WFFT Charges Top DNP Officials With Defamation

webfact

WFFT charges top DNP officials with defamation

Phuket Gazette

phuket-1-12583AyBTVATSgDLpdlFyABnTsSOeHF.jpg

Edwin Wiek (left) explains to a Swiss film crew about the recent developments in Thailand's elephant trade. Photo: WFFT

phuket-4-12583bUmOmBNmZYBVmLddJVhlsRSUjX.jpg

A bull elephant at Kaeng Krachan National Park, where the Thai elephant trade crackdown fiasco all began. Photo: WFFT

PHUKET: -- A Dutch-born wildlife activist has filed defamation charges against top-ranking Thai officials of the Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation (DNP) for claiming his shelter in Petchaburi was involved in the torture and trade of protected wildlife species.

The charges are the latest salvo in the battle between the DNP and the Wildlife Friends Foundation Thailand (WFFT), whose shelter was subjected to an eight-day DNP raid a month ago that saw 103 animals removed – purportedly for lack of correct paperwork.

Mr Wiek told the Phuket Gazette that he was absolutely certain the raids were motivated out of revenge for comments Mr Wiek made about the DNP and the illegal elephant trade in Thailand.

Asked if he feared that any of the primates seized may end up as testing “guinea pigs” at the newly-established National Primate Research Center in Saraburi, Mr Wiek said he was confident that all of the confiscated animals would eventually have to be returned “because all of the paperwork is in order”.

However, Mr Wiek said yesterday that the DNP had so far returned only four animals to the sanctuary.

“Of 99 animals still held by the DNP, 21 were born at our facility,” he said.

“They received letters acknowledging the births, but then they never came here to mark them or complete the registration process properly, such as by implanting them with microchips. They have actually neglected their job,” he said.

The DNP, citing economic constraints, never carried through on a 2003 ministerial regulation requiring animals registered with them during the 2003 “amnesty period” to be micro-chipped, he added.

As current chair of the WFFT board, Mr Wiek’s wife, Jansaeng Sangnanork, was arrested during the raids.

“They really wanted me, but she took the hit because she can never be kicked out of the country. That’s why the DNP is so angry, because now the fight is against a 34-year-old Thai woman crying on television, not a bald fat Dutch guy with a big mouth,” he said.

The WFFT has already filed defamation charges against some top-level DNP officials and is preparing to do the same against the DNP Director General Damrong Phidet, he revealed.

“The case against him is a bit more complicated, but he made a few remarks that were completely unfounded. He is going to go down for this, but we will handle his case in the same professional way we deal with the others,” said Mr Wiek.

The raid on the WFFT shelter and the recent raid on the compound of a notorious wildlife trader in Saraburi highlights the double standards in the way the DNP is currently run, he said.

In the raid on the Saraburi trader, the owner told DNP officials he needed five days to compile the paperwork. None of the animals were removed from the compound, even though the facility was not registered as a private zoo and the owner had a previous conviction for illegal possession of protected species, Mr Wiek said.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...ticle12583.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-03-14

I met Edwin Wiek twice and I really do believe he is honest, and integer. His battle is against "corrupted" Thai officials. This Land off the Smiles has to many wrong (greedy, corrupted) people on important positions.

I do Admirer The King. YES;

LONG LIVE THE KING, but many off the State Officials only are greedy and corrupt and don't now what sufficiency means.

Thailands Neighbors will prosper from Thailands corrupted mentality.

love this guy. he knows this country is a ****hole but he still fights with his life on the line (no way he doesnt get shot soon) for the animals who did not chose to be living with thais.

How do you donate to his sanctuary? when people ask me for a good place to donate money, that should be perfect as none of the $ goes toward people

• Like 1

love this guy. he knows this country is a ****hole but he still fights with his life on the line (no way he doesnt get shot soon) for the animals who did not chose to be living with thais.

How do you donate to his sanctuary? when people ask me for a good place to donate money, that should be perfect as none of the $ goes toward people

And I will give a few bucks for his security team. He is gonna

need one.

I think this thread should get moved to general Thai news as this isn't Phuket related and it will get more eyeballs in general. Good this guy for standing up to corruption. Do they sell kevlar vests in TH?

Edited by steelepulse

I don't think he believes the country is a shithole. There are things wrong with it, but your continuous exaggeration does not do you any good.

I hope this does not bite Edwin in the ass.

And I will give a few bucks for his security team. He is gonna

need one.

First of all you can help by signing the petition here

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/2/urgent-plea-for-rescued-thai-wildlife/

and to Donate go to their website and click on Donate at the top

https://www.facebook.com/WildlifeFriendsFoundation

or go directly to the Donate page

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_flow&SESSION=_oJzQpZj6AZpSbYb_b_XDEm_9FFU5gY4e4zMBjBvRTf1B4a97ekU41Q7G58&dispatch=5885d80a13c0db1f8e263663d3faee8dcbcd55a50598f04d927139403713ca13

Just out of curiosity if this ends in a court case who is going to be paying for it I should hope it is not coming out of donations for the animals.

They're going to WIN!!! and let the bloody DNP pay for it ....!! If they don't win then it just reconfirms what a corrupt country this place is ////

Just out of curiosity if this ends in a court case who is going to be paying for it I should hope it is not coming out of donations for the animals.

They're going to WIN!!! and let the bloody DNP pay for it ....!! If they don't win then it just reconfirms what a corrupt country this place is ////

You really believe they will win I don't even think it will get that far you are not going to win against the government and I have news for you all countries are corrupt some just cover it up better than others.

You still didn't answer my question where is the money coming from to bring these charges and fight this case

And let's add this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dngvRb3i-s&feature=share