American Expats

BKK90210

Hi

Do you know if there is a large commnunity of the American expats in KORAT area? I'm doing this for my dad. He was in thailand during vietnam war era. My mom is thai and from Bangkok but willing to move to KORAT with my dad. They're both currently in the US. He's afraid by moving back to thailand he'll be too lonely.

Thanks in advance

Hi

Do you know if there is a large commnunity of the American expats in KORAT area?  I'm doing this for my dad.  He was in thailand during vietnam war era.  My mom is thai and from Bangkok but willing to move to KORAT with my dad.  They're both currently in the US.  He's afraid by moving back to thailand he'll be too lonely.

Thanks in advance

Sorry I don't have an anwser, but there is a VFW. Here's their website.

VFW Post 10217

He's afraid by moving back to thailand he'll be too lonely.

He's correct.

Even if they are there, they are likely to be zonked out of their minds by years of cheap booze and cerebral debility.

I have met some Vietnam vets in Thailand who have kept themselves dapper and not gotten blitzed. Those are invariably ex-Special Forces.

There's numerous ex-servicemen in expat communities, online and elsewhere. Some are a-ok. Others have residual self-esteem issues.

Why would they want to live in the Korat area if wife is not from there? It is not like there is still an airbase with a BX to use. Nothing, and I mean nothing, would look the same, or be the same. If they wish to live in Thailand and do not believe they could afford Bangkok perhaps the Pattaya, Chon Buri area would fit them as there would be large numbers of foreigners around and close to Bangkok. Just a thought and not aimed against living in Korat in any way; just from information provided it would not seem the logical choice.

I would suggest they come for an extended vacation and try the waters at various locations and see what feels right before making any firm commitment.

To answer your question there are a number of Americans living in Korat and the surrounding area as well as a small VFW post, as already mentioned. I don't think you would call it a "large" community. I too was in Korat during the VN war days, (1967/68 and 1972/75) and I occasionally make trips there. Lots of changes since then but the town is still pretty reconizable. I think lopburi3 has given the best advice to visit for for a few months then decide.

Why would they want to live in the Korat area if wife is not from there?  It is not like there is still an airbase with a BX to use.  Nothing, and I mean nothing, would look the same, or be the same.  If they wish to live in Thailand and do not believe they could afford Bangkok perhaps the Pattaya, Chon Buri area would fit them as there would be large numbers of foreigners around and close to Bangkok.  Just a thought and not aimed against living in Korat in any way; just from information provided it would not seem the logical choice.

I would suggest they come for an extended vacation and try the waters at various locations and see what feels right before making any firm commitment.

I have no idea why he wants to live in Korat. My dad likes thailand alot and he can eat thai foods everyday. I think it's about my mom family side. MONEY...MONEY...MONEY! They're living in Bangkok and all the way to chonburi area, so Pattaya is out of the question! I don't think the living expense is the major problem as they will have around $3600 a month to live on excluding housing expense. He just want to live far enough from her family so they wouldn't come too often and still close enough for my mom to visit them. It's so hard for my mom to say no to her family. Everytime my mom & dad went to thailand her family thinks they're a walking ATM (oh...their neighbour too!). Phuket is also not an option, my mom said it's too far.

May be they probably ended up living still in the US! :o

I spent a year or so in Khorat/Korat a few years back and can verify along the lines of Spaniel, that yes...there is still a bit of an expat community there / former GIs

The VFW restaurant is where they hang out, everyone in town knows it. Korat is home to the Second Army Area and lot of the comm. officers/Thai also like to eat at VFW. The food isnt exactly that good but its cheap.

Edited by stevesuphan

Hi

Do you know if there is a large commnunity of the American expats in KORAT area?  I'm doing this for my dad.  He was in thailand during vietnam war era.  My mom is thai and from Bangkok but willing to move to KORAT with my dad.  They're both currently in the US.  He's afraid by moving back to thailand he'll be too lonely.

Thanks in advance

Just another option there is a ton of American Expats living in Udon ex military and Non miltary. Good support for foriegn foods and activities. Has the largest VFW post in thailand the last I heard. Eight hour there abouts to the inlaws :o

I would second ray23 that the Udorn area might be better if there are reasons to avoid the in-laws. Not hard to take the overnight train or a flight to Bangkok but far enough away to keep the tribe at bay. There is a large expat population in the combined Udorn/Khon Kaen/Nong Khai area.

I spent a year or so in Khorat/Korat a few years back and can verify along the lines of Spaniel, that yes...there is still a bit of an expat community there / former GIs

The VFW restaurant is where they hang out, everyone in town knows it. Korat is home to the Second Army Area and lot of the comm. officers/Thai also like to eat at VFW. The food isnt exactly that good but its cheap.

If you are referring to the Passanee on Suranaree Road the food is excellent.

Everyone in the town knows it? I doubt that very much if you include the Thai population who appear to be in the majority.

There are a probably less than a dozen US citizens remaining in Korat province who served during the Vietnam War.

Korat is a pleasant enough town but whether the OP'S father would now find it so is doubtful. He must be in his 70's and hardly the time of life for a fundamental change in lifestyle.

Everyone in the town knows it? I doubt that very much if you include the Thai population who appear to be in the majority.

There are a probably less than a dozen US citizens remaining in Korat province who served during the Vietnam War.

Korat is a pleasant enough town but whether the OP'S father would now find it so is doubtful. He must be in his 70's and hardly the time of life for a fundamental change in lifestyle.

Why would he be in his 70's :o OP said "He was in thailand during vietnam war era" He could be as young as 51 :D As a young 17 y.o. I was in the Australian Army and action was still going on in April of 1975. And I have just turned 48 y.o. :D:D

Many of the Vietnam Vets are still in thier fifties and have active lives. The change of pace may be just the ticket for the guy, one of our guys here is 66 and spends most of his time touring Thialand on his motorcyles, This guy can hit in excess of nine hours a day in the saddle, Rides striaght through from Chaing Mia to Udon.

Really depends on the individual. I liked Korat but for a all round place to live Udon has proved best for me.

He's not that old!, he's only 59...my mom 60. He 's retired last year and thinking about moving to thailand as one of the options, because my mom expressed her desire to go back. They've been married for close to 40 yrs. So I'm not so concern of my dad will exchange my mom for 3 - 20s something. My dad love my mom a lot, but not her family!

I will pass the info to my mom and dad...they will be in thailand in the begining of the year for 3 months....hope they will check Udon area out.

Thanks all for your inputs and advices

Regards,

BKK

Edited by BKK90210

Im sure that Udon is a great place but if wants to check out Korat despite all the negitivity the city gets I find it to be a charming city . One gets a hometown feel that you can't get in Bangkok or Pattaya and if he has some history there than by all means he should come there for at least a look see .

Im sure that Udon is a great place but if wants to check out Korat despite all the negitivity the city gets I find it to be a charming  city . One gets a hometown feel that you can't get in Bangkok or Pattaya and if he has some history there than by all means he should come there for at least a look see .

Thats funny I thought Korat was a great place from ht

the little of it I have seen. I really have never hear anyone speak in the ngeative about it. It just seems that I can find most thing that I want here in Udon, with a few exceptions.

59 Huh, anohter baby LOL I'm 58 and enjoy a active life or at least as active as I want it and as kick back as I want it. I wasn't stationed here during Nam, So I had no history here when I came and no Thai wife who could speak english well, still don't have that :o I not only survived but have done much better then I did in the States with less money then your Dads retirement.

6 K in the bank 3K in retirement and for the first 18 months I paid in excess of $1200. a month in child support.

Just bought our first house here, Chevy Colorodo pickup, three motorcycle one a 750 CC. Ther is nothing I need in my home anymore I have everything I need and most of what I want. All that was done in three years.

Your Mom and Dad will be just fine here and they can enjoy life while they are still active enough to have fun

Nothing wrong with Korat! It's where my home will be soon. Not only are there those remaining Vietnam vets, but there is also a recent influx of expats into Korat. I hear that there are a "lot" of new expats just in the development where I will live. DSL is available there. Shopping is adequate, and Bangkok is not too close, not too far.

Is your Dad a military retiree? If he is he will be able to get prescriptions at the hospital pharmacy on the base which IS still open, just not overrun with Americans anymore. It was always a Thai airbase.

PM me for more info. There are a lot of Korat expats who are not on ThaiVisa.

Nothing wrong with Korat! It's where my home will be soon. Not only are there those remaining Vietnam vets, but there is also a recent influx of expats into Korat. I hear that there are a "lot" of new expats just in the development where I will live. DSL is available there. Shopping is adequate, and Bangkok is not too close, not too far.

Is your Dad a military retiree? If he is he will be able to get prescriptions at the hospital pharmacy on the base which IS still open, just not overrun with Americans anymore. It was always a Thai airbase.

I think he's a military retiree, not sure. He's in the service for 20 years, I think this is the minimum requirement for the health benefits, isn't it? I will ask him about this. All I know is that he and my mom can still go to the Madigan army medical hospital - here in Washington state....for a nominal fee, but don't know anything else. I wil have a chat with him more.

By the way...are you an american and why planning to live in Korat? Do you know the place very well? My dad loves fishing beside enjoys cruising in his Ford F150 on the dirt road somewhere. If Korat has any place for him to do some serious fishing, Oh boy...he will be supper dupper happy! The bar scene is definitely not his style. He drinks occacinally, but would love more to be able to drink at home along with a good BBQ party!

He's such a nice and gentle guy and I would love him to be very happy living there for the rest of his life. If he decided to move to thailand, I and my husband are planning to build a vacation home somewhere in chonburi or Sri Racha area,.....just want to keep my eyes on him and my mom.

I'm an American expat who has lived in Korat since April of this year. I was never in the military, but I am a retired US Federal Employee.

Korat is just fine. You can pretty much get anything you need, prices are low, the people are friendly and there is plenty to keep you busy. And, Bangkok is just a few hours away if you feel the need some urban delights, including high prices and lots of traffic. (There are only two regular items on my Bangkok shopping list: books and cheese. Neither readily available in Korat.)

The VFW no longer meets at the old VFW restaurant. They now meet at The Pasinee, which, as stated above, has excellent food. It is also somewhat of an expat hangout -- non-military and non-US expats included.

I like Korat and plan to stay a while.

I think he's a military retiree, not sure.  He's in the service for 20 years, I think this is the minimum requirement for the health benefits, isn't it?

Yep, he's a retiree. Does he know he can get an APO box at the US Embassy in Bangkok if he moves here? Very handy, but only things that will fit into the box can be sent to it. Wonderful for things like credit cards, as it never enters the Thai mail system. I think he can get privileges at the base, too. Not absolutely sure, as I am not eligible, but I think so.

Yes, there is fishing in the area. Plus there is a special fish farm place for fisherman nearby, if I recall correctly. I think you can then sell your fish to them for a credit against fish you buy, or you can have them cook your fish at the restaurant there. Not free, of course, but a guaranteed catch. :o

My husband and I are retiring to Korat because we like the area, we know a few people there, and it's not as expensive as other places. Chiang Mai is my favorite city, but Korat is not far behind. It too is an ancient walled city, and has a small section of wall rebuilt. Best of all is the lack of tourists and go-go bars. The people are amazingly helpful, friendly, and kind. While I was staying in my house the neighbor ladies expected me to be out sweeping my porch at 7 or 8AM with them, and then joining in the social session that followed. Now, not a one of them knew any English, and my Thai is inferior to that of a 2 year old, but we communicated and had fun anyway. Acceptance might never happen, but good-humored tolerance was immediate for me.

Where would that fishing place be?

My son is arriving tomorrow and he loves to fish.

Btw,I agree with a lot of what you're saying Cathyy.Exact why I am here as retiree. :o

Looking at the posts,it may well be that I know (from face) some of these posters,having my daily coffee at the coffeeworld in the Mall!

Where would that fishing place be?

My son is arriving tomorrow and he loves to fish.

You do realize you're asking a woman where a place is?

Dutch, I have been by the place once, and I was not driving. My Thai friend told me what the place was as we drove by. My best recollection is that it is on the road going south out of Korat that goes to Don Kwiang, (pardon my misspelling/mispronunciation, the pottery places) not the other one that goes to Pak Thong Chai. I think it is not too far from all the pottery places.

I think there's fishing at the lake inside the airbase, too, but you probably don't have permission to use the base facilities. Then there's that big reservoir off the freeway, but it's a bit of a drive.

Sure wish I was in Korat now. The temperature here has gone up to 0 Celsius after lows of -11 or so for a couple weeks. And maybe I have seen you at the Mall before, too.

• 1 month later...

I am very curious about the hospital pharmacy on the base.

I retired from the US Army.

My wife (Thai) of 35 years and I are moving to Thailand within the next 2 years and have yet to decide on where to settle.

Any additional information you could give us on the military retiree benifits in Korat would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,