British Man, Wife Murdered In Thai Resort

webfact

THis is terribly sad.

but it isn't helped by those who start crying and moaning about "crime on the increase" "it's getting worse" - these are ridiculous conclusions to draw from this incident.

I don't think it's crying and moaning it's stating the facts,perhaps if you reside in Thailand full time you are more akin to seeing this type of headline on a daily basis and are hardened to it,some like myself who split my time between here and the UK don't always follow the day to day news items when back working in the UK,all I can say from my recent personal experience of the last 3 months being present in Thailand is that I am now more aware of the daily Farang deaths,accidents,stabbings muggings,child abuse and general crime.

Very sad thing to have happen. My condolences to the family of both victims.

I have lived here for six years and this kind of thing is defiantly on the rise.

I have noted that it has taken a real jump sense the police have supposedly cracked down on Drug dealers and users.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm, we may all be assuming he was a small feeble guy, what if he was a strong sturdy 68 year old? (there are many around), started beating the shit out of them and they resorted to picking up things and using them on him? once again,let's wait and see...

Would that make it right?

Well he might be right about his size but as a 70 year old I can safely say that at his age he didn't have the speed to do it. I see no notice of bodily harm to the perpetrators.

THis is terribly sad.

but it isn't helped by those who start crying and moaning about "crime on the increase" "it's getting worse" - these are ridiculous conclusions to draw from this incident.

I don't think it's crying and moaning it's stating the facts,perhaps if you reside in Thailand full time you are more akin to seeing this type of headline on a daily basis and are hardened to it,some like myself who split my time between here and the UK don't always follow the day to day news items when back working in the UK,all I can say from my recent personal experience of the last 3 months being present in Thailand is that I am now more aware of the daily Farang deaths,accidents,stabbings muggings,child abuse and general crime.

So you do not see these things happening when you are at work in the UK? No murders or robberies there in the news daily? Wow, Maybe since it is so much safer there you should just stay there then. I myself see things getting bad worldwide not just in Thailand. This stuff happens all over the world. Rest in Peace to the victims here. Pay attention where ever you may be in all your travels people. Bad people are out there and they do bad things. Peace.

In most western countries it is so normal the papers don't even bother with it. Like road rage they don't bother with that either. How ever here in Thailand it is so rare that it makes the papers it is big news.

How often do you see a article about a Thai killing another Thai. No often yet Thailand rates high up on the list of countries for murder. It just isn't that big a thing for a Thai to kill a Thai here. Where as for a Thai to kill a farong it is a big thing.

If you lived in Korea like you said then you must know about the crime caused by US service men and they have immunity and have got away with murder before you can not compare this case with your Korea experiance.

RIP this is a sad crime which most probably we wouldn't find out what really happened....

If you've lived in Thailand for any length of time, you would understand that:

1. When a farang commits a crime (allegedly) his name and other information is usually plastered on all the tabloids.

2. When a Thai commits a crime (confession) his name and other information is usually withheld from the tabloids.

3. When a farang is accused of a crime, he is almost always 'guilty' prior to any investigation or court decision.

4. When a Thai commits a crime (confession) he/she is given a much lighter sentence if any at all, especially if 'connected'.

5. When a farang has a traffic accident he is usually wrong and ends up paying. (I was in a small fender bender and the teacher who caused the accident was 100% responsible but he lied to the police and to the insurance company and I had to pay (via insurance) and the following year I had to pay more for insurance.(no witness)

Many years ago on Koh Samui & Koh Phangan, most farang deaths were not reported in the newspapers and nobody heard about them, MANY ! A Thai friend of mine used to 'take care' of the dead farang by taking him/her to Bangkok in the back of his truck.....and he was going quite regularly...

There was (maybe still is) a scam by the police that allowed the locals to sell weed to farang. Periodically the mainland police (Surat) would come to the Islands and would wait just near whoever was selling it and bust the farang, put them in jail and make the farang post bond of 50k and the clincher was they always made the court date 'after' the departure date on the air ticket so the farang would forfeit the bond payment....

The day after the full moon party (if it was a weekday) you would see police lined up at the bank teller making deposits....

I hope things are better now although back then, there were only a handful of farang living on Koh Phangan...(circa 1988 ->)

Lots of advice given on this forum (and others). some good, some not.....although no matter how long you've been in Thailand, you can never give advice to someone who just stepped off the boat.....(at least in my experience here)........walk lightly (forget the stick), keep a low profile, forget big business, rent unless you have tons of money that you won't miss if it all goes sour, don't sweat the small things (20 baht overcharged for fried rice, etc.) and USE YOUR HEAD, stay alert and don't assume anything....except: 'we are not Thai and we have very few rights here'. If you do think you have rights and hire a lawyer you'll wish you saved your money and sorted things out yourself.......NOTE: all the above is based on my experience and may not reflect the opinions of others, so, NO arguments......chokdee

UPDATE: I see above that the culprits names have been published, things are looking up!! Are they still considered 'suspects' after they confess?

Can't say as I agree with aal you say most of it seems to be old stuff.

But the one thing I definatly disagree with you on is you say you can't give a newbe advice. I do and have often been thanked for it.

I tell hem not to make judgements it is neither rite or wrong it is just different than where you come from.

it would have real value to know the name of the Resort. There is a thing called "voting with your money."

Thai Visa has a lot of readers, with a lot to offer in terms of local knowledge. Perhaps if we, as an Expat community exerted pressure on businesses we would see more of the results many writers here have pointed to as needing improvement. Many good comments followed the fires near Asoke, saying...if we start inspecting rooms, saying' No thank you, I will not stay in a room without sprinklers, locked fire exits...etc...business owner will simply follow the money, and realize..."I am losing business from a tight knit community that has cash to spend"

So, please...allow us the leverage to let the "invisible hand" of commerce exert some pressure on places who turn a blind eye to security, fire protection, safe wiring...etc...by letting us know what resort has what looks like "Zero security" in place. This was not a quite or subdued incident...and if it did not have generate a security response...we need to know that.

I do feel Thai Visa has enough members that we can actually make a positive difference. Perhaps we should follow the face Book model, circulate electronic petitions...and send them to business owners so they can better reflect in their offering what we, as a community require to do business with them.

There is a saying that when life hands you a basket of lemons...make lemon-aid. This horrid incident is, for me a tipping point, since a retired couple, living their dream has suffered a fate not worthy of any human.

Perhaps we can honor their memory by using it as the impetus for action that begins to solve problems.

Thoughts by other members are most welcomed.

Jack Beach Resort

56/4 Moo 7 Huay Yang District

Tubsakas Prachuapkhurkhan

http://www.jackbeachresort.com/

I know that resort well. Own some land in the area and like stopping by on occasion. This shocking incident won't put me off it, but it is so very sad.

Thank you for supplying that information. Once we are clear about all the facts, and if it is warranted, it may be appropriate to go to Agoda, and post a simple and factual "review' of the property.

"On X day, a retired couple was clubbed to death by x amount of people for x amount of money. Clearly, security is not a priority at this resort." http://www.agoda.com/asia/thailand/prachuap_khiri_khan/jack_beach_resort/reviews.html

You're welcome.

That's an interesting possibility you describe.

Sad to see how many of the Thai´s in low paid jobs turn into criminals. Who can blame them for being jealous of all the people they see every day, having so much more money than themselves. And jealousy can easily turn into hate. A Security cuard and a cook is paid well below THB 10000/month, so no chance for them ever, to take their family on a holiday in a 3-star resort og just buy what they like to buy.

The Thai government are loaning and spending more money than ever, boosting the inflation, mainly to fill their own pockets as usual, but are doing absolutely nothing to help the poor people, who badly can feel the inflated value of their little money. I am afraid that this kind of news will hit the headlines more and more often, if politics are not being changed in this corrupt country. We can only hope for a Miracle to happen.

One positive thing is, that this murder was at least not categorised as a suicide.´

I don´t think that it´s fair to blame Jack Beach Resort for the incident, as this could easily have happened in any other resort in Thailand.

R.I.P.

Edited by Xonax
  • Like 1

Does anybody know the name of the resort? I am getting married in Prachuap Khiri Khan in May, and frankly, will want to avoid this hotel.

Why, would you anticipate that the perpetrators will strike again at the same resort. You might be safer there than another resort. Also, would you refuse to drive on a highway that had bus crashes? Nothing suggests that the selection of venue has anything to do with the crime.

Well, the manager of Jack Beach resort was on trial two years ago for raping young girls on his staff. I don't remember if he was convicted but he mayi still be the manager. Definetly a place to avoid.

Edited by Tanaka
  • Like 1

Three men arrested for killing Briton, wife in coastal resort

image_2012031417373110C8B981-A37A-FF88-C6406BB3C49FE8A1.jpg

PRACHUAB KHIRI KHAN, March 14 - Police in this coastal province southwest of Bangkok arrested three men for allegedly murdering a British tourist and his Thai wife in a seaside resort.

Governor Veera Sriwattanatrakul and Pol Maj-Gen Wichien Tantawiriya, provincial police superintendent, told a joint news conference of the arrest of three men who allegedly murdered Michael Raymond, 68 and Suchada Baokhamdee, 52, yesterday.

Their bodies were found badly beaten in their room at Jackbeach Resort in Thap Sakae district of Prachuap Khiri Khan.

The suspects are Jakkarin Yooyen, 30, a son of village head assistant in Huay Yang sub-district, Pongpitak Tapsawang, 24, the resort’s security guard, and Prachak Muanchinda, 51, the resort’s chef.

Mr Prachak and Mr Pongpitak confessed to their part in the robbery and murder, and both implicated Mr Jakkarin, stating that he hit Mr Raymond on the head and his wife with a chair. Mr Jakkarin at first denied all charges, but later confessed to robbery and murder.

Police confiscated a mobile phone which had belonged to Mrs Suchada and her 200 baht in cash.

Her family members told investigating police that Mr Raymond's passport, gold necklace and his wife’s bracelet were still missing.

Police brought the three men to re-enact their crime at the resort. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-03-14

The area where the alleged crime took place is quite close to the border with Burma, roughly 30km and sounds like a criminal act perpetrated by some desperate person/s. That fact that a Thai was also a victim is a bit odd.

Watch this space.

Are you for real or first time here?

Thai's are killing each other by the dozen daily, you just don't get to read about it.

Just look where they are on gun related deaths, only behind Mexico and South Africa and they're not shooting foreigners!!.The arrested people are all Thai.

What's being 30 kms from the Burmese border got to do with anything?

You probably haven't been to Burma or know anything about its people either!

Edited by uptheos

Sad to see how many of the Thai´s in low paid jobs turn into criminals. Who can blame them for being jealous of all the people they see every day, having so much more money than themselves. And jealousy can easily turn into hate. A Security cuard and a cook is paid well below THB 10000/month, so no chance for them ever, to take their family on a holiday in a 3-star resort og just buy what they like to buy..

I know many Thai's that earn less than 10,000 Baht and wouldn't steal a baht from anyone or have reason to hate.

They practice their Buddhist beliefs, whereas the overwhelming majority of Thai's don't.

Who can blame them for being jealous?..........Buddha I guess who said; 'kill no living thing'.

I love the speculation here, read the first story it says clearly that the chef, security guard, and a local were arrested. How about the crime rate aganist foreigns rising because there are more to commit crime aganist. The increase of crime aganist farangs or other visitors would more than likely increased because there are more people visiting Thailand than 10, 20, or 30 years ago.

'"At first two suspects -- a chef and a security guard -- admitted they had robbed the couple of 2,000 baht ($67), a mobile phone and a Bangkok Bank ATM card," Winai said.'

Sorry to hear of this horrible crime.

Unsurprisingly the police have failed to come up with a convincing motive. Either the killers thought there was a lot more cash in the room or there is another motive that has not come out. Seems the killers left a trail pointing to themselves that was too obvious even for the BiB to miss and they obviously have no money or connections.

That wouldn't even make second page news in Detroit, Los Angeles or any one of a dozen US cities. In Mexico or cities in South America it has to take 10 or more murders in a day to make news at all. My sister in London, England watched a murder taking place in front of her upscale Islington town home and she phoned the police. Then she chased the murderers down the street for couple of blocks before she came to her senses. The Bobbies from the station around the corner arrived an hour later. At least the Thai cops were on the ball and captured the thugs.

I always wonder about that. The Thai police seem to capture a greater percentage of murderers and 10 times quicker than anywhere in North America.

I just saw on another news outlet that allegedly the police have already made arrests of the killers? Is this correct?

It is on phuketwan. I don't know if it one of the news sites permitted to be linked to Thaivisa.

Simply read the news blurb at the beginning of the thread. All kinds of posters here that obviosly didn't read before commenting...

Does anybody know the name of the resort? I am getting married in Prachuap Khiri Khan in May, and frankly, will want to avoid this hotel.

Why, would you anticipate that the perpetrators will strike again at the same resort. You might be safer there than another resort. Also, would you refuse to drive on a highway that had bus crashes? Nothing suggests that the selection of venue has anything to do with the crime.

You are right of course, but even so, I for one would not be giving any money to a Resort owner that has the kind of staff that would do this kind of thing on a whim. Ok; I know it could happen anywhere but lightning can, and does, strike in the same place twice !

Having personal experience, i am of the opinion, its caused by the increase of drug use.

And to think! people condemned Thaksin for taking strong measures against the drug trade.

People during the Thaksin "cleansing" could simply accuse someone they didn't like as a drug pusher and caught up with the bloodlust, the cops would simply take the innocent out and shoot them. That mi amigo is what the people were upset at. More than 2000 dead. Some guilty, some not.

Details are there in the press report so why all the need to speculate over how/why?

Thailand is no better or worse than any other country in the world for unnecessary violence.

Let the victims RIP and the families get on with their grieving.

The area where the alleged crime took place is quite close to the border with Burma, roughly 30km and sounds like a criminal act perpetrated by some desperate person/s. That fact that a Thai was also a victim is a bit odd.

Watch this space.

Are you for real or first time here?

Thai's are killing each other by the dozen daily, you just don't get to read about it.

Just look where they are on gun related deaths, only behind Mexico and South Africa and they're not shooting foreigners!!.The arrested people are all Thai.

What's being 30 kms from the Burmese border got to do with anything?

You probably haven't been to Burma or know anything about its people either!

And do tell what Thai seaside resort is 30 kilometers from Burma??

For what is on the whole, considered a beautiful country and culture this is a truly shocking incident and i am continually shocked every other week when i read of such incidents here in Thailand.

The economy is one thing but more importantly, socially/environmentally what is happening here and what has gone wrong for one human being to take away the lives of other human beings in such an horrific way for what has been described as a "robbery"?

Agree with most of what you say, its just the culture bit that i sometimes have a problem with.

From what i have seen over many years in Thailand is that Thai males (not all) are very prone to using extreme violence under many different circumstances, is that a "culture" thing?

• Like 1