Advice For Those Getting Married In Thailand

theoracle

It struck me as odd as well, but you have other nationalities also marrying here for a few reasons. Like thpat stupid get married underwater thing on Kradan every year, but lots of vouples now go for exotic " " theme weddings.

One thing for everyone reading this in mos or years to come

Be concise, simple perfect words easy to translate. Leave nothing to intrepretation.

Include your middle name

In June of 2008 I and my long term partner who like me is a farang arrived at the British Embassy at 0900 hrs to go through the proccess of getting married which is no different if marrying a Thai person. Once getting our affirmation to marry we then took it to be translated, then off to the Thai ministry for approval to be stamped bla bla bla and by 4.30 that afternoon we were legally married in the ampur office in Bangkok no agents were used no bribe money was paid no photographs were taken and no family were informed Why did we do it because the immigration said go get married then your partner does not have to have 800,000 in the bank for her extension to stay visa it did make sense after all we had been together for more than 14 years, and the immigration was very happy for us as it made his job that little bit easier !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK Here is some new info:

For the guy worried about what to fill in under nationality or whatever, it is Thai.

I brought her Tabien Ban and ID card (copies/orig), they did not take them at MFA. This is simply about YOUR freedom to marry.

US Affidavit I guess unlike GBR does not have any place for her name nor do you need her ID at the US embassy.

While you are there - get proper, quality copies THEY ARE B2!!! Do not let the young woman there rip you off!

NOTE: I can recommend the guy up at the MFA who did my translation for B400 (first price, no haggling) one hour. The paper was accepted. He is located in the magazine shop, next to 7. I have a difficult last name, my father has an odd first and middle name as well (for Thai). So he took the time and made it right. DO IT HERE! He will fix it free if it is bounced back. If you do it anywhere else you are SOL and given many reports the translations OFTEN are not competent.

• Like 1

OK Here is some new info:

For the guy worried about what to fill in under nationality or whatever, it is Thai.

I brought her Tabien Ban and ID card (copies/orig), they did not take them at MFA. This is simply about YOUR freedom to marry.

US Affidavit I guess unlike GBR does not have any place for her name nor do you need her ID at the US embassy.

While you are there - get proper, quality copies THEY ARE B2!!! Do not let the young woman there rip you off!

NOTE: I can recommend the guy up at the MFA who did my translation for B400 (first price, no haggling) one hour. The paper was accepted. He is located in the magazine shop, next to 7. I have a difficult last name, my father has an odd first and middle name as well (for Thai). So he took the time and made it right. DO IT HERE! He will fix it free if it is bounced back. If you do it anywhere else you are SOL and given many reports the translations OFTEN are not competent.

Thanks man , I think I got it all now

• 4 months later...

Your posts have been helpful and wanted to share the details of my experience. I'm American and marrying a Thai.

The steps:

1. Go to the American Enbassy (make an appointment online) to get your affidavit form (a form that the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs needs to simply confirm you are eligible to be married). I prefilled out the form from online to save time.

There are two lines, one for Thais and one for American citizens. The American citizen line is short, thank goodness. You need to go through their security, they take your phone from you. Walk through and walk down to the right to the American Citizen Services office (ACS). Once there go to window 3 to check in. Because I'm divorced, they gave me a second form to complete. It asked for my divorce date so if you're also divorced, you need that. Anyway, it costs $50 per form so it cost me $100!!! I had a 8am appointment. I was finished with everything in about 40 minutes (from entry to departure). Find the website to the embassy of the Unisted States via google and you'll find an excellent description of the steps and a link todownload the pdf affidavit. (I would have included a link but this site blocks links in posts.)

2. Then I found a translation office. I took BTS and got off at Phloen Chit and walked back to Wireless Road and turned left (walk out down the inside of a business building) to get to the street. If walking from BTS, the Embassy you want is on the left side of the street - about a 7 minute walk. There's also the main embassy complex on the other side of the street so don't go to that one. You'll walk through a very crowded little food market area on the way to the embassy. It was in this market area in the building on the 2nd floor where I found a translation office. There are a few. I went to Premier Translation. Also, on the way out of the embassy, a guy asked me if I wanted a translation, so don't worry, they'll find you! Anyway, I ended up paying 400 baht for each page and finally opted for the service where they take it to the ministry and get everything done for me. This cost 1300 b per page, but for me 2600 baht total. I go back to their office next week to pick the documents up. They'll mail them to you if you wish that option. The total cost for me was 5800 baht for my two pages. If your status is simply single and of you do the same thing I did then the cost will be half - 2900 baht. If you decide to go the ministry yourself, you'll save some money but I decided it was worth not having to trek across BKK and wait in ministry lines.

3. The next step for me is to go to a Amphur (similar to a courthouse I guess in the states) to get married. Make copies of all documents (also scan if you can do that as previously suggested above). Your Thai wife will need her ID and a "blue book" or other document proving her living status in Thailand.

I hope this was helpful. Good luck guys and congratulations.

ok cheers mario , so the GF has never been married before her id card will show she is a Ms not Mrs , i did hear, perhaps it was incorrect that the Thai ladies had to show some sort of paper to prove they were single , does that sound correct ..?

Cheers

Her ID card has no identification to tell she has married or not ..... that you can read.

Miss or Mrs (in Thai) is her choice after marriage, she can have either printed on her ID card.

The computer records linked to her ID card show her married status.

Your posts have been helpful and wanted to share the details of my experience. I'm American and marrying a Thai.

The steps:

1. Go to the American Enbassy (make an appointment online) to get your affidavit form (a form that the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs needs to simply confirm you are eligible to be married). I prefilled out the form from online to save time.

There are two lines, one for Thais and one for American citizens. The American citizen line is short, thank goodness. You need to go through their security, they take your phone from you. Walk through and walk down to the right to the American Citizen Services office (ACS). Once there go to window 3 to check in. Because I'm divorced, they gave me a second form to complete. It asked for my divorce date so if you're also divorced, you need that. Anyway, it costs $50 per form so it cost me $100!!! I had a 8am appointment. I was finished with everything in about 40 minutes (from entry to departure). Find the website to the embassy of the Unisted States via google and you'll find an excellent description of the steps and a link todownload the pdf affidavit. (I would have included a link but this site blocks links in posts.)

2. Then I found a translation office. I took BTS and got off at Phloen Chit and walked back to Wireless Road and turned left (walk out down the inside of a business building) to get to the street. If walking from BTS, the Embassy you want is on the left side of the street - about a 7 minute walk. There's also the main embassy complex on the other side of the street so don't go to that one. You'll walk through a very crowded little food market area on the way to the embassy. It was in this market area in the building on the 2nd floor where I found a translation office. There are a few. I went to Premier Translation. Also, on the way out of the embassy, a guy asked me if I wanted a translation, so don't worry, they'll find you! Anyway, I ended up paying 400 baht for each page and finally opted for the service where they take it to the ministry and get everything done for me. This cost 1300 b per page, but for me 2600 baht total. I go back to their office next week to pick the documents up. They'll mail them to you if you wish that option. The total cost for me was 5800 baht for my two pages. If your status is simply single and of you do the same thing I did then the cost will be half - 2900 baht. If you decide to go the ministry yourself, you'll save some money but I decided it was worth not having to trek across BKK and wait in ministry lines.

3. The next step for me is to go to a Amphur (similar to a courthouse I guess in the states) to get married. Make copies of all documents (also scan if you can do that as previously suggested above). Your Thai wife will need her ID and a "blue book" or other document proving her living status in Thailand.

By the way....the translation office asked me if I had my work permit or a copy. I didn't but it was okay (I hope). They wanted to write my name in Thai exactly as it's written on the work permit. So if you have that, you should bring a copy. I'll add more after I complete step 3 - officialliy tie the knot! Cheers.

By the way....the translation office asked me if I had my work permit or a copy. I didn't but it was okay (I hope). They wanted to write my name in Thai exactly as it's written on the work permit. So if you have that, you should bring a copy. I'll add more after I complete step 3 - officialliy tie the knot! Cheers.

You should alway keep consistent spelling of your name in Thai and English across all official documents.

Same for the Mrs and any kiddies. If they contradict anywhere it's a total nightmare to get corrected.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi I'm Sam a 23 year old English guy. About a year and a half ago I got persuaded to go Thailand by an old Thai lady I met in a Thai restaurant. It was meant to be a nice trip to see some sites and meet her family and get to learn about Thailand.

However once I arrived and I don't want to go into to much detail. I was forced into marriage with her daughter. In hindsight I probably could of avoided this but regardless of that it happened.

I'm now back in uk and have never seen or spoke with any of them since apart from when I contacted this woman on Skype to try and get a divorce

my now gf here in uk dosent know I'm married in Thailand also

I didn't sleep with the woman who is meant to be my wife and we never talk. My question is how can I know if I'm free to marry in uk ? I haven't got a divorced paper and don't really have hundreds of spare pounds for a lawyer.

I'm hoping that if I went to get married at a registry office in uk that the Thai marriage wouldent show up and I could just get married here.

The documents from the marriage I have but I think the amphur office if that's correct may have sent a translated copy to the Britain embassy but I'm not sure. I have translated documents in my room locked away.

How would I find out if I'm free to marry here without asking to much and shooting myself in the foot. Also if it turns out that for me to marry my gf here I need to first abtain a divorce or maybe annulment ? Forced into it although dont really have proof, haven't seen or spoke with her over 1 and a half years , no way to contact her now, blocked and delete. Skype account, don't know where she is or how to contact her and can't go to Thailand ???

Where can I turn and what choices do I have ? Any help is much appreciated and really needed badly thanks .

I smell something, is it dog? No cat, wait no its some form of cow, ah I know it now, it's bullshit wink.png

Well Sir, it must be said, a little bit of crap (khrap) goes a LONG way in Thailand.

Now since the OP has had the advice he needed now please lets get on the good stuff...when will you buy a nice house to settle down in ?

Some Thaivisa posters will tell you that cannot own, but never mind about that, try not to think too mutt...Thai dont like that thumbsup.gif

You say in your opening few lines that it was easy and not to use an agent but from reading your full post it seems like it was a bloody nightmare and would push me to actually using and agent :)

There are plenty of instances where I'd want help dealing with Thai bureaucracy and such but honestly getting married was no big deal at all.

You have 2 threds on this.

Advise was given is valid:

you are married and need to get a divorce before marrying again. The registar in the Uk probably will not know that you are married in Thailand, but getting married in the UK would be bigamy, a criminal offence in both Thailand and the UK and it would make your marriage in the UK invalid. You would have to consider that the rest of your married life.

zbest is to get a divorce in Thailand, if you really were married. if she agrees, the fee will be almost zero. Compared to the cost of going through the courts in the UK a ticket to Thailand will be a cheap investment.

• 3 weeks later...

The steps:

Done! Pretty easy although it took about 3 hours in total. Arrived at the Amphur (Bang Rak) and my girlfriend filled out a few papers, we had to go next door to make copies, come back and get a queue number. Sat for a few hours, they called our number, sat for another 40 minutes and finally get the certificates. Cost 40 baht but we bought the fancy certificate booklet for 450 baht. We arrived by 9 am and it was wise. We waited about 3 hours and we were 3rd in queue. When we left there were about 15 couples waiting so I assume they spent the entire day there. My advice....get there when they open at 8:30am. Cheer everyone.

cant see why all the drama mine was a doddle and she settled in England working, bank accounts etc without all these translations. Just her visa was important. I agree with opening part don't get an agent, only thing that's easier than marriage here is the divorce.

• 2 weeks later...

As a soon to be married in Thailand farang, this is my experience in getting the "affirmation"

Went to the Australian Embassy on South Sathorn road just after midday.

Filled in "affadvit" form with all the details and handed back to the lady behind the window, checked my passport (not thoroughly enough and I'll explain later why), stamped and signed document saying that I was legally allowed to get married, handed over B800 and it was done.

Now knowing that I had to get it translated into Thai and then head down to MFA for authorisation, I asked where to get it translated into Thai, she gave me the address of a travel agent who does translation services as well - interesting to note here that on the Australian Embassy website it says that they can't recommend an agent to do this but anyway off we went.

The travel agent is no less than 100m up South Sathorn - think it's in the Thai Wa building, not entirely sure. Anyway we went inside and informed them of what we needed to do, handed over B1500 for it to be processed sans having to be stuck at MFA waiting for my number to be called - more importantly, wasting my time.

The problem arose when I accidently wrote a 2 instead of a 5 for my passport number, it wasn't until we were half way home when the agent called and said we had to go back to the Embassy and redo the affadavit. Fortunately the girl who had not paid attention to what I wrote the first time around was still there so I did it all over again. The agent was waiting for me outside the Embassy to collect the new affadavit.

2 days later received the approval from MFA.

As we have asked for the marriage registration process to be done at our hotel prior to the reception, we visited the local Amphur (Phatum Wan district) - do note this place is a bitch to park and we drove around (painfully slow) for an hour to find a park.

After arriving at the district office and chatting away to the clerk, my fiance fills out a form that asks what she would like to be called after the wedding (Mrs, Ms, Miss and the name) we're also asked to pay for the marriage certificate (B200) now what gets me going is the clerk then asks for in total B600, she claims this was for the book that the certificate is displayed in.

I give her B1000 (as thats all the notes I had on me) the clerk then puts the note in her top pocket and proceeds to give me change and issues a receipt for B200. I had a wee chuckle to myself and my fiance is hitting my knee giving me the sign that she's been asked for a bribe.

The clerk then starts rambling on about how it's a weekend and that they have to come out to the wedding and that we need to prepare an envelope for them as it's a hassle and that because it is a senior officer who will be registering the marriage. Again I had a wee chuckle at this. She went on to say that usually no one does this because they don't respect them (district office staff)

My ever so polite fiance, nods and smiles replying with "ka, oh mai bpen rai ka"

After having all that's done and agreed to, we leave - no more than 15mins.

Outside having a breath of fresh air, my fiance proclaims "see, you wonder why nobody respects government employees in Thailand!" She then continued to explain the farce that just took place - but she was also relieved to have it done.

Haven't really decided yet if we'll give them the tea money as requested, still have another week and a half to decide.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So as an update to my earlier post..

We ended up giving the - devil - I mean senior district officer an unspecified amount (not outrageous in terms of baht, just outrageous in terms of having to do it and not to mention the ungratefulness of said district officer)

Anyway it's done now, I'm legally married, couldn't be happier :P And everyone we've spoken to loved the wedding..

Whether giving us face or not I don't really give a shit, I had a kick arse time at my own reception and after party - and I was the last one standing! Hahaha

• 5 weeks later...

Married no worries at the amphur and we are told we need to go back to laksi and get a translation of the Thai marriage docs certified again to make it useable in England which I had not read anywhere so was suspicious and wanted to look into it further.

There is no need to get a translation done in BKK as apparantly the Thai embassy will do all of that as part of the certification.

I was just told the same by the amphur but it appears the legalization is not required for uk settlement visa purposes. Did you not use a translated marriage certificate with your wife's visa application though?

Another poster has said the legalization of marriage certificate at MFA may have been required for Schengen visa applications though. Anyone know about that?

Edited by TCA

Hi All,

Firstly apologies I have not read previous posts

I am Australian and will be married to a Thai National in November what I am trying to sort out is the process exactly step by step with addresses phone numbers, cost & best translation service etc. right up to and including lodging the visa application as I would like all to be completed before heading back to Australia.

Both us us have never been married, have children etc. so all should be relatively easy

I am doing this as I do not like wasting time or to be at fault for getting it wrong.

I am also in the process of getting my Passport and Birth Certificate Translated into Thai in Australia before I leave as I can use a JP to verify.

ONE

What I do know is that my 1st stop will be the Australian Embassy to complete a Statutory Declaration stating I am single and able to Marry

37 South Sathorn Rd, Bangkok 10120

Operating Hours: 08:30 am – 4:00 pm

Monday to Friday, excluding public holidays

No appointment is necessary.

Telephone: +66 2 344 6300

Email: [email protected]

TWO

Find a translator to place document into Thai do not mind cost after reasonable quick and reliable would like to know who to use!!

Three

All my documents need to be taken to Legalisation Division, Department of Consular Affairs to be authenticated by Thai authorities this takes 2 working days and a fee is payable

3rd Floor, 123 Moo 3, Changwattana Road

Kwang Toong Son Hong, Khet Laksi

Bangkok

Telephone +66 2 575 1056-9

Four

Get married have some fun :)

Five

Register Marriage at a District Office (Amphur) to formally register your marriage.

As I am planning to get married in Buriram does anyone know if I can do there as parents want to come along also and we are also hoping to do on the same day we are married between the morning and evening ceremonies.

Locating the office here is ok I have been past it before

SIX

Now the fun begins as this is where I become a little lost

I have to go back to Bangkok 5.5 hours by bus and have document from Amphur translated into English then notarised before lodging at the Australian Embassy

Then the visa application can be lodged

I am looking for the days and times someone is there to speak to as they will not pick up the phone and I would like the application checked before submitting.

Filling it in is not problem and mostly already complete with my ladies documents already translated etc.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards

David

You do not need a Birth Certificate translated into Thai, unless your embassy specifically wants to see the BC and have it translated into Thai.

1. The way to go.

2. Lots of translation agencies near the embassy and also near the Department of consular affairs. Translation should be between 300 ad 400 baht. Most will offer to take care of step 3 for you.

3. Do it yourself or have the translation agency do it for you. Cost is 400 baht for regular service and for an extra 60 baht they will send the documents to your address by EMS. Only takes a few days to get. Same day service and 800 baht. If you have the translation agency do it for you the more price will be their fee.

4. No, step 5 is where you get married, by registering the marriage at the amphur. You might mean to have a ceremony, but that is just a ceremony out of tradition, it is not a marriage in the eyes of the law.

For the visa for you to be wife, you can better ask here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/25-visas-and-migration-to-other-countries/

3. Do it yourself or have the translation agency do it for you. Cost is 400 baht for regular service and for an extra 60 baht they will send the documents to your address by EMS. Only takes a few days to get. Same day service and 800 baht. If you have the translation agency do it for you the more price will be their fee.

The translator cannot go to MFA on your behalf for the same day express service. You have to go in person. At least that's what my translator told me on Tuesday. He said it has changed. Express service requires you to see a supervisor, so likely true enough.

And make sure you go to the right building on the main road. Our taxi driver (despite being told the correct address and my girlfriend telling me he knew where he was going) took us to the large building at the back (where normal immigration is) and we spent an hour on a wild goose chase following bad directions from staff who didn't know either.

Having never seen or used an affirmation , please excuse my ignorance but is there a template or where do I begin drawing one up ? I haven't got a clue what one looks like and where to start ? all help appreciated

The affirmation letter depends on your embassy. Simply look on your embassies website, most have the form on there that you can download and fill in, together with details of the information you need to provide your embassy for issuing the letter.

David,

1. Correct - will cost you B800 for the stat dec

2. The translation service I used is in the Thai Wah building which is just down the road from the Embassy - next to the Malaysian Embassy / Banyan Tree Hotel entrance. They charge B1500 for the translation into Thai and will take everything to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to have it approved - this process took about 2 maybe 3 days. Well worth the money if you've never been to Chaengwattana area before. I can't remember the name of the place, but it's on the 3rd floor - turn left when you get out of the lift.

3. If you use the above, you can skip this step and save yourself A LOT of time.

4. As Mario said this is the step where you get legally 'married' at the Amphur (District Office) - you can probably do this in Buriram the day before the ceremony or depending where you're having your reception you can ask them to come to you - it will cost you some tea money to do this. Check with your venue, they should have the information you need.

5. Have your big day.

6. I'm personally not sure as I'm now living in BKK.

Also, no need to have your stuff notorised in Australia, as I mentioned in Point 3, as part of the B1500 fee they will do all the leg work for you this includes copying your passport but there's no need to have it translated into Thai - it's only the stat dec that's required to be translated.