Urgent Info Needed On Malaria Please

Chiangmai Foxy

hi,just been for another booster jab before i depart on monday(hep a /typhoid etc)

i just got a letter from the nurse saying we did not discuss malaria cover!and get in touch but the surgery closed and i leave monday.

i need to know,with it being winter in c mai,will all the mosquitos have gone? ie will i need to go to the nurse just before i leave monday to get cover.am i in any danger in c mai during dec/jan of malaria.please inform thanks

Risk rather limited in LOS generally and specifically that time of the year.

Anyway, the malaria strain prevalent in Asia is highly resistant to the current existing medications.

I heard that some Belgian company has developed a highly effective new cocktail, but it is based upon the African strain and still in the human testing phase. It promises a cure in one day.

... yes, malaria in Thailand is a non-issue, except maybe for some Western doctors and nurses that haven't updated their knowledge for quite some years ...

Unfortunately that includes most travelers clinics.

Malaria is present only in deep forested areas (particulalry along the Burmese and Cambodian borders) where one is very unlikely to go. Further, the mosquitos bite only at night so you'd have to not only go there but stay after dark there...highly unlikely. I worked for 6 years on the Thai-Cambodian border in one of the world's worst malaria zones -- the refugees averaged 2 infections per person per year -- but due to security concerns (war) all the relief workers had to be out of the camp before dark. Not a one of the dozens of us working there took prophylaxis and not a one of us ever got malaria. The mosquitos realy do follow the " only at nighttime" rule.

And lastly, as other posters have said, the prophylactic drugs don't work here anyhow as the malaria is resistant. And -- those drugs have not insignificant side effects.

All of the above is equally true in Cambodia, contrary to what the CDC is still telling people.

Now if for some reason you are planning to spend overnight in deep jungle near the border, post again and I'll give advice specific to that rare circumstance...

hi,just been for another booster jab before i depart on monday(hep a /typhoid etc)

i just got a letter from the nurse saying we did not discuss malaria cover!and get in touch but the surgery closed and i leave monday.

i need to know,with it being winter in c mai,will all the mosquitos have gone? ie will i need to go to the nurse just before i leave monday to get cover.am i in any danger in c mai during dec/jan of malaria.please inform thanks

When i ask about treatment,they say only if you are going to Koh Chang or near the border of Laos do you need to take tablets,always talk me out of bothering.People say take Vitamin b1 to stop mozzie bites and also eating marmite is supposed to help!Not too bad if you like the stuff :D I suggest a bee keeping suit myself,to be on the safe side :o

Forget Malaria, it's Dengue you need to watch out for.

Get some repellent which has 80% DEET in it and cover yourself with it at sunup and sundown.

I only know of Bushman repellent gel, does anyone else know of another good brand with 80% DEET?

Which country are you in now?

Forget Malaria, it's Dengue you need to watch out for.

Get some repellent which has 80% DEET  in it and cover yourself with it at sunup and sundown.

I only know of Bushman repellent gel, does anyone else know of another good brand with 80% DEET?

Which country are you in now?

i am in england.thanks everyone for the replies,i wont bother then as come to think of it the nurse said i didnt need it last time if just visiting cm bkk etc