Pollution Puts Chiang Mai Off The Tourist Trail

webfact

Thailand: pollution puts Chiang Mai off the tourist trail

Authorities in Thailand must act to stop the perennial problem of pollution in the backpacker town, says Chris Coplans.

By Chris Coplans

CHIANG MAI: -- As we strolled though the Sunday night market in the northern Thai city of Chiang Mai, we were confronted by a group of masked demonstrators waving banners and shouting slogans. Fears that they might be "Red Shirts" protesters, who paralysed much of Bangkok last year, were soon allayed: they were residents protesting about air pollution, and I was tempted to join in.

Pollution is nothing new in this part of Thailand. Every year, between February and April, "slash-and-burn" farming in the surrounding countryside, whereby forests are destroyed to create fields, fills the air with smoke. In more than 20 years of visiting Chiang Mai, however, I have never see the pollution as bad as it was last week.

Hospitals have been inundated with cases of respiratory problems. Within 24 hours of my arrival I had a sore throat, and after cycling around the old city my eyes were streaming. [more...]

Full story: http://www.telegraph...rist-trail.html

-- Telegraph 2012-03-31

footer_n.gif

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's getting worse day by day unfortunately, the other night there were police with lights slowing down traffic because of poor visibility., you can't ride with out a mask or eye protection, breathing has become a real issue... but life goes on,my neighbor just burnt his pile of leaves again, minutes after telling me how bad the air was....

• Like 2

It's getting worse day by day unfortunately, the other night there were police with lights slowing down traffic because of poor visibility., you can't ride with out a mask or eye protection, breathing has become a real issue... but life goes on,my neighbor just burnt his pile of leaves again, minutes after telling me how bad the air was....

isn't that just so deliciously Thai ? I luuuuv it

• Like 2

same-same here in Laos, unfortunately....... here in Luang Prabang it's getting really bad, I had to pull off the road a few times on my 'cycle yesterday just to clear my eyes.

CM and all of northern Thailand has to get a grip on this situation, I hear Chiang Rai is even worse!

How is that possible that, still until today, farmers in the North and Nort East of Thailand continue unhindered to burn their paddy-fields. Just drive through the countryside and you can see it everyday; in happens in front of you! And police is meanwhile driving by... Don't blame all the time the hill tribes (soon 2 million will soon be moved to lower farmland according to study groups) or the Burmese at the other side of the border with their uncontrolled bush-fires, but start sweeping your own door FIRST before blaming te others. STOP BURNING THE DRY RICE FIELDS!!!!

How long it will take before the farang barbeques in the many backpack-town-guesthouses will be blamed for this air pollution?

Tourism down... som nam na... red shirt-farmers being very familiar with burning things! Khun Yingluck: wake up!

• Like 1

You would think with all these spare Generals floating around a few could be sent up north to sort this out, let them pocket and keep the fines, that should make them keen on the task.

• Like 1

same-same here in Laos, unfortunately....... here in Luang Prabang it's getting really bad, I had to pull off the road a few times on my 'cycle yesterday just to clear my eyes.

CM and all of northern Thailand has to get a grip on this situation, I hear Chiang Rai is even worse!

You should take the road from Vang Vieng to Luang Prabang: everywhere fire, everywhere forest is burning: deliberatey by Hmong hilltribes: slash and burn. It's a nightmare! Lao police isn't doing anything, Government even less (40% of the Lao population is Hmong)... I have photographic evidence...

Authorities in Thailand must act to stop the perennial problem of pollution in the backpacker town, says Chris Coplans.

lol back packer town...

I think journalist Coplans' parachute is showing.

Edited by rorr

The reason it is getting worse is that nobody gives a dam_n about anybody else but themselves. I see scum throwing their garbage over a fence on some one elses fenced off property, or along the road when one one is looking. I see the blue refuse trucks dumping their waste into lowland areas in semi isolate areas or staning water or roads when nobody is looking. It's the same with the driving and on and one and on.

This is the hub of laws that are not enforced. There are burning bans etc etc etc. on the books. Nobody enforces them, the penalty doesn't correct them, and on it goes.

Politicians from the top as crooked as they get. Lower level managers bilking the people in some way. Low lifes stealing from houses, campuses, tourists.The only time anythings was done about the burning was some time ago when National Geo wrote about the problem, so the super duper people that run Chiangmai and the rest Thailand were worried they wouldn't get anymore tourist money. It lasted a few weeks, then back to normal. They have a next to nothing healthcare for all people, so low cost or free care. Why bother about the air pollution; however, they will complain when their benefits and quality of living goes down because something has to pay for the problems caused the country.

Everyone has to look the other way or move because nothing will ever be done, just talk. The great hub of hubs in the world. May your lungs rest in peace!

Until the police are reformed, nothing will happen. Can't enforce laws with corrupt police.

I really wanted to retire in CM. But due to the air problems, decided not to. Live by the sea instead. And even here, the burning is horrible. Saw a field being burned today 100M from a very large police station.

Not sure if this would work for Thai's but I personally separate my waste, recycle is the key to lessen the pollution. First is to get the education system here in Thailand to do research, let the University's give AWARDS to student whom can provide a proto type of reducing burning as a means to rid the farm land of bi products of rice production!

I educate myself and use the product EM... Below is a link the government official should read or follow links to Thai versions..

http://www.emearth.com/ another link http://www.naturefarm.co.nz/

Zero Wastes Recycling jimsabine.jpg

spacer3.gif The co-founders of Emerald Earth, James McMath and Sabine Steinhardt, are very excited about the enormous recycling opportunities that this new EM® Technology™ offers. James writes, "More than ever, it's time for these microscopic beings to do their magic on the Earth again! This is an incredible new technology that naturally cleans the environment without any negative side-effects. That's because it's the same technology that nature has been using for billions of years. The breakthrough is that we've learned to partner closer with nature. With Effective Microorganisms®, wastes will become a thing of the past. Virtually anything and everything can now be recycled to produce biofuels, organic foods, recycled water, non-toxic fertilizers, natural building materials, and a host of other sustainable byproducts. When I first learned of EM® many years ago, I often commented that this was 'the most important scientific discovery ever.' Today, I believe this to be true - more than ever.

I trust this information will be helpful to you and may lead to solving this air/ground pollution.

Ahh yes, everything revolves around tourists especially backpackers - NOT.

Has anyone actually considered why it is done? Has any one seen how well it is staggered? Has anyone thought what would happen if the underbrush was allowed to thrive year after year?

If you have a solution you enviro-genii,

I am sure we would all love to hear it - go on, I am waiting with my face mask on for your pearls of wisdom...

• Like 1

The reason it is getting worse is that nobody gives a dam_n about anybody else but themselves. I see scum throwing their garbage over a fence on some one elses fenced off property, or along the road when one one is looking. I see the blue refuse trucks dumping their waste into lowland areas in semi isolate areas or staning water or roads when nobody is looking. It's the same with the driving and on and one and on.

This is the hub of laws that are not enforced. There are burning bans etc etc etc. on the books. Nobody enforces them, the penalty doesn't correct them, and on it goes.

Politicians from the top as crooked as they get. Lower level managers bilking the people in some way. Low lifes stealing from houses, campuses, tourists.The only time anythings was done about the burning was some time ago when National Geo wrote about the problem, so the super duper people that run Chiangmai and the rest Thailand were worried they wouldn't get anymore tourist money. It lasted a few weeks, then back to normal. They have a next to nothing healthcare for all people, so low cost or free care. Why bother about the air pollution; however, they will complain when their benefits and quality of living goes down because something has to pay for the problems caused the country.

Everyone has to look the other way or move because nothing will ever be done, just talk. The great hub of hubs in the world. May your lungs rest in peace!

Until the police are reformed, nothing will happen. Can't enforce laws with corrupt police.

I really wanted to retire in CM. But due to the air problems, decided not to. Live by the sea instead. And even here, the burning is horrible. Saw a field being burned today 100M from a very large police station.

LOS is a lawless country and when there are they are (over)ruled by money

I have a good friend that smokes 2 packs a day. Yesterday the smoke was seemingly worse than in many days. He started to bitch about how sh*tty the air is. I just had to laugh. My question is how many complainers on this forum smoke cancer sticks and complain about the air. Yes the air is pretty pretty bad. In a matter of a few weeks more or less the rains will come and things will be back to the abnormal normal.

Hang in there

Sorry can"t answer your question,but I smoke like a chimney and have suffered no ill effects from the bad air quality.maybe something in my genes.

Arrived back in Chiangmai start of March, after a month in UK…Stayed a few days and left, (Wheezing and spluttering) I’m down south now…Not great but better.

I like where I live in Mae Taeng, just north of Chiangmai, but I will give it one more season, 2012/13. If there is no effort/improvement…. No point bitching, live with it or leave. Any input by a farang will be just met with resistance.…………. Life’s too short!

• Like 1

After being away for several months, I have just arrived back to my village in Nakhon Sawan. I am astounded at how bad the air is here, and yes, everyone is burning off. Picking up from some posts above ... I amazed at how ...

F***ING STUPID they are. If not burning off piles of mango leaves, whatever, the neighbours are firing up in the morning, to smoke some sort of food I guess. From my balcony, there he was, actually trying to create smoke! ... so I had to bring in my washing, and close the doors and windows on that side. Only possible upstairs. My ground floor work room just sucks it all in through the 'ventilation' grooves. There is nothing worth breathing between Nakhon Sawan and Bkk. Cripes it must be bad up there in the North. .. as for the fierlds, yes burning burning burning, crops stubs as well as buring heaps of rubbish. No wonder these country fools accept the bullshit of Shinawatra.

• Like 1

reminds me of that Green Day song, 'welcome to paradise'

actually it is pretty close to paradise here in phuket, a bit hot for my liking but the air is clear as... , well air

Well thanks for sharing that with us, i hope a wave doesn't hit ya...

Farmers here in Isaan have been burning their rice fields this time of year for generations. The pollution situation is sort of like the appreciation of an airport. In the beginning, it is welcomed and utilized by those living around near by. Then over time, after more and more new homes and businesses pop up around it, people begin complaining and whining about the noise from overflying aircraft.

Riding through the little ville of Ban Nong Sai, I saw the 'municipal' workers raking up leaves and trash from the street gutters into piles and lighting them afire. Too bad they couldn't have added them to the trash trucks.

I have a good friend that smokes 2 packs a day. Yesterday the smoke was seemingly worse than in many days. He started to bitch about how sh*tty the air is. I just had to laugh. My question is how many complainers on this forum smoke cancer sticks and complain about the air. Yes the air is pretty pretty bad. In a matter of a few weeks more or less the rains will come and things will be back to the abnormal normal.

Hang in there

Sorry can"t answer your question,but I smoke like a chimney and have suffered no ill effects from the bad air quality.maybe something in my genes.

Whatever it is you have, you can rest assured it is not in your genes. But you will find out soon enough.