How To Kill Time At Suvarnabhumi Airport

Helppppppppppppppppppppp

No matter what I try for my next trip I cant get less than a 6 hour stop over in suvarnabhumi airport sad.png

I fly from Dublin to Abu Dhabi then on to Bangkok then Chiang Rai with Etihad.

Anyone got any other carrier suggestions or any idea how bad Swampy is for that amount of time?

On every other trip I never stayed in the airport longer than an hour and after 16 hours flying the last thing

I need is 6 hours of soul destroying time wasting in the airport with nothing to do.

If I don't fly direct I can jump an earlier flight from Bangkok but then I risk getting screwed if my first flights are delayed as it will be a separate booking for the Chiang Rai flight and I will have to offload bags rather than direct all the way.

For the pleasure of waiting in the airport its also costing me €1200 return in June :(

Any help is appreciated

Edited by Davedm1971

Unlike Changi, Swampy is not a place I'd want to hang around for 6 hours, 2 hours waiting for my international flight is more than enough.

Who is your carrier BKK - CNX? If they have multiple flights per day you may be able to get on an earlier one. Are you able to get your hold baggage checked right through to CNX?

If you want to go into town you obviously need to pass through immigration at BKK, recent reports suggest this could well use up a significant portion of your 6 hours :(

If you could share more details re: your actual itinerary: airlines, class of service, day of week, time of day, etc. I think you might receive more valuable information?

Are you able to check your bags through to CEI? Will be able to get your BKK-CEI boarding card issued in either DUB or AUH?

Or you could choose to check your bags to BKK, retrieve them and try to stand by for an earlier flight.

Without a lot more detail your options include remaining at the airport or venturing outside the airport, either all the way into the city or even just to a nearby mall.

I think BKK is one of the better places to spend time if you are in the terminal and not airside.

Some nice food and drinks in the food hall on the ground floor.

Can get tins of beer at reasonable prises on the - is it 3rd or 4th floor convinience store.

Opportunity to wander outside on almost all floors.

6 hours isn't long by the time you clear immigration, check in, have to go through security an hour before the flight.

(PS, where has the spell checker gone?)

Fly with some airline that has a lounge. Thai air and Bangkok Air both offer lounges for traveling customers. Using their lounge sure helps pass the time. They have free drinks and goodies and offer free internet. I sure beats sitting on those cold steel bench seats for hours... or paying tor over priced drinks and food. The only other option is having a good book to read.

There is a P4P business lounge downside, I think might be run by Louis Tavern.

Overpriced (fast)food for a meal

Get a Thai Sim and an Internet package (DTAC could be as low as B100 total for 10hrs+sim)

Read

Buy a 750ML of good scotch and drink up

There is a little known place to get cheap beer, downside at the book/mag store - get drunk

CAT Internet kiosks located inside gates

Pick your nose and stare at the walls

Listen to your iPod

Play some games and/or watch a movie on your PC

Sleep

*There is an Internet "Cafe" I think run by CAT on the downside, it's horribly expensive. There is also one outside, in corner, right side check-in level.

Go get a "massage" in Huay Kwang - but me, I would not want to hassle the lines returning, some reports are hours.

Edited by bangkokburning

Get a massage from the massage place on the air side.

Find the lazy boy reclining chairs under the main concourse and have a nap.

There is free wifi but you have to register somewhere but I'm not sure where that is.

Get a Burger King or Subway.

I quite like this airport, not been to a better one.

Airport sucks. Dated before it was built. Reminds me of an 80s minimalist disco. Lighting is harsh, nowhere to relax, gates are crowded, security is tedious and always disorganized. Alcohol is most expensive in the region. No free Wifi. What's to like? Really - what is there to like about this white elephant?

Seoul

Hong Kong

Singapore

• Like 2

For about 550 Baht i booked The Queens Garden Hotel close by the airport, there is a free shuttle and its only 5 mins away. Im going to be checking in for a few hours to get cleaned up before my onward travel in Thailand in a few weeks. Booked it with Agoda.

The price is for a night but im sure its the same if you just want a few hours rest and a shower or even a ST lol.

I spend couple of nights in Swampy,LouisTaverna is overpriced.

If you are tired after your flights you will find very comfortable sofas in public areas.

During daytime - they are empty.

So,lie down and rest.

Bring good book or magazines and read;there are bookshops there.

"bangkokburning" gave you good idea about internet: before you travel -

buy DTAC internet sim card.Stick it into your smartofon or 3G dongle and

enjoy internet.

Free wi-fi available from info kiosk do not work at all,waste of time -

but interesting experience:they will register you with your passport for this precious 15 mins,

which will not come,wi-fi card with password you can keep as souvenir.

Other internet options are expensive - much of consumption in one of coffeshops(and they will disconnect you

if your time limit passes - buy mor beer!) - min:200B

TOT internet cafe(no cafe) - 10 or 15 mins:100B

paid wi-fi - very expensive.

So,DTAC sim is the only way to go.You will have time to do all your emails and write some posts here?

It is possible to find power sockets here and there(near sofas!).

cheers!

licklips.gif Got your computer or other Wifi device with you?

Of course you do, Type A's can't travel without immediate access to the outside world. Go, go, go...and don't fall behind the crowd.

On the third floor there's a Starbucks (with the usual overpriced coffee) and Wifi access.

You type A people are always so in need of doing something "productive"; so you can access your email and in that way validate your assumed self-importance by keeping yourself "in the loop" .

Starbucks is open 24 hours a day, so it's always there when you arrive.

But also there is a place at Suvarnabhumi called "Louie's Tavern"...up on the fourth floor I believe...where if you feel the need you can get a room for 6 hours to get a short nap, a shower, and change of clothes.

I think it's expensive at (about) 2500 baht for 6 hours.....but if that's what you want, it's there .

They have a dayroom available too, where you can also "catch up" on your email.

There are other Thai, Chinese, and Japanese food places on the 2nd and 3rd floors also if you take the time to look.

Also, some of the business class lounges allow you to pay for a short use...even if you didn't fly business class. Depends on the airline.

So you won't have to spend 6 "soul-destroying" hours being non-productive.

Remember....you have to keep running or you might miss something. Go,go,go.

giggle.gif

• Like 2

To the OP, do you want to save time or do you want to save money ? You saiy you pay a 1200 Euro round trip , right ?

First off, I just checked Ethihad Dublin to BKK plus return, within a 4 wek spell in June, it can be had for 822,78 Euros.

This leaves you with near 400 Euro saved ! For this money you can rent a TAXI to Chiang Rai for about 4500 BAHT ( 110 EURO) or take the VIP bus from Northern Bus terminal for 500 cheap.

I don't know why you would want to pay 16,000 Baht for a return flight BKK to Chiang Rai, when it can be done for a lot less. Maybe you should get yourself organized a bit better . . . all is there, online ! And . . this plan includes no time waiting on anything - you keep yerself in "flow motion" !

I just checked, Nok Air does it from Don Muang plus return for 2889 BAHT, and Air Aisa for 3400 BAHT from Subvarnabhumi. All included return.

There is something in the OP plans that just doesn t fit in - the price he gets charged for a return flight BKK-Chiang Rai , and probably the dates.

There s a website showing some options, and they link directly to the airlines involved

http://www.domesticflightsthailand.com/BangkoktoChiangRai.htm

Maybe the OP can adjust his schedule and save some on the price !

I just checked, Nok Air does it from Don Muang plus return for 2889 BAHT, and Air Aisa for 3400 BAHT from Subvarnabhumi. All included return.

There is something in the OP plans that just doesn t fit in - the price he gets charged for a return flight BKK-Chiang Rai , and probably the dates.

There s a website showing some options, and they link directly to the airlines involved

http://www.domesticflightsthailand.com/BangkoktoChiangRai.htm

Maybe the OP can adjust his schedule and save some on the price !

Unfortunately dates are non negotiable due to work commitments.i can get an earlier flight to Rai but it would mean offloading and collecting baggage and re checking in. etihad are the only airline from Dublin that fly direct baggage to Rai. Also if I don't book as the package I run the risk of missing the connection and because it wasn't done by the same transaction I would lose the flight and have to pay again

Simple really