Australian Charity Head Accused Of Faking The Rescue Of Thai Hill Tribe Children Resigns

webfact

Sex-slave charity head quits amid row

Lindsay Murdoch

THE head of an Australian charity that has been accused of faking the rescue of Thai hill tribe children from sexual slavery has resigned.

Former Australian army commando Sean McBride stepped down from the Grey Man charity at the weekend following new claims about the organisation and an investigation into the hill tribes children by Thailand’s Department of Special Investigation.

Mr McBride, who also uses the name John Curtis, told The Age the Grey Man’s board decided he should step down because ‘‘personal issues’’ between him and people in Thailand were interfering with the organisation’s operations.

Funded by Australian donations, the high-profile charity promotes the use of former Australian soldiers and police in daring missions to rescue victims of sex trafficking in Asia. [more...]

Full story: http://www.smh.com.a...0325-1vsie.html

-- smh.com.au 2012-03-26

footer_n.gif

related topic:

Australian Charity Rescues Child Sex Workers In Thailand

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In a new claim, Grey Man's former head of investigations in Thailand said the charity's website had exaggerated the success of its operations, including changing the ages of victims.

''Sean [McBride] told me younger girls are most interesting for donors,'' said the Thailand-born man who asked that his name not be published because of his undercover work. The charity's website often claimed that victims as young as 12 were rescued.

Responding by email to questions from the Herald sent before he stepped down, Mr McBride said he never changed reports ''except to make them more readable and media orientated''

Read more: http://www.smh.com.a...l#ixzz1qAwcbBG1

I always suspected that the age of the girls was exaggerated.

Edited by Ulysses G.

I was reading the other, now closed, thread related to this subject and thinking that I want to do something to help this battle against child abuse. I would be happy to set up a direct debit to an accredited agency working on this subject in Thailand.

Now this news appears and everything looks murky with this particular organization. I don't know the truth of what happened, how could I possibly? However I do know that the standards of governance in a charity of this type should be beyond impeccable.

This story looks like an unmitigated disaster, and defeats the willingness of people like me to invest in this fight. Terrible.

I am aware of the TV rule that lobbying of members is not allowed, fair enough, if it was then we would be getting bombarded with requests every day in the week. I do feel though that there is a well of goodwill and strength amongst TV members in regards to this subject.

if someone could pm me and put me in the direction of an accredited organization that I can donate to I would appreciate it.

We will win this battle one child at a time.

Mr McBride said he never changed reports

''except to make them more readable and media orientated'

What we used to call lying, in fact. This seems to have become acceptable and even commonplace in several fields of endeavour, once you have decided your cause is "right".

Equally, the recent stories about Apple's sweatshops in China turned out to be largely fabricated, with the original author, Mike Daisey eventually saying that he stood by his story "as a theatrical work."

http://www.scribd.co...on-Transcript-1

Will somebody tell these zealots that actions of this sort do not help?

Edited by RickBradford

I was reading the other, now closed, thread related to this subject and thinking that I want to do something to help this battle against child abuse. I would be happy to set up a direct debit to an accredited agency working on this subject in Thailand.

Now this news appears and everything looks murky with this particular organization. I don't know the truth of what happened, how could I possibly? However I do know that the standards of governance in a charity of this type should be beyond impeccable.

This story looks like an unmitigated disaster, and defeats the willingness of people like me to invest in this fight. Terrible.

I am aware of the TV rule that lobbying of members is not allowed, fair enough, if it was then we would be getting bombarded with requests every day in the week. I do feel though that there is a well of goodwill and strength amongst TV members in regards to this subject.

if someone could pm me and put me in the direction of an accredited organization that I can donate to I would appreciate it.

Agree, it's difficult to know which of these organizations are not only accredited but also which ones spend a very large proportion of the donations on the children and in high value focused work.

Many years ago I did some consulting work for one organization which has a very high profile global name, their internal continuous very nasty fighting between the staff (verbal and by e-mail) was quite a surprise but the 'icing on the cake' was when they decided to fly a senior manager of their charity from California to Bkk for a photo op and nothing more, all business class and staying at a Bkk five star hotel.

Agree, it's difficult to know which of these organizations are not only accredited but also which ones spend a very large proportion of the donations on the children and in high value focused work.

Many years ago I did some consulting work for one organization which has a very high profile global name, their internal continuous very nasty fighting between the staff (verbal and by e-mail) was quite a surprise but the 'icing on the cake' was when they decided to fly a senior manager of their charity from California to Bkk for a photo op and nothing more, all business class and staying at a Bkk five star hotel.

NGO's are big ( read : profitable ) business.

• Like 1

Three threads running right now about trafficking and HIV/AIDS. I have opinions about all that stuff. There is an organization outside of Rayong that takes care of HIV orphans. These are kids who are HIV positive with no family to take care of them. I give the organization money, time and used stuff that I don’t need anymore. You can google it. A number of Farang help them out and don’t get any money of publicity from it. Bars help them out too. Prostitutes cook and serve the kids food on holidays. The Thai government does not do much for them. I certainly would not send money to any charity based in another country like Australia, US or the UK. Not that they are all bad I just would not send them anything. I have been around Thailand for a while.

The trafficking sex slaves is phony today, the HIV/AIDS is not. Just my opinion but like I told my GF last night, I got to Thailand before you were born missy; and she turns 40 next year.

The trafficking of sex slaves is not phony. It does actually go on and not just in Thailand but also western countries like Australia. This I personally know as a fact.

Three threads running right now about trafficking and HIV/AIDS. I have opinions about all that stuff. There is an organization outside of Rayong that takes care of HIV orphans. These are kids who are HIV positive with no family to take care of them. I give the organization money, time and used stuff that I don’t need anymore. You can google it. A number of Farang help them out and don’t get any money of publicity from it. Bars help them out too. Prostitutes cook and serve the kids food on holidays. The Thai government does not do much for them. I certainly would not send money to any charity based in another country like Australia, US or the UK. Not that they are all bad I just would not send them anything. I have been around Thailand for a while.

The trafficking sex slaves is phony today, the HIV/AIDS is not. Just my opinion but like I told my GF last night, I got to Thailand before you were born missy; and she turns 40 next year.

The trafficking of sex slaves is not phony. It does actually go on and not just in Thailand but also western countries like Australia. This I personally know as a fact.

I respect your opinion George but I do seem to remember you being very pro Grey man when a number of men said he was a phony years ago. Did you read the Andrew Drummond stuff where Grey man made all the claims about that, “he would blow critics out of the water.” Well he hasn’t blown critics out of the water he has been blown out of the water. I would suggest if you know about any instances of current sex slave trafficking that you write Andrew Drummond and give him the specifics. I think he could direct you who to report it to.

But if you don’t have any current sex slave trafficking information why don’t you stop writing like you do. That is what got Grey man in trouble. Making up stuff about sex trafficking that may have happened years ago but was false today.

If I am wrong and you personally do know about current sex slave trafficking like you claim, how do you sleep at night not trying to stop it?

Edited by kerryk

I respect your opinion George but I do seem to remember you being very pro Grey man when a number of men said he was a phony years ago. Did you read the Andrew Drummond stuff where Grey man made all the claims about that, “he would blow critics out of the water.” Well he hasn’t blown critics out of the water he has been blown out of the water. I would suggest if you know about any instances of current sex slave trafficking that you write Andrew Drummond and give him the specifics. I think he could direct you who to report it to.

But if you don’t have any current sex slave trafficking information why don’t you stop writing like you do. That is what got Grey man in trouble. Making up stuff about sex trafficking that may have happened years ago but was false today.

If I am wrong and you personally do know about current sex slave trafficking like you claim, how do you sleep at night not trying to stop it?

I P.M'd you

‘‘I suppose people could make a connection between those kids and brothels but it was not our intention. I will discuss it with our people, but I think people realise a site like ours will have photos of kids on it.’’

Wow, so some random people are shown with the implicaiton that they are child sex workers. Imagine seeing a photo of someone you knew up there.

In my experience many charities are corrupt, and the bigger they get the more corrupt they seem to be. Only takes a few people to corrupt a whole organisation and the more people are involved the more likely you will get some shady people. If you want to help people, you need to literally help them, giving money is a waste of time.

-OKS

Sex trafficing is both a global problem, and increasing. Have you already forgotten the recent case in Thailand of the Malaysian girl and her Burmese companions. The 6 people convicted in the UK last week? I will be kind and call you unaware.

Agree it is a global problem and more prevalent in developing countries. Those that think it is phony or a myth need to take the blinkers off and come out of thier cacoon and actually take notice of what is happening around them.

• Like 2

Your actions is just what this country needs, I belong to a group of "Curry Eaters' in Bangkok and we do likewise. Twice a year we travel to Surin and beyond where we donate money, food, clothes and other items to a similar orphanges for children with HIV/Aids. The most depressing thing is that the gouvernment seems to do little and at each visit the number of children decreases. Wish we could do more. Giving money to NGO's from abroad is just a waste of time, they just have massive overheads and look after themselves. When you look at all the money donated to Cancer relief over many many years you have to wonder if it was all really worth while, are we any nearer to curing the disease?. I seem to remember that when I was a tenager in the UK comments were made that the charity get about half a penny for research for every pound donated, makes you wonder.

I applaud your charity work, however...

Did you know that the Thai Government has now managed to eradicate human trafficking and cease drug and arms trafficking ?

Now anyone who says they have seen these crimes taking place are Phony!

• Like 2

Worldvisions is notorious for this kind of thing. It's sole purpose is to evangelize, and their workers here have beautiful accommodations and first class flights everywhere. Worldvisions was called out a few years ago for counting anybody in the sex industry 23 years or younger as 'children'. A bit disingenuous!

• Like 1

Trafcord and FACE (Fight against Child Exploitation) are quite hands on here in Thailand., if you message me on my site I will give u the details

Sex trafficing is both a global problem, and increasing. Have you already forgotten the recent case in Thailand of the Malaysian girl and her Burmese companions. The 6 people convicted in the UK last week? I will be kind and call you unaware.

Agree it is a global problem and more prevalent in developing countries.  Those that think it is phony or a myth need to take the blinkers off and come out of thier cacoon and actually take notice of what is happening around them.

I think the most recent and credible survey on sex trafficking in Thailand was done by the Empower foundation 2012.  "The impact of anti trafficking policy and practice on Sex Worker's Human Rights inThailand."The survey said as it relates to Grey Man,  "However as our research shows, there remain strong incentives within the anti-trafficking movement to target the Thai sex industry using the old raid and rescue approach, which results inhuman rights abuses, legal violations and incompetent practice, all of which are still prominent in Not For Sale Campaign and Global Exchange 2012 A, 2012 article: The Grey Man Will Blow Critics Out Of The Water."To restate in terms everyone can understand the Empower Foundation in 2012 found that Grey man was using " the old raid and rescue approach, which results in human rights abuses, legal violations and incompetent practice."

• Like 1

Agree it is a global problem and more prevalent in developing countries. Those that think it is phony or a myth need to take the blinkers off and come out of thier cacoon and actually take notice of what is happening around them.

I think the most recent and credible survey on sex trafficking in Thailand was done by the Empower foundation 2012. "The impact of anti trafficking policy and practice on Sex Worker's Human Rights inThailand."The survey said as it relates to Grey Man, "However as our research shows, there remain strong incentives within the anti-trafficking movement to target the Thai sex industry using the old raid and rescue approach, which results inhuman rights abuses, legal violations and incompetent practice, all of which are still prominent in Not For Sale Campaign and Global Exchange 2012 A, 2012 article: The Grey Man Will Blow Critics Out Of The Water."To restate in terms everyone can understand the Empower Foundation in 2012 found that Grey man was using " the old raid and rescue approach, which results in human rights abuses, legal violations and incompetent practice."

All this from the guy who thinks there is no Human Trafficking ?

Trafcord and FACE (Fight against Child Exploitation) are quite hands on here in Thailand., if you message me on my site I will give u the details

Andrew, your credibility takes a huge dive with this post.

You fail to mention that Traffcord initiated the complaints against The Grey Man and that one of their main employees was an ex-employee of The Grey Man and has a big chip upon his shoulder. Your reports have been one sided and ill informed. At least when you post, reveal all the facts, not just selective ones.

Agree it is a global problem and more prevalent in developing countries.  Those that think it is phony or a myth need to take the blinkers off and come out of thier cacoon and actually take notice of what is happening around them.

I think the most recent and credible survey on sex trafficking in Thailand was done by the Empower foundation 2012.  "The impact of anti trafficking policy and practice on Sex Worker's Human Rights inThailand."The survey said as it relates to Grey Man,  "However as our research shows, there remain strong incentives within the anti-trafficking movement to target the Thai sex industry using the old raid and rescue approach, which results inhuman rights abuses, legal violations and incompetent practice, all of which are still prominent in Not For Sale Campaign and Global Exchange 2012 A, 2012 article: The Grey Man Will Blow Critics Out Of The Water."To restate in terms everyone can understand the Empower Foundation in 2012 found that Grey man was using " the old raid and rescue approach, which results in human rights abuses, legal violations and incompetent practice."

All this from the guy who thinks there is no Human Trafficking ?

I know you only have three posts to your name but try to quote correctly.  I never said there was no trafficking.  I think there is lots of trafficking.  I think people are trafficked all over the place.  I don't think there are sex slaves in Thailand who have been trafficked.  There is a difference between being trafficked as a fisherman or factory worker and a sex worker.  The reason for this thread is the head of Grey man quit.  He quit because he put photos up in his site of hill tribe kids and said they had been trafficked for sex slaves.  But the kids had never gone anywhere and were simple villagers who lived at home.  At least this is what I think happened.  Someone correct me if I am wrong.  From the article, "I suppose people could make a connection between those kids and brothels but it was not our intention. I will discuss it with our people, but I think people realise a site like ours will have photos of kids on it."  (Now if that is not the biggest load of horse pucky I don't know what is.)I have to tell you if you take pictures of my children and put them up on a sex slave trafficking web site and I am going to be upset.  I think that is what happened.  Feel free to correct me.  Quote me accurately but feel free to correct me.

Ill be watching this story closely as it unfolds. When I first heard about Grey Man a number of years back I thought it sounded great. Recent stories have made me look closer at Grey Man's rhetoric and now I question what they are up to.

The Story that Andrew Drummond exposed, with the 22 Bill Tribe children having been allegedly rescued, as being a fabrication is worth a read. The phone interview he does with McBride is also an eye opener. A lot of splutter from Mcbride, but no hard facts.

It is possible that the Grey Man organisation and many of the volunteers working for it are okay, but Sean Mcbride was abusing his position? Are Sean McBride and Grey Man able to be treated separately? Is McBride an habitual liar and con artist? Is he committed to his cause and telling the truth?

I hope the Australian federal police investigation is thorough and gives us all some more answers.

• Like 1

I don't know of any credible charities, they all spend huge amounts of money on administration costs e.g. the head of the charity staying at the Hilton hotel at $400 per night. After the Bali bombing people donated millions of dollars to the Red Cross for the victims of that event but very little of it ever got to the people who needed it.

If you want to do some good visit a school and ask them which students need their school fees paid and pay it for them. Pay them every year that they pass their courses / exams and make sure they get all the way through high school and university if you feel so inclined.

School fees idea is excellent.

• Like 1

So how many quotes does someone need before they suddenly become credible ? Please...Get a life...

I would suggest if you know about any instances of current sex slave trafficking that you write Andrew Drummond and give him the specifics. I think he could direct you who to report it to.

Also...

I don't think there are sex slaves in Thailand who have been trafficked

Taken in context, you are stating and strongly implying that no one could possibly have seen Human Trafficking in the sex trade, certainly not in the last few years. You are also suggesting the utterly ridiculous...Report it to Andrew Drummond...The self styled investigative journalist...What is he going to do ?

If Andrew was any kind of a respectable journalist, he would report all the facts, not just those that support his personal hypothesis.

With regards to the point of the thread, I am on topic as much as you or anyone else is..

"I suppose people could make a connection between those kids and brothels but it was not our intention. I will discuss it with our people, but I think people realise a site like ours will have photos of kids on it." (Now if that is not the biggest load of horse pucky I don't know what is.)I have to tell you if you take pictures of my children and put them up on a sex slave trafficking web site and I am going to be upset

Looking at The Grey Man website, I see that that they also conduct prevention work and it seems quite appropriate that there will be images of children, adults, girls, boys, men, women, cars, motorbikes, pick up trucks, houses, farm implements etc...

No one else makes the link and decides that the farm implements are trafficked ? How do you make that link ? I certainly don't unless the tag line on the image specifically says 'Image of trafficked farm implements'...

I'd suggest you take a simple high school course in media studies and critical thinking.

Edited by cry