Is It A Bad Time To Consider A New Bike In The 250 Cc Market?

Hi all,

I've been considering a Ninja 250 or CBR 250 for a while. However, I have also heard that Triumph may release a 250-350 in Thailand which would interest me. Some sort of genuine makeover of the Ninja appears long overdue and they must be getting financially caned against the more value orientated Honda which would lead me to think a genuine update would be on the cards. I also read that Yamaha may enter the 250 market.

I lean towards a Ninja, but would not want to buy only to have a genuine new model released shortly after. The Honda really appealed, but I have heard of a few common problems (kickstand, gear selection and jerky throttle issues) that have not been rectified and has put me off one.

Anyone feel that with a few new bikes maybe in the offing that it is not a good time to be considering buying?

Thanks

Ninja 250 is a great bike but due an update now IMO.

Mine is almost 4 years old but the model in the showroom is the same bike. I'm guessing the new model would only be a facelift anyway, the twin works great. I don't see any major releases by Yamaha or triumph on the cards.

Ninja 250 is a great bike but due an update now IMO.

Mine is almost 4 years old but the model in the showroom is the same bike. I'm guessing the new model would only be a facelift anyway, the twin works great. I don't see any major releases by Yamaha or triumph on the cards.

wait for it ,

the new honda phantom.clap2.gif

As mentioned several times, the Ninjette is unchanged. The main component of the motorbike, the engine, has its roots in the old gen engine from way back when. It has been proven to be robust and will happily rev along in the upper 2/3 of the RPM range for hours pulling this fat ass farang along and trying to keep up with the 600+ cc bikes.

However; even with the teething problems if you are looking towards getting a stop-gap bike until the supposed Triumph is released it's hard to argue against the value of the CBR. Not only is the initial purchase price a better deal; but the bikes seem to hold a larger percentage of their value. Meaning when you sell it to get the bigger bike you are out less.

Which one is better? The Honda of course. :P If you're doing heavy city riding the Honda will be a better, more forgiving bike. If you're looking for a bit more (remember that we're talking about 250cc mid-20's HP bikes now) passing power at supr-legal speeds than the Ninja will offer it. If you're into blinging out your bike than the Ninja has the MUCH larger selection of aftermarket parts available. Fuel economy goes to the CBR, but you're not talking about much savings over the Ninja. Not knowing how big you are, either bike may be undersprung for you. There are certain forum members who are just fine with the stock spring rates and others who handily exceed them. Just an observation. Neither bikes will make a co-rider happy over long distances, but the Ninjette's rear pillion is postage stamp sized and will irritate them much more quickly.

I've had the Ninja for 3 1/2 years and other than my stupidity have had no issues from it. Has traversed the Kingdom and been everywhere from mountains through flooded out plains.

It seems that the Kawasaki mechanics are much better trained than their Honda counterparts on these bikes. I accidentally left a tankful of gasahol (stupid!) in the Ninjette for ~3 months; was less than a week and the Kawi dealer in Nakhon Sawan had the bike up and running again. Compare that to the horror stories in the Honda thread (although it is the owner's responsibility to assume that anyone working on their bikes is an idiot and check out the craftmanship....I've learned that lesson in regards to chains:( ).

Honda CBR250R second hand are the best deal for a 250, IMO. Get a great little bike for 80 - 85k with a few thousand on the clock... can't be beat.

Waiting for a rumored Triumph or a rumored Yamaha doesn't make sense to me. The CFR250L might be worth waiting for if you want a dual sport as Honda has promised it will come in March... that's not even 2 weeks....

Honda CBR250R second hand are the best deal for a 250, IMO. Get a great little bike for 80 - 85k with a few thousand on the clock... can't be beat.

Waiting for a rumored Triumph or a rumored Yamaha doesn't make sense to me. The CFR250L might be worth waiting for if you want a dual sport as Honda has promised it will come in March... that's not even 2 weeks....

there is also a romoured Royal Enfield 250or 350 that might be made cheaply in India coming to thailand but realisticially if you need a bike now theres not much options on the market

cbr 250

ninja 250

d-tracker 250

id take any of the 3 but id buy a 2nd hand one from last year ,practically new and saved yourself a nice wedge for gasohol or modifications ;)

Tiger Boxer 250, Platinum 250, Keeway 250, Lifan 250.

Phantom and Keeway Superlight are only 200 cc. Phantom production & sale has been discontinued.

Edited by JSixpack

Tiger Boxer 250, Platinum 250, Keeway 250, Lifan 250.

Phantom and Keeway Superlight are only 200 cc. Phantom production & sale has been discontinued.

tiger boxer 250 is discontinued

lifan has not got enough dealer support

same with keeway as lifan

platinum is widely regarded as junk

youre basicaly left with the honda and the kawasaki offerings right now ,thats all i can see worth buying until some new models get released

op. never had the problems you have mentioned on my Cbr250.

its a great bike. lots of lowend for around town. cruises at 120kmh effortlessly with enough left for easy overtaking (even 2 up)

if you regularly take a passenger it's much better than the Ninja 250.

if it's just Max speed you after then get the ninja. if its a good all-round bike get the CBR.

I would rent them both before deciding. a woman in pattaya on Soi 13 just off beach rd opposite the 7/11 has both. and if you ask her nicely she will let you try both in the same day. or just rent each for the whole day and really five them a try out.

regards Allan

its a great bike. lots of lowend for around town. cruises at 120kmh effortlessly with enough left for easy overtaking (even 2 up)

if it's just Max speed you after then get the ninja. if its a good all-round bike get the CBR.

I would rent them both before deciding. a woman in pattaya on Soi 13 just off beach rd opposite the 7/11 has both. and if you ask her nicely she will let you try both in the same day. or just rent each for the whole day and really five them a try out.

regards Allan

"if you regularly take a passenger it's much better than the Ninja 250."

Why's that? More comfortable seat?

regards Allan

"if you regularly take a passenger it's much better than the Ninja 250."

Why's that? More comfortable seat?

yes its more comfortable for both the passenger and the rider. the Cbr has passenger hand holds the ninja doesn't. so it means the rider can move around a bit more. also the low end is better on the cbr so it's easier on the passenger no high revving to get going :D

Dun forget the KTM Baby Duke 200!

KTM-Duke-200.jpg

Forgot about that - nice little bike for sure, if a bit pricey at > 200k... is this bike now actively being sold, with license plate & registration?

I've never seen one out and about and the KTM importer had some troubles with these things before...

Dun forget the KTM Baby Duke 200!

KTM-Duke-200.jpg

Forgot about that - nice little bike for sure, if a bit pricey at > 200k... is this bike now actively being sold, with license plate & registration?

I've never seen one out and about and the KTM importer had some troubles with these things before...

220,000 thb for a 200cc bike is simply too much for most people but rest assured ,as the sun will rise in the morning,someone will order one and probably think hes getting a great deal :)

I would like to see an updated 250 cc bike like this.

Ducati_250_Scrambler_1973.jpg

NOW you're talking, PaulJones!!!!!! A 250 Street Scrambler - lovely. If I remember, this is at least the second Ducati single picture you've posted recently - didn't you also post a Mach 1? Thanks. These little Duke singles should never have been discontinued!!! Had 4 of them in my time in UK and miss my favourite Daytona 250 more than any other bike I've ever owned, big or small. No modern equivalent but my current Tiger 250 comes quite close, which is an odd thing to say considering how much stick they get from some people.