Driving Own Car In Burma

I've recently driven my own-Thai registered 4x4 in and out of Malaysia (a dream) and Laos (a potholed pain).

Not to be discouraged, I now want to try Burma/Myanmar, but can't even find a road map. Can anyone advise on any aspect?

I'd prefer to enter from Mae Sot over the newly re-opened bridge and head for Moulmein and Rangoon.

I hear one must take a local guide in the car the whole way.

Are inquiries at their Embassy in Bkk likely to be met with sweet reasonableness?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congratulations to FlatulantFrog for driving in and out of Malaysia and Laos, I have driven in and out of both countries and they are very different, suprisingly they are very different on both the Thai and other sides of the borders as there is much more paperwork needed to leave Thailand via Laos than leaving Thailand via Malaysia.

The comment made by edwinchester is normally only an issue if you turn up at the Burma (aka Myanmar) border without a pre-arranged visa, and under those circumstances you perhaps cannot leave the town of Irrawady, however I'm quite sure that restriction does not nesseseraly apply if you arrive with a suitable visa issued in Bangkok at the Myanmar Consulate.

This is different when you go to Tachiliek as Shan State issue a temporary (14 day) pass and hold on to your passport IF you don't have a visa already, it's easy enough to drive on up to the Chinese border but you cannot cross into China unless you have your passport (which means you needed a Visa for Myanmar in advance) and of course a Chinese Visa, though you probably still won't be allowed into China with a car, I say probably because it really dependes on who is on duty that day at the border and which way the wind is blowing, ie it's hit and miss at best. Your best bet is to keep smiling, tell the border guard how hansome he is, and be driving a Mercedes Benz !

In any event check the following, this is my quick guide to passing international borders in a car.

1/ The car should be in your name, and you should have the blue book (in your name). Whilst letters of authority MAY be acceptable, it's a easy reason to be refused.

2/ Though technically not required for countries other than Laos (where it's madatory) you should have a International Travel Document (car passport) issued at the Land Transport Office, you CANNOT get this if the car is on finance. It acts as a translation from the Thai and looks all very official and proper

3/ Arrive at the border early, my experience is that tricky borders are easier very early in the morning and I have passed through a border in Vietnam early that is reputed to be difficult/impossible and I'm sure it's because the border staff are half asleep!

4/ Expect a long wait and a lot of paperwork, if you are lucky they can't be bothered they will just wave you past, that's more likely if you arrive early.

5/ Keep smiling, and act like it's something you do all the time.

6/ Carry some packs of cigarettes to smooth the path when dealing with officials, and a small bottle of whiskey can work miracles if you really need it.

7. Be in a Mercedes Benz wherever possible

Maps can be difficult in Burma, you can buy photocopied road maps at the border sometimes but it's probably best to print some pages from Google Earth before you go. You will need to have a guide with you and hopefully he will know the way. If you travel on the Bus or by Taxi you don't need a guide, travelling by car you need an approved (licenced) guide and that will cost you about 1000 baht per day.

I'd be in interested to hear the "personal" expericences of others in Burma with a car, not so intereted in the opinions of armchair travellers who tho think they know it all !!

• 2 weeks later...

Most of the roads in Burma are off limits to foreigners. Can't post links here - check map on the website tools4fools info

Locals are allowed on these roads with special permits. For example the road going south beyond Moulmein is off limits. Similarly, the roads beyond Lashio to Myitkina is also off limits, as also most coastal roads. One has to fly to those destinations with special permits [expensive] issued by the MTT.

It would be nice to know if someone can drive their own vehicle from Thailand, the last I knew was a cross-country rally a decade ago, that required clearance from the chief himself.

Off course, you can hire cars and drivers. Be sure that you personally see the vehicle before committing to it. Most of the vehicles are over 20-30 years old held together with wires :)

You can get a few decent SUV's on hire if you look around - hire charges a lot cheaper than Thailand.

Recently returned from Myanmar with my Burmese wife,visiting her family.

It seems travel is very restricted "in country" .

Some roads are open for one way traffic on alternate days.

There can also be several checkpoints along the way.

Whilst in Yangon, discovering that motorcycles have been banned since about 1999,we enquired about car rental,

The best way seemed to be to rent the vehicle and the driver for the day,for the touristy stuff,very agreeable Toyota S.U.V .

Taxi's seemed to be reasonable though some were in minblowingly dangerous condition! all adds to the excitement.

Recently returned from Myanmar with my Burmese wife,visiting her family.

It seems travel is very restricted "in country" .

Some roads are open for one way traffic on alternate days.

There can also be several checkpoints along the way.

Whilst in Yangon, discovering that motorcycles have been banned since about 1999,we enquired about car rental,

The best way seemed to be to rent the vehicle and the driver for the day,for the touristy stuff,very agreeable Toyota S.U.V .

Taxi's seemed to be reasonable though some were in minblowingly dangerous condition! all adds to the excitement.

One of the problems is the huge queue that forms at each filling station. It is far better to have a prearranged driver and car. If you use a reputable tour company you can get with someone/thing decent but in my visits I've had the most awful ramshackle vehicles with drivers who probably learnt to drive the previous day! Having said that it was always fun.

I have driven my own vehicle into Myanmar twice legally, via Tachileik. That appears to be the only legal land crossing for private vehicles.

I think it might be possible to bring a car to Kawthoung, opposite Ranong province, as well, if you can find a way to ferry the vehicle.

• 3 weeks later...

In the year 2003 me and my daughter, 30+ at that time, took a trip to Burma.

We stayed a couple of days in Rangoon and then rented a car with driver. It was

a Toyota Crown and the driver was a nice man in the fifties.

The roads were bad at that time so it took a long time (2 days) to go to Pagan that was our first goal.

But it was great, we were not in a hurry and it was a good way to see the country. We stopped when ever

we saw something interesting or for a drink or a bite.

After a couple of days in Pagan (great place) we headed for Inle Lake. We did not see many checkpoints and

we saw only one or two military vehicles during 10 days.

Trip to Inle Lake from Pagan took also 2 days and the views on the trip were fantastic. We met soo many nice people

and many of them spoke quite good English.

After a couple of days in and around Inle lake we were heading back to Rangoon and then back to BKK.

The whole trip was very pleasant and I want to make it again, maybe start in Mandalay and go north.

• 1 month later...

Congratulations to FlatulantFrog for driving in and out of Malaysia and Laos, I have driven in and out of both countries and they are very different, suprisingly they are very different on both the Thai and other sides of the borders as there is much more paperwork needed to leave Thailand via Laos than leaving Thailand via Malaysia.

The comment made by edwinchester is normally only an issue if you turn up at the Burma (aka Myanmar) border without a pre-arranged visa, and under those circumstances you perhaps cannot leave the town of Irrawady, however I'm quite sure that restriction does not nesseseraly apply if you arrive with a suitable visa issued in Bangkok at the Myanmar Consulate.

This is different when you go to Tachiliek as Shan State issue a temporary (14 day) pass and hold on to your passport IF you don't have a visa already, it's easy enough to drive on up to the Chinese border but you cannot cross into China unless you have your passport (which means you needed a Visa for Myanmar in advance) and of course a Chinese Visa, though you probably still won't be allowed into China with a car, I say probably because it really dependes on who is on duty that day at the border and which way the wind is blowing, ie it's hit and miss at best. Your best bet is to keep smiling, tell the border guard how hansome he is, and be driving a Mercedes Benz !

In any event check the following, this is my quick guide to passing international borders in a car.

1/ The car should be in your name, and you should have the blue book (in your name). Whilst letters of authority MAY be acceptable, it's a easy reason to be refused.

2/ Though technically not required for countries other than Laos (where it's madatory) you should have a International Travel Document (car passport) issued at the Land Transport Office, you CANNOT get this if the car is on finance. It acts as a translation from the Thai and looks all very official and proper

3/ Arrive at the border early, my experience is that tricky borders are easier very early in the morning and I have passed through a border in Vietnam early that is reputed to be difficult/impossible and I'm sure it's because the border staff are half asleep!

4/ Expect a long wait and a lot of paperwork, if you are lucky they can't be bothered they will just wave you past, that's more likely if you arrive early.

5/ Keep smiling, and act like it's something you do all the time.

6/ Carry some packs of cigarettes to smooth the path when dealing with officials, and a small bottle of whiskey can work miracles if you really need it.

7. Be in a Mercedes Benz wherever possible

Maps can be difficult in Burma, you can buy photocopied road maps at the border sometimes but it's probably best to print some pages from Google Earth before you go. You will need to have a guide with you and hopefully he will know the way. If you travel on the Bus or by Taxi you don't need a guide, travelling by car you need an approved (licenced) guide and that will cost you about 1000 baht per day.

I'd be in interested to hear the "personal" expericences of others in Burma with a car, not so intereted in the opinions of armchair travellers who tho think they know it all !!

Not sure what you mean in #2 of your list about Laos. Never needed such documents when taking vehicle into Laos.Only regerstation card or papers were needed.All other entry doc's where always supplied on Laos side. Have done so 4 times and it was extremly easy.

All your other points are spot on.

I have taken my motorcycle into Burma two times,Shan State.Mind you I did this illegally north of Pai with some Thai Special Forces friends of mine. Toured a couple of rebel regions in the mountains the Thai have been training for years.Very beautiful country and the people there really impressed me. Hoping the country will open in the next year or two for foriegners to bring their vehicles in to travel more of the country than just the out skirts of the boarder towns.

• 4 weeks later...

I have read some reports on a foreigner driving a Thai car from Mae Sai across to Tachileik and towards the Burmese/Chinese border at Daluo via Kengtung, some 200km away. When I was last at that border crossing in 2007, I asked the customs agents there and they advised it was quite straightforward to bring a Thai car across for a fee of about 150 Baht for the paperwork, together with a letter from the individual who owns the vehicle in case the owner isn't present that gives permission for the car to be driven across the border temporarily.

I have been close to Daluo from the Chinese side driving a Chinese car, but the border there is not an international crossing so it can't be used for crossing between China and Myanmar whether you arrive by car or not. I saw one Lao car in the vicinity, which normally have unrestricted access to all of Sipsongbanna, but I'm certain that vehicle wasn't coming from Myanmar as permission to cross would have been denied. In fact, only Chinese tourists are allowed to cross for a few hours for day trips from Yunnan and back again, but are not to leave the town on the Burmese side, which due to it's proximity to the border and the presence of ethnic Chinese Kokang peoples is 100% Chinese speaking, with very few Burmese elements.

I believe it is possible to bring a Thai vehicle across and drive up to the Chinese border opposite Daluo and back again with a stay of up to 14 days, but no deviations off that route are allowed and an official guide is supposed to accompany you too. Very occassionally foreigners have been allowed to travel where they want in Myanmar by car and there are some reports on the internet about this, but in general it's very rare to receive such permission. Given the recent positive developments in Myanmar recently, there is every reason to be positive about the possibility that the country will open up quite soon with many of the current restrictions being removed, but when exactly this may happen is anyone's guess.

For the time being, I'd recommend either that itinerary (Mae Sai to Kengtung to the Chinese border) or perhaps considering driving into Laos again, Vietnam (either driving a Lao car or in your Thai car provided you join a caravan tour) or southern China. Lao cars can be driven without restrictions into Sipsongbanna, southern Yunnan province of China and apparently Thai cars are afforded the same privileges, but I'm not sure as when I was there earlier this year I only saw Chinese and Lao cars.

• 5 months later...

I am from New Zealand and I like to drive my own car (registered in New Zealand) from Thailand to India or Bangladesh crossing Myanmar. Any restriction about it yet? I am holding a New Zealand driving licence or may be to arrange an International driving licence.

I am from New Zealand and I like to drive my own car (registered in New Zealand) from Thailand to India or Bangladesh crossing Myanmar. Any restriction about it yet? I am holding a New Zealand driving licence or may be to arrange an International driving licence.

If you've read the previous posts in this thread, you'll know that what you would like to do is not legally possible.

I was caught in 94 and agsin in 96 in public transport (actually, one was a dump truck) and turned back. I seriously doubt even present changes Myanmar is allowing you to take your own transport and roam the country. No way. Folly for asking.

I have heard rumours that some islands will be opening for 1 -2 night stays. If this is done via proper channels there is a park fee of 150us so that with the tour makes the whole thing stupid expensive poor value.

• 1 month later...

I have some new information on this topic as I have travelled to Myawaddy (opposite Mae Sot) 3 times this year already. Firstly, it is possible to bring across a Thai car from Mae Sot to Myawaddy without special permission (but the car should preferably be in your name or that of a travelling companion and can't be a Thai rental car), but only for the day and then you are essentially only allowed to travel about 15km inside the country to the industrial estate. This is also the furthest you can go on your own without special permission - although in practice you can go up to the start of the mountains before Kawkareik (I just did this) as the first checkpoint isn't really properly manned. However, going via this route would still require you to leave the same day so it's only useful if you want to explore Myawaddy and surrounding areas on a day trip - perhaps because you would like to buy some things in Myawaddy to take back to Thailand and/or get a feel for Myanmar. If you do make it beyond the mountain checkpoints before Kawkareik either officially or otherwise, you'd probably find it a lot easier just as a passenger in a Myanmar registered vehicle though.

To drive to Yangon officially at least, you'll have to get in touch with MT&T, who'll meet you at the bridge in Mae Sot (or Myawaddy - same thing) helping you with your paperwork and they'll probably give you a guide that would accompany you on your entire trip inside Myanmar. The cost of this permit and guide is hard to say - I have heard reports of something in the region of US$5000 and a few weeks up to maybe 3 months of prior permission before being granted. On the 7th of January a group of Singaporean motorcyclists, along with another group of motorcyclists from other countries did just this - I saw they had a guide with them and probably had to pay something like this to be granted permission to cross through this restricted area.

Hopefully this will all become a thing of the past as I have now received reports that the entire road from Myawaddy to Yangon will be officially opened to everyone by next year. If this becomes the case, there is every reason to believe that the authorities will also allow travel by foreign registered car. It's unclear if this would be the only road opened between Myanmar and Thailand at that time (the next one will be the new Bang Yai-Kanchanaburi-Dawei expressway currently under construction) but even if it is, it would be a good start.

If you've read the previous posts in this thread, you'll know that what you would like to do is not legally possible.

Actually - it may be possible. Read my reply (above). Currently the best and probably only official way of doing this is by contacting MT&T in Yangon. This trip can be done - but the better question is, how much prior planning and how much money will it cost? Because on both counts, expect a lot of time to be required to be granted permission and a lot of money to be charged meaning you have to ask yourself, is it worth it? Perhaps yes, if you want to drive across Myanmar to film a documentary or something, but less so if they charge you a fortune even though you just want to say you've done it. Crossing from Thailand to Myanmar and back again will cost a certain amount - but crossing from Thailand to India or Bangladesh via Myanmar will almost certainly cost a lot more, will require more time to be granted permission etc.

• 9 months later...

Applying permit is one thing and applying visa is another. Permit is allowed for drivers' to travel starting from

Permit requires 9-10 working days. Definitely you need a travel agency because the ministry want to make sure someone is responsible. I am not sure the about the charge though but I know what documents needed.

Name Lists of participants mentioning Name, Passport Numbers and Nationality

Detailed Itinerary

Guide License

TA's registration card

Car Plate Number & Photo

Car/Driver's License

• 1 month later...

Here in bullet points what I was required to do when I drove from Mae Sai to Moeng La (China border) and back (I spent a week inside Burma with my 4x4)

- car must be registered on your name, i.e. driver's name (foreigner no problem or difference to Thai)

- no hired car or leased car allowed to leave Thailand (Thai customs rule)

- no motorcycles allowed to do the trip

- Thai customs papers - they charge you a small daily fee for leaving the country

- original car registration is kept by Thai customs - returned when you enter Thailand again. You receive a paper for it.

- Myanmar Travel at the border will assist you with all paperwork there

- Foreigners driving Thai licensed cars no problem

- You will be issued a one-month-insurance by a Myanmar insurance company

- 2-week visa for Myanmar on entry (unless you have a visa)

- payments of road tax, passenger tax (for additional passengers in your car)

- Thai driving license accepted (i guess EU or international as well)

- you receive immigration card which needs to be stamped at each checkpoint (5 between Tachileik and Moeng La) as well as at the immigration in Kengtung and Moeng La if you stay overnight there.

- road toll to be payed a few times along the highway to Kengtung- that's for every vehicle.

- on return: pay Tachileik road tax again (weird, but dont argue...)

- exchange back your car registration at Thai immigration.

Note: your passport and Thai visa are totally separate issues to the car leaving the country, which is customs stuff! They Thais are very helpful anyway. Myanmar Travel is helpful too, but the authority guys are kind of getting you take deeeeep breaths... just be prepared that the procedure in Tachileik will take 3+ hours.

Total amount of permission and tax fees... approx 120 US$ (we were 4 passengers and my 4x4 pickup truck, 1 week)

Make sure you have 4 sets of copies of all your papers.

During the Myanmar "checkin procedure" I had to go back to Thailand to get copies done... Thai immigration just laughed and let me come back without restamping or keeping my passport wink.png

In Myanmar: Checkpoints: friendly, no fees, no cheats, no pocket money. I passed at least 20 checkpoints during that week and just one time they asked me kindly to let a police dog sniff a little for drugs. More often I had to turn down requests by the police, immigration or customs guys to drink tea at the checkpoint and have a chat... Actually, the only "unfriendly" officials were the ones in Tachileik. Says a lot.

Thai police warned me of security and pocket money requests. Truth: nothing happened. At one makeshift military checkpoint the collected 1000 Kyat from people - I was the only one who did not pay, and they let me pass, too (towards another special area close to China).

Entering special region 4 (Moeng La) - make sure you have YUAN (change them in Kengtung). The local warlords army charges you for a "visa" and some road tax again. But, they don't take Kyat or Baht, even though you are in Myanmar...

Fuel: cheaper in Tachileik and Kengtung. Fill up there. More expensive in Moeng La.

Other recommendation: Ask the hotel or guest house in Keng Tung to get you a local guide to come with you on excursions into the wild countryside. This helps tremendously. Fee approx 1000 Baht for a day for a well-educated guide.

I did the trip during rainy season (August) - 4x4 is a MUST. If you like adventure - take mud-chains with you, its worth it.

Driving into remote villages off the main Thailand-China highway: pay a few Kyat to the owner of the house where you park your car - this way it will be looked after and save while you do a hike.

A good hand-drawn map of the region around Kengtung is in the lobby of the biggest state-owned hotel in town (I forgot the name, but it's where the former Shan palace used to be). You can take pics of that map, even though you do not stay there.

Have a good trip smile.png and forgive me if I forgot to mention some detail wink.png

• 4 weeks later...

Don't think sheep are allowed in cars in Myanmar, so better you leave your Ewe behind ! cheesy.gif

Here in bullet points what I was required to do when I drove from Mae Sai to Moeng La (China border) and back (I spent a week inside Burma with my 4x4)

- car must be registered on your name, i.e. driver's name (foreigner no problem or difference to Thai)

- no hired car or leased car allowed to leave Thailand (Thai customs rule)

- no motorcycles allowed to do the trip

- Thai customs papers - they charge you a small daily fee for leaving the country

- original car registration is kept by Thai customs - returned when you enter Thailand again. You receive a paper for it.

- Myanmar Travel at the border will assist you with all paperwork there

- Foreigners driving Thai licensed cars no problem

- You will be issued a one-month-insurance by a Myanmar insurance company

- 2-week visa for Myanmar on entry (unless you have a visa)

- payments of road tax, passenger tax (for additional passengers in your car)

- Thai driving license accepted (i guess EU or international as well)

- you receive immigration card which needs to be stamped at each checkpoint (5 between Tachileik and Moeng La) as well as at the immigration in Kengtung and Moeng La if you stay overnight there.

- road toll to be payed a few times along the highway to Kengtung- that's for every vehicle.

- on return: pay Tachileik road tax again (weird, but dont argue...)

- exchange back your car registration at Thai immigration.

Note: your passport and Thai visa are totally separate issues to the car leaving the country, which is customs stuff! They Thais are very helpful anyway. Myanmar Travel is helpful too, but the authority guys are kind of getting you take deeeeep breaths... just be prepared that the procedure in Tachileik will take 3+ hours.

Total amount of permission and tax fees... approx 120 US$ (we were 4 passengers and my 4x4 pickup truck, 1 week)

Make sure you have 4 sets of copies of all your papers.

During the Myanmar "checkin procedure" I had to go back to Thailand to get copies done... Thai immigration just laughed and let me come back without restamping or keeping my passport wink.png

In Myanmar: Checkpoints: friendly, no fees, no cheats, no pocket money. I passed at least 20 checkpoints during that week and just one time they asked me kindly to let a police dog sniff a little for drugs. More often I had to turn down requests by the police, immigration or customs guys to drink tea at the checkpoint and have a chat... Actually, the only "unfriendly" officials were the ones in Tachileik. Says a lot.

Thai police warned me of security and pocket money requests. Truth: nothing happened. At one makeshift military checkpoint the collected 1000 Kyat from people - I was the only one who did not pay, and they let me pass, too (towards another special area close to China).

Entering special region 4 (Moeng La) - make sure you have YUAN (change them in Kengtung). The local warlords army charges you for a "visa" and some road tax again. But, they don't take Kyat or Baht, even though you are in Myanmar...

Fuel: cheaper in Tachileik and Kengtung. Fill up there. More expensive in Moeng La.

Other recommendation: Ask the hotel or guest house in Keng Tung to get you a local guide to come with you on excursions into the wild countryside. This helps tremendously. Fee approx 1000 Baht for a day for a well-educated guide.

I did the trip during rainy season (August) - 4x4 is a MUST. If you like adventure - take mud-chains with you, its worth it.

Driving into remote villages off the main Thailand-China highway: pay a few Kyat to the owner of the house where you park your car - this way it will be looked after and save while you do a hike.

A good hand-drawn map of the region around Kengtung is in the lobby of the biggest state-owned hotel in town (I forgot the name, but it's where the former Shan palace used to be). You can take pics of that map, even though you do not stay there.

Have a good trip smile.png and forgive me if I forgot to mention some detail wink.png

Interesting report - I've read a report somewhere written by a foreigner who did the exact same route bringing in his own 4x4 truck some time ago, complete with pictures and all. I haven't been able to find the blog or website since, but I'll try again.

A few questions: did you have to request advance permission to bring in your car, or did you just show up at Mae Sai and told Thai customs you're heading into Myanmar by car?

Any documents required from the Land Transport Department for the car, or is the blue book enough (like in the case of Cambodia)?

Did you need a Myanmar guide with you in the car? It turns out that prior to August 28 of last year when 4 Thai-Myanmar border checkpoints opened for foreigners holding visas (and for Myanmar citizens too, who wanted to travel further into Thailand) you needed a guide for travel inside eastern Shan state, even if you travelled by public transport.

While I would love to travel all over Myanmar in my own car one day soon (this is becoming a regular occurrence with overland caravan tours scheduled regularly...some of them are now even crossing at the new Phu Nam Ron crossing and exiting or entering via Ranong/Kawthoung and not just Mae Sot/Myawady as I previously thought), if it is possible to travel independently the corridor from Tachilek to Mong La opposite Daluo in China that would be a good start to get a feel for self-drive in the country.

Interesting regarding the Yuan in Mong La. I traveled to Muse opposite Ruili last year by car with driver and although Yuan were accepted for many transactions, hotels still quoted in USD but accepted Kyat for payment.

Are there any hotels to stay in Mong La? If so, are they any good and how much per night?

• 2 months later...

Hello to all the passionated travellers out there!

My girlfriend and me plan to cross Myanmar with our own car in either August or September this year (2014) as part of our road trip with our 4WD from Australia all the way back to Germany. We have found a local licensed tour operator in Myanmar who can organize all kinds of tours with own cars in Myanmar but it is up to us to find other people who are interested in joining us (to make the high costs of such a tour organization affordable). We want to enter Myanmar coming from Thailand and travel on to India. If you are interested in joining us in the second half of August or in September please contact us: <removed> - if anyone has information about other groups already planning something similar please let us know likewise!

Kind regards,

Enrico and Nadine

• 2 weeks later...

It is now possible to drive your own cars crossing Myanmar to India and other countries. We did the tour last April via Burma Senses who offered us a very reasonable price. I took reference on the Lonely Planet and Tripadvisor and the prices there were quite expensive.

Yes, you should have the International Driving License, because you could save a bit money.

My girlfriend and me plan to cross Myanmar with our own car in either August or September this year (2014) as part of our road trip with our 4WD from Australia all the way back to Germany. We have found a local licensed tour operator in Myanmar who can organize all kinds of tours with own cars in Myanmar but it is up to us to find other people who are interested in joining us (to make the high costs of such a tour organization affordable). We want to enter Myanmar coming from Thailand and travel on to India. If you are interested in joining us in the second half of August or in September please contact us: nue.travelling[AT]gmail[DOT]com - if anyone has information about other groups already planning something similar please let us know likewise!

Kind regards,

Enrico and Nadine

Hi, you can contact Burma Senses Travel & Tours to compare the price. This company can arrange the private caravan tours with tight budget.

My girlfriend and me plan to cross Myanmar with our own car in either August or September this year (2014) as part of our road trip with our 4WD from Australia all the way back to Germany. We have found a local licensed tour operator in Myanmar who can organize all kinds of tours with own cars in Myanmar but it is up to us to find other people who are interested in joining us (to make the high costs of such a tour organization affordable). We want to enter Myanmar coming from Thailand and travel on to India. If you are interested in joining us in the second half of August or in September please contact us: nue.travelling[AT]gmail[DOT]com - if anyone has information about other groups already planning something similar please let us know likewise!

Kind regards,

Enrico and Nadine

Hi, you can contact Burma Senses Travel & Tours to compare the price. This company can arrange the private caravan tours with tight budget.

Thank you for the advice! If have just contacted them as request a quote. I will let know if they can offer cheaper rates.

@everyone: Still looking for more people to join us!

Hello to everyone.

In the meantime we have found another tour operator (www.burmasenses.com
) who offers guided tours through Myanmar.
The price per person for a group of 4 people would be 1080 USD excluding food and fuel.
The more people, the cheaper of course.

So setting up a group of three or more cars would make this trip much more affordable.
If anyone else is interested in crossing Myanmar from Thai to India in August or September this year please reply!
Cheers,
NuE

Archived