Man Fights For Life After Phuket Motorbike Crash

webfact

Man fights for life after Phuket motorbike crash

Phuket Gazette

phuket-4-12629IVsYTQpubrdtFqkZWhCDBAnyYe.jpg

Phuket Kusoldharm Foundation rescue workers at the scene. Photo: Wichai Witthawat

PHUKET: -- A man is in critical condition after his motorbike was hit by a car at a u-turn on Thepkrasattri Road in Phuket early this morning.

Thalang Police were notified of the accident just after midnight.

Arriving at the scene, the northbound lane of Thepkrasattri Road about one kilometer south of the new Tesco Thalang shopping mall, they found Apichet Chulanont lying unconscious near a badly damaged motorbike.

Phuket Kusoldharm Foundation put the victim on a backboard, gave him oxygen, and rushed him to Thalang Hospital. He was later transferred to Vachira Phuket Hospital.

The other party to the accident, a man driving a new Chevrolet SUV vehicle, told police he was driving northbound with a female companion when the motorbike driver suddenly pulled out from the Ban Nai Khlam u-turn, the site of many serious accidents over the years.

The man said he had no chance to brake in time and hit the vehicle hard.

The force of the impact was enough to seriously damage the front bumper of the heavy vehicle.

Rescue workers said the victim was unconscious and having difficulty breathing, but appeared to have been spared broken bones or visible head trauma – despite the fact that no crash helmet was found at the scene.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/archives/articles/2012/article12629.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-03-19

another motorcycle accident in phuket ..... and no helmet apparently . When people will start to understand that a good helmet can save your life . Isnt it hard or complicated to wear a helmet ? In Vietnam I never seen anyone without helmet. In Bangkok its all the time ... Sad story again for that guy. I thought the law in Thailand said helmet is compulsary .. maybe I am wrong .

I need to force my gf to wear one. She doesn't want to mess up her hair. I tell her do you want to be a beautiful dead girl?

Very strange as she (academically) is very intelligent. It's very rare to see people with helmets though. I spent a whopping 1500 baht on the best full helmet i could find. Hope I won't need it!

Re Thepkrasattri road: If you don't know the Phuket road situation too well, negotiating this road can be a bit confusing because of security measures put in place after many U-turn accidents, like the signs and the orange hats directing you to the left lane. Sometimes it gets visible only when you are already pretty close.

I wish the victim a full and speedy recovery.

Best wishes to the victim, hope he makes a full recovery.

I was just wondering, do all regional forums on Thaivisa report about every Thai motorbike accident in their region or is it something peculiar to the Phuket one?

I know we have several English lanquage newspapers/blogs on the island who sensationally report these prangs all the time and we seem to follow up with a thread in the news section. It makes life on Phuket seem much more hazardous than it is.

Do the other regional forums do the same or do they only report expat news?

• Like 1

Best wishes to the victim, hope he makes a full recovery.

I was just wondering, do all regional forums on Thaivisa report about every Thai motorbike accident in their region or is it something peculiar to the Phuket one?

I know we have several English lanquage newspapers/blogs on the island who sensationally report these prangs all the time and we seem to follow up with a thread in the news section. It makes life on Phuket seem much more hazardous than it is.

Do the other regional forums do the same or do they only report expat news?

Don't forget that also Phi Phi and Phan Nga news is reported on the forum here as Phuket news.

wishing him a full recovery isn't something you should do. wishing him to live is great but going further you're just asking for a dangerous person to be put back on the road. Hopefully he recovers just enough to not be able to drive ever again. The only way this could of been not his fault is if the car had no lights on which is impossible on a captiva

wishing him a full recovery isn't something you should do. wishing him to live is great but going further you're just asking for a dangerous person to be put back on the road. Hopefully he recovers just enough to not be able to drive ever again. The only way this could of been not his fault is if the car had no lights on which is impossible on a captiva

I'm glad to see somebody knows exactly what happened and how the culprit should be punished.