Phuket Bus Crash Victims All Safe

Lite Beer

Phuket bus crash victims all safe

Phuket Gazette –

phuket-1-12607AWFhEYWkEJTrxEZRUPZjWGZXAA.jpg

Rescue workers carefully remove bus crash victims by using backboards. Photo: Warisa Temram

phuket-4-12607hXNhpNMlmJejHXdbZxjcbnoByB.jpg

The tour bus carrying Ministry of Labor officers plowed into Ms Sunisa’s home as it descended Patong Hill. Photo: Warisa Temram

PHUKET: Wichean Tungjit, the 25-year-old Phuket tuk-tuk driver involved in this morning’s bus crash on Patong Hill, was diagnosed by doctors as having a mild concussion, but not a fractured skull, as was originally feared.

Mr Wichean was among the 10 people rushed to Patong Hospital after the accident, which happened at about 6:50am.

He suffered a head injury and was conscious, but staff at Patong Hospital feared he had a fractured skull from the impact.

As a precaution, Mr Wichean was transferred to Vachira Phuket Hospital in Phuket Town, where doctors in the neurology department have now confirmed that he is responding to stimuli, despite still suffering from a mild concussion.

He is now being kept at the hospital for observation.

The bus driver, whose name was confirmed as Chalerm Sri Moongkhun, 46, suffered injuries to his left arm and the back of his left foot.

Patong Hospital confirmed the other injured as Somjit Intijun, 48, injured left leg; Nitawan Kummart, 51, twisted cartilage and stomach pain; Ms Pimalai Yatpleum, 34, unspecified; Ms Arunrat Phokaew, 46, knee injury; and Mr Assadayuth Temwiriyakul, 36, minor knee injury.

Rittichai Srihamart, 14, was the youngest person injured. He suffered a gash on his right knee.

Investigating officer Lt Thanakrit Kiawyai of the Patong Police explained to the Phuket Gazette that the bus was one of three arriving from Bangkok bringing more than 100 Ministry of Labor officials for a two-day seminar in Phuket.

“They were heading to the Sea Pearl Resort where they are staying and attending a seminar that is scheduled to start tomorrow,” he said.

As the bus approached the final curve on its descent into Patong, it collided with a yellow tuk-tuk being driven by Mr Wichean before crashing into the front of the house belonging to Ms Sunisa Machom.

The curve, known locally as “Pla Ra Curve” is about 100 meters from Patong Temple.

“The tuk-tuk was heading toward Phuket Town. The bus driver swerved to avoid it, and crashed into the house,” said Lt Thanakrit.

Police are continuing their investigation into cause of the accident, he said.

The Ministry of Labor delegates are scheduled to return to Bangkok on Sunday, he added.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...ticle12606.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-03-16

The bus driver was going to fast round the bend and over shot the corner

Not so sure about that. A thai newspaper reports that a tuk tuk coming up the hill caused the bus to veer left into the house on the left side of the downslope long before the right hand bend where vehicles usually crash if going too fast.

Not so sure about that. A thai newspaper reports that a tuk tuk coming up the hill caused the bus to veer left into the house on the left side of the downslope long before the right hand bend where vehicles usually crash if going too fast.

Trust me it happend right infront of me i was cycling up patong hill as the bus came down. The Tuk tuk stopped 2 meters in front of me. 2 guys came over to help we flipped it back over and got the drive out

The bus over shot the corner wiped the tuk tuk out it came bouncing back down the road. The bus lost control skided down the road and and straight it the house

Edited by pete600

Good, a first hand witness report. So you can explain why the bus overshot a left hand bend yet crashed into a house on the left inside of the bend. Are you saying th bus overshot the bend, overcorrected and crashed into the left side ??

edit// ok, you edited post explains it well. Thank you

Strange day in a good way...I drove from Paaklok all the way down to Rawai and back. EVERY van I encountered today was driving slowly, safely and not once did I see ANY tailgating or the normal rudeness. Was like I was in the twilight zone. Anyone else notice this strange phenomenom? I know this is not exactly on this bus crash but kinda related overall.

Strange day in a good way...I drove from Paaklok all the way down to Rawai and back. EVERY van I encountered today was driving slowly, safely and not once did I see ANY tailgating or the normal rudeness. Was like I was in the twilight zone. Anyone else notice this strange phenomenom? I know this is not exactly on this bus crash but kinda related overall.

I wonder if some warnings have been issued. I drove to Ranong and back on Wednesday and like you only saw minibuses being driven sensibly, not the normal suicidal/homicidal driving.