korea experiance.

RIP this is a sad crime which most probably we wouldn't find out what really happened....

US servicemen do not have immunity from prosecution in Korea. Just a fact, even though slightly off the topic.

it would have real value to know the name of the Resort. There is a thing called "voting with your money."

Thai Visa has a lot of readers, with a lot to offer in terms of local knowledge. Perhaps if we, as an Expat community exerted pressure on businesses we would see more of the results many writers here have pointed to as needing improvement. Many good comments followed the fires near Asoke, saying...if we start inspecting rooms, saying' No thank you, I will not stay in a room without sprinklers, locked fire exits...etc...business owner will simply follow the money, and realize..."I am losing business from a tight knit community that has cash to spend"

So, please...allow us the leverage to let the "invisible hand" of commerce exert some pressure on places who turn a blind eye to security, fire protection, safe wiring...etc...by letting us know what resort has what looks like "Zero security" in place. This was not a quite or subdued incident...and if it did not have generate a security response...we need to know that.

I do feel Thai Visa has enough members that we can actually make a positive difference. Perhaps we should follow the face Book model, circulate electronic petitions...and send them to business owners so they can better reflect in their offering what we, as a community require to do business with them.

There is a saying that when life hands you a basket of lemons...make lemon-aid. This horrid incident is, for me a tipping point, since a retired couple, living their dream has suffered a fate not worthy of any human.

Perhaps we can honor their memory by using it as the impetus for action that begins to solve problems.

Thoughts by other members are most welcomed.

Jack Beach Resort

56/4 Moo 7 Huay Yang District

Tubsakas Prachuapkhurkhan

http://www.jackbeachresort.com/

I know that resort well. Own some land in the area and like stopping by on occasion. This shocking incident won't put me off it, but it is so very sad.

Which resort and what sort of security do they have in place? sad.png

The security guard was involved!

Just about the time I tell my friends in the US that Thailand is a safe place to visit. Well, actually I didn't say that. I said Northern Thailand was about as safe as anywhere compatible in the US. But Pattaya, Phuket, and now other beach side resorts. Life seems to be getting cheaper and cheaper to these pathetic morons.

What can farang do to protect themselves in there own homes (or rented rooms)? I heard that if you kill someone while defending yourself in your own home, you're pretty much going to jail for a long time.

This isn't going to help tourism.

Murdered for 2000 baht and a mobile phone and an ATM card ? I think there are restrictions on daily ATM withdrawals so if the ATM card was the biggest attraction it must have had a limit to it. How much could three men hope to share from this small picking ? Probably the robbery was only incidental or, worse, planted by someone to deflect attention.

Edited by HereIAm

THis is terribly sad.

but it isn't helped by those who start crying and moaning about "crime on the increase" "it's getting worse" - these are ridiculous conclusions to draw from this incident.

You are not assuming crime rate is decreasing and everything is getting better, are you? I guess there are some relatives in the UK crying and moaning and I strongly believe they have the right to do so!

Edited by TackyToo

Murdered for 2000 baht and a mobile phone and an ATM card ? I think there are restrictions on daily ATM withdrawals so if the ATM card was the biggest attraction it must have had a limit to it. How much could three men hope to share from this small picking ? Probably the robbery was only incidental or, worse, planted by someone to deflect attention.

I read that it was only 200 baht and a mobile phone and that of the three charged by police, 2 worked at the resort , a cook and a security guard.

The other was a local fisherman.

Edited by dmcguire70

Same as Sydney. The crime rate has gone up immensely. I blame drugs, gambling and violent TV and movies

VERRY correct my friend. They should start with banning A-L-L that violence on Thai tv ( i'm afraid there will be nothing left to watch...). but this is really the root of all the murdering that happens in Thailand EVERY day ! Kids that can hardly walk yet have already to take part in the daily "relaxing", meaning watching for hours and hours at all those stupid and violent series. The more blood the better, the more violence the better, the more screaming and crying the better, etc...

Why does Thaksin's dolly doesn't do anything about this !? Is she (and the other government wanke_rs) too busy took wan with calculating the tea money (or if you like the "corruption money") that they have to share between each other instead of solving the REAL problems !?!? i'm afraid it will NEVER change.... And in the meanwhile the killing on some innocent people continues for some pennies.... poor banana kingdom intheclub.gif

is it me or is this type crime happening all the time with robbery muggings murder any type crime seems to happen the culture of the thai person being gentle has sort gone even monks who are not begging for money such a shame but thats maybe the internet and seeing so many tourist with all there fancy things very expensive watches cameras and loads of money makes them an easy target for those criminals such a shame for those old couple who proberly just wanted peace and quiet life

sorry to say this but makes the UK look a lot more attractive

• Like 1

I sometimes get the feeling they don't want Falangs here at all.

This so doesn't have anything to do with them wanting falangs there or not because otherwise the Thai wife wouldn't have been killed, too. They were chosen because they were an easy target because of their age!!!

Condolences to their families and friends, such a terrible way for life to end. I hope the police do their job properly (no joking here) and the murderers get what is due.

B2,000 and a mobile, words escape me.

Which resort and what sort of security do they have in place? sad.png

I think we can forget about security since one of the attackers was a security guard. Prachuap is was a quiet, family type beach resort. Perfect place for an elderly couple to relax at the seaside.

Does anybody know the name of the resort? I am getting married in Prachuap Khiri Khan in May, and frankly, will want to avoid this hotel.

Thap Sakae is about 60 miles south from Prachuap Khiri Khan city. If you marry in town you won't have much chance of getting there.

My condolences to the families of the people brutally murdered.

Edited by buasaard

it would have real value to know the name of the Resort. There is a thing called "voting with your money."

Thai Visa has a lot of readers, with a lot to offer in terms of local knowledge. Perhaps if we, as an Expat community exerted pressure on businesses we would see more of the results many writers here have pointed to as needing improvement. Many good comments followed the fires near Asoke, saying...if we start inspecting rooms, saying' No thank you, I will not stay in a room without sprinklers, locked fire exits...etc...business owner will simply follow the money, and realize..."I am losing business from a tight knit community that has cash to spend"

So, please...allow us the leverage to let the "invisible hand" of commerce exert some pressure on places who turn a blind eye to security, fire protection, safe wiring...etc...by letting us know what resort has what looks like "Zero security" in place. This was not a quite or subdued incident...and if it did not have generate a security response...we need to know that.

I do feel Thai Visa has enough members that we can actually make a positive difference. Perhaps we should follow the face Book model, circulate electronic petitions...and send them to business owners so they can better reflect in their offering what we, as a community require to do business with them.

There is a saying that when life hands you a basket of lemons...make lemon-aid. This horrid incident is, for me a tipping point, since a retired couple, living their dream has suffered a fate not worthy of any human.

Perhaps we can honor their memory by using it as the impetus for action that begins to solve problems.

Thoughts by other members are most welcomed.

Jack Beach Resort

56/4 Moo 7 Huay Yang District

Tubsakas Prachuapkhurkhan

http://www.jackbeachresort.com/

I know that resort well. Own some land in the area and like stopping by on occasion. This shocking incident won't put me off it, but it is so very sad.

Thank you for supplying that information. Once we are clear about all the facts, and if it is warranted, it may be appropriate to go to Agoda, and post a simple and factual "review' of the property.

"On X day, a retired couple was clubbed to death by x amount of people for x amount of money. Clearly, security is not a priority at this resort." http://www.agoda.com/asia/thailand/prachuap_khiri_khan/jack_beach_resort/reviews.html

The area where the alleged crime took place is quite close to the border with Burma, roughly 30km and sounds like a criminal act perpetrated by some desperate person/s. That fact that a Thai was also a victim is a bit odd.

Watch this space.

If they could have blamed it on the Burmese they would have done so already.

As others have said, it really is about time the foreign media picked up on the number of ferang murders here.

Thailand needs a new slogan - akin to the "Cost Del Crime" one for Spain.

• Like 1

1 post deleted.

Please keep in mind that the family might be looking for more information on the internet and read what you say. So please keep it civil and don't give in to speculation.

wise words...

Does anybody know the name of the resort? I am getting married in Prachuap Khiri Khan in May, and frankly, will want to avoid this hotel.

Thap Sakae is about 60 miles south from Prachuap Khiri Khan city. If you marry in town you won't have much chance of getting there.

My condolences to the families of the people brutally murdered.

Tap Sakae is not a resort but a coastal village. There are a few resorts in Prachuab and two rather well known hotels: Hadtong and Prachuab beach hotel. It's otherwise a quiet place with few tourists and the beach to visit is Manao beach (very clean, quiet and enjoying) situated in the air force base, which is also home to several families of strange and comic looking monkees with very long tails.

PRACHUAB KHIRI KHAN

Briton and Thai wife murdered at beach resort

The Nation

PRACHUAB KHIRI KHAN: -- Police on Wednesday detained three Thai men for allegedly robbing and fatally beating a British man and his Thai wife in Prachuab Khiri Khan's Thap Sakae district.

Police said two of the suspects, Pongpitak Tapsawang, 29, and Prachak Muenjinda, 50, had confessed to robbing and murdering Michael Raymond, 68 and Suchada Baokhamdee, 52, at the Jack Beach Resort. They worked in the resort as security guard and cook respectively.

The third suspect, Jakkarin Yuyen, 30, denied the charge. Police alleged that Jakkarin visited the resort to borrow money from Prachak before deciding to rob the couple.

A maid at the resort found the badly beaten bodies of Michael Raymond, 68 and Suchada Baokhamdee, 52, Tuesday afternoon in their bungalow.

Police said the bodies were badly beaten and their belongings were ransacked. The suspects told police that they robbed the couple of Bt2,000, a mobile phone and an ATM card.

According to initial investigations, the couple checked in to the resort on Monday. The Briton had lived in Khon Kaen for about two years since marrying Suchada.

Prachuab Khiri Khan Governor Veera Sriwattanatrakul said that the gruesome murder badly tarnished the province and its tourism business. Resorts in the province should from now on be equipped with security cameras to ensure safety and help police if crimes occurred.

Meanwhile Thawatchai Daengchum, president of Huay Yang Tambon Administrative Organisation, said the crime had shocked people, as the beach area, which is home to several resorts, is known to be peaceful and is popular with foreigners.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-03-14

Where were the resort owner/staff when this was happening? Throwing chairs around and beating two people with them is not exactly a silent activity.

The suspects arrested by the police apparently WERE the staff...the SECURITY GUARD, and the cook. Apparently they confessed. Another suspect is a fisherman, who has not confessed. Two suspects around 30, the third age 50.

Makes it even worse if true.

THis is terribly sad.

but it isn't helped by those who start crying and moaning about "crime on the increase" "it's getting worse" - these are ridiculous conclusions to draw from this incident.

I don't think it's crying and moaning it's stating the facts,perhaps if you reside in Thailand full time you are more akin to seeing this type of headline on a daily basis and are hardened to it,some like myself who split my time between here and the UK don't always follow the day to day news items when back working in the UK,all I can say from my recent personal experience of the last 3 months being present in Thailand is that I am now more aware of the daily Farang deaths,accidents,stabbings muggings,child abuse and general crime.

So you do not see these things happening when you are at work in the UK? No murders or robberies there in the news daily? Wow, Maybe since it is so much safer there you should just stay there then. I myself see things getting bad worldwide not just in Thailand. This stuff happens all over the world. Rest in Peace to the victims here. Pay attention where ever you may be in all your travels people. Bad people are out there and they do bad things. Peace.

Hmmm, we may all be assuming he was a small feeble guy, what if he was a strong sturdy 68 year old? (there are many around), started beating the shit out of them and they resorted to picking up things and using them on him? once again,let's wait and see...

Would that make it right?

And a typical response from the authorities, concerning the image of the area being tarnished and affecting the tourism business. Would be nice to see some form of condolence to the family from the authorities, not that is going to happen. Money Number One.