BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Flatouthruthefog

Driving Own Car In Burma

Hello to everyone.

In the meantime we have found another tour operator (www.burmasenses.com
) who offers guided tours through Myanmar.
The price per person for a group of 4 people would be 1080 USD excluding food and fuel.
The more people, the cheaper of course.

So setting up a group of three or more cars would make this trip much more affordable.
If anyone else is interested in crossing Myanmar from Thai to India in August or September this year please reply!
Cheers,
NuE

$1,080/person

how many days?

to where? entering where, exiting?

includes accommodations?

@all

Made a mistake: the 1080 $US are INCLUDING FOOD

@phuketrichard

The price ist for a quick 4 day crossing of Myanmar starting at the Thai border at Myawaddy and finishing at the India border at Moreh / Tamu.

It goes via Nay Pyi Taw, Bagan,Pon Taung, Gangaw and Kalay Myo.

The price does not include any sight seeing but the tour can be changed in any wait to suit all participants wishes.

Are you interested in doing a crossing?

If you have a serious interest please let me know! I can also provide a detailed itinerary.

Best regards to all.

If anyone has any more questions, just ask!

NuE

UPDATE:
According to our latest research the crossing is not as expensive as I / we thought it is.
To quickly summarise:
Next to the German guy Jörn Schlag whose latest price for an extensive trip through Myanmar was 2000 Euros (~ 2750 US$) per car (independent of the number of cars building the convoy) we already found three licensed travel agencies situated in Myanmar who offer crossings through Myanmar (all following prices are based on a four or five day crossing):
1st was Tin Maung Shwe from www.brightviewtravel.com who basically provided the following prices (includes everything except of own fuel, any sight seeing and personal expenses): for 1 car / 2 pax : 2163 US$ per pax; for 2 cars / 4 pax : 1287 US$ (costs are getting cheaper the more people join the group)
2nd was Thar Aye from www.burmasenses.com who offers the crossing as follows: for 1 car / 2 pax : 2000 US$ per pax; for 2 cars / 4 pax : 1060 US$ (costs are getting cheaper the more people join the group). Furthermore we found a
3rd tour operator whose costs vary significant from those of Tin and Thar Aye:
His name is Mutu Suresh from www.myanmarexperttours.com and who recommends a six day crossing due to the more difficult road situation on the rainy season for the following (costs are in total, NOT per person!):
1 Person - 900 US$
2 People - 1060 US$
4 People - 1700 US$
6 People - 2250 US$
Includes three meals per day and five nights' accommodation. Not included as already mentioned above: own fuel, sightseeing entrance fees on the way, personal expenses and road tax (no more than 50 $US per vehicle).
I was wondering how this high price difference is possible. But I only found few reviews only of people travelling with him (all were very satisfied with his work) and he assured me that no extra costs would apply (except the ones mentioned). If anyone can give any reviews about Mutu Suresh this would be very welcome!

So far I found another couple with a 4WD who is willing to join us on the crossing. Furthermore I am waiting for the reply of two motor cyclists who also are interested in joining us.
That means currently we are four, maybe six people who will do the crossing together. I requested another offer + itinerary for a six day crossing allowing for visiting Bagan and a seven day crossing allowing for Bagan and Mandalay.
News will be posted.

So far to our situation.
Still looking for more people to join us!
Since we are having travel delays the currently desired departure time (start time) for the crossing will be middle of September.

Best regards to everyone,

Enrico and Nadine
www.nue-travelling.com

Anyone want to try a convoy into Burma from Thailand? There are several new crossings open now and I'm sure as a group we can get permissions.

Sounds interesting. Can one bring a Thai car on finance over if going via convoy? I have heard that the finance companies are more likely to make exceptions to the "can't take the car outside the country whilst on finance" rule if you go on a tour. I would be very interested if it's possible. Just wondering if anyone knows.

My guess would be that a finance company might have reservations as part of their assets would be in a country without any easy means of retrieval. however just one more hurdle to get over ..... perhaps some form of guarantor (freight/shipping agent) would do it?

@wilcopops

Basically you still need to have a local licensed tour operator guiding you the whole trip through the country, no matter if you travel alone or in a convoy!

The border security at the Myanmar border will not let you get into the country unless there is a tour operator picking you up at the border!

But since there are more affordable tour operator this should all be no problem at all anymore. Especially if you have a group of six people or more.

Did you read my above posts? The tour operators Tin from brightviewtravel.com and Tar Aye from burmasenses.com are still quite expensive. But there are cheaper tour operators like Mutu from myanmarexperttours.com which we chose for our tour through Mynamar.

What are your detailed travel plans for Myanmar? I am currently building up a group for crossing Myanmar coming from Thailand (crossing at Mae Sot / Myawaddy) and going to India (Moreh / Tamu border) on a six or seven day trip with a stop over at Bagan. We are currently definetely six maybe seven or even eight people. The trip start is scheduled for middle of September but could be rescheduled for another one or two weeks (depends on the arrival of all participants in Bangkok / the Thai Myanmar border).

If you are interested in joining us let me know. You need to have a Carnet the Passage and evidence for a health insurance ready when tour booking / tour start will take place.

We will wait until second half of August before we book the trip to allow to get a better idea of when we actually can do it.

Total tour price including all fees, taxes and accommodation is 3600 US$ for a group of eight people. Not included is fuel, meals and personal expenses.

Kind regards from Dili, Timor-Leste

My guess would be that a finance company might have reservations as part of their assets would be in a country without any easy means of retrieval. however just one more hurdle to get over ..... perhaps some form of guarantor (freight/shipping agent) would do it?

Perhaps; although I think asking a locally based Thai tour agent that has experience running caravan tours into Myanmar (there are two that I know of) would know the answers for sure. I will start asking them soon.

I haven't gone through the other posts yet...i am looking at 2 options at present for December.

1 - drive into Burma

2 - Drive to Kunming, Yunnan

I want to do this as cheaply as possible and allow about 5 to 7 days in either country.

I haven't gone through the other posts yet...i am looking at 2 options at present for December.

1 - drive into Burma

I want to do this as cheaply as possible and allow about 5 to 7 days in either country.

With a Thai car? Driving into Myanmar seems to be fairly straightforward these days and there are overland caravan tours heading into Myanmar every week or second week it seems. These tours are also relatively cheap. As mentioned here I think you'll find that for less than US$1000 or equivalent you can drive your Thai car around Myanmar for about a week. The US$1000 fee should include most costs, except maybe fuel, your visa and other incidentals. Hotels, border crossing fees (these are not much), guide fees etc. are however included.

Driving to Kunming should in theory be possible just by showing up at the China/Lao border if you are driving a Thai vehicle according to the 2003 GMS cross border agreement that covers 6 countries, including Thailand, Myanmar, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia and China's Yunnan and Guangxi provinces. In practice however, this is not so. You may be required to go on a tour. By next year it should be possible to go independently (after all, Chinese cars can enter Thailand without being on a tour) but until then you'd be better off driving a Lao car into China unless you don't mind going on a tour with a Chinese guide. Drivers of Lao cars can reach Kunming via 2 border crossings, there is now a newly opened one in the far north of Laos at a place called Ban Lan Teuy/Meng Kang (Jiang Cheng), but you may need to know someone in China to "guarantee" your car while you're there (except for trips near the border where this is not required). This merely involves calling that friend at the border while they speak to customs. The customs officer will print out a customs form allowing you to drive around Yunnan. Separate permission may be required for driving into Guangxi and other provinces. Otherwise, Lao cars are restricted to the region near the border, which used to be Sisongbanna near Jinghong, more than 200km from the border. Vehicles registered in all other countries will definitely need to go on a tour.

Sounds interesting. Can one bring a Thai car on finance over if going via convoy? I have heard that the finance companies are more likely to make exceptions to the "can't take the car outside the country whilst on finance" rule if you go on a tour. I would be very interested if it's possible. Just wondering if anyone knows.

I think the finance company will know ...........Ask them rolleyes.gif

1 - drive into Burma

With a Thai car? Driving into Myanmar seems to be fairly straightforward these days and there are overland caravan tours heading into Myanmar every week or second week it seems. These tours are also relatively cheap. As mentioned here I think you'll find that for less than US$1000 or equivalent you can drive your Thai car around Myanmar for about a week. The US$1000 fee should include most costs, except maybe fuel, your visa and other incidentals. Hotels, border crossing fees (these are not much), guide fees etc. are however included.

Driving to Kunming should in theory be possible just by showing up at the China/Lao border if you are driving a Thai vehicle according to the 2003 GMS cross border agreement that covers 6 countries, including Thailand, Myanmar, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia and China's Yunnan and Guangxi provinces. In practice however, this is not so. You may be required to go on a tour. By next year it should be possible to go independently (after all, Chinese cars can enter Thailand without being on a tour) but until then you'd be better off driving a Lao car into China unless you don't mind going on a tour with a Chinese guide. Drivers of Lao cars can reach Kunming via 2 border crossings, there is now a newly opened one in the far north of Laos at a place called Ban Lan Teuy/Meng Kang (Jiang Cheng), but you may need to know someone in China to "guarantee" your car while you're there (except for trips near the border where this is not required). This merely involves calling that friend at the border while they speak to customs. The customs officer will print out a customs form allowing you to drive around Yunnan. Separate permission may be required for driving into Guangxi and other provinces. Otherwise, Lao cars are restricted to the region near the border, which used to be Sisongbanna near Jinghong, more than 200km from the border. Vehicles registered in all other countries will definitely need to go on a tour.

I was up at the laos/china border ( Ban Boten) above Luang Namtha last year with my thai car an asked, they said impossible to take a Thai car in unless in a caravan/tour with all permits done way in advance

Laos car yes.

There was an article in the Bkk post a few weeks back extolling the pleasures of driving to Kunming....it seemed to indicate a slackening of the requirements.

There was an article in the Bkk post a few weeks back extolling the pleasures of driving to Kunming....it seemed to indicate a slackening of the requirements.

Yes, things are changing and they should be to be fair - just yesterday I saw a Chinese plated car driving westwards on Rama II near Samut Sakorn - if they are allowed into Thailand without a tour, so the reverse should also be allowed.

As Phuketrichard pointed out his experience was from last year. Could you please send me a private message with this article.

In any case, should I drive up to Kunming in the near future I could easily take a Lao car across, assuming that the Chinese authorities easily allow you to drive past Jinghong. Lao cars are seen in large numbers in the area up to Jinghong, but only Lao plated international buses to Kunming have, up until now been seen past Jinghong. That could be changing.