Advice For Those Getting Married In Thailand

theoracle

I did the 'Affirmation of Freedom to Marry' today at the British Embassy and went to the MFA at chaeng Wattana (Laksi same place?). I also had to retype my affirmation, forgot to put down my middle name (dumbass). The embassy was slow to be seen but once seen everything was done quickly (3250baht). I used a translation company who shouted the loudest outside, cost 200baht but they kept saying the MFA was closed after 12.00 and that I need someone to go to the amphur with me as I'm a foreigner, even though I can speak adequate thai. I'd read how to do everything on here and checked out the MFA's website so knew this wasn't true. The MFA was a real test of patience. Arrived at 13.00 so the express, 1 day, wasn't a real option. Took 1 hour to had over paperwork & money (400baht), not so bad, but 2 hours to receive my change and a receipt. I'm to pick up the paperwork Monday morning so couldn't understand the long delay for 100 baht and a receipt.

Can't wait to get legally married at the amphur on Monday to the love of my life (my first so rose tinted)

• Like 2

Seek help (information) from your embassy - do not give in to those very helpfull people waiting outside - remember that a translation is not realy a translation, just a form that was translated years ago - do not get overexited, after all, it is only paperwork, and get married cheaply.

By the way - you will not escape paying extortion money for your thai wife's paper of good behaviour - after all, this is the hub of corruption.

Yeah same place and the translation guys lied to me too, saying they needed to do the Minisrty bit for me but like you I knew otherwise. They are basically bare faced liers so you need to go in with some info under your belt otherwise your open to all sorts of over paying.

You say in your opening few lines that it was easy and not to use an agent but from reading your full post it seems like it was a bloody nightmare and would push me to actually using and agent smile.png

I used an agent and is alot better than what the OP went through.. They even came to my hotel picked up the paperwork.. I went home while they went to the MFA and sent the paperwork to my home address 2 days later... So easy and alot simpler than going to the MFA yourself..

The MFA was no worries, filled out a form and paid then told to come back 3 hours later. Depends how much an agent would charge you to do this simple task but for me it was not a nightmare and I have little patience. Dealing with the British embassy was the only bit I said was frustrating.

• 1 month later...

As for using a service....went through this process about 3 weeks ago, Canadian Embassy, got my affirmation letter ($50 CAD), guy in the office recommended a translator who charged 1,200 baht I handed them all the papers, signed on the line and they did the rest. They delivered the completed documents to my hotel the next evening as scheduled. Had two free days in Bangkok which for me is priceless.

I did mine in Chiang Mai Piece of cake. Consulate to sign the affirmation paper 20 Min: then next door to the translation shop for 1,600bt they do the translation take to the Thai ministry to stamp, The cost include's the Thai same day charge of 800bt. Consulate at 9am all sorted and paper's back by 2.30pm.

Two day's later to the local Amper, I had to sign a form twice then went to the market, on my return 1 hour the now wife was changing her ID and had paid the 30bt cost of wedding. How simple is that I wasn't even there.

Edited by fredob43

I have some clarificatory questions:

1. After I get my affirmation document from my Embassy, I know that I need this doc to be translated to Thai but where? Which office? (Address please).

Can I get the translation on the same day? How much for this same-day service?

2. After getting the translated docs, I should bring them to the Amphur for Marriage Registration.... should I make an appointment there (Amphur) first? Or just go there to submit the docs first, and then go back on the following day for the Marriage certificate? Isn't there any ceremony that both groom and bride must be present? (Even a short one, I think there should at least be a judge or someone asking for our "I do's"

3. How much to pay the Amphur?

Thanks!

1. You get the translation from a translation office, not from the government. there are many near the embassies. They can translate in 30 minutes and cost is bewteen 300 and 400 baht at most places.

2. After you have the papers translated you need to go to the Thai Foreign office, Consular section at Cheang wattana Road to have it certified. (This is near the government building where also immirgation is located, it is not at that building itself. The translation office can take care of this part for you, express service is 800 and regular service 400 baht. Anything extra is the fee for the translation agency.

When you have it certified it is important that you make a copy of the documents and maybe a scan in your computer, as immigration might want to see these documents.

3. Now you can go to any amphur (khet in Bangkok) to get married. No need for an appointment. if you go to an amphur where there are a lot of foreigners located you should be out in 30 minutes, happily married.

There is no ceremony, just signing of papers and no "I' do".

Get the khor rhor 2 form from the amphur, together with the flowery wedding certificate. you will need that one for immigration, if you want to apply for an extension of stay based on your marriage.

I have some clarificatory questions:

1. After I get my affirmation document from my Embassy, I know that I need this doc to be translated to Thai but where? Which office? (Address please).

Can I get the translation on the same day? How much for this same-day service?

2. After getting the translated docs, I should bring them to the Amphur for Marriage Registration.... should I make an appointment there (Amphur) first? Or just go there to submit the docs first, and then go back on the following day for the Marriage certificate? Isn't there any ceremony that both groom and bride must be present? (Even a short one, I think there should at least be a judge or someone asking for our "I do's"

3. How much to pay the Amphur?

Thanks!

Cost 30bt for the wedding. I don't know if you know but you have to make up you own affirmation paper, if you look on you Embassy web page they will give you an example just rewrite it with your name and detail's. The wife tell's me there is a place in BKK that does wedding's that are more romantic but you cant get married there, look's like what you do is get married at the Amphur then go along and they say a few word's take a snap or two and at the end you get a rose each, and it only cost's about 2,000bt seems cheap to me, that's if you wan't to throw 2,000bt out of the window. N/B you might even get to say I do. Edited by fredob43

I did mine in Chiang Mai Piece of cake. Consulate to sign the affirmation paper 20 Min: then next door to the translation shop for 1,600bt they do the translation take to the Thai ministry to stamp, The cost include's the Thai same day charge of 800bt. Consulate at 9am all sorted and paper's back by 2.30pm.

Two day's later to the local Amper, I had to sign a form twice then went to the market, on my return 1 hour the now wife was changing her ID and had paid the 30bt cost of wedding. How simple is that I wasn't even there.

Mine too was a piece of cake as you say, very easy.

I did have to be there to sign the papers but there was not any cost

I am sure it may be slightly different for every countries Embassy though

Getting married is free in Thailand, including the marriage certificate.

What you do normally pay for, something like 20 to 50 baht, is for a copy of the entry into the wedding reister (khor rhor 2 form).

Get the khor rhor 2 form from the amphur, together with the flowery wedding certificate. you will need that one for immigration, if you want to apply for an extension of stay based on your marriage.

+1 +1

Note this from Mario --- I forgot --- it took 2 trips to the Amphur plus about 4 wasted hours in total.

• 3 weeks later...

what exactly is the affirmation letter ? i am an aussie so i need to go to the aussie embassy correct and ask for this affirmation document ? what do i need for that just my passport ? any other papers ? i was married and divorced in Oz before and have the papers for that ..... and for my GF what would she require for the the process in the way of ID papers etc ..the rest i seem to follow ..

cheers

The confirmation letter is a letter from your embassy, confirming that you are free to married (not already marreid, etc). Which documents you need for that letter depends on your embassy.

Normally your embassy website will have all the details what they require.

If your girlfriend is Thai, she doesn't need anything but her ID-card and household registrationbook when she goed to the amohur (and divorce certificate if she is divorced). If she is not Thai, she needs a likewis letter from her embassy that she is free to marry.

ok cheers mario , so the GF has never been married before her id card will show she is a Ms not Mrs , i did hear, perhaps it was incorrect that the Thai ladies had to show some sort of paper to prove they were single , does that sound correct ..?

Cheers

what exactly is the affirmation letter ? i am an aussie so i need to go to the aussie embassy correct and ask for this affirmation document ? what do i need for that just my passport ? any other papers ? i was married and divorced in Oz before and have the papers for that ..... and for my GF what would she require for the the process in the way of ID papers etc ..the rest i seem to follow ..

cheers

For us Australians there is a stat dec at the Australian Embassy. You just fill in the details then they stamp it. Make sure you have your girlfriend's ID number. I read where they required it .

cheers

For us Australians there is a stat dec at the Australian Embassy. You just fill in the details then they stamp it. Make sure you have your girlfriend's ID number. I read where they required it .

I forgot to say that if you have been married they need to see you divorce papers or a death certificate. For those never married you need to give 2 reeferees names and address who can be contacted if required.

• 2 months later...

Hi TheOracle.

When you brought your certificate of affirmation to marry to the MFA to be certified, did you have to bring your fiance there as well? Or can you go there alone? Do you need to fill in any forms? Are the forms written in English/Thai or just Thai?

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Couple of ?'s regarding affirmation of freedom

Where it says I am free to marry " thai national" do I insert the name of future wife here ???

Also I'm divorced twice first 17 years ago and the other recently here in Thailand , do I just provide the thai divorce cert ? Or. Both ?

All help appreciated

Thanks

I am now in the process. So far so good. Appt US embassy, affavit notaized, off to MFA yesterday. I waited until MFA to get translation as if it is bad, they must adjust fast and free. Paid b400 done one hour. Think he did a good job as he asked many questions and I worked w him pronouncing and clarifying. Could have been 300 but <deleted>. Used guy in magazine shop, big sign. Time will tell, return tomorrow. No need to waste my life and b200 w MFA waiting for 4 hours.

Very cute young woman sort of flirty @ window 3. Made me give pause. Not really...

I was only farang alone, all other mugs had thier future wife w them. Only one guy had a better looking fiance, but they were both 25 yrs my junior.

The usual suspects, I know now why it's so difficult to get setlement visa and why Thailand so hatd on marrieds. Most by my eye won't last but good luck.

On sample form petitioner sample name was Mrs Lady GaGa. I found it quite telling...

Canteen is clean and tasty. Speaking any Thai will get you big smiles.

Edited by bangkokburning

Apiwan good question, as I recsll teferred to nationality (I hope!). I had written Thai. I think this is correct, they took no personal info for fiance so...

Ehooi as stated I went alone.

FYI

Copy of MY pp only required

They kicked back...

Tabien Ban

Natl ID card

Passport (hers)

Once you go thru the process you will understand whats its all about. This affadavit is about you only. YOUR freedom to marry and its translation to local language (Thai). All the marriage bs that is at the amphur to sort.

Edited by bangkokburning

Apiwan good question, as I recsll teferred to nationality (I hope!). I had written Thai. I think this is correct, they took no personal info for fiance so...

Ehooi as stated I went alone.

FYI

Copy of MY pp only required

They kicked back...

Tabien Ban

Natl ID card

Passport (hers)

Once you go thru the process you will understand whats its all about. This affadavit is about you only. YOUR freedom to marry and its translation to local language (Thai). All the marriage bs that is at the amphur to sort.

Thanks for the reply

The bit I'm stuck on is

" I am free to marry "a thai national"

Should be right in case you change your mind and marry the girl at counter 555+

Soon know next week

Be lucky