Problem With Refrigerator

KIWIBATCH

Can someone advise, help, suggest...perhaps I am overeacting but I am quite concerned about the amount of heat being given off from the back of my near new refrigerator.

Its a Samsung...chest height....1/3 of it is a seperate freezer compartment, the remaining 2/3rds is the normal fridge storage.

It is 8 months old...it is placed inside my apartment well away from the doors leading to the terrace...it does receive any direct sunlight....and I have it situated in the apartment with adequate "airspace" from the walls. My apartment is on the cool side of the complex and I am on level 2.

The back of the fridge is covered in with a lightweight metal cover...it is that hot over 2/3rds of the cover that you can only rest your hand on it for 1 or 2 seconds...I dont think this is normal...I am not sure.

any thoughts welcomed..thanks

it is perfectly normal for a refrigerator to emit heat

after all it's a heat pump

pumping the heat from the cool compartment inside to the environment outside

this process involves a phase change from liquid refrigerant to vapor

otherwise it would be impossible to pump heat from a place cooler than the environment

thanks to Carl von Linde

in fact any heat pump, fridge, A/C emits about 3-5 times more energy by heat than it consumes electricity

Have you a way of checking the inside temp, did you just set it for the max cold position, if yes it will keep on working harder and will emit more heat.

Does it ever stop cooling besides the cycles to heat the internal element to free it of ice, or is it a continuously running compressor? ?

If it does have intervals of cooling and stopping and the temperature is set to normal levels I wouldn't worry about the heat.

If you can only rest your hand there 1 or 2 seconds on the outside grill of the fridge because it is too hot then you have a problem. You could even have a short and have current running through that grill. Otherwise it is very normal for a fridge to give off heat.

You say you have had it 8-months? Was it like this new?

Edit: have you checked to see if it is very dusty/dirty inside?

Edited by Nisa

It should still be under warranty, if you have doubt why not call Samsung and have come at take a look at it for free?

Like everyone said, it is normal. I also have a new Samsung refrigerator and haven't had any problems with the back being hot.

Edited by arkom

There are mulloun (wrong spelling) heaters that surround the refrigerator to keep moisture from forming. They are on all the time, so it will be normal for it to feel hot to the touch and at times very hot. If it is a frost free, make sure to clean the condenser (grill under or in back of the refrigerator). Dust can collect around and through it. If it's only 6 months old, I wouldn't worry about it. It's normal.

It should still be under warranty, if you have doubt why not call Samsung and have come at take a look at it for free?

Like everyone said, it is normal. I also have a new Samsung refrigerator and haven't had any problems with the back being hot.

I hope you don't have a problem with a Samsung product. I bought an air conditioner and after 3 months of trying to get a factory authorized service company to repair ir with no luck, I repaired it myself. I'll never again own anything with a Samsung name o it.

The back of the fridge is covered in with a lightweight metal cover...it is that hot over 2/3rds of the cover that you can only rest your hand on it for 1 or 2 seconds

Keep your hands off of any metal parts in the back of the fridge. You could end up with a shocking surprise.

I hope you don't have a problem with a Samsung product. I bought an air conditioner and after 3 months of trying to get a factory authorized service company to repair ir with no luck, I repaired it myself. I'll never again own anything with a Samsung name o it.

And for an opposing view I have had excellent service from Samsung! They fixed a washing machine for free even though a local handyman had hacked some prefectly good parts out of it first. Another washer that had floated on it's side in the flood for 4 weeks was fixed for 49 baht. I love Samsung smile.png

Samsung TV's are great for their price and quality.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Skin phone. cheesy.gif

-mel.

Thanks to everyone for the helpful advice. I dont have much in the freezer compartment at all so the suggestion I keep it fuller is appreciated. I will also do some maintenance re any buildup of dust in the internal workings...after I unplug it from the wall socket...once again thankyou to all

Try not to have it set to max, and always keep it as full as possible, fridges work more efficiently the more they have in them.

A Vulcan will always take great care in keeping his fridge full. It's the logical thing to do.

• 2 weeks later...

We have got a Toshiba fridge and from day one it was hot. In fact in now lives outside the front door as I felt like I was walking into a sauna every morning (by the way-The Thai people say-if its hot then its working well) As for myself-having had many fridges over the years in NZ and Australia i have never come across any fridge that was as hot as they are here in Thailand, I don't think it is "normal" to be that hot