Foreigner Assaulted At Bangkok BTS Station By Security Guard - Police Launch Investigation

webfact

Police Launches Investigation into Foreigner Assault on BTS Case

BANGKOK: -- The Bangkok police is planning to question all parties involved in a video clip posted on Youtube showing a foreigner assaulted by BTS security guards.

Superintendent of the Thonglor Police Station, Police Colonel Rattasak Raksalam has reported that all parties involved in the video clip recently posted on Youtube showing a foreigner assaulted by BTS security guards at the Prompong Station will be summoned for questioning.

Rattasak said both sides have already filed a complaint with the police.

The investigation team will also try to track down the person who posted the clip to serve as a key witness.

Rattasak noted that the incident was likely caused by miscommunication.

President of the Bangkok Mass Transit System or BTS Arnat Arpapirom indicated that from an initial investigation, the foreigner was trying to board a train with his daughter's balloons which is against the BTS's security protocol.

BTS officials told the foreigner he had to abandon the balloons if he wants to go on the train but he refused, saying that he was let on the BTS with the balloons earlier in the day.

Arnat claimed the foreigner then started to get aggressive, kicking at trash cans, resulting in security guards being called in to subdue him.

The video clip showed the foreigner and BTS officials having a heated argument at the front of the ticket collection machine before he was clubbed in the head by the guards' baton.

The man is then seen going through the ticket collection machine, clutching some balloons in his hand and with blood dripping on his face.

The police will have to determine whether a crime has been committed as both sides have lodged a complaint.

The BTS will also launch a disciplinary inquiry on its employees.

In any case, the company is planning to compensate the victim, which will be unrelated to the police's investigation.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2012-03-22

footer_n.gif

for a previous topic in General forum:

Does Anyone Know

http://www.thaivisa....es-anyone-know/

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Its not very clear on the video what happen actually ... I will say ..those security guard act like if they were policeman (come on they are only "guard" LOL) and maybe the foreigner was disturb by the heat and the baloons of the kid. Miscommunication for sure as those guards hardly speak english. I dont think its necessary to publish this kind of stuff no ?

• Like 1

All I can see on this Video is, that the Farang assault the security Guard, hit him in the face, so his hat fell off, and when the second security guards appears, he get kicked by the other Farang.

imo, the Farang had not the correct ticket and didn't wanted to accept the punishment for that !

Why is it twisted against the Thai here ? it's clear visible, who assaulted who: Farang assaulted Thai !

this kind of news and comments sucks.

How is it possible to have the wrong ticket, before you go through the turnstiles on the way to the trains?

• Like 2

From what I saw of the video and read elsewhere, it's the guys own fault. He tried to do something that isn't allowed, got abusive, and got what was to be expected when you get abusive with security/police.

Yeah it was sort of my take on it too. Aren't these trains packed enough? Surely balloons won't help........

The security guard may have been quick with the baton (although we didn't see that) but it is supreme arrogance to ignore the rules.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 2

Typical, I have seen the same type of thugery from Transit inspectors in Australia. This type of violence should under no circumstances be condoned. The man is clearly non hostile and is trying to understand why he has become a victim of such unforgiviable agression.

So much for a happy day out on the train with girl and kids. -sack them immediately.

• Like 2

I have been on the BTS many times and have seen signs posted no drinks, smoking or food but i do not recall a sign banning balloons. i have had the security gaurds in my face when my son went through and then came back out to get me and the gaurd saw him go through with me claiming he had not paid, of course i showed the ticket but he was a little pratt which did not sit well with me TIT or not! my wife calmed things down or maybe i would have been clubbed too.

• Like 1

Of course anybody could go nuts and aggressive all of a sudden, farang or thai. I sympathize with this farang man a little bit that he had unluckily taken the 'thai way' of relaxing certain regulations for granted, had taken his supposed 'farang's' privilege for granted. BTS security must be tight and watchful nowadays, esp. after the valentines bomb event.

The public opinion among thais, however, is favorable to the BTS security guard. (I've read some thai forums) Couple this blatant violence on the farang's part with the thai tendency to find cunning ways of promoting national self-esteem often by inventing a neccessary evil, the matter could go easily out of hand... Especially the mutual prejudices that's been going on between thai/farang or western/asian thing could easily go out of proportion.

The best thing the farang man should do now is to admit his fault and apologize. He can even issue some sort of joint statement with the BTS, they will be more than happy to be of farang man's service. It will be a happe ending for everyone. But I don't daresay it will ever happen.