Red Bull Founder Chaleo Yoovidhya Dies At 90

webfact

OBITUARY

Red Bull inventor Chaleo dies at 90

The Nation

30178186-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Building his business empire from "Baby Doll" medicine for kids, Chaleo Yoovidhya became a global icon as the inventor of "Krating Daeng" energy drink which is now sold throughout the world under "Red Bull" brand.

Born in a poor Chinese family in Phichit which earned a living through duck raising and fruit trade, he made himself a billionaire through his preserverence. From a salesman, he started a small pharmaceutical company, TC Pharmaceuticals. But, real fortune was witnessed when he introduced Krating Daeng in the 1970s, first targeted at truck drivers and blue-collar workers. Huge fortune came when he established a joint venture in 1984.

The Thai product was transformed into a global brand by Australian partner, Dietrich Mateschitz, who visited Thailand in 1982 and discovered Krating Daeng helped cure his jet-lag very quickly. He approached TC Pharmaceuticals with a proposal to market Krating Daeng in Europe, starting in his native Austria. His proposal was accepted, resulting in the incredibly successful launch of "Red Bull" in the West in 1987.

To his friends, Chaleo was fully convinced that in whatever you do, you must have in-depth knowledge in the thing or it would lead to loss of money and time.

In his book on the world’s famous figures, Vikrom Kromadit devoted part of the book to Chaleo. Recalling a meeting with the old man during a trip to China in 1993, Vikrom remembered him as "a man who knew no nonsense talk, with long sightedness and respect for others". It was a short conversation, "but I learnt a great deal from him. Though he was at old age, he appeared as a young man full with fire."

In its special issue released at the end of last year, The Nation enlisted Chaleo as one of 40 individual Thais who have made themselves known internationally.

As of March 2012, his net worth is estimated by Forbes magazine at US$5 billion, making him the world’s 205th richest man and Thailand’s third richest. Having five children, the self-made billionaire died of natural causes on Saturday, at the age of 90.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-03-17

As a "farang" parent who sends their children to ISE, a school partly owned by RedBull-50%, I wish the company would invest more money in improving the school instead of worrying about profit from a billion profit making company. RIP (good family)

As a "farang" parent who sends their children to ISE, a school partly owned by RedBull-50%, I wish the company would invest more money in improving the school instead of worrying about profit from a billion profit making company. RIP (good family)

The ISE is great maybe you child is not to smart?

if you do not like that school you send your child to a Government School. Stop complaining and wanting something for free are you from England?

Thought he was the richest Thai.Visited his latest house under construction about 6 months ago, existing of a 7000 m² building on 23 Rai of land complete with elevators and walls in black and white marble.Not too bad I should say.

RIp old guy.

F1 Championship says it all. There was nothing left to accomplish. Loved the adverts and sports sponsorships in the 80's. Love the extreme sports sponsorships now! Isn't that skydiver a Red Bull alum?

Weak? The gov. took out the M250.

Edited by kevinsan

Stop complaining and wanting something for free are you from England?

Are you from Germany? LOL

I really wish the Nation would get a native English proof reader, a native of Austria is not an Australian

I just wanted to mention that, but you were faster. Reminds me of the question of a poster to an Australian travel website asking about the performance schedule of the Vienna Boy's Choir. Seriously!

I really wish the Nation would get a native English proof reader, a native of Austria is not an Australian

I just wanted to mention that, but you were faster. Reminds me of the question of a poster to an Australian travel website asking about the performance schedule of the Vienna Boy's Choir. Seriously!

There may be some newspapers in some countries who mention Thailand as an island off the coast of China whose capital is Taipei.

However in the case of The Nation it is just sloppy journalism and they really ought to do better.

Rest in peace Chaleo. While his personal bio lists his birth year as 1932, which would make him 80, the Krating Daeng listing in wikipedia indicates that he died at "89." It's probably sensible to assume that the Thai press just mistakenly picked up the death age from the Krating Daeng wiki without checking the facts, as woud be typical. They did note that the Red Bull brand was made world famous by Dietrich Mateschitz, who appears to be still alive. Mateschitz was a marketing genius and took a little known obscure product from a hidden corner in Thai food marts, and turned it into a spectacular global brand.

Since this appears to be some sort of obituary, it's surprising that the Thai press didn't expand it to include Khun Chaleo's charitable work and contributions as they must have been extensive, based on his estimated wealth of $5 Billion USD. Most newspapers writing obituaries about significantly wealthy people, usually note something about the charitable contributions made and they were conspicuous by their absence.

• Like 2

That's ok, Three quarters of the world don't know that Austria and Australia are different countries.

Austria, Australia...why not just write 'Farang'?

Firstly, the Bangkok Post states he was 89.

Secondly, why this constant irritating 'RIP'? Either you are prepared to accept evidence, from whichsoever source of an Afterlife, in whatever form (just to fend off the 'heaven' brigade), or, you believe you're worm food/Dust In The Wind.

Either way, you are most certainly not 'resting'. Do please stop posting this asinine acronym. Anyone would think you have nothing else to say whistling.gif

Edited by silsburyhill