Photos Of Bkk Skyline - Vantage Points

expat-global

I'm taking some photos of the Bangkok skyline while the weather is clear and sunny and cool. The problem is finding the best places to take photos.

Baiyoke is an obvious place, but at night the veranda is moving so that taking a nighttime photo with a tripod is hopeless. Daytime is OK, if you go on a weekend morning before the pollution comes. (Before, I went on a weekday afternoon and couldn't see very far looking south.)

I took some photos from the restaurant on top of Sun Tower (just southwest of the Chong Nonsi skytrain station) and those are pretty good, both day and night (on a weekend).

Does anyone know of any rooftop restaurants or high level hotel terraces or any other vantage points along Sukhumvit or Petchburi Rd. or farther north which offer a good view of a beautiful part of the skyline and are accessible to a farang stranger walking in?

Cheers.

Vertigo on top of the Banyan Tree Hotel. It's the highest open-air restaurant in Asia, and being on the rooftop of a sixty-one story building, this restaurant certainly earns its name!

http://www.banyantree.com/bangkok/dining_vertigo.htm

I went there a few years ago with one of my friends. Dinner was about 4000 a person, not including wine. I'm not sure if they'll let you go up there just to shoot pictures, but if I remember correctly, they had another restaurant directly below Vertigo that was indoors, so maybe they'll let you sight-see from there.

Vertigo on top of the Banyan Tree Hotel.  It's the highest open-air restaurant in Asia, and being on the rooftop of a sixty-one story building, this restaurant certainly earns its name!

I went there a few years ago with one of my friends.  Dinner was about 4000 a person, not including wine.  I'm not sure if they'll let you go up there just to shoot pictures, but if I remember correctly, they had another restaurant directly below Vertigo that was indoors, so maybe they'll let you sight-see from there.

No problem, they also have a small bar on the roof called the Moon Bar, drinks are about 400 baht each, that will give you time to take a few photos.

Vertigo on top of the Banyan Tree Hotel.  It's the highest open-air restaurant in Asia, and being on the rooftop of a sixty-one story building, this restaurant certainly earns its name!

I went there a few years ago with one of my friends.  Dinner was about 4000 a person, not including wine.  I'm not sure if they'll let you go up there just to shoot pictures, but if I remember correctly, they had another restaurant directly below Vertigo that was indoors, so maybe they'll let you sight-see from there.

Is the price worth it pudgi?

Is the price worth it pudgi?

hel_l yes.

The food is decent for fine dining. Maybe not up to snuff when compared with the best of New York or London, but certainly WAY above what you normally find in Bangkok.

But it's really the view that makes this restaurant. There's something about sitting outside on the roof without a canopy that makes it seem more exhilirating. It really does induce a bit of vertigo, so the restaurant is aptly named.

So if you have friends visiting from out of town and you want to show them that Bangkok offers a bit more than street vendors and KFC, this is definitely the place to impress them.

Does anyone know of any rooftop restaurants or high level hotel terraces or any other vantage points along Sukhumvit or Petchburi Rd. or farther north which offer a good view of a beautiful part of the skyline and are accessible to a farang stranger walking in?

Cheers.

Skyline is ok from food center at emporium

Grand Hi tech Tower on Ekamai 23 has a rooftop swimming pool/bar (11th or 12th floor). The view is descent, getting skyline shots of central sukhumwit, san saeb klong, pasee temple, and phetchburi, are worthy. It's not too high so you can get a contrast of slum market and rubble directly below you with the fancy condos of tonglor/prom pong in the background. It's an apartment, so either you can act like you live ther and slip in to the elevators when someone comes out, and have a drink and eat before you take your photos (for 100 times less than vertigo res.)

As far as the north side, your best bet is around Aree. There are several 20 storey condos/apartments/offices between pahonyathin 6 and 8 with good skyline views (Taksin empire up here) anyway, you'd either have to live there or work there to get to most of them...but I was told there is a nice fitness center on the 40th floor of one these buildings on pahonyathin near soi sai lom (pahonyathin 8) that you could easily access, and aparently the view is great. Can't remember the name of the building but shouldn't be too hard to find out if you stroll and ask around around Bkk/Thai farmers bank, past macdonalds (or maybe it's the same building as mac)

good luck