Renting Around Nimmanhemin Road

Andrew Mac

Hi Chiang Mai experts

I'll be working in the Nimmanhemin Road area for a year or so, starting in mid-January, and if you don't mind I'd like to ask a few quick questions about accommodation in that area. I'll be working in Sukkasem Road, which I've been led to believe is somewhere between Nimmanhemin Sois 2 and 4, but I've never actually been in that part of town, and I'm not sure what the area is like.

To begin with, I should point out that I don't need any really big or luxurious -- just something comfortable, and reasonably priced. I think I will probably need a two-bedroom place, though: one room for myself, and another to double as a study and guest room (I'll be getting a few visitors while I'm here). I've also got to admit that a small living area would be nice as well :o

By looking through posts made on this forum I've been able to identify a few possible apartments -- PT Place, Baan Thai, Huay Kaew Residence, for example -- but are there any other options that might be worth considering? For example, do you think there might be a chance to get a small house or "townhouse" (that's what we them in Australia; not sure about Thailand)?

If there is the possibility of renting a townhouse, what do you think the general rents might be? And is security something I need to think carefully about?

Also, I'm not sure whether to book long-term accommodation in advance, or go for a short stay in a convenient guest house while looking around for something suitable. The advantages of booking in advance, I guess, are that something is at least booked, but is there more to be said for looking around first? Also, is it cheaper to book in advance, or in person? If you can get better rates in person, then I think I'd definitely prefer to look around first ...

That's about all for now, although other questions or issues may come up if and when any of you might be able to help me out with any suggestions.

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to give. :D

Hillside 3 is pretty decent. The rooms are 5K baht a month and the building is newer feeling and clean and has a swimming pool. I looked at a room a month or so ago and they came with a large tv and highspeed internet was an option.

I also noticed there are some private ones advertised sometime on Citynews.

http://www.chiangmainews.com/classifieds/list.php

Its on the mountain side of Nimmanhemin and its right next door to Powerhouse gym. I think its either soi 9 or 11.

There are a lot of other choices but I thought that one was good value. I rented at hillside 4 which is really nice but pricey at 8 to 12K baht.

Renting for a year, I'd definitely want to check out the place personally (views, area, facilities etc). Grab a guesthouse for a week or so and check out places in person.

I did look at a couple of apartments in Huay Kaew Residence; both were the same size and layout but felt very different according to where in which block they were. Same applies to Viangbua Mansion where I've stayed three times this year - "city view" is a definite minus compared to "mountain view".

I'm looking for a long-term house rent for myself for next year and explored most of the Nimmanhemin sois - it's mainly a mix of bigger houses, blocks and a few townhouses (as in terrace/row houses - i.e. common walls).

I did look at a couple of apartments in Huay Kaew Residence; both were the same size and layout but felt very different according to where in which block they were.

I've had a look at their website. Any idea why they're charging 4000bt for a 24 sq.m. room yet 12000bt for a 48 sq.m?

Hubby and I stayed 3 months at the Flora House, not exactly on Nim., but off Huay Kaew Rd., Canal Rd. and very near the Lanna Muay Thai training center. Sorry, I cna't remember the soi. Flora house was really, really comfortable, quiet, spacious and a really nice homelike setting. It's a complex of about 18 large villa-style one story apartments. Ours was about 1000 sq ft, actually more than plenty for us, and rented for 8k, all the water you want for 200bt. We were very happy there and will be going back in Feb. for a few months. Check it out!

Hubby and I stayed 3 months at the Flora House, not exactly on Nim., but off Huay Kaew Rd., Canal Rd. and very near the Lanna Muay Thai training center.  Sorry, I cna't remember the soi.  Flora house was really, really comfortable, quiet, spacious and a really nice homelike setting.  It's a complex of about 18 large villa-style one story apartments.  Ours was about 1000 sq ft, actually more than plenty for us, and rented for 8k, all the water you want for 200bt.  We were very happy there and will be going back in Feb. for a few months.  Check it out!

I did look at a couple of apartments in Huay Kaew Residence; both were the same size and layout but felt very different according to where in which block they were.

I've had a look at their website. Any idea why they're charging 4000bt for a 24 sq.m. room yet 12000bt for a 48 sq.m?

Looking at the information sheet they gave me when I visited, the higher rate for the bigger area includes more furniture + microwave + "free" weekly cleaning service. In some cases, there also seems to be a premium for being in what's considered to be a "better" building - e.g. because of the view.

BTW, on the info sheet, the 24 sq.m. room specs mention "furniture knock-down" whereas 32 sq.m. and 47 sq.m. gets you "furniture built-in". I didn't take this in at the time they gave me the sheet, so it's anybody's guess what "furniture knock-down" means! :o

BTW, on the info sheet, the 24 sq.m. room specs mention "furniture knock-down" whereas 32 sq.m. and 47 sq.m. gets you "furniture built-in". I didn't take this in at the time they gave me the sheet, so it's anybody's guess what "furniture knock-down" means!  :o

How much are the 32 sq.m. rooms? "Furniture knock-down" probably means an instruction sheet in Swedish and a screwdriver so you can build it yourself :D

BTW, on the info sheet, the 24 sq.m. room specs mention "furniture knock-down" whereas 32 sq.m. and 47 sq.m. gets you "furniture built-in". I didn't take this in at the time they gave me the sheet, so it's anybody's guess what "furniture knock-down" means!  :o

How much are the 32 sq.m. rooms? "Furniture knock-down" probably means an instruction sheet in Swedish and a screwdriver so you can build it yourself :D

According to my info sheet - 5,500 baht p.m. (3 months minimum or + 1,000 p.m. if less than 3 months - I believe that loading applies to all the room rates).