Friend Busted With Marijuana On Khao San

I have a friend who, on his second day back to Thailand, went to Khao San Road to drink with some of his friends he hadn't seen for awhile. He is 20 years old and a student in the United States, but he is able to travel and study since he does everything on the Internet. Anyways, he bought a small bag of marijuana from the <snip> bar on one of the sois off of Khao San Road. Next thing, probably about 5-10 minutes later he was sitting on the side of the street and the police showed up and searched his pockets and took his passport and the marijuana. The police took the passport and was told to meet them at a restaurant in 15 minutes with 20000 baht. He went back to Nakhon Pathom where he is staying so that he could arrange the money because he didn't have that large of amount with him. The ATM card he uses is not functioning because the bank put a hold on it since it was being used in Thailand. The bank then cancelled it, but he has had the money wired over and should be here soon. He can also use his credit card to get a cash advance and pay the police the money they wanted and get his passport back. I'm not sure what to do so I decided to ask around on here for him. Should he go to the police station and ask for the passport back and they will get ahold of the officer that has it? I don't think it will be easy to find the guy and don't even know what they might have done with his passport by now. Any advice?

Edited by craigt3365
removed reference to bar

OK, so he was foolish and broke the law, but so are the police breaking the law in their attempt to extort him.

His options are:

1) Pay up the 20,000B.

2) Go with less money and sob stroy, negotiate i.e. down to 5,000B or 10,000B (have 20,000B just incase they refuse to negotiate).

3) Report the passport lost / stolen at police station (on the other side of town) and get a police report. Re-apply for passport at his embassy. Go out to the airport (his port of entry) and get re-stamped (he'll need to remember the day he arrived).

The risk with option 3 is that they might have already alerted the authorities that your friend is facing charges, but unlikely if they are trying to extort him.

In his shoes I would not be willing to go to the police station. For options 1 and 2 he should send a friend to arrange a meeting place (i.e. the first restaurant you met them in).

I would get the transaction on video and post it on youtube

Not very wise if you value your safety.

This is a business for them. How much profit in selling a bag of dope versus scamming a tourist for 20K baht, plus getting the bag of dope back too? It's been going on a long time and they are good at it, much like the jet ski scammers. Remember where you are.

Edited by KeyserSoze01
  • Like 2

This is a business for them. How much profit in selling a bag of dope versus scamming a tourist for 20K baht, plus getting the bag of dope back too? It's been going on a long time and they are good at it, much like the jet ski scammers. Remember where you are.

Not QUITE like the jet ski scam, in which the victims are totally innocent. Let's not lose sight if the fact that the guy was BUYING DRUGS. He should feel lucky that he's being given a chance to buy his way out of it rather than doing hard time. No sympathy at all from me.

He's a complete plonker for buying drugs anywhere in Bangkok. There are quiet, out of the way places for that type of behaviour. Bangkok is waaay to much of a risk.

If of course this isn't the usual troll post.

OK some fair advice. Go back to the bar and ask to see the copper. If they don't accept say 10k then pay the lot. If they demand more then refuse to pay.

Let the case come before the court....he will get a slap on the wrist and a small fine.

Not QUITE like the jet ski scam, in which the victims are totally innocent. Let's not lose sight if the fact that the guy was BUYING DRUGS. He should feel lucky that he's being given a chance to buy his way out of it rather than doing hard time. No sympathy at all from me.

Irregardless of the victim's intent, the setup is the same. A foreigner enters into a business transaction that goes pear shaped, to the benefit of the scammer. BTW, there are many things that are illegal in Thailand which are a part of everyday life, like prostitution for example. Don't see many people being scammed for 20K baht for that, do we.

Um, no...because buying sex isn't illegal. Only selling it is.

• Like 1

This one is similar to the card game scam. A sucker born every minute.

Not similar at all.

In the card game scam, an innocent person is slowly befriended and lured into a rigged card game.

In the OP's friend's case, he actively went out and sought to buy drugs from a stranger. No one lured him. The problem he faces now is 100% his own doing.

This one is similar to the card game scam. A sucker born every minute.

Not similar at all.

In the card game scam, an innocent person is slowly befriended and lured into a rigged card game.

In the OP's friend's case, he actively went out and sought to buy drugs from a stranger. No one lured him. The problem he faces now is 100% his own doing.

Fair point. An idiot in any case.

Um, Thailand?? Best way to catch the crooks is with video proof

• Like 1

Ummm...does the dope buyer want to get off or does he want to go to the big house? That's the bottom line. He can ring the bell on the cops, but where do you think that will leave him?

And just what do you think would happen if a BiB caught you video taping the payoff?

And just what do you think would happen if a BiB caught you video taping the payoff?

I dunno, I'll search Google to see if I can find a Hollywood movie with just that scenario and get back to you drama boy

• Like 1

what a moron, buying weed in thailand, he got what was coming

lesson learn

maybe next time he should go to singapore and paint some graffiti

leave the drugs at home moron

Maybe next time you can save your 'Hangem high Nazi' opinions for a thread of your own. The Op asked for advice, not judgement.

So far the thread has run well without the insults. Many people are probably thinking the same thing, but realise they their comments will be the same boring rhetoric observed in other threads of similar subject matter. They have instead chosen to continue the discussion more constructively. Why do you feel the need to tarnish it ?

OP: By now something must have been done about this. Any follow up ?

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 2