Nong Khai

HarryHacker

The Royal Mekong has a big swimming pool that is well maintained. It is out of town quite a ways. You will need transportation into town..tuk tuk, or rented motorcycle.....or walk for an hour or so.

The Grand has a smaller swimming pool (a bit small for doing laps) that is well maintained. It is in town so you could easily walk around town.

I've never stayed in either since I prefer the relaxed riverside atmosphere of the Mut Mee Guest House which is also conveniently located in town....but it doesn't have a pool....but you can use the hotels's pools for a small fee if you want to swim which is easily financed with the savings you make because the Mut Mee is much cheaper.

The Royal Mekong has a big swimming pool that is well maintained.  It is out of town quite a ways.  You will need transportation into town..tuk tuk, or rented motorcycle.....or walk for an hour or so.

The Grand has a smaller swimming pool (a bit small for doing laps) that is well maintained.  It is in town so you could easily walk around town.

I've never stayed in either since I prefer the relaxed riverside atmosphere of the Mut Mee Guest House which is also conveniently located in town....but it doesn't have a pool....but you can use the hotels's pools for a small fee if you want to swim which is easily financed with the savings you make because the Mut Mee is much cheaper.

The only swimming you'll want to do up here at the moment would be in a 5mm wetsuit - it's freaking baltic here.

IMO Grand Hotel - more convenient for the town, livelier and has the restaurant on the roof. The RM is rarely busy and the rooms I've been in are quite 'musty'.

Edited by Gallowspole

The Royal Mekong has a big swimming pool that is well maintained.  It is out of town quite a ways.  You will need transportation into town..tuk tuk, or rented motorcycle.....or walk for an hour or so.

The Grand has a smaller swimming pool (a bit small for doing laps) that is well maintained.  It is in town so you could easily walk around town.

The only swimming you'll want to do up here at the moment would be in a 5mm wetsuit - it's freaking baltic here.

IMO Grand Hotel - more convenient for the town, livelier and has the restaurant on the roof. The RM is rarely busy and the rooms I've been in are quite 'musty'.

Thanks for the info, I think I will go for the Grand, it sure sounds it will suit me while Ms Harry visits the family cave. Certainly no swimming planned.

I will file a report when I return.

• 2 weeks later...
Having spent a few days in Nong Khai, I do have to say that the Grand Hotel is a rather tired and grubby hotel, so typical of provincial hotels. When I return I will not stay there again.

OK then, where would you stay?

Ms. B and I are headed up to Nong Khai for a couple of days next month. We're thinking of the Mut Mee but are still open to suggestion.