Sex-Slave Charity Head Quits Amid Row.

lsk

"The head of an Australian charity that has been accused of faking the rescue of Thai hill tribe children from sexual slavery has resigned.

Former Australian army commando Sean McBride stepped down from the Grey Man charity at the weekend following new claims about the organisation and an investigation into the hill tribes children by Thailand’s Department of Special Investigation.

Mr McBride, who also uses the name John Curtis, told The Age the Grey Man’s board decided he should step down because ‘‘personal issues’’ between him and people in Thailand were interfering with the organisation’s operations.

Funded by Australian donations, the high-profile charity promotes the use of former Australian soldiers and police in daring missions to rescue victims of sex trafficking in Asia.

Police in the northern Thai city of Chiang Mai have cut ties with the charity amid claims and counter-claims about the organisation pending the outcome of the departmental investigation."

"McBride, who also uses the name John Curtis"

Because honest people have many valid reasons to run around using several names...

I know - I'm doing something I typically abhor - jumping to conclusions and judging. Shame on me, but something about this story stinks...

• Like 1

I like the followig extract fromt the article

Operations to rescue sex trade workers in Thailand have become highly contentious. The Empower Foundation, which represents sex workers, said in a report released this month that ‘‘we have now reached a point where there are more women in the Thai sex industry being abused by anti-trafficking practice than there are women exploited by traffickers’’.

Seems competition is fierce for lost souls, got to keep our donation quota up.

Meanwhile there is a 14 year old about to get married near my old place in Chiang Dao and everybody is happy with it. and no...I am not comparing sex trafficking with (wat would be in the western world) underage marriage. If other wedding parties are example there will be a few local police in attendance, as well as a local politician. NGO's seem absent for the event though no doubt some would be aware as you have to pick your mark. Underage (even by Thai legal standards, marriage is a regular event.

If the NGO's are interested in "trafficking" as opposed to "sexual slavery" why are they never getting children (Thai and Burmese) out of factories, farms, etc with the same regualrity or fanfare. Not sensational enough for donations?

If the NGO's are interested in "underage sex" why not try and get Thailand to enforce its own laws on marriage......possible risk of cuttng their own throat?

Having worked with adult trafficked people the vast majority were trafficked willingly as an (unfortunate) means to improve their lot, or through the family agreeing with little more than indentured slavery to pay a debt (debt bondage) which was culturally acceptable. Again,most DID NOT WANT TO BE ASSISTED, as if they were their lot was not improved, or the family still kept its debt.they or their family were no better off for their unquestionable suffering and misery There was a Buddhist like acceptance of their lot and even though "disempowered" and very often miserable, were sure in the knowledge that they were still better off than had they not been trafficked, or that the family debt was being paid (even at an extortionate cost), and there was always "next life" Entering into being trafficked voluntarily is extremely costly to the individual who is already in extreme financial dsitress to consider trafficking as a solution in the first place.

There is an ocean of difference between being a migrant (even internally within Thailand) sex worker and being a person trafficked for sex work. Some of the highly publicised but unwelcome resuces have done little more than publicise the NGO but alienate and shame the person involved further.

Sorry for the ramble but just wish that NGO's would save those that want to be saved (make the offer of help available) rather than "rescue" the person for promotion, righteousness, or donations. Or follow through and buy people out of bondage so the debt gets removed, or provide ongoing (for years and years) financial support for the families (which neccessitate the trafficking in the first place)......giving a few weeks course in basket weaving after rescue might make the NGO's feel good (and solicit more donations and need for volunteers/missionaries) but does nothing for the individual or family in the long term, especially if the debt or reason for being trafficked still remains.

On long term aftercare (including education and counselling), going after the "right" victims, and for doing this for non financial gain I do take my hat off to the Empower Foundation quoted in the article. Its a great organisation and run by Thais.

Edited by mamborobert
  • Like 1

I like the followig extract fromt the article

Operations to rescue sex trade workers in Thailand have become highly contentious. The Empower Foundation, which represents sex workers, said in a report released this month that ‘‘we have now reached a point where there are more women in the Thai sex industry being abused by anti-trafficking practice than there are women exploited by traffickers’’.

Gotta love Empower. If ever there was a really excellent NGO in this field then this is it.

Sorry for the ramble but just wish that NGO's would save those that want to be saved (make the offer of help available) rather than "rescue" the person for promotion, righteousness, or donations. Or follow through and buy people out of bondage so the debt gets removed, or provide ongoing (for years and years) financial support for the families

Not a fan of buying out the debt bondage; that just encourages the practice.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Another do gooder outfit exposed for what it is.

There are huge profits to be made by running these charitable and non-profit organisations.

Would I donate money to these seekers of justice and moral police? Like hell I would.

I totally agree and I know the salaries that a couple of 'NGO Directors' milk off of their funding budget. Funder's pay little attention to the sweet talking person at the top who often cream off bigger salaries than they would get in their own country. This plus excessive per diem are all overlooked....but move a budget line to cover something urgent in the target group and hit-the-fan.gif

Edited by uptheos
  • Like 1

Operations to rescue sex trade workers in Thailand have become highly contentious. The Empower Foundation, which represents sex workers, said in a report released this month that ‘‘we have now reached a point where there are more women in the Thai sex industry being abused by anti-trafficking practice than

Not a fan of buying out the debt bondage; that just encourages the practice.

Its more about acknowledging the practice rather than encouraging it...its been around for thousands of years and "releasing" or" rescuing" a person does not remove the debt, and the interest accumalates, and the family is held responsible, and the wider family cannot get loans any more (which might be a good thing). People in debt bondage do not see it as wrong, it is as it is, education would help but that too will take years and years. In total agreement that debt bondage should not be encouraged, but there needs to be an alternative to funds, and the issue attacked in many ways, over many years, by many people. Until the people engaged in the activity as debt provider and debt taker see it as wrong, and that there is a viable alternative, history has shown that the practice/service will continue.

• Like 1

reminds me of my mom she was definitely anti abortionist but had no use for the people doing all the deemenstrating she said if they feel that strong about it do some thing for the unwanted child when it is borne.

I try to use that in my attitude to all these NGO's how many exist to put the people they save back in the same position they were in before they were traded

And also to make a lot of money for themselves. Consumers guide in the states rated them once and some of them had a overhead of 90%.

My sister and brother in law are heading t Equadore to build a medical clinic. I told them if it is some thing that needs continuous support and the support is not there don't do it.

I don't give munch (Visions Canada) and I suspect there over head is around 35% but I do give a lot for advanced learning to my wife's kids and grand kids. That is some thing that will last.

Edited by hellodolly