BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
CMNightRider

Enforcing Traffic Laws?

today there was enforcement that all passengers wear helmets. northern part of the moat. fine 400 baht

Yeah, the weather's a little cooler, they can go outside now.

Speaking of "running stop lights" does anyone know if left turn on red is officially legal? Most people seem to do it. Must say always made sense to me, much like the US's "right turn on red" rules, but am not sure if it's legal here or not.

As to the rumour, sounds like more like a pipe dream...

Yes it is officially legal unless when there's a sign saying you cannot turn left when red.

I've been looking for a picture of this sign, but cannot find it online.

It's only in Thai and goes with a black arrow pointing left with a big fat red stripe trough it.

Speaking of "running stop lights" does anyone know if left turn on red is officially legal? Most people seem to do it. Must say always made sense to me, much like the US's "right turn on red" rules, but am not sure if it's legal here or not.

Yes it is officially legal unless when there's a sign saying you cannot turn left when red.

It's only in Thai and goes with a black arrow pointing left with a big fat red stripe trough it.

The signs don't always have the arrows. There are many with just Thai writing. It would be a good idea to remember what it looks like. Not everyone obeys the sign, and you could get notified by horn if you did observe the directions and someone behind you wants to turn.

MSPain

• Like 1

The signs don't always have the arrows. There are many with just Thai writing. It would be a good idea to remember what it looks like. Not everyone obeys the sign, and you could get notified by horn if you did observe the directions and someone behind you wants to turn.

MSPain

Yes, you're right. I should have written that some are accompanied with a black arrow with red stripe trough.

thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Just in case you were confused three times, Khun Vee, the reason I posted that is so someone doesn't think that if there is a sign without arrows that it is okay to turn anytime.

MSPain

Thanks to a reckless, speeding and blind motorcyclist, my daughter spent 6 hours in a police station getting to know Traffic Enforcement Laws.

Just in case you were confused three times, Khun Vee, the reason I posted that is so someone doesn't think that if there is a sign without arrows that it is okay to turn anytime.

MSPain

Not confused at all. Never!!! When I appear to be confused I'm actually thinking.

wai.gif

I was with a thai driver who did not turn left at a red light. Car behind him tooted the horn twice. After the 2nd toot the driver got out and pointed to the sign. He then got back in the car and waited for the lights to change. No more noise from the car behind. The girlfriend then explained what the sign was.]