Digital Cameras

johnh101

I had a Canon Powershot and I loved it - damned good camera so, when it died on me I thought I'd buy another so that I could use the upgrade memory chip I'd bought.

Had a look at a couple but it seems that they've changed the memory chip so that my Flash card would have been useless.

I ended up considering the Fujifilm 'S' series. They look like SLR cameras and seemed to have good writeups. As someone else mentioned on a previous post, one drawback is that they use these new fangled XD cards but I read that the S7000 model can take both the XD and Flash.

Hunted around but, alas, it seems that they're not in the shops yet. I plumped for the S5600 model. Most shops were quoting 15,500 baht a time but I wandered into a small shop in Future Parks called Brock's and they had the same model for 13,500.

Upshot is that I bought it. Only had it a couple of days but seems a nice machine with 5MPs and 10X zoom. The XD is a bummer at only 16Meg (what the hel_l are you meant to do with that) but, having saved 2,000 baht on the price I'm not too freaked about spending another 2,000 or so on buying a bigger card. I can get a 500+ meg one for around that price.

The only real gripe I have is that, having spent extra on a computer with an all singing and all dancing card reader, it won't take the XD card which means either buying an adapter or downloading via a USB cable.

But costwise, I think it's hard to say if digital is really more advantageous over film.  Like I said earlier, I do have a new, just-released DSLR which I paid four times as much as my 8 years old film SLR while the latter is higher in spec as a camera than the former.  And per frame cost of memory cards is still very expensive compared to film in my opinion, so it really comes down to how many pictures you take.  And it costs more to make digital print than printing out of negatives (or even positives).

While I would agree the basic camera is still more expensive than it should be the memory is not a use and throw away item - it can be used for the life of the camera so per shot cost should be very low for most people. As for processing I do it myself and that is probably much less than film as I only print what I want - with film it was print the roll. And my eyes were never good enough to judge a positive or negative 35mm size so just having a contact sheet made was not an option. My darkroom days ended in the 50's (when b/w was king) and twin lens reflex the camera. :o

• 2 weeks later...
Although you've probably got enough review sites here to be getting on with, I'd just like to also recommend my personal fave camera review site:

http://www.dpreview.com/

Hope this helps,

Dan.

:D:D:D

Sure did help me in 1999 and in 2004 with my cameras, and of course good reading and keeping you up-to-dated with the latest bits and pieces.

Thank you “Dan” for this one. Had you not mentioned that site, I would have. IMHO = (In My Honest Opinion) that is one of the best sites that I frequent and were I found my cameras that I have enjoyed and still enjoy today.

Happy Shooting :o

Yours truly, :D

Kan Win :D

Edited by Kan Win

Although you've probably got enough review sites here to be getting on with, I'd just like to also recommend my personal fave camera review site:

http://www.dpreview.com/

Hope this helps,

Dan.

:D:D:D

Sure did help me in 1999 and in 2004 with my cameras, and of course good reading and keeping you up-to-dated with the latest bits and pieces.

Thank you “Dan” for this one. Had you not mentioned that site, I would have. IMHO = (In My Honest Opinion) that is one of the best sites that I frequent and were I found my cameras that I have enjoyed and still enjoy today.

Happy Shooting :o

Yours truly, :D

Kan Win :D

what does he want to do with the camera. just easy photos . yeah the cannon a210 i have also , sux cause of the lag, doesnt have triple flash either. I have a d90 thats nice, can do anything . i like the og film better.

• 2 weeks later...

My friend brought me the Sony S-40 from the US as I asked him to do. For an entry level camera I have to say it is quite impressive. It is 3 times optical zoom and 4.1 mega-pixels. I wasn't impressed with the shutter lag but then I discovered that there is a setting that automatically sets the focus prior to pushing the shutter button. This makes the shutter lag barely noticeable. For about $150 US it is a good buy. You pay for eliminating the shutter lag with battery life. Since the camera is constantly focusing automatically it shortens battery life quite a bit. :o

Although quite big my cannon G5 is a great camera and has never let me down despite taking a battering, but recently I have been drawn back to film. If I had the money I would definatly buy a Leica M6. Maby Im getting older but I love the feel of a good solid camera that weighs a ton.... :o Im also a great lover of vinyl records over CD'S.