Printing A3 Size Photos

hughden

Have tried having larger size photos printed at the usual Kodak Digital outlets; but the results were very disappointing; seems like their ink stock is mixed at random and left in the sun to rot, before being used.

Anyone know of an place which will make good quality prints?

Thanks

Camera is 6MP Canon 300D. I have had A3 prints done at a professional place when I lived in Bangkok and they looked great (although I think anything more than A3 would start to suffer).

I did a trial with one of the Kodak Express places here with an A4 print and it looked crap compared to a print from my cheapo home printer with "unofficial" ink; so I was not inclined to part with more cash for them to screw up an A3 print. Just wondering whether there is anywhere in Pattaya that does a proper job.....

This is a table I got off the web:

For a 300 DPI print (super sharp photo intended for viewing up close)

Print Size Resolution needed for 300 DPI print

4x6 about 2 MP

5x7 about 3 MP

8x10 about 6 MP

11x14 about 14 MP

13x20 about 23 MP

For a 150 DPI print (photo quality when viewed at "arms length")

Print Size Resolution needed for 150 DPI print

4x6 about 0.5 MP

5x7 about 1 MP

8x10 about 2 MP

11x14 about 3.4 MP

13x20 about 6 MP

So with 14MP you could print a reasonable photo quality about the size of your wall I expect!

Depends what you were printing..............................

What is your camera anyway? I desire a Canon 1D or 5D but waiting for the 20D replacement next year as a more affordable alternative

Stand by...I will check. I left the camera with my wife and I am now out of country.

It is a fujifilm, but the modelnumber I am unsure of.

Have tried having larger size photos printed at the usual Kodak Digital outlets; but the results were very disappointing; seems like their ink stock is mixed at random and left in the sun to rot, before being used.

Thanks

http://www.iqlab.co.th/pricelist1.asp?#12

Here's the price at IQ lab in BKK.

• 1 month later...

Thanks

Or you can try this printer.

http://www.canon.co.uk/for_home/product_fi...bble_jet/i9950/

This photo-grade, 4800 x 2400 dpi* resolution, 2 pl drop size precision, 8 ink cartridges printer will print up to A3 size. Sold for B21,000 + in Thailand. Now that I have bought full-size sensor DSLR (Canon 5D) I am seriously considering getting this printer. I wonder what the running cost of printing one A3 size picture with highest-quality photo grade paper.

:D:D:D

I did experiment with a couple of my photos. One Panoramic (3 photos in 1) saved in Tiff 30 odd mb’s came out “Original Size” 2 meters by 60 odd cm. From a distance and driving by it at say 60 kms an hour not bad, but at close up looked Kr*p. Use the printer’s for the first time and they were very shy towards me, when I picked them up, as they knew they stuffed it up. :D

The other one 3.6 mb photo (1 meter by 60 odd cm wide) once again same, same and too dark as well.

Printing Original Photos as is, so to say, not recommended, unless you Kan see their work first.

Or maybe I was wrong trying this ? :D

Yours truly, :o

Kan Win :D

Printing Original Photos as is, so to say, not recommended, unless you Kan see their work first.

Or maybe I was wrong trying this ? :o

What is the camera you used for that shot? Perhaps you needed a camera with 5 million or up pixels and high pixel pitch (thus large dynamic range, therefore preferably DSLR) to print anything into A3 size that you can bear close-up viewing. And what was the spec (dpi) of the printer used? I guess it depends on the quality of the paper and ink cartridges as well....

From a distance and driving by it at say 60 kms an hour not bad, but at close up looked Kr*p.

That's not how you want to view your portfolio. :D

:D:D:D

Hi Nordlys, :D

Thank you for your input. :D

8080 Oly @ 8 mil pixels.

I normally print 10” x 12” and they come out really great close up.

Paper was canvas like, waterproof, ink ??? supposed to be all weather proof. New Printer Company to me BTW.

Anyway, will try and take some photos this week-end and show you the results of those two stuff-ups that I made from a little afar.

Happy Shooting. :o

Yours truly, :D

Kan Win :D

I printed 16"x20" (in Fujifilm shop in Jakarta) from 8MP TIFF (from RAW) for couple of my night shots. It turns out great even when I look closely. Details retained, no noise or smudged pixels. Off course the original pic also needs to be good & sharp.

Last weekend I printed more than 300 sheets of 4"x6" at Silver photo store in MBK (2nd floor). I'm very satisfied with the result. I think they did more color saturation and exposure balancing. Didn't ask if they can print big size.