Driving To Mae Ngat Dam

james24

Not quite, stay on the 107 past Mae Rim and continue past Mae Taeng, a few kilometers past Mae Taeng you will see a clearly maker exit lane for the right turn that will lead you to Mae Taeng. You do not want to turn left on the 1096 to the attractions you mentioned, drive past that intersection.

I have gone both ways. I think the fastest route is as Fishenough stated. The sign is on the northeast corner of the intersection.

But going in one way and out the other makes a nice day trip, even if you take a ride out on to the lake.

Not quite, stay on the 107 past Mae Rim and continue past Mae Taeng, a few kilometers past Mae Taeng you will see a clearly maker exit lane for the right turn that will lead you to Mae Taeng. You do not want to turn left on the 1096 to the attractions you mentioned, drive past that intersection.

Hi ‘Fishenough’ not trying to split hairs, I’m really not, but just for your info… The place you refer to as ‘Mea Taeng’, (the town after Mae Rim) is in fact called Ban Mea Malai.

Mae Taeng is an Amphoe, (district) inside Chiang Mai which is a provinces. I know most Amphoes and provinces in Thailand have a town or city that carries the same name.

Mea Taeng is slightly different in that there is a Ban Mae Taeng……but it is very small and is in fact at the ‘T’ junction off the 107 where you turn right to ‘Mae Ngat dam’ and is known locally as ‘mea Taeng cross roads’.

As I said, just for info, I only know this because I live not 2 Kms from Mea Malai.

One word of caution - don't rely on Sat Nav if going there, at least not Toyota's. The Fortuner's had us driving round in circles around the small lanes below the dam last time we were there! Hillarious, as we could see the dam and have been many times before so knew the way. A little data glitch me thinks!

Still havent made it there yet, gonna go today, can anyone give me a rough guess of how long it takes to get there from Chiang Mai centre?

For Christsakes, GOOGLE IT!

All Google routes include a distance and time estimate. (Usually a little on the pessimistic side)

HERE: http://g.co/maps/dt4ys

It's about 1 hour and a bit.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1