Enforcing Traffic Laws?

CMNightRider

I heard the Chiang Mai Traffic Police were going to start enforcing traffic laws sometime later this year. Supposedly, the traffic police will ticket all traffic offenders who run stop lights, stop signs, drive down one-way streets the wrong way, require people to stay in their lane, and motorcycles will no longer be allowed to use sidewalks as a road way. I heard the police will require vehicular traffic to even allow pedestrians the right of way. Evidentially, some city officials visited Germany, and were amazed at how the German Police enforced traffic and how safe their roadways were as a result of this enforcement. Has anyone else heard this rumor?

Speaking of "running stop lights" does anyone know if left turn on red is officially legal? Most people seem to do it. Must say always made sense to me, much like the US's "right turn on red" rules, but am not sure if it's legal here or not.

As to the rumour, sounds like more like a pipe dream...

Just over one week ago wifey and all of her friends started wearing their helmets for the first time this year....reason ...Songkran was coming up and the BIB would be out for more donations.

Usually wifey (and her sister) wears only on Friday as experience has shown them that this is the day that they will be stopped, and, that there are police in force at regular routes they take (over Nawarat Bridge for example, or later in night eastern side of Iron Bridge).

Driving around it does seem that there are more police in mass pulling people over for checks/helmets etc. They do not seem to be worried about speeding, or going through stops signs etc just pointing at people without helmets to pull over. Prett much the usual but to me just more of it.

Given the horrendous road toll every Songkran ...if they cannot stop people drinking then maybe they can reduce the injury through helmets (questionable though they are).

Couple this with the limiting of alcohol consumption around the moat and other efforts (there appears to be an increase in the helmet signs and coverage in Thai print media) this might just be a genuine and earnest attempt to reduce the road toll (rather than purely wifey's belief at contrinuting to BIB party funds.....I won't even try to convince her though).

Edited by mamborobert

Are ya kidding me.It's the wild west in Thailand.You would need many police,and higher fines.They've

been driving like this all their life I don't see them changing.I mean I understand what your saying but

I don't see it happening.

I had the "pleasure" of making a 400bt contribution at the station last week but the good news is we (farang) are no longer singled out for 200bt extra premium.

now everyone is charged 400bt; it was almost a pleasure to pay this time.

yet another secret i have to keep from the lady!

It would only be a good thing if they did enforce all of the traffic laws but as mentioned they have neither the manpower or willpower to do this. The gangs of cops pulling people for not wearing a helmet are assigned that job for that day so they wont be interested in people jumping red lights etc. Seems that once they are assigned a task that's all they do. Most of us come from a society where policing is far more efficient and a traffic cop will enforce the law on anything you do wrong, not just a traffic offence.

Just over one week ago wifey and all of her friends started wearing their helmets for the first time this year....reason ...Songkran was coming up and the BIB would be out for more donations.

Usually wifey (and her sister) wears only on Friday as experience has shown them that this is the day that they will be stopped, and, that there are police in force at regular routes they take (over Nawarat Bridge for example, or later in night eastern side of Iron Bridge).

Driving around it does seem that there are more police in mass pulling people over for checks/helmets etc. They do not seem to be worried about speeding, or going through stops signs etc just pointing at people without helmets to pull over. Prett much the usual but to me just more of it.

Given the horrendous road toll every Songkran ...if they cannot stop people drinking then maybe they can reduce the injury through helmets (questionable though they are).

Couple this with the limiting of alcohol consumption around the moat and other efforts (there appears to be an increase in the helmet signs and coverage in Thai print media) this might just be a genuine and earnest attempt to reduce the road toll (rather than purely wifey's belief at contrinuting to BIB party funds.....I won't even try to convince her though).

so Friday is the only day she may not die from an horrific head injury after being knocked off her bike? Why not make her wear it everyday? Edited by thaimiller

so Friday is the only day she may not die from an horrific head injury after being knocked off her bike? Why not make her wear it everyday?

You can "make" your wife do something that she doesn't want to do? Really?

There are signs up in Thai now saying the fine is up to 500B for no helmet. My girlfriend was furious she had to pay a backhander of 200B. I told her Thaksin is looking after his boys by putting the fines up. She scowled at me.

so Friday is the only day she may not die from an horrific head injury after being knocked off her bike? Why not make her wear it everyday?

You can "make" your wife do something that she doesn't want to do? Really?

I have told my wife that she needs to wear an helmet and explained the reasons why and shown her graphic pictures of why. Now she wears it all the time, not hard to educate people that you love.

I would love wifey to wear a helmet and I could make her wear one, at least until out of sight but what is the purpose of that. She has a "good" helmet and still will not wear it. Variety fo reasons,too hot, someone might steal helmet, just done something with hair etc. The only reason she wears a helmet is to avoid a fine.

She has had two significant accidents, one required hospitalisation for months and a metal rod in her thigh (and foot long scar), and still will not wear a helmet. She wasn't wearing one on the two occassions and a helmet would not have helped with injuries (her rationale). She is not the only one by any mark, there are people including those with expat partners riding around with little more than projectile babies/infants.

I have also shown photos, talked about head injuries etc, but there are some things that I cannot do even through education. I cannot convince her to put food away in the fridge rather than leave out for hours to collect its required amount of bacteria before it is devoured again, that there are no ghosts/spirits in the second bedroom, that Mr Shinawatra should not be cannonized, that channel seven soap operas are crap.........and that an amulet is not a good substitute for a quality crash helmet

• Like 1

For anyone having trouble getting their significant other to wear a helmet, there is some excellent video out there on the internet.

I particularly "liked" the video where two young Farang guys killed themselves in Pattaya. It includes footage of people with major parts of their head missing, and rescue workers collecting bits of brain in a plastic shopping bag.

PM me for the link. It's on a site part of the Nation Group so I could post it here, but I'm deciding against it.

["Liked" in the sense that it is quite the educational shocker.]

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

The last time my wife got stopped for no helmet they made her go into the police station and pay the 400 baht fine.

I got a boot, well a chain put thru two of my wheels with a padlock. When I went to headquarters to pay to have it removed the officer said "they just want money". I know well enough to know not to ask who "they" are! Upon returning to the car the cop who unlocked us said I have to park 3m away from the next soi and I was only 2m!

It would only be a good thing if they did enforce all of the traffic laws but as mentioned they have neither the manpower or willpower to do this. The gangs of cops pulling people for not wearing a helmet are assigned that job for that day so they wont be interested in people jumping red lights etc. Seems that once they are assigned a task that's all they do. Most of us come from a society where policing is far more efficient and a traffic cop will enforce the law on anything you do wrong, not just a traffic offence.

I have noticed now that they are also pulling over cars with out seat belts..Still beats me how they do it I have seen them with four officers attending to helmet less riders and two just watching as other helmet less riders go by

i heard all this in feb and march,but i did not see much happening,maybe they are doing it now for more tea money.are they going to fine all the school run parents who have no helmets and up to 3 kids on the bike.everyday along the moat you can count them as they go by

Interesting if the traffic police will be ordered to first attend a internationally recognized police academy for 6 months or so to gain accreditation as a law enforcement officer.

From graduation, would selected officers then attend a traffic operations course?

The laws are there to be enforced but what we need are skilled, competent and ethical police officers to do their best to reduce the daily carnage and general madness on the roads.

I have heard other rumors too that indeed senior police have been directed to bring policing here into the 21st century, together with regulations on officer's behaviour and strict enforcement of laws.

Here's a question - why do we not see younger age police officers around the place? Many other countries seem to have far younger officers in uniform, yet here we usually see officers around 35-40 years and older.

There are signs up in Thai now saying the fine is up to 500B for no helmet. My girlfriend was furious she had to pay a backhander of 200B. I told her Thaksin is looking after his boys by putting the fines up. She scowled at me.

I saw some of the signs today but they say the 500thb only applies between March-May and after 6pm, no idea on the rest of the time????

Interesting if the traffic police will be ordered to first attend a internationally recognized police academy for 6 months or so to gain accreditation as a law enforcement officer.

From graduation, would selected officers then attend a traffic operations course?

The laws are there to be enforced but what we need are skilled, competent and ethical police officers to do their best to reduce the daily carnage and general madness on the roads.

I have heard other rumors too that indeed senior police have been directed to bring policing here into the 21st century, together with regulations on officer's behaviour and strict enforcement of laws.

Here's a question - why do we not see younger age police officers around the place? Many other countries seem to have far younger officers in uniform, yet here we usually see officers around 35-40 years and older.

I had to go to the license bureau today to renew my Thai drivers license. While I was waiting for my number to be called at the license bureau, I overheard this topic come up. One of the people in the group claimed to know one of the top police officials. She claimed this is no rumor and is in the planning stage right now.

According to her, there are plans to have a professional Police Academy that will professionalize the police department from top to bottom. Traffic enforcement will be a priority and she heard within five years, Chiang Mai roadways will no longer be dangerous. It seems like a lofty goal to me but I guess time will tell.

c m n r

re .. there are plans to have a professional Police Academy that will professionalize the police department from top to bottom. Traffic enforcement will be a priority

and heres the first one : )

dave2

post-42592-0-86624700-1333008790_thumb.j

c m n r

re .. there are plans to have a professional Police Academy that will professionalize the police department from top to bottom. Traffic enforcement will be a priority

and heres the first one : )

dave2

This is unbelievable that traffic enforcement has already started. I guess the police are really serious about this. Thanks for posting the photo.