Why Don'T Thai People Like Indian Food?

brit1984

The answer is obviously their perception of Indian people has extended to their perception of indian food. ie Thai people are thick as pigsh*t

Talking about perceptions and being thick as pigsh*t.....................

Edited by mca

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thais generally think Indians are dirty, and by extension that their food is dirty.

What's there to LIKE about this sick comment which has no rationale to back it. The people who have offered their likes should mention their nationalities and then I will tell them what's dirty about their cuture/food.

Or may be not, because I don't want to stoop down to such levels of ignorance and hateful behavioural pattern.

Scratch a Thai who says they don't like Indian food because it smells, and 9 times out of 10 you can get a comment from them about how they think Indian PEOPLE smell too. It's not racist to see racism.

The same can be said about Indian's perception about Thai food especially with the pla ra and naam pla (fish sauce). Get over these stick assumptions.

Scratch a Thai who says they don't like Indian food because it smells, and 9 times out of 10 you can get a comment from them about how they think Indian PEOPLE smell too. It's not racist to see racism.

The same can be said about Indian's perception about Thai food especially with the pla ra and naam pla (fish sauce). Get over these stick assumptions.

It was the answer to the OP's question. It obviously offends you but that does not make it any less the answer.

This is thaivisa not indiavisa.

A lot of Indians DO smell. Ever been on a public bus in Calcutta? Compare it to a Bangkok public bus, and you'll lnow there's a difference between the way Thais and Indians smell.

It is diet-based.

It's not racism to notice that.

A lot of Indians DO smell. Ever been on a public bus in Calcutta? Compare it to a Bangkok public bus, and you'll lnow there's a difference between the way Thais and Indians smell.

It is diet-based.

Ignoring the issue of smelly people, you think it's rational to not even try a national cuisine just based on perception of how it's people smell? Again, scratch a Thai who "hates" Indian food because "it smells" and 9 times out of 10 they haven't ever even tasted Indian food. Sorry, yes I do think this is racism. Why are people so squeamish about admitting that Thailand is a deeply racist culture when that is the truth of it? Racism exists in ALL cultures to some degree. Personally I think in Thailand it exists to a high degree of course that detail is open to debate.

I would also like to say that if I was a new Thai (no interest or capability to do that though) I would be interested in suggesting improvements for Thai society rather than making up weak rationales and defenses for obvious negative aspects that clearly do exist.

Edited by Jingthing

This is thaivisa not indiavisa.

How does that matter as long as anything related to Thai is being discussed either other cultures perception of Thai or the other way around.

It was the answer to the OP's question. It obviously offends you but that does not make it any less the answer.

It obviously did offend me for a while because there was no proper stastical data backing that claim. However, I realised that preceptions about other people's cultures tend to be fixated in everyone's minds & are difficult to change.

I hope you are not trying to camouflage your perceptions of Indians by stating what majority ofThais think (again that's debatable); then that would be wrong.

It's better to be direct.

It obviously did offend me for a while because there was no proper stastical data backing that claim. However, I realised that preceptions about other people's cultures tend to be fixated in everyone's minds & are difficult to change.

I hope you are not trying to camouflage your perceptions of Indians by stating what majority ofThais think (again that's debatable); then that would be wrong.

It's better to be direct.

It's not my perception. I asked some Thais what their perception was.

You are talking mostly with westerners here, if you want to find out what they think of Indian hygiene or food perhaps you should do a poll.

The forum allows you to do that.

It is diet-based.

Ignoring the issue of smelly people, you think it's rational to not even try a national cuisine just based on perception of how it's people smell? Again, scratch a Thai who "hates" Indian food because "it smells" and 9 times out of 10 they haven't ever even tasted Indian food. Sorry, yes I do think this is racism. Why are people so squeamish

You're clearly entitled to your opinion, but Indian body odors are scented by the strong spices in their food. Many people smell the food and it reminds them of the body odor. So it is off-putting to some people for that reason -- nothing to do with hating Indians.

It is diet-based.

Ignoring the issue of smelly people, you think it's rational to not even try a national cuisine just based on perception of how it's people smell? Again, scratch a Thai who "hates" Indian food because "it smells" and 9 times out of 10 they haven't ever even tasted Indian food. Sorry, yes I do think this is racism. Why are people so squeamish

You're clearly entitled to your opinion, but Indian body odors are scented by the strong spices in their food. Many people smell the food and it reminds them of the body odor. So it is off-putting to some people for that reason -- nothing to do with hating Indians.

I'm glad for that you've found a way to rationalize all of this.

It is diet-based.

So, you are trying to say that people from other cultures who consume fish have a fishy body odour to them and those who rely more on meat (in comparision to the sea-food) smell of animal flesh?

I am suprised that you didn't talk of the 'veggie' or 'cerealy' Indian smell since many of them vegetarians; that can be overpowering too at times. Isn't it?

• Like 1

It's the spices that come through.

Don't shoot the messenger; everyone knows that strong spices come through the pores, and that sub-continental cuisine is perhaps the most highly spiced in the world (I'm talking about spice, not heat, here).

That's ridiculous theory of 'spices coming out through sweat'.

One of the spices ie chilli powder can cause someone to sweat (that too if he/she isn't used to eating it) but to say that its effect comes out in form of sweat is silly.

Well, Thai food is also spicy (& yes I am not talking about heat here) but the only difference is that Thai rely more on the use of fresh spices (herbs etc.) while Indian cuisine relies more on dry spice powder along with fresh herbs.

The reason I think many Thai people are racist against Indians is the look on their face when Indian food OR people is mentioned. I've seen this kind of reaction before among racist people in my home country. Sorry, I calls 'em as I sees 'em. The reaction seems totally irrational. If you suggest to people who react that way that they might want to consider to try Indian food, just once, the resistant reaction gets even stronger. You wonder how many people reacting that way have actually even experienced anything Indian instead of just being BRAINWASHED by their culture.

Edited by Jingthing

Sounds like you're hanging iut with a lot of uneducated ignoramusesz

Gotta call 'em as I see 'em.

I have a lot of Thai friends who like to go out for Indian food.

Try hanging around with higher quality people.

Dude, do not go there. Your smelly spices argument didn't fly so now out come the claws. I get it now. You're superior. I never said ALL Thais are racist against Indians. I said lots and I am sure that reflects the truth rather than some PR version of the truth. You seem very invested in painting a rose colored glasses picture of Thailand that simply doesn't reflect reality. Good for you. But it doesn't make the dirty stuff go away. Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Don't shoot the messenger; everyone knows that strong spices come through the pores, and that sub-continental cuisine is perhaps the most highly spiced in the world (I'm talking about spice, not heat, here).

One of the spices ie chilli powder can cause someone to sweat (that too if he/she isn't used to eating it) but to say that its effect comes out in form of sweat is silly.

Well, Thai food is also spicy (& yes I am not talking about heat here) but the only difference is that Thai rely more on the use of fresh spices (herbs etc.) while Indian cuisine relies more on dry spice powder along with fresh herbs.

That's the difference.

Are you really trying to make a case that Thais smell the same as Indians who smell the same way as farangs and Africans? Give me a break.

Sounds like you're hanging iut with a lot of uneducated ignoramusesz

Gotta call 'em as I see 'em.

I have a lot of Thai friends who like to go out for Indian food.

Try hanging around with higher quality people.

Rubbish.

I cannot write here why Thais in the main don't eat Indian food, l have been told by Thais and not by you a farang, nothing to do with your 'hi-so'' crowd. rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

I used to work very closely with Indian people for years. They didn't smell bad. Do some Indians smell bad? Yes sure, I've sniffed some but they didn't happen to be my coworkers. Do some Thais/French/Russians you name it smell bad? No doubt. It really is getting on the racial side to say this or that race or nationality smells bad. Maybe that kind of thing is OK in Thai culture, but I think on an expat forum we should be better than to internalize local racism.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

I used to work very closely with Indian people for years. They didn't smell bad. Do some Indians smell bad? I'm sure. Do some Thais smell bad? No doubt. It really is getting on the racial side to say this or that race or nationality smells bad.

It can obviously be covered up with deodorants and colognes. Maybe you just don't have a sensitive nose.

Never said Indians smell "bad", by the way.

I used to work very closely with Indian people for years. They didn't smell bad. Do some Indians smell bad? I'm sure. Do some Thais smell bad? No doubt. It really is getting on the racial side to say this or that race or nationality smells bad.

It can obviously be covered up with deodorants and colognes. Maybe you just don't have a sensitive nose.

Never said Indians smell "bad", by the way.

OK, you didn't say it. I believe it. Do you believe me that MANY Thai people DO say that? Not only say it but show a very unpleasant facial expression when saying it. The face of bigotry if you ask me. I can like living here and want to stay but don't ever have to try to make excuses for bigotry.

That's the difference.

Are you really trying to make a case that Thais smell the same as Indians who smell the same way as farangs and Africans? Give me a break.

Even if I hold your silly 'sweat' theory to be true,what makes you think that 'Thai' sweat which contains byproducts of fresh spices is less pungent than the Indian sweat containing byproducts of dry spices.

Your theories make me laugh when you say the body odour is determined by race and we can recognize one's race by sniffing him/her off.

Well, I don't hold any such degree/specialization in 'race differentiation by sweat' nor do I don't intend to in future.

That's the difference.

Even if I hold your silly 'sweat' theory to be true,what makes you think that 'Thai' sweat which contains byproducts of fresh spices is less pungent than the Indian sweat containing byproducts of dry spices.

Your theories make me laugh when you say the body odour is determined by race and we can recognize one's race by sniffing him/her off.

Well, I don't hold any such degree/specialization in 'race differentiation by sweat' nor do I don't intend to in future.

It's not determined by race. It's determined by diet. You're such a PC priss that your mind is closed to the truth.