Krabi Gang Hacks Off Tourist's Thumb In Bag Snatch

webfact

Phuket Area News: Gang hacks off tourist's thumb in bag snatch

Phuket Gazette

phuket-1-12760AmMKfZgRfYBTAAbufyYlYcYlgy.jpg

Police question one of the youngsters over the attack, which occurred just across the bay from Phuket. Photo: Warisa Temram

PHUKET: -- Krabi Police arrested three teenagers and one 20-year-old yesterday after a gang cut off a German woman’s thumb during an early-morning bag snatch in Krabi Town, across Phang-nga Bay from Phuket.

Muang District Police Deputy Superintendent Chatchawan Ninchan said Hanna Zerlaut and Sina Maureen Beckert, both 21, were attacked while walking along Chaofa Road in Tambon Paknam, Krabi Town, at about 2am on Sunday.

“The two women were walking along the street when ‘Dot’ and ‘Ae’ pulled up on a motorcycle to snatch the ladies’ bags, but the victims tried to fight them off.

“In the struggle Ms Zerlaut’s right thumb was cut off and Ms Beckert suffered cuts to her right arm and left index finger by a knife brandished by ‘Ae’,” said Lt Col Chatchawan.

Then the suspects rode off with their victims mobile phones and cameras, he said.

The women filed a complaint with the German Embassy, which sparked police action.

The four were arrested at their individual homes in Krabi Town two days later.

Lt Col Chatchawan named the gang members as Jirachai “Dot” Rattanathop, 18; Nattawut “Tum” Singhyoowong, 20; and “Ae” and “Mr B”, both 16.

Although he used fake nicknames to protect the identity of the two minors, Lt Col Chatchawan identified Ae as the gang’s leader.

“All four are Krabi residents. Each one was arrested in his respective home,” he said.

“In making the arrests, police seized two mobile phones, two digital cameras, handcuffs and some cash from Ae’s house. The items seized will be used as evidence,” he added.

The gang has apparently confessed to a slew of other robberies.

“Besides snatch thefts and robbery of several tourists, the gang stole motorcycles as well. Ae confessed that he had committed at least eight thefts in the past three months,” Lt Col Chatchawan said.

“They said they targeted foreign tourists because they do not know the area well. Then they sold the stolen items and spent the money,” he added.

“All of them have been charged with armed robbery and receiving stolen property,” Lt Col Chatchawan said.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...ticle12760.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-03-29

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, just reading again and these thugs are saying that they targetted foreign tourists because they didn't know the area well, yet they are all residents of Krabi. I spent 24 hours in Krabi and would say that I know it fairly well having found 2 markets, a hospital and the docks in 24 hours. What a crock of.....

• Like 1

Since when is Krabi Phuket varea?

Just sensationalist, should not be on the Phuket board.

Krabi is a few hours' drive from Phuket.

They have that wrong, for sure.

Bad rap for Phuket.

Edited by Zpete

Sorry, just reading again and these thugs are saying that they targetted foreign tourists because they didn't know the area well, yet they are all residents of Krabi. I spent 24 hours in Krabi and would say that I know it fairly well having found 2 markets, a hospital and the docks in 24 hours. What a crock of.....

The tourists didn't know the area well.

Thanks for that though, due to the poor writing skills of the journo, you can see how that sentence could be construed in either direction!

--EDIT--

Grammatical error

Edited by draftvader

Miracle Year of Amazing Thailand. This woman needs a miracle now and it is that these people get a fair sentence for this disgusting crime.

“All of them have been charged with armed robbery and receiving stolen property,” Lt Col Chatchawan said.

No charges for cutting off this poor woman's thumb? <deleted>?

Charges of intentionally causing serious injury, assault with a weapon and conduct endangering life might have been appropriate also. What is this receiving/handling stolen property? That is a charge used if a person receives from another, property that he/she knows to be or reasonably believes to be stolen. Did the victim steal the bag from someone else prior to the armed robbery? I think not.

"“In making the arrests, police seized two mobile phones, two digital cameras, handcuffs and some cash from Ae’s house."

What about the lady's thumb?

No mention of what happened to it. Was she able to retrieve it and get it stitched back on?

Not too good for tourism in such a small and yet high profile "peaceful" destination.

The sad thing is that there is very poor example for Thai youths from Thai officials when they condone and profit from crime themselves.

Unlikely that the police or courts will do anything to seriously deter and correct these young men. For a start they should add "Assault occassioning Grievous Bodily Harm" to the "Armed Robbery" charge.

• Like 1

I have been told that unless the witnesses are there to testify in court, the charges are dropped. I imagine the same will happen here. Arrested to satisfy German Embassy, period. Trial date? Safely after German girls go home.

• Like 1

The tourists didn't know the area well.

Thanks for that though, due to the poor writing skills of the journo, you can see how that sentence could be construed in either direction!

--EDIT--

Grammatical error

Are you a TEFL'er? Honestly?

Back on topic...“In making the arrests, police seized two mobile phones, two digital cameras, handcuffs and some cash from Ae’s house. The items seized will be used as evidence,”

No thumb found? I guess these punks will walk for lack of evidence. I mean the one that isn't a juvenile.The rest will already be home with a letter for their parents.

I have been told that unless the witnesses are there to testify in court, the charges are dropped. I imagine the same will happen here. Arrested to satisfy German Embassy, period. Trial date? Safely after German girls go home.

In a lot of societies like Australia for instance, the prosecution will want a conviction in a serious crime such as this and that requires the victim and key witnesses to be available. The prosection would accomadate the victim in the country and bare the costs and take care of visa requirements. The court could even make an order at the request of the prosection that immigration extend a visa. But hey Australia is a different society.

• Like 2

I think the era of Safe thailand is over now ...dangerous roads , tourists attack , robery etc ..etc ... the list is long !! I remember 20 years ago was safe to walk anywhere anytime ..now it seems its not ..tourists must be careful.

It's low season <deleted>.... it's not any more dangerous. Non-locals have been laid off from the hospitality business and chose to augment their 'tropical' lifestyles rather than go home and plant rice. Similarly, there's less 'good news' stories for the hacks to pursue so crime, particularly crime against foreigners suddenly increases to fill copy space.

what would have happened if the women had complaint at "a" policestation is far more interesting.

when an embassy calls...it takes a snap of the fingers to catch the lot

when I....I speak for myself.....when I complain..........."I got it all wrong" "don't understand" "anybody dead ?" and "get a lawyer".

Then when I got a lawyer.......the story ends...you dont want to know ,except the NK court has a 6 months waitinglist.

Oh well........T.I.T.

And judging by the body language of the people in the picture the police officers are really very sympathetic to the accused. They are listening to his bullshit with intense and are ready to help him through this ordeal caused by the foreign conspiracy and unnecessary meddling in the local matters by some big foreign embassy. When will these awful foreigners realize Thailand doesn't want them here and stop coming???

• Like 1

I think the era of Safe thailand is over now ...dangerous roads , tourists attack , robery etc ..etc ... the list is long !! I remember 20 years ago was safe to walk anywhere anytime ..now it seems its not ..tourists must be careful.

20 years ago you didn't have access to every piece of news immediately after it happened. I doubt much has changed.

One member of Krabi Police who had been interviewed, but asked not to be named, stated, that the police had to take action against the gang this time, because it is not tolerable, that tourists are being injured during a mugging. This will not only hurt the reputation of Krabi as a tourist spot, the police will also be depicted in a bad light, and possibly face a loss of income.

Since when is Krabi Phuket area?

Just sensationalist, should not be on the Phuket board.

Ah, just see it has been moved, excellent.

You're fully right! Phuket has already its big share of evil things and bad reputation. Time to concentrate on the rest of Thailand to keep up the balance!

In a lot of societies like Australia for instance, the prosecution will want a conviction in a serious crime such as this and that requires the victim and key witnesses to be available. The prosection would accomadate the victim in the country and bare the costs and take care of visa requirements. The court could even make an order at the request of the prosection that immigration extend a visa. But hey Australia is a different society.

ROFL

In Thailand police will not even enforce a court issued criminal warrant for an arrest unless they are paid to by the person who will benefit to make the arrest and also to pay the travelling costs and 'Expenses' of the police to accompany the victim to the court / prison. I know from first hand experience. Fat chance of them paying the expenses of the witnesses from abroad - ROFL

Then many times when the case is at the Prosecutor's Office the Chief Prosecutor will need to be bribed not to throw the case out. Quite often the Prosecutor will not even turn up to prosecute unless the person prosecuting has paid him - that is why the Prosecutors are mostly quite rich with assets way beyond their legitimate means.

It is a weird system and 'Justice System' is just a misnomer along with "Royal" Thai Police - there is nothing remotely Royal about them as they serve themselves not the country!

No charges for cutting off this poor woman's thumb? <deleted>?

And knife wounds to the other lady's arm? At least it is assault with a deadly weapon, could be attempted murder.

Edited by unanimosity