7 Drown, Hat Yai Declared Disaster Area

george

Flood update: 7 drown, Hat Yai declared disaster area

HAT YAI: -- At least seven more people have drowned in floods in southern Thailand, mostly in Songkhla province, according to reports. Authorities declared Hat Yai district, the largest city in the South, as a disaster-zone.

In all, at least 21 deaths were caused by heavy rains and floods in the South since late November, unofficial figures showed.

Officials said heavy downpours resumed again in Hat Yai and other nearby districts in Songkhla province after midnight and worsened when flash floods from a mountain in Hat Yai overflowed into the district seat along with the water runoff from neighbouring Sadao district and floodwaters from the swollen U-Tapao canal.

Evacuations occurred across Songkhla province. More were expected as the waters continued to rise, according to officials at the Songkhla province Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Centre. At least 40,000 people were ill across nine southern provinces, most of them with influenza, the Public Health Ministry said, adding it had sent 1000 mobile medical units and 100,000 medicine kits to the affected provinces.

Some 200 soldiers from an army camp on the outskirts of Hat Yai were erecting over 100,000 sandbags to reinforce parts of the U-Tapao canal to prevent floodwater from flowing into the district, even as some roads were already 30-50cm under water.

In Yala province, the situation was not better as one woman drowned and another was still missing. Flood at the provincial seat was as high as one metre and even medical emergency vehicles were unable to pass through with doctors and other emergency workers sent out to assist flood victims.

Yala Governor Boonyasit Suwannarat -- after an emergency meeting -- said that water pumps were now operating at full capacity.

Two army helicopters were seen delivering necessities to flood victims while squads of soldiers were repairing public utilities, attempting to restore services.

Governor Boonyasit said flood victims in his province were badly in need of food and drinking water -- that he requested two million bottles of drinking water and 40 tonnes of rice from the Fourth Army Region and the Interior Ministry. He also asked for medicines from the Public Health Ministry.

Buses operate by the state-run Transport Company have temporarily suspended service between Bangkok-Pattani-Sungai Golok as floodwaters between Nong Jik district in Pattani are now as high as 1.50 metres and roads are impassible.

In the latest development, the State Railway of Thailand announced that train services from Bangkok could go as far as Hat Yai only, that it is impossible to journey to Pattani, Yala and Narathiwat. Train services etween Hat Yai-Padang Besar and between Sungai Golok-Narathiwat are now temporarily suspended as rail tracks are now under floodwater.

--TNA/Bangkok Post 2005-12-18

In the latest development, the State Railway of Thailand announced that train services from Bangkok could go as far as Hat Yai only, that it is impossible to journey to Pattani, Yala and Narathiwat. Train services etween Hat Yai-Padang Besar and between Sungai Golok-Narathiwat are now temporarily suspended as rail tracks are now under floodwater.

Visa runs to Penang and KL by air only then?

Sympathies to all affected - sounds similar to the Chiangmai floods in August ....

"once in a lifetime" fun event for farang tourists but no fun for residents

Interesting that the report is stating Pattani, Yala and Narathiwat are effectively cut off from the rest of the country - time for the army to have some carte-blanche and payback against the insurgents?

"Evacuations occurred across Songkhla province. More were expected as the waters continued to rise, according to officials at the Songkhla province Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Centre. At least 40,000 people were ill across nine southern provinces, most of them with influenza, the Public Health Ministry said, adding it had sent 1000 mobile medical units and 100,000 medicine kits to the affected provinces."

Does anyone know more about this influenza? Like how sick are these people getting? And should tourists be concerned? :o

I drove up to Phuket from Pak Bara a couple days ago and it took me three hours longer than usual because a small town called Yan Ta Khao was about a meter deep underwater.

After waiting for three hours, I finally made the dumb decision to go for it. Water was headlight deep and a couple of waves generated from a couple of bigger trucks going the other way actually put water up as high as my windshield!! I got lucky, my old truck kept a chuggin'.

The locals were very helpful and friendly... like all locals are once you get out of touristy areas. It was delightful having conversations with the boyz in brown and I even saw Chuan Lekpai! He returned my 'wai'. What a great PM he was... the Jimmy Carter of Thailand.

I too would like to know if there's anywhere to donate goods.

Visa runs to Penang and KL by air only then?

Sympathies to all affected - sounds similar to the Chiangmai floods in August ....

"once in a lifetime" fun event for farang tourists but no fun for residents

Interesting that the report is stating Pattani, Yala and Narathiwat are effectively cut off from the rest of the country - time for the army to have some carte-blanche and payback against the insurgents?

They seem to have the same problems every year down there. I recall back in 2000, being prevented from doing a visa run in Nov, due to flooding and the suspension of rail services in the south.

HAT YAI: -- At least seven more people have drowned in floods in southern Thailand, mostly in Songkhla province, according to reports. Authorities declared Hat Yai district, the largest city in the South, as a disaster-zone.

In all, at least 21 deaths were caused by heavy rains and floods in the South since late November, unofficial figures showed.

=====================================================

This is indeed extremely bad & sad for the affected people in this area.

However; much like the annual floods in Bangkok and a few other 'regular' disasers in this Kingdom; they all have one thing in common: the are PREDICTABLE ! !

Therefor, it baffles me (as it has been for my 14 years here) that the "authorities" haven't got a better grip on these events . . . . . . ? ? ? ?

When it comes to extra-judiciarilly killing almost 3,000 people (without the benefit of the constitutionally assured law) the "authorities" can act very "efficiently", but when it comes to 'saving-lives' by simply anticipating these horror-events, they are nowhere in sight ! Bah ! ! The Thai People deserve much and much better !

Pattaya-City

This is indeed extremely bad & sad for the affected people in this area.

However; much like the annual floods in Bangkok and a few other 'regular' disasers in this Kingdom; they all have one thing in common: the are PREDICTABLE ! !

Therefor, it baffles me (as it has been for my 14 years here) that the "authorities" haven't got a better grip on these events . . . . . . ? ? ? ?

Yep, just like New Orleans in the US. Everybody knew it was a matter of when, not if, the disaster would happen. If one of the richest countries in the world does such a bad job of preparing for disaster, you really think Thialand can do better? With fewer govt. resouces, and more incompetence/corruption, I don't.

^ I would check what ths situation is like in Trang as the water-level there is very high and schools have been ordered to close all week. I'm based in Hat Yai. The water level has receded considerably, but we're supposed to get heavy rain between the 21-23. Good luck with your journey. Weather permitting, I'm driving to Phuket on the 24th. Could you let me know how you get on? Also, what's the weather like in Phuket at the moment? I don't imagine I'll be getting much of a sun-tan :o

^ I would check what ths situation is like in Trang as the water-level there is very high and schools have been ordered to close all week. I'm based in Hat Yai. The water level has receded considerably, but we're supposed to get heavy rain between the 21-23. Good luck with your journey. Weather permitting, I'm driving to Phuket on the 24th. Could you let me know how you get on? Also, what's the weather like in Phuket at the moment? I don't imagine I'll be getting much of a sun-tan  :o

Thanks Jowels, I will. Trying all channels but not with too much luck. Weather has improved in Phuket within the last two days. The question is whether it will last. Bring your sun screen anyway. have a asafe trip.

Cheers.....kandt

We were lucky. We came back from hatyai on 14 dec 2005. We left hearts there although we are back safe and sound. Our hearts goes out to all who are suffering now. We will be back again.

Officials said heavy downpours resumed again in Hat Yai and other nearby districts in Songkhla province after midnight and worsened when flash floods from a mountain in Hat Yai overflowed into the district seat along with the water runoff from neighbouring Sadao district and floodwaters from the swollen U-Tapao canal.

Evacuations occurred across Songkhla province. More were expected as the waters continued to rise, according to officials at the Songkhla province Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Centre. At least 40,000 people were ill across nine southern provinces, most of them with influenza, the Public Health Ministry said, adding it had sent 1000 mobile medical units and 100,000 medicine kits to the affected provinces.

Some 200 soldiers from an army camp on the outskirts of Hat Yai were erecting over 100,000 sandbags to reinforce parts of the U-Tapao canal to prevent floodwater from flowing into the district, even as some roads were already 30-50cm under water.

In Yala province, the situation was not better as one woman drowned and another was still missing. Flood at the provincial seat was as high as one metre and even medical emergency vehicles were unable to pass through with doctors and other emergency workers sent out to assist flood victims.

Yala Governor Boonyasit Suwannarat -- after an emergency meeting -- said that water pumps were now operating at full capacity.

Two army helicopters were seen delivering necessities to flood victims while squads of soldiers were repairing public utilities, attempting to restore services.

Governor Boonyasit said flood victims in his province were badly in need of food and drinking water -- that he requested two million bottles of drinking water and 40 tonnes of rice from the Fourth Army Region and the Interior Ministry. He also asked for medicines from the Public Health Ministry.

Buses operate by the state-run Transport Company have temporarily suspended service between Bangkok-Pattani-Sungai Golok as floodwaters between Nong Jik district in Pattani are now as high as 1.50 metres and roads are impassible.