Building A Pond

Gary A

I want to have a one rai pond dug. A local expat looked at the ground and told me that I would be wasting my money if I didn't put in a liner. He couldn't give me any information where to buy or price a liner. 1,600 square meters of lining material will probably be more than I want to spend. I researched this on the net and found information that bentonite could be used rather than an actual liner. Now the question is where do I buy a large quantity of that and how much would it cost? I really don't know how the Frenchman can tell without actually digging a hole and testing the soil. Does the Thai government do testing for people who want a fish pond?

What do the locals have to say? They should have a pretty good clue if it's a good location to hold water. If it can't fill and hold water naturally after a few rainy seasons I wouldn't bother. I thinkk you'd be wasting money if you had it dug and put in a liner or some type of sealant.

The locals are not much help. They say we have to try and see. They think it will hold enough water to help with a second crop but no one wants to say if it will hold water year round and be suitable for fish.

What scared me is that there is a pond about 4 meters deep a couple of kilometers away that fills up about half way then is dry again within a few months.

What do the locals have to say? They should have a pretty good clue if it's a good location to hold water. If it can't fill and hold water naturally after a few rainy seasons I wouldn't bother. I thinkk you'd be wasting money if you had it dug and put in a liner or some type of sealant.