Family Of Man In Skytrain Scuffle Threatened

Lite Beer

I think the online forums and media shoulder some of the responsibility here. The video shows only the man's angry response to being assaulted, but neglects to show the cause of it, and the two beatings he received. There should have been words to that effect. Instead people were led to believe that the anger of the Irishman was the issue and he has therefore been judged on only the evidience against him and nothing in his favor.

I think he needs to consider his families safety now and at least take a holiday.

This shows the need to be responsible when posting videos in public, This video may have ruined his life, when it was initially taken with the intent to show how badly he was being treated. According to the women who shot the video.

Being a stroppy <deleted> is what 'ruined his life', not this <deleted>' video. <deleted>!

An earlier post said that the 'untrained' BTS security should never have resorted to violence. What the video doesn't show is the physical threat that this guy presented to the BTS security guard. The video does show that for a long time after being walloped, the guy was STILL trying to have a go at the security guard.

Drink in, wits out. End of.

• Like 2

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More likely the authors of that drivell are. But reading the irresponsible speculative BS written here makes me wish I were.

holocaust doomsday theorists...

Really? Dunno what thread you've been following here.

The rest of us have been reading and commenting on a video showing a farang teacher acting like a jerk in public...

You must be on some different planet.

Edited by Reasonableman

Unless a verbal argument is now considered asking for it. Which many here believe is the case.

I've seen and dealt with many BTS station guards over the years... And I too certainly would like to see the full surveillance video to discern what really happened here.

But nothing in my past experience suggests the typical BTS guard is likely to whack a passenger in the head with their metal detector without considerable provocation... And the teacher guy's conduct on the video we have seen certainly is suggestive of him going well beyond a verbal dispute.

Are you really trying to suggest he was a perfectly polite, reasonable soul beforehand. But suddenly for no reason got whacked in the head. And then immediately turns into a raging maniac who's trying to kick a woman station chief while his friend has to restrain him by horse collar grabbing him around the neck as he continues to struggle???

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

In one of the first articles, it said the wife was not present;but, was called and told her husband was in some problems at the BTS.

SO.... She is likely going off what her husband told her and she likely has no clue what the BTS CCTV video will show.

The wife has reviewed the CCTV video with her husband.

What is importnat is that the name and photo and address of the security guard be openly published along with details of his family least one of the usual thaivisa members who have a neck for criticising their own kind ends up marrying the security's guard's sister or mother or worst still the security guard himself and then continues criticising his own kind on line....lol!

Had this not been caught on video it would almost certainly have been a non story.

Which to be quite frank it should have been. Unfortunately it went out on the internet and now there's all this shit going around.

When i read about this I think of what would have happened in Canada, if he didnot comply with a quards request. Here is what I think would have happened especially if he tried to force his way through with the balloons. He would have probably been tasered. Then balloons and him taken to local police station and his wife and child would have had to arrange bail. He would have had to go to court and probably have a criminal record at the end of it all. He and his family should apologize to the quard, the BTS and pay the quard for lost wages , pain and suffering.

A public apology would help alot.

BS, this would not have made it passed a stern conversation with the first transit cop encountered if this were in Canada. The Canadian police do not smash people in the face with appliances when they see someone is upset with them. They have training.

After watching the video canuckamuck, I agree. Canadian transit cops do have training, and tasers, it appears. You're right in that they don't smash people in the face with appliances; they taser them instead!! I like that sort of training, and whilst I don't agree that Thai transit security people have NO training, they could sure do with having tasers and the Irishman would have been pacified far more effectively.

Incidentally, every time police in Australia taser or shoot someone, the civil libertarians bleat that cops aren't adequately trained, so that's hollow. The only people who are against tough law and order are those who want to make jerks of themselves and inconvenience decent people.

Edited by F4UCorsair

Why are we arguing whilst we do not know all the facts from the BTS and from the Irishman as well. Keeping in mind that all articles we read are written by the media. I believe there is a lot more going on. And i just gathered this from reading between the lines in the media. The, "common sense" derived raised questions, after reading these articles are inmho being withheld from the readers for no apparent reason to ours truly. Cheerio

To get back on Topic (at least 2 other Threads are discussing the behaviour of the Irish teacher).

It's a great pity that someone - Thai I guess - has gone so far as to threaten the man's family, but there are always extremists around who let their emotions run riot.

I do not think for a moment that the threat is real but it must certainly be upsetting for the family.

Patrick

BTS should just release the video. If BTS doesn't release the CCTV video (and since they're the only ones with access to it), then Mr. Behan's story should be accepted.

Whatever happened, the death threats and this entire circus is getting out of hand. Mr. Behan is not <deleted>' Hitler; at worst he's a guy who lost his temper.

Exactly. Amazing how folks are drawing conclusions and getting in heated debates based on only the fraction of the altercation that was made available as a video clip. Lots of prejudices exposed.

• Like 2

He and his wife have seen the tapes, they say they want them released, because it will help their side of the story. They wouldn't urge BTS to release the tapes if the Irish guy had swung first.

The guy and his wife are hardly impartial or reliable judges or reporters of what the full tape may or may not show, or what the rest of us would conclude if we were to view it...

And, from my direct experience with BTS (where I've had to go and view their surveillance video myself), in this kind of a police case, the guy and his wife would be entitled to get a copy of the video from BTS.

What the guy and his wife are being reported to have said in the news media and what they're actually doing in dealing with the BTS may or may not be the same thing.

Lastly, who "swung" first to use your phrase is hardly the definitive issue here... The guy could well, after a verbal dispute, have tried to bull his way past the guard, and any number of other scenarios where the guard might have "swung" in self defense. But on that point, it's all speculation, because none of us know for now.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

When i read about this I think of what would have happened in Canada, if he didnot comply with a quards request. Here is what I think would have happened especially if he tried to force his way through with the balloons. He would have probably been tasered. Then balloons and him taken to local police station and his wife and child would have had to arrange bail. He would have had to go to court and probably have a criminal record at the end of it all. He and his family should apologize to the quard, the BTS and pay the quard for lost wages , pain and suffering.

BS, this would not have made it passed a stern conversation with the first transit cop encountered if this were in Canada. The Canadian police do not smash people in the face with appliances when they see someone is upset with them. They have training.

I passed a stern conversation just yesterday and neither of the participants were wielding blenders, washing machines or refrigerators?

There is a possibility that the CCTV footage is being withheld by BTS for further legal action. BTS have never (in the articles I have read anyway) admitted blame for what happened. They have however apologised to the passenger and removed (not fired) the security guard involved and this to me is to try and defuse the incident. All I see from the passenger's side is claims for time of work, alleged phone threats, etc.

It is not the publics right to have access to the CCTV; this is between the Irish passenger and BTS.

I think the cell phone video showed it pretty well. The guy has to follow the rules, whatever country he is in, end of conversation. If I was the guard I would have given him a crack too. What about all the poor people on the train that would have had the ballons in their faces, its crowded enough.

In short, when you follow the law [rules] you dont have problems

He got a couple of guards disaplined or fired, for doing their job, and then is surprised he gets threatened. Duh! Another elietest that thinks he is special

Edited by Lost in LOS
  • Like 1

BTW, I've been meaning to inquire....

As far as I understand it, the station security guards are contract employees who work for another company, not direct employees of BTS like the station staff are...

If that's not correct, please correct me... But assuming it is, the BTS wouldn't have the ability to "fire" a contractor employee. They could remove that employee from his BTS assignment or bar him from working at BTS... But his employment status would be up to his contract employer.

Not sure what a tazer incident in Canada has to do with an altercation on a skytrain station in Thailand.

Please tell me you are not suggesting that tazers should be issued to security guards here.

BTW, I didn't see any balloons visible in that clip, which is probably a good thing otherwise it may have got ugly!

Both the father and the guard are at fault...both let their tempers get the best of them with the father's good intentions of getting his daughter's ballons home get the best of him....there are other methods of transportation. And I just wonder what "real" training BTS gives its gaurds regarding conflicts with passengers.

It is not the publics right to have access to the CCTV; this is between the Irish passenger and BTS.

It's been made public by one video I'm afraid, so it should all be made public. BTS refusing to release the CCTV footage makes this whole thing smell quite badly.

• Like 1

New York and he probably would have been shot...

Australia, detained, maybe arrested, most likely fined couple of hundred dollars...or, staff don't want to get involved and pretend nothing happened.

Sorry a 'rule' is only a rule when it gets clear and consistent enforcement..

The whole "well you can take half your balloons through" just shows its entirely selective and being made up on the spot.

• Like 2

BTS have never (in the articles I have read anyway) admitted blame for what happened. They have however apologised to the passenger

The BTS have not apologised to the Irishman - this is confirmed by his wife when she went to report the alleged telephone threat to the police. A BTS Representative did send flowers to the family but this was only in recognition of the distress the incident caused to the family - they did not admit or accept responsibility in any way.

Patrick

It's been made public by one video I'm afraid, so it should all be made public. BTS refusing to release the CCTV footage makes this whole thing smell quite badly.

I certainly agree that the BTS video should be made public...

But there are two different things going on here... The video that was made public came from some kind of private citizen...not the BTS...

And now that there's a pending police investigation (supposedly), I can understand why the BTS wouldn't be throwing the video into the public domain. And frankly, that's not their role in such matters.

However, as someone else noted above, the police presumably have a copy of the pertinent video. And whenever they come to whatever judgment they make about the case, they could decide to release it, I suppose.

I hope they do... Or in the alternative, as a complainant in a police report, I also believe that the teacher guy would be entitled to get a copy of the video himself... I'd be very surprised if the BTS could deny such a request under those kinds of circumstances, if such a request were really made.

Once again,

Here is the danger of losing your temper in Thailand.

Now this family is being intimidated. All because this man created a confrontation. It's stupidity on his part. Who, with any knowledge of Thailand, would seriously consider causing a confrontation over a bunch of balloons?

Yes the assault was over the top, but let it be a lesson to everybody.

Don't fight in Thailand, don't be aggressive in Thailand, don't look for confrontation.

You will pay a price like you cannot believe, just as this guy has done.

AGREED !

• Like 1

Whoever made the call obviously knew where he taught. Maybe one of the parents of his students?

I for one have no idea why this guy is allowed to continue teaching after he clearly showed a disregard for Thai law. He should be fired end of story. I would not want my son or daughter being taught by a hot headed guy with no respect for law.

Maybe that's why he received the threats.

• Like 1

One would really expect both sides, if legal proceedings are likely to ensue (they have been mentioned) to have been advised by legal counsel not to make further public statements, and not to admit fault or liability, pending a resolution in the legitimate court, not the court of TVF, or elsewhere.

The school is indeed fortunate to have the advise of Cool Head Luke.

Whoever made the call obviously knew where he taught. Maybe one of the parents of his students?

I for one have no idea why this guy is allowed to continue teaching after he clearly showed a disregard for Thai law. He should be fired end of story. I would not want my son or daughter being taught by a hot headed guy with no respect for law.

Maybe that's why he received the threats.