BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
brit1984

Why Don'T Thai People Like Indian Food?

Some Thai people do like Indian food but it seems most do not. I am surprised as Indian food is mostly spicy curry and Thai people generally love spicy curry. I have asked many Thai people about this and they normally give ridiculous answers, eg "it's smelly". Interestingly, most Indians I know love Thai food. Any ideas why Thais don't like Indian food?

Like you said, the usual complaint is the smell and another one I have heard is that the curries are wrong. Hilarious, huh? Also of course, and very sadly, there is sometimes an obvious racist subtext to when Thais say Indian food smells bad; they often are implying Indian people smell bad. Thais like spicy food. Their spices.

About Indian people liking Thai, frankly, that hasn't really been my personal experience. I don't recall hearing Indian people diss Thai food the way Thais diss Indian food, but I haven't known Indians to be into Thai food. Chinese food, yes.

http://indiafoodandt...-food-in-india/

Edited by Jingthing

Sorry. Thai people only eat Thai food.

Is Fuji Thai food?

Sorry. Thai people only eat Thai food.

That's why there's big trouble in the south.

Spices don't mix.

• Like 1

It's just too heavy for the Thai palette IMO.

And the use of ghee would not be acceptable to the vast majority of Thai digestive systems.

• Like 2

More than one Thai friend has been asked by me why they don't like Indian food and I often get the reply "Indian people smell bad".

Maybe it is the taste of "Indian" food here, a lot of the Indian food here is different from the Indian food in the UK for example, my wife doesn't like the Indian food here although she has tried it twice to her credit (I know a lot of Thai's who wouldn't), but when in the UK she has tried it a few more times and actually likes it.

More than one Thai friend has been asked by me why they don't like Indian food and I often get the reply "Indian people smell bad".

Yes, one Thai person said the same to me - at the time I just assumed what she really wanted to say had been lost in translation!

The most common complaint I've heard is the smell. They often call it 'aharn musalim', and seem a bit wary of the people who make it too.

All of the above, the complaint I've heard a lot is that there are too many spices, not that it is to spicy. But I think the standard of Indian food available in Thailand might have a lot to do with it as well, the majority of it is just not very good. My wife grew to like it, but she's been to Penang and India so she knows what the real stuff tastes like. We are very selective if eating it in Thailand...

It is a bit heavy with oil for my pardner's constitution . She is not alone , I have observed , in preference to a diet of twigs and leaves . We have had a few Chungking talees in the past , but alas my blood diabetes now says " no to that " .

I once "converted" an old Thai friend. He was the typical Thai (smells!) and then I took him to a really good place, and later he told me, I like Indian food!