Advice For Those Getting Married In Thailand

theoracle

what exactly is the affirmation letter ? i am an aussie so i need to go to the aussie embassy correct and ask for this affirmation document ? what do i need for that just my passport ? any other papers ? i was married and divorced in Oz before and have the papers for that ..... and for my GF what would she require for the the process in the way of ID papers etc ..the rest i seem to follow ..

cheers

For us Australians there is a stat dec at the Australian Embassy. You just fill in the details then they stamp it. Make sure you have your girlfriend's ID number. I read where they required it .

I forgot to say that if you have been married they need to see you divorce papers or a death certificate. For those never married you need to give 2 reeferees names and address who can be contacted if required.

Just as an aside, the details of this vary by one's country of nationality.

For U.S. folks who have never previously been married, there is just a single page affirmation of freedom to marry that you download from the U.S.Consulate website and then have stamped at the Consulate, currently for a $50 fee.

For U.S. folks who have previously been divorced or had a prior spouse die, there's a second page affidavit dealing with the divorce/death. That also has to be stamped by the Consulate, for a second $50 fee.

Thus for a never before married person, there will be a single affidavit page to have translated and a single page to have certified by the MFA. Translations usually run 400-500 baht per page, and I believe the MFA fee is 400 baht per page.

For a previously divorced person, then, you can double the translation fee and the MFA certification fee because in each case, there will be two pages involved.

For U.S. folks, the first page -- affirmation of freedom to marry affidavit -- asks for the names and addresses of two references in the U.S.

Both of the two affidavits ask for the U.S. person's residence address. And I was told in no uncertain terms at the Bang Rak Amphur office that my form had to list a U.S. address -- even though I've lived in Thailand for years. If I filled out my Thai address, they said they'd reject my application.

In which case, I'm afraid, I'd have to go back and have my affidavits redone -- presumably for another $100 -- and then have those redone affidavits translated and certified by the MFA, presumably paying their fees again.

In all the posts here on this subject, I haven't seen any U.S. folks mention the issue about both forms needing to show a U.S. residence address -- even for someone who's only living in Thailand.

I spent a long time at Bang Rak Amphur recently discussing that issue with the marriage clerk there, and the woman was insistent that a U.S., not Thai, residence address has to be shown on the affidavits.

Yes...it is very easy and do not need to use any costly help...but...be careful.

if you are divorced is better to have your divorce documentation, translated in Thai, to show at the Amphur. If you do not have it, or do not want to show it, the better advise is not to write divorced on the Embassy affidavit, write single...to avoid any problems or delays at the Amphur. The US Embassy site say it is need it, and I had all my divorce documentation and translation ready. A local "advisers" I asked before said that was not necessary to have it. Guess what? The Amphur asked for my divorce documentation...

Because the first step after the Embassy affidavit is the Foreign Ministry Certification, and the Amphur is the last step...... If the Amphur rejects the application because the divorce papers are need it, will be necessary to do all over again....

Yes, the U.S. Consulate website talks about, and their staff give advice, about Americans who have previously been divorced potentially needing to provide translated copies of their U.S. divorce papers (court judgment) at Thai amphur offices when registering marriage here.

The Consulate doesn't want to see those or require the U.S. court papers in order for the Consulate to issue the freedom to marry affidavit and the companion "divorce" affidavit.

But apparently some Amphurs do want to see Thai translations of one's actual U.S. court papers. However, in checking with the Bangrak Amphur office, which is one of the more popular ones in Bangkok for Thai-farang marriages, they only want to see the Consulate affidavits -- not Thai translations of divorce decree papers from the U.S.

Here's the language on the U.S. Consulate website:

If either you or your fiance have been previously married the Amphur will want to see proof that prior marriages have been terminated. Divorce or death certificates should suffice. These documents, if available, should be translated into Thai prior to presentation at the Amphur.

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/service/marriage.html

That notion -- of the Amphurs requiring translated versions of U.S. divorce decrees -- may be the case at some Amphur offices. But it's clearly not the case at all of them. Pays to check in advance with whatever Amphur office you're planning to use.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

• 1 month later...

I am British, I married a Thai lady in January.

Can someone please clarify what I must do to register this back in the UK, as I understand the sooner the better and it we wish to move to the UK it will make getting the settlement visa easier.

Am I also correct in believing the settlement visa would allow my wife to get a NI number and work in the UK, and subsequently be entitled to health benefits, state pension etc.

Thanks in anticipation

I am British, I married a Thai lady in January.

Can someone please clarify what I must do to register this back in the UK, as I understand the sooner the better and it we wish to move to the UK it will make getting the settlement visa easier.

Am I also correct in believing the settlement visa would allow my wife to get a NI number and work in the UK, and subsequently be entitled to health benefits, state pension etc.

Thanks in anticipation

• 3 months later...

Just a bit of a trip report here:

The beloved and I just returned from our trip today to the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs on Chaengwattana Rd, located just a bit further down CW road from where you turn off to go to the Immigration Department. The mission was to get the required MFA certifications of my "Freedom to Marry" and "Prior Divorce" affidavits previously obtained from the U.S. Consulate in BKK. All in all, on a Thursday morning, it wasn't particularly busy at MFA at all, and no sign of dis-order after only having reopened recently after the long protests-related closure.

We started out our trip from the Mochit BTS Station about 7:45 am and were hoping to take the BMTA #52 bus that goes from there to along CW Road. But after waiting about 15 minutes and not having any #52 bus arrive, we switched to a meter taxi and made the trip out to CW Rd and the MFA Building for a fare of about 90 baht.

With the two Consulate affidavits in hand, we arrived just before 8:30 am and went right inside. The first step was to get Thai translations of the two English-language affidavits. Some other past posts here had talked about a magazine shop inside the MFA Building having a one-hour translation service that got good reviews. But on our visit today, I could find no such shop anywhere around. But, up on the second floor, just off the escalator, there are a series of booths facing you and one of those is labeled "Document Translation Center".

post-58284-0-57947800-1402571632_thumb.j

There at that counter, an English-speaking Thai woman confirmed that they would translate our affidavits on an "express" one-hour basis for 400 baht per page, which she in fact did and within the promised time. I checked what I had heard, and she also confirmed that if the MFA staff upstairs on the third floor found any problem with the translations, the lady would redo the translations in correct form for no extra charge. As it turned out, our translations were fine, so we didn't need to go that route. But that was one of the reasons I chose to use the on-site translation service, instead of using some translation service around the various consulates area in the center of town.

So now by about 9:30 am, with affidavits and translations in hand, we went up the stairs one more floor up to the third floor where the MFA Legalization office is located, and presented our document package to the first counter just in front of the stairs in order to obtain a queue number ticket, after the staff there quickly looked through our paperwork. The document package consisted of:

--a one-page MFA Application for Legalization form filled in with my name, passport #, Thai address, mobile phone #

--the two original single-page Consulate affidavits (freedom to marry and prior marriage/divorce)

--the two single-page Thai translations of those

--a single copy of my passport facepage

I should add: MFA has two options for returning their certifications: one is the regular service to drop them off and pick them up or have them EMS mailed 3 working days later. But we wanted to use MFA's express service, whereby for a higher fee (400 baht per page) they'll have the affidavit translations certified and ready the same day -- provided you bring them in before noon time.

After getting the queue ticket, we waited another 15 minutes or so before being called into a side room to meet with a woman at a desk, who once again checked through our papers with a bit more detail, signed something on one of them, and then sent us out into the big room to wait once more. After maybe 5 minutes more, we were called to the main front counter via the same queue number to drop off our documents, pay the fee, get a receipt, and were told to come back to pick them up in about 3 hours.

post-58284-0-01914900-1402573562_thumb.j

So, we went back downstairs to the first floor to grab a snack in the cafeteria and wait, before finally returning up to the third floor. As it turned out, it's good we came back early, because they ended up calling my name over the loudspeaker after about 1-1/2 hours from our original drop-off time to pick up the certified affidavits -- not the 3 hours they had originally estimated. We were called to a different set of windows to the left side of the room to present our receipt and collect our certified documents. By that point it was about 11:30 am, or about 3 hours from the time we had arrived.

The only surprise for me was I had been expecting to pay the MFA 400 baht per page for certifying the two single-page Thai translations, for a total of 800 baht. But the MFA staff instead charged us 1600 baht, or 400 baht X 4 pages (being the two original English affidavits and the two Thai translations). I asked the MFA staff about that, and they confirmed that they charge separately for each page, including both the Thai and the English versions.

So, with our business finished, we walked back out to the main road, walked back down CW Road past the Soi 7 turnoff to Immigration, and went over the overhead pedestrian bridge to the opposite side of CW Road where there's a bus kiosk to catch the #52 bus heading back toward Mochit BTS. Hard to complain for an 8 baht per person fare, but we got an old pink bus with no air con and no shock absorbers for the trip back. But at least, our business was done.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

OK Here is some new info:

For the guy worried about what to fill in under nationality or whatever, it is Thai.

I brought her Tabien Ban and ID card (copies/orig), they did not take them at MFA. This is simply about YOUR freedom to marry.

US Affidavit I guess unlike GBR does not have any place for her name nor do you need her ID at the US embassy.

While you are there - get proper, quality copies THEY ARE B2!!! Do not let the young woman there rip you off!

NOTE: I can recommend the guy up at the MFA who did my translation for B400 (first price, no haggling) one hour. The paper was accepted. He is located in the magazine shop, next to 7. I have a difficult last name, my father has an odd first and middle name as well (for Thai). So he took the time and made it right. DO IT HERE! He will fix it free if it is bounced back. If you do it anywhere else you are SOL and given many reports the translations OFTEN are not competent.

By the way, a couple of added details.

1. I brought along my passport book expecting someone would demand to see/use it. But I went through the entire process of translation and certification and no one asked for my actual passport. The only thing required was a single photocopy of my passport facebook page, which I had brought along myself.

2. Nowhere in the translation and certification process at MFA was any info or documents required about my beloved -- not her name, ID card, tabien ban, etc etc. That all comes later when you to go the Amphur office to actually register the marriage. But, I did bring her along, and she was a great help in speaking with the Thai staff there and relieving me of the need to do so, for the most part. PS-As Bangkok Burning mentions, the U.S. affidavits at least also have no place to fill-in the name of one's betrothed, just her nationality only.

3. I'd never been to MFA before today, so I don't know how it was layed out before. But as I mentioned above, on today's visit, I found no 7/11 shop there and no magazine stand/shop on the ground floor handling translations. There is now a Family Mart on the ground floor just inside the front entry doors, but nothing about translations going on there that I could see. As I mentioned above, however, there clearly is a translations counter now located on the 2nd floor just as you step off the upward escalator.

OK Here is some new info:

For the guy worried about what to fill in under nationality or whatever, it is Thai.

I brought her Tabien Ban and ID card (copies/orig), they did not take them at MFA. This is simply about YOUR freedom to marry.

US Affidavit I guess unlike GBR does not have any place for her name nor do you need her ID at the US embassy.

While you are there - get proper, quality copies THEY ARE B2!!! Do not let the young woman there rip you off!

NOTE: I can recommend the guy up at the MFA who did my translation for B400 (first price, no haggling) one hour. The paper was accepted. He is located in the magazine shop, next to 7. I have a difficult last name, my father has an odd first and middle name as well (for Thai). So he took the time and made it right. DO IT HERE! He will fix it free if it is bounced back. If you do it anywhere else you are SOL and given many reports the translations OFTEN are not competent.

By the way, a couple of added details.

1. I brought along my passport book expecting someone would demand to see/use it. But I went through the entire process of translation and certification and no one asked for my actual passport. The only thing required was a single photocopy of my passport facebook page, which I had brought along myself.

2. Nowhere in the translation and certification process at MFA was any info or documents required about my beloved -- not her name, ID card, tabien ban, etc etc. That all comes later when you to go the Amphur office to actually register the marriage. But, I did bring her along, and she was a great help in speaking with the Thai staff there and relieving me of the need to do so, for the most part. PS-As Bangkok Burning mentions, the U.S. affidavits at least also have no place to fill-in the name of one's betrothed, just her nationality only.

3. I'd never been to MFA before today, so I don't know how it was layed out before. But as I mentioned above, on today's visit, I found no 7/11 shop there and no magazine stand/shop on the ground floor handling translations. There is now a Family Mart on the ground floor just inside the front entry doors, but nothing about translations going on there that I could see. As I mentioned above, however, there clearly is a translations counter now located on the 2nd floor just as you step off the upward escalator.

what did you have for diner

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wife and I registered our marriage the other day at Bangrak Amphur office in BKK... Seems the easiest way to get to that office on Nares Road is to take the BTS Silom line to Saphan Taksin station, and then about a 40-50 baht taxi trip to the Amphur that took about 10 minutes at rush-hour.

Process at the amphur went smoothly. We arrived at their opening time of 8 am, were third in queue for marriage registration, and were done by about 9:30 am. Thai staff there were friendly and helpful, so it was a relatively pleasant, hassle-free experience.

Having inquired of the staff there in advance through my wife, we came prepared with two photocopies of almost everything they required, as requested: my passport photo page and latest visa/re-entry stamps, her Thai ID card, and her tabien ban page. They also wanted to see/use the originals of my passport and her Thai ID card and tabien ban, so be sure to bring those along in addition to the photocopies.

I didn't realize, they'd also want an extra second copy of my Consulate-issued "free to marry" and "past divorce" affidavits and their MFA-certified Thai translations. So my wife had to buy an extra second set of copies of those from a photocopy shop just a bit down the street from the Amphur office near a 7/11 market.

After arriving with all our documents, my wife still had to fill out another longish form entirely in Thai that was given to her by the Amphur staff that seemed to repeat pretty much all the other details and official info we had already presented to them in various forms. It turns out that form, roughly translated as Request to Register Marriage, is listed as their Kor Ror 1 document. Some of the other questions included how many times I'd visited Thailand before moving here, and how long my wife and I have known each other. Actually, most of the time we spent at the Amphur was spent with my wife hand-writing the information on the Kor Ror 1 form.

Unlike some other Amphur offices in BKK, no hassle about bringing along a third-party translator. And Bangrak also didn't require two/any witnesses, although, the staff at the front counter suggested and agreed to be our witnesses in exchange for us making a 60 baht envelope donation to an upcountry temple. The fee for registering the marriage itself was 40 baht.

For that price, we received two-single page, color printed Kor Ror 3 marriage certificate documents, and one copy of the Kor Ror 2 marriage registration document. My wife then took that out to the nearby copy shop, returned with several copies, which the marriage supervisor behind the front counter then proceeded to stamp and make official, so we ended up walking away with 4 stamped sets of the Kor Ror 2 document.

The blank Kor Ror 2 document looks something like this:

post-58284-0-64470700-1403352420_thumb.j

The blank Kor Ror 3 document, although the originals are in color print, looks something like this:

post-58284-0-26467200-1403352434_thumb.j

After finishing all that, they even have little alcove in the front lobby with a kind of 3-wheel bicycle with a bench for sitting and the wall behind it decorated in a kind of marriage motif, suitable for some on-the-fly marriage photos for the selfie-inclined.

• 2 weeks later...

Am married now - but that was in Hong Kong.

Now the "Free to Marry Certificate" is a royal PITA as it would cost me a 6-digit amount in my home country and take about a year to get.

Is there a way to have a Chinese marriage certificate apostilled?

We got photos of the ceremony, involving us signing the license...

Once upon a time, a Prince asked a beautiful Princess, “Will you marry me?”

The Princess said, “No!!!”

And the Prince lived happily ever after and rode motorcycles and banged skinny long-legged big-titted broads and hunted and fished and raced cars and went to naked bars and dated women half his age and drank whiskey, beer and Captain Morgan and never heard bitching and never paid child support or alimony and banged cheerleaders and kept his house and guns and ate spam and potato chips and beans and blew enormous farts and never got cheated on while he was at work and all his friends and family thought he was frickin cool as hell and he had tons of money in the bank and left the toilet seat up.

The End

Now the "Free to Marry Certificate" is a royal PITA as it would cost me a 6-digit amount in my home country and take about a year to get.

I don't quite understand what you're asking.

You're talking about getting a "free to marry" certificate, but you say you're already married from Hong Kong.

It sounds like you just need to get Thailand to recognize your Hong Kong marriage, which probably involves getting the Hong Kong marriage documents translated into Thai and then having them certified by the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and then taking those to an Amphur Office.

• 2 weeks later...

When at the Amphur, I assume they keep the original paperwork from the MFA or do you just hand them copies?

How many copies do I need to take of my passport and her ID card and blue book?

Thanks.

Depends on your amphur but my amphur made the copies they required from the docs submitted. As for your Affirmation to Mary, MFA certified and your original from your embassy YOU make extra copies of these for your files you may need them. The amphur keeps the original on file.

When at the Amphur, I assume they keep the original paperwork from the MFA or do you just hand them copies?

Thanks.

Depends on your amphur but my amphur made the copies they required from the docs submitted. As for your Affirmation to Mary, MFA certified and your original from your embassy YOU make extra copies of these for your files you may need them. The amphur keeps the original on file.

Ok great, thanks. I'll just take original docs then and leave it up to them want they want to copy. And yes, I was planning to kep copies of the affirmation for myself..

Thanks.

At Bangrak amphur in BKK, they want two sets of everything that they keep -- including the originals of your marriage afffidavits and a copy set. The marriage registration process goes more quickly if you come prepared with the copies they'll request.

I had two sets of everything else (my passport face page, wife's Thai ID and tabien ban), but didn't realize they'd also want a second set of the marriage affidavits and their Thai translations.

• Like 1

1. You get the translation from a translation office, not from the government. there are many near the embassies. They can translate in 30 minutes and cost is bewteen 300 and 400 baht at most places.

2. After you have the papers translated you need to go to the Thai Foreign office, Consular section at Cheang wattana Road to have it certified. (This is near the government building where also immirgation is located, it is not at that building itself. The translation office can take care of this part for you, express service is 800 and regular service 400 baht. Anything extra is the fee for the translation agency.

When you have it certified it is important that you make a copy of the documents and maybe a scan in your computer, as immigration might want to see these documents.

3. Now you can go to any amphur (khet in Bangkok) to get married. No need for an appointment. if you go to an amphur where there are a lot of foreigners located you should be out in 30 minutes, happily married.

There is no ceremony, just signing of papers and no "I' do".

Get the khor rhor 2 form from the amphur, together with the flowery wedding certificate. you will need that one for immigration, if you want to apply for an extension of stay based on your marriage.

Is this how it still works gents?

I am going to get married ASAP (i have been with the woman 8 years) so i can get a marriage visa. I Take it when i get married in Thailand officially, i can then get the marriage visa when we visit the UK a few days later?

As a Brit, can I do the whole process in Chiang Mai? I live in Chiang Rai, so this would be more preferable than a trip to BKK. There's a British consulate there, so that part's no trouble, but what about the MFA part?

As a Brit, can I do the whole process in Chiang Mai? I live in Chiang Rai, so this would be more preferable than a trip to BKK. There's a British consulate there, so that part's no trouble, but what about the MFA part?

The MFA has an office at CNX City Hall for this purpose. You will still need the translation to Thai which also can be done in CNX.

The MFA has an office at CNX City Hall for this purpose. You will still need the translation to Thai which also can be done in CNX.

Brilliant, thanks for the info.

• 4 months later...

I don't quite understand what you're asking.

You're talking about getting a "free to marry" certificate, but you say you're already married from Hong Kong.

It sounds like you just need to get Thailand to recognize your Hong Kong marriage, which probably involves getting the Hong Kong marriage documents translated into Thai and then having them certified by the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and then taking those to an Amphur Office.

Yeah, good luck with that - "getting the Hong Kong marriage documents translated into Thai and then having them certified by the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs". You cannot do it.

I also married in HKG. have tried that 3 times at MFA with different docs, most recently using a copy of the original paper certified by no less than HKG government registry office and then notarised. MFA still says I have to "go to the Hong Kong embassy in Thailand". There IS no such thing (and I can assure the idiots in Chaengwattana the PRC embassy does NOT concern itself with consular affairs of the HK SAR (regardless of what the MFA might claim - but what do they know?). The Thai consulate in HKG was just pigheadedly and determinedly obstructive and after a lot of to-ing and fro-ing decided they would not help because I don't have an HK i/d.They are a disgrace; stupid timewasters.

I'm getting married in late January, so I went to suss out the MFA at Chaeng Wattana last month, just to see where it is and get a feeling for what's what. It looked horrendous - there were 3 windows where you had to queue to get a queue ticket! Then you had to wait to do the business - a friend said he was there for EIGHT hours! He got there at 8 am and left at 4 pm ...

However, while I was there, a woman asked me if I was getting married, but I said not for a few months. She was a translator, obviously touting for business, and had good spoken English. She said she could do the translation for 400 baht and would wait in the queue for me for an extra 300 baht - so the 1,200 baht I saw above seems to be pretty high. She probably knows all the staff there and drops them a few baht to be pushed up the line.

I could either pay the 400 baht for same day or the normal fee and it would take 2 days. I called her the other day to check she was still OK to do everything but she said it was too early to get the affirmation done at the UK Embassy - apparently it's only valid for a month so she told me to come about 2 weeks before the marriage, mid-January.

As I don't want to get married at Silom (tacky crowded wedding-mill with plastic flowers wound round a plastic arch with a sign which says 'Love at Bang Rak'), I'll do it a mile away from my home, at Nonthaburi City Hall where there's a nice park for photos later and a great restaurant for a meal later.

However, they don't speak any English there (but I have reasonable Thai) so this woman said she could also do the translation at the Amphur if necessary, but as there will be a couple of Thais with excellent English at the ceremony, that should be OK.

700 baht seems a steal for someone else to take care of all the hassle, and her home is just down the road from the MFA too.

Edited by Mister Fixit

Thanks.

At Bangrak amphur in BKK, they want two sets of everything that they keep -- including the originals of your marriage afffidavits and a copy set. The marriage registration process goes more quickly if you come prepared with the copies they'll request.

I had two sets of everything else (my passport face page, wife's Thai ID and tabien ban), but didn't realize they'd also want a second set of the marriage affidavits and their Thai translations.

Very useful to know - thanks for that. thumbsup.gif

• 1 month later...

Congratulations on your marriage and I wish you all health, wealth and happiness.

Forgive me however, from dodging any marriage proposals in the future. Once was enough.

In fact, once was more than enough. violin.gif

Are you saying what comes after the ceremony is whats important.............hohoho!

• 2 weeks later...

I have some clarificatory questions:

1. After I get my affirmation document from my Embassy, I know that I need this doc to be translated to Thai but where? Which office? (Address please).

Can I get the translation on the same day? How much for this same-day service?

2. After getting the translated docs, I should bring them to the Amphur for Marriage Registration.... should I make an appointment there (Amphur) first? Or just go there to submit the docs first, and then go back on the following day for the Marriage certificate? Isn't there any ceremony that both groom and bride must be present? (Even a short one, I think there should at least be a judge or someone asking for our "I do's"

3. How much to pay the Amphur?

Thanks!

If one gets married to thai lady at Amphur does it have to be registered in UK to be legal... I read on internet it has to be registered in UK also?!

Hi im from belgian and will be making the wedding official with thai lady.
From the belgian embassy website, to get my'' affidavit for marriage'', (http://countries.diplomatie.belgium.be/en/thailand/consular_services/marriage_in_thailand/), i need to show monthly income

• Please note that the local authority asks proof of your monthly income. Therefore you have to provide this information to this Embassy

They also ask to show monthly income, is a book bank of my kasikorn bank enough and does it matter how much money is in it ?

I also read people posting about form affirmation freedom to marry that they downloaded from their embassy, but there is no such form from belgium embassy, so isnt this needed then for me ?

• 2 weeks later...