webfact

ENTERTAINMENT

Blades of colour

ONRAVEE TANGMEESANG

SPECIAL TO THE NATION

Penang, Malaysia

30178288-01_big.jpg

'Disney on Ice' returns to Bangkok for four days of chilly pleasure

BANGKOK: -- It may be hot and sunny in Thailand but fans of Princess Tiana and her Prince Naveen from the "Princess and the Frog" will have a chance to cool down starting from Friday as the ice-skating spectacular "Disney on Ice" arrives at Impact Arena, Muang Thong Thani.

This year, Mickey, Minnie and their best friends will take fans to join festivals and celebrations from all over the world under the theme "Let's Celebrate". Members of the audience, accompanied by more than 50 Disney characters from 16 stories, will experience the joy of celebrations through various parties, starting with Alice in Wonderland's Very Merry Unbirthday Party, where Mickey, Minnie and pals try to throw a birthday bash but end up creating a mess. That's followed by Jack Skellington's scary Halloween Party with Disney villains.

The mood switches to a romantic Valentine's Day Royal Ball where Minnie wonders whether Mickey's the right guy for her. With the help from the Fairy Godmother and all the Disney princesses and princes, Minnie finally finds her Valentine. Then, the Disney characters travel to Hawaii to join Lilo and Stitch in a Hawaiian luau with the limbo, hula dancing and fire baton twirling.

The fun is not over as Mickey and Minnie find a teleportation device that can take them to anywhere in the world. Mickey chooses to be part of Carnival in Brazil while Minnie takes pleasure in wearing a traditional kimono dress for the Japanese Cherry Blossom celebration. Mickey tries to find his Minnie via teleportation but ends up teaming with Mulan and Shang in China in time for Chinese New Year in China.

Micky and Minnie eventually do find each other among the crowd at the Mardi Gras celebration in New Orleans. This party also features Princess Tiana. The show concludes with the biggest celebration of everyone's favourite holiday season - Christmas.

All the characters including those from "Toy Story" and "Toy Story 2" celebrate this happiest time of the year, which ends with a stunning Winter Wonderland finale.

"There are outstanding techniques in every scene and all the celebrations have fireworks or snow, which the audience loves," says performance director Stuart McDonald. "Special UV lighting is used to highlight skaters who dress as brooms in a Very Merry UnBirthday party and we also have fire rising from the ice."

The atmosphere of each celebration is enhanced by a large video projector that displays the vivid background of all the festivals. "Disney on Ice: this year is coming with almost 100 crewmembers and tons of equipment, as well as some 800 costumes and accessories. Each performer has an average of four costume changes and all of them are in vibrant colours stitched with colourful feathers and beads. The accessories include Alice's birthday hat, pink Japanese Cherry Blossom fans, and giant brightly coloured feathered headpieces for the Brazilian carnival.

The skaters are, of course, able to move, jump and spin without limitation. Alvin Chau, who stars as General Shang, says the most difficult scene for me is the Chinese New Year celebration, as there is a huge Chinese dragon, running around the stage and skaters have to be careful not to over step each other's lines. A skater since the age of six, Brandee Malto who portrays Princess Tiana, says the most challenging part of the performance is when everyone has to work cohesively as a team.

FUN ON THE ICE

"Disney on Ice" performs at Impact Arena, Muang Thong Thani from Friday through March 27. Tickets costing from Bt500 to Bt1,300 along with VIP tickets at Bt1,500 and ringside boxes at Bt2,000 are on sale at Thai Ticket Major. Call (02) 262 3456 or visit www.ThaiTicketMajor.com.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-03-21

Who need Disney land when you have disney on ice ... clap2.gif

I took one of my daughters to this in the states and I was blown away. It really is pretty cool. I just did it for my daughter who was around 9 or 10 yo at the time, but was really impressed and thoroughly enjoyed it when I don't normally go for this type of thing. I recommend it for anyone, especially if you have a Thai GF or kids who've never seen something like this live.

Edited by gohmer

Who need Disney land when you have disney on ice ... clap2.gif

I took one of my daughters to this in the states and I was blown away. It really is pretty cool. I just did it for my daughter who was around 9 or 10 yo at the time, but was really impressed and thoroughly enjoyed it when I don't normally go for this type of thing. I recommend it for anyone, especially if you have a Thai GF or kids who've never seen something like this live.

Yeh!....I took my son last year when he was six years old. I can tell you he really enjoyed every bit of it. Including the overpriced toys and trinkits they had outside in the lobby area. The over priced food. It's terrible to take your child there on empty pockets. Their whole goal is to get you to spend 3000plus baht per child. The one thing I did notice beside the place being half empty(Most likely due to prices) is that the price was the same for everyone expensive and overcharged. It was more like a robbery than an admission fee. Guess it doesn't matter, I have been talking about this issue for along time. These companies like Disney, MGM Records, Holly Wood, all scream about pirating CD's and VCD's. Yet they rob you when you try to buy legally. When they perform here they use staff from here to help them...do you think those guys get prevailing wages?....or even western base wages.......NO!

• Like 1

I too have the pleasure of attending this for the second year running, this time for the only English performance. Last year was pretty good (my yardstick was the contentment of a 4year old)

I also went to see the dinosaurs, cant remember the name of the show, but it was brilliant.

The only downside to these events is the fact that the local audience tends to come late, providing constant interruptions as they find and take their seats. Another irritation is the blatant disregard for the no flash signs once they get settled. But, anything worth doing is worth taking a picture of. or so some say.

All in all this is small beer when you realize why you are doing it in the first place. My daughter is so excited, she has talked about nothing else all week, and i much prefer activities like this than spending a day in a mall -- if the truth be told I would rather be wakeboarding, but that costs me 3k easy.

by the way, i believe the show is cheaper this year. As for the cost of merchandise, whatever. The stuff isn't cheap anywhere. here is no different. I seem to remember coming home with a 300+ magic baht wand last year that she still plays with today.

As for the food, the cost of bag o' popcorn and a coke is hardly prohibitive.

Edited by nocturn

As for the food, the cost of bag o' popcorn and a coke is hardly prohibitive.

But they don't sell bags of popcorn at the On Ice Show, only buckets for 400 Baht. Dunno the coke price.

But for real food there's a Thai food court at the back end of the theatre, down the left hand side of the building.