'Speaker' Vans

udonguy

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of my few great dislikes with our city.

I do somewhat follow your thinking KRS1.

Some thoughts I've had

Arnold got back and stepped out in front of one of these speaker trucks with that sawed off grenade launcher and blows the speakers off the truck.

Hiding in a taller building somewhere when these trucks come by and have some type of laser that can burn out all the electronics on the speaker trucks.... just fry them.

....and even if you speak Thai and can't understand one truck, what about when they run 3 and 4 in a row ...... no one can possibly understand anything at all

Yes its noise pollution but lets face it ..... somebody in a big seat is making money out of it.

While we are at it ...... would also like to laser all the yabos who have got to put the biggest speakers with the blasting base in their vehicles..... then have to lower the windows so you can hear/feel itheir most wonderful music, a block away....Maybe they lower the windows because it hurts their ears with the windows closed.

Try shoving a couple of handfuls of sand through the open windows as they pass you.

well I am on the 11th floor and I have the 'pleasure' of listening to those things everyday, it's just ridiculous, and until some big person (as they call them here) gets his/her life disturbed I suppose we will have to endure it

ahhhh here they go it's just after 8am on a peaceful Sunday and they're at it again... where's the RPG?

Imagine a sizeable stone dropping from the 11th floor on some loudspeakers on a car somewhere.

Noise pollution of any kind I find very annoying. Speaker vans and Harley Davidson motorbikes top my list of serious offenders..

Ill take speaker vans over stupid, loud motorcycles any day of the week.

Not me. Although stupid, loud motorcycles can occasionally scare the bejesus out of you, they're gone before you know it. The speaker vans spew their monotonous inane drivel at 5km/h, so can unnecessarily pollute your life much more than stupid, loud motorcycles.

The sound of a gutsy motorbike can be a joy to the ears :P (imo) However, not pieces of motorized tin with the muffler removed..those deserve to be set on fire. Oh no, that would add to the polluted air. Hmm between air pollution and noise pollution, may as well just stay in bed.

Picture night time in a remote village in Isaan: you can put up with the gently whirring background noise of the fan, the train hooting when it comes through at 4 o'clock in the morning, which wakes up the dogs of course. An hour later, at the most, cockerels start, how romantic. 6 o'clock: for some reason the village head decides to make an announcement , so you get 10 minutes of 'music' then an announcement so garbled by the bad sound system that even my wife can't understand it (kids have a sports day or something like that). I can PUT UP WITH THAT, somehow it is a part of village life. But what's this exotic delight? yes, a speaker van just what I needed.

I used to meditate in the mornings, not since I got here. I also intend to die here. I can just imagine some poor sod that has had a bad night at last drifting off to sleep, maybe never to wake again, being jolted into a discomforted state of alertness, or in my case something akin to hate I should think, not cool.

Several thoughts come to mind: mounting loudspeakers down on the road and blasting the misguided sod making the noise out of his seat with the most unpleasant noise known to man, feedback. I have to not only look at insulating the house against heat but also against noise.

I can't insulate it against stupidity, I think the Thais think that it is modern and therefore 'cool'. Never lose face by showing that maybe you don't like modern stuff. You have to live in a village to understand this mentality,

I think you can do something about it in a village, same as I can do something about the ugly, mad, nymphomaniac, drunk old bitch next door that was poisoning dogs. It involves distributing money in the right places and being ready for violence or threats.

Can't do that in a town of course.

I am quite a happy person usually!

• Like 1

Not me. Although stupid, loud motorcycles can occasionally scare the bejesus out of you, they're gone before you know it.

Not when you're waiting at a red light ... that can subject you to up to 10 mins of stupid loud rev...rev...rev...by the idiot owner of the HD....

Not me. Although stupid, loud motorcycles can occasionally scare the bejesus out of you, they're gone before you know it.

Not when you're waiting at a red light ... that can subject you to up to 10 mins of stupid loud rev...rev...rev...by the idiot owner of the HD....

I must say I hate HDs too - normally old farts on BIG, BIG bikes recalling their youth of 100 years ago - look silly in my view and the noise they make? it's just:

Brrooom Brrooom look at me, a silly ancient fart on my BIG, BIG HD (translated as 'I'm rich', I'm old' and I have a 'small d**k')

I must say I hate HDs too - normally old farts on BIG, BIG bikes recalling their youth of 100 years ago - look silly in my view and the noise they make? it's just:

Brrooom Brrooom look at me, a silly ancient fart on my BIG, BIG HD (translated as 'I'm rich', I'm old' and I have a 'small d**k')

Agree totally especially about the 'small d**k'.....

ever notice that the sound trucks go into hiding when the water throwers are out......yea for Songkran

an after thought..... what would a bucket of water thrown right into a speaker do to it........make it gargle ????

Edited by Gonzo the Face
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Curious, have you folks noticed a drop off in these noisy vans over the last month of so? Have just decided to be nice to me and go bug other neighbourhoods? Or have I become so adapted I don't hear them anymore?

Curious, have you folks noticed a drop off in these noisy vans over the last month of so? Have just decided to be nice to me and go bug other neighbourhoods? Or have I become so adapted I don't hear them anymore?

After Songkran its a holiday period for many street vendors so you can bet they'll be back, soon.

Living down south was a real PITA with the muzzy prayers and daily news broadcasts! God love 'em though ... salt of the earth Thai Muslim families.

Out in the burbs,15klms.north see a lot less than you people talk about,the ice cream man's fine by me if he doesn't advertise how will I know when he's coming?You've got to love the city life.

Out in the burbs,15klms.north see a lot less than you people talk about,the ice cream man's fine by me if he doesn't advertise how will I know when he's coming?You've got to love the city life.

Ah, the sound of the ice cream truck This is the same tune they played when I was growing up in southern Ontario in olden days. I really need ice cream, be right back...tongue.png

Edited by DowntownAl

The iconic ice cream van tune in Yorkshire when I was a lad; was the theme to "match of the day" but the tune "Hitler has only got one ball...the other is in...." was also common.

Mother used to send me out to join a queue with a glass bowl with instructions for 4 scoops to fill it so the family could share.

The number of times I ran back excited, tripped fell and ended up with grass in it. Happy days,

The iconic ice cream van tune in Yorkshire when I was a lad; was the theme to "match of the day" but the tune "Hitler has only got one ball...the other is in...." was also common.

Mother used to send me out to join a queue with a glass bowl with instructions for 4 scoops to fill it so the family could share.

The number of times I ran back excited, tripped fell and ended up with grass in it. Happy days,

Know that experience well :D If extra lucky would get some half flakes too. Felt like winning the lottery at the time..haha.

How many times did you get away with that one before your mother sussed you out???? rolleyes.gif

Know that experience well biggrin.png If extra lucky would get some half flakes too. Felt like winning the lottery at the time..haha.

Are you older than WE think young lady ? smile.png

I guess so. Mostly been thought of as younger than my age it seems.

A friend of mine recently suggested that i should have no problem getting an 18-30 working visa for period of time in another country.

I guess she failed to realise that i last saw 30 nearly 10 year ago.

Diet and exercise and a healthy mind. Nothing new there.

Although, when im patronized by people who are similar to my age or younger than me, talking down to me like im naive, thats a tad annoying.

Since my accident though, not feeling or looking so great, but a bit of time and good spirits (or a 99'er maybe!) can do wonders im sure.. i hope!!

Edited by eek

I guess so. Mostly been thought of as younger than my age it seems.

A friend of mine recently suggested that i should have no problem getting an 18-30 working visa for period of time in another country.

I guess she failed to realise that i last saw 30 nearly 10 year ago.

Diet and exercise and a healthy mind. Nothing new there.

Although, when im patronized by people who are similar to my age or younger than me, talking down to me like im naive, thats a tad annoying.

Since my accident though, not feeling or looking so great, but a bit of time and good spirits (or a 99'er maybe!) can do wonders im sure.. i hope!!

eek, with all due respect and utmost delicacy , pray tell what is a 99'er,,,,,,,, is that something new in sexual positioning?????

rolleyes.gif1zgarz5.gif