Finnish Tourist Behind Bars After Phi Phi Pub Row

Lite Beer

Finnish tourist behind bars after Phi Phi pub row

Phuket Gazette –

phuket-1-12618PvfUHXJWxYvySYakpXvgwkViWe.jpg

The argument started in the Slinky Bar, but ended outside with a broken beer bottle over a female bar manager's head. Photo: Facebook

PHUKET: A Finnish tourist is being held at Krabi Provincial Prison pending charges of causing bodily harm after he struck a female bar manager over the head with a beer bottle just south of Phuket on Phi Phi Island.

Ms Saen Jeen-no, the 29-year-old manager of Breakers Bar on Phi Phi Island, suffered a serious head injury and was transferred to Bangkok Hospital Phuket in Phuket Town, where she arrived at 9am last Friday and was admitted into the Intensive Care Unit (ICU).

Lt Wissawa Sanaeha, the officer at Phi Phi Island Police Station in charge of the case, named the Finnish tourist as Jake Petri, aged 31.

“He arrived on Phi Phi with his girlfriend [also from Finland] about a week ago, and the incident happened on his first night on the island,” Lt Wissawa said.

“Mr Petri and Ms Saen became embroiled in an argument at the Slinky Bar at about 2am. Both of them then left the bar, where they continued to argue. Mr Petri struck Ms Saen, and then ran away,” he said.

One of Ms Saen’s female friends grabbed Mr Petri’s girlfriend so she could not escape, Lt Wissawa explained.

“She told her to phone Mr Petri and get him to come back. So the girlfriend called him and convinced him it was best to turn himself in.

“He did. We kept him here at the police station for two days and then transferred him to Krabi Provincial Court, where he was taken into the court’s custody,” Lt Wissawa added.

“We are aware of the case. We are still waiting for the investigation to close before we present this to the court,” Sub Lt Wattanapan Umal, an inspector of Krabi Provincial Police, told the Phuket Gazette

Bail has yet to be set, the Gazette was told.

Hospital staff told the Gazette today, “Ms Saen underwent a successful operation. She has now been discharged from the ICU and is in a general recovery room.”

http://www.phuketgaz...ticle12618.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-03-18

Let me guess, the bill came with extra drinks added on. He refused to be scammed. An atercation took place. She came off second best, so now it's "big payday" for her and the police, through "mediation." (better know as extortion, or, buying your freedom back) If he was the one in hospital, it would just be, "Stupid farang drink too much and fighting." No further police action.

Anyway, more happy tourists. I'm sure it will be on the news back in Finland. Another great advertisement for tourism here.

Let me guess, the bill came with extra drinks added on. He refused to be scammed. An atercation took place. She came off second best, so now it's "big payday" for her and the police, through "mediation." (better know as extortion, or, buying your freedom back) If he was the one in hospital, it would just be, "Stupid farang drink too much and fighting." No further police action.

Anyway, more happy tourists. I'm sure it will be on the news back in Finland. Another great advertisement for tourism here.

So it's ok for a guy to crack a bottle over a womans head is it.

Does not look like any extortion going on here he probably had a chance to pay his way out while held in pp for 2 days he has now been transferred to the court holding cells so it looks like it is now going through the court system

Does not look like any extortion going on here he probably had a chance to pay his way out while held in pp for 2 days he has now been transferred to the court holding cells so it looks like it is now going through the court system

I do not condone any violence, anywhere. I'm sure there are two sides to the story. For all we know, she tried to stab him with a knife, or was going for a gun. That would now justify his actiions as self defence. So, now she is the baddie and he is the goodie. Maybe she stole is phone, or wallet, that he left sitting on the bar. Who knows? I would just like to hear his side of the story, and his real version, not one that he "agrees" to release to the public as part of the negotiations for his release from gaol.

Have you never seen a fight in a bar here? The first thing the bar girls do is hit the farang on the back of the head with a beer bottle. For all we know, she tried to do this to him, and ended up getting it back. This could just be kharma.

Anyway, I'm speculating on what MAY have happened, but, I'm leaning away from a 31 year old tourist, with his girlfriend, just belts a Thai women over the head with a beer bottle, for no real reason.

Stop guessing and try to make the Thai people the quilty person. If you don't like them that much just go somewhere else.

• Like 1

Another happy tale from the cesspit of Thailand. The island is full of every lowlife type imaginable, both foreign and Thai.

Don't change sides, last time you meant Phuket with 'the cesspit'.

Another happy tale from the cesspit of Thailand. The island is full of every lowlife type imaginable, both foreign and Thai.

Don't change sides, last time you meant Phuket with 'the cesspit'.

Nope show me the quote please.

Phi Phi is a nasty place these days....and yes I know there are some pleasant beach areas but the town area is awful.

On both of my visits to Phi Phi I witnessed drug use and casual violence between both Thais and foreigners. Not my idea of a fun place to be.

Phuket has plenty of lovely spots...my only real complaint would be a lack of trees on the beaches giving little to no shade. Oh and the traffic....

I do not condone any violence, anywhere. I'm sure there are two sides to the story. For all we know, she tried to stab him with a knife, or was going for a gun. That would now justify his actiions as self defence. So, now she is the baddie and he is the goodie. Maybe she stole is phone, or wallet, that he left sitting on the bar. Who knows? I would just like to hear his side of the story, and his real version, not one that he "agrees" to release to the public as part of the negotiations for his release from gaol.

Have you never seen a fight in a bar here? The first thing the bar girls do is hit the farang on the back of the head with a beer bottle. For all we know, she tried to do this to him, and ended up getting it back. This could just be kharma.

Anyway, I'm speculating on what MAY have happened, but, I'm leaning away from a 31 year old tourist, with his girlfriend, just belts a Thai women over the head with a beer bottle, for no real reason.

No, never seen a bar fight in Thailand. I obviously don't hang around the same places as you do.

So you don't know what happened, so quite trying to guess. Could just as equally have been the Finn that caused all the trouble. Drunk farangs act like this in many countries, especially the UK.

On both of my visits to Phi Phi I witnessed drug use and casual violence between both Thais and foreigners. Not my idea of a fun place to be.

Phuket has plenty of lovely spots...my only real complaint would be a lack of trees on the beaches giving little to no shade. Oh and the traffic....

Glad to hear you feel that way.

Plenty of trees and shade at Kata Beach.

Glad to hear you feel that way.

Plenty of trees and shade at Kata Beach.

I'll take a look on my next visit. thumbsup.gif

Mostly I've stayed in the north on previous trips...Kamala and Surin.

Stop guessing and try to make the Thai people the quilty person. If you don't like them that much just go somewhere else.

I like it here (Phuket - not Phi Phi) but I despise criminals, from any, and all countries. Frits, when you go out for a drink, do you "pay as you go" or run a bar tab?

Would you like to have a bet on what caused the argument? You have heard my guess about it, what's yours? Do you think they were arguing over the weather???? :) :)

No, never seen a bar fight in Thailand. I obviously don't hang around the same places as you do.

So you don't know what happened, so quite trying to guess. Could just as equally have been the Finn that caused all the trouble. Drunk farangs act like this in many countries, especially the UK.

Did you not read the word, "speculating" in my post? You automatically think he is the bad guy. There's two sides to every story. I HOPE we get to hear his, and his real version of events.

I don't know what places you hang around, but you can be one of the wealthy Thai's on the island, drinking with a Holywood movie star, and still end up with an axe to the head and in hospital. Ask yourself a question, would the security staff have been arrested and charged if only farang were involved in that fight????

Might well have started about the bar tab... escalated because the bloke was drunk. Still, not worth going to jail over an extra 100 baht or so..and almost killing someone.

What can be dumber than getting into a drunken barfight?

The other way around and it's just a misunderstanding with no arrests!

Stupid and pointless comment. Just shows how little you know about Thailand. People like you need to get a life.

Your post made me think, when was the last time we read about a Thai being arrested and charged for assaulting a farang on Phuket????????

The other way around and it's just a misunderstanding with no arrests!

What a crock of sh-t. A less than worthless comment.

Happy to hear any justification for your post. There are more cases of this occuring, than it not. Nominate some cases where farang have been treated equally, by police, when the complaintant is a Thai.

Might well have started about the bar tab... escalated because the bloke was drunk. Still, not worth going to jail over an extra 100 baht or so..and almost killing someone.

What can be dumber than getting into a drunken barfight?

I agree. He probably got scammed. The bill was a few hundred baht more than it should have been. He shoud have just paid it and never gone back to that bar, and told others of his bad experience there. Having said that, a lot of Thai staff prey on the fact farang tourist will do just that.

So, she undergoes a serious operation for a head injury. He's in gaol and will have to pay millions of baht, maybe with help from mum and dad, to avoid a gaol sentence in Thailand, but all over what???? Probably a small scam attempt that went pear shaped. Tragic story for all involved.

Your post made me think, when was the last time we read about a Thai being arrested and charged for assaulting a farang on Phuket????????

Mmmmm ... how abut the Tuk Tuk driver who broke the arm of the old french guy trying to park his hired car in the Kata Municipal car park just next to the Tesibaan offices. This was last year. I could think of more but that one just sprung to my mind.

// edit it was 2 years ago ...

http://www.thaivisa....__fromsearch__1

http://www.thaivisa....__fromsearch__1