How To Kill Time At Suvarnabhumi Airport

To the OP, do you want to save time or do you want to save money ? You saiy you pay a 1200 Euro round trip , right ?

First off, I just checked Ethihad Dublin to BKK plus return, within a 4 wek spell in June, it can be had for 822,78 Euros.

This leaves you with near 400 Euro saved ! For this money you can rent a TAXI to Chiang Rai for about 4500 BAHT ( 110 EURO) or take the VIP bus from Northern Bus terminal for 500 cheap.

I don't know why you would want to pay 16,000 Baht for a return flight BKK to Chiang Rai, when it can be done for a lot less. Maybe you should get yourself organized a bit better . . . all is there, online ! And . . this plan includes no time waiting on anything - you keep yerself in "flow motion" !

Got it for €1025 in the end with the 6 hr stopover. I am perfectly well organised mate.why would I want to do a marathon drive across country for almost the same price as the flight and how would driving save me time. Your suggestion makes no sense.

Edited by Davedm1971

Ok, for 1025 Euros return, my earlier suggestion become obsolete. Not to have to pick up baggage and recheck is the most comfortable and recommendable way. The savings against a less convenient way are minimal if you choose a different carrier.

I crosschecked and picked a random date in June on the Ethihad and found a return flight for 923.- Euros Dublin-Chiang Mai. I could not find a direct link to Chiang Rai on the Ethihad site, however.

The 6 hour wait I would spend it over a beer or two and read a good book. Also maybe a short nap will get you through the wait really quick. 6 hours may feel being relatively long when imagined, but in reality can pass in a flurry.

Wish you a nice and safe trip !

• 2 weeks later...

You can still go through immigration get your visa and know there are never any queues going back through domestic departures, so you get the benefits of what's on offer outside the airport and have your bags checked through anyway. w00t.gif

If I kicked you in the <deleted> then stomped on your foot would it make you feel better about your balls.. .?

I think not so telling me there is a worse airport is absolutely no help with my issue 555 I still need to kill 6 hours.

• Like 1

Well I suddenly have the same problem!

Landing around 7am as usual and booked connecting flight with Thai Airways to Udon Thani TG001 leaving 09.20.

TG001 rescheduled as of 15 May leaving BKK at 07.05.

Checking on Air Asia found out their 11.00 AM is no more.

Next TG leaves at 14.00.

OK, There is a NOK Air Leaving Dong Muang at 09.50, requires a taxi after exiting immigration, possible to make it but risky as compared to the easy task to travel two floors up and check in at Thai.

It is unfortunate for connecting passengers that NOK moved back to DM, they have 5 flights/day to Udon Thani which are of no use for me.

If I stick to the next TG flight I will have 7 hours to kill, at 8am getting a ride down town to do what, nothing is open until after 10, and needing a ride back at noon.

I don't fancy taking a ride to Dong Muang shuffeling my luggage, probably 50kgs btw.

Edited by tartempion

TG *might* let you check in your baggage for the 1400 flight even at 0800, since that's the next flight out. If, however, they don't, I think it's B100 to leave a bag at "left baggage" counter on the departures level and then you could take the ARL train in to downtown unencumbered by baggage. Maybe have a late breakfast/early lunch and/or a massage or shopping?

To the people bitching up about swampy have you spent time at ninoy Aquino int Manila?? Then you've got something to moan up about because that is one shit hole of an airport

Typical lame excuse from a Thai apologist with his head up his arse.

Ninoy Aquino terminal was opened in 1981.

BKK was opened in 2006 , i.e. 25 years after Ninoy Aquino, and you still want to compare them ?

You ought to be ashamed of yourself intellectually .

Never heard of Etihad flying to CEI, guess they must be transferring you to TG???

Security queues for domestic flights are very quick so you could exit the airport and come back in later. Take the airport link to anywhere along the line that takes your fancy - no need to go all the way to Phaya Thai if you just want to kill some time, although admittedly I'm not sure what there is of interest near any of the other stations so you'd need to do a bit of research. Probably not worth going all the way to Phaya Thai and then a BTS station beyond there.

• 5 months later...

If this is your first wait at Suvarnabhumi airport, then I advise staying in the airport and discovering the place.

Even getting out through immigration, and then getting in again is worth the learning experience.

Once you have obtained a visa on arrival, and gone out through immigration, do not no wander far, stay at the airport.

Find out how the arrival and departure levels are organized i.e. level-2 and level-4 respectively.

Check out the left luggage service in level-2, and the rates: Baht 200 for s suitcase for 24hrs.

Check out the mobile phone vendors, restaurants etc.

Check out the taxi gate, and taxi help service.

Go to the basement, and check out the MRT /train service to the city.

Find the bank that offers the best exchange rate: Kasikorn Bank

Get in thru immigration: level-4, and walk up and down the length of the airport.

Find the food shoops, and more options on level-3

Go down to level-2, and then come to level-4 again: Learn the security gates and how to minimise the hassle at the security checks.

Tip: put your mobile phone and any metal object in your bag. If you can walk in without a buzz, then you have done it.

If however the buzzer goes off, you will be playing strip-tease until you can walk in without the buzzer going off.

In spite of all its looks, Suvarnabhumi is not Changi, Singapore. Learn the airport well, so you can do more with your stop-overs in future.

You will feel safer going into town, once you know the airport better.

There is some worthwhile shopping inside Suvarnabhumi. Try the Watson drug store for personal items.

You will be paying a lot more for similar lotions etc. at the King Power stores. Perfumes etc are good purchases at Suvarnabhumi.

Leather items are good, but check the price tag, and then ask for the final price after discount. If you need a leather item, buy it if the price is right.

Once you are ready to venture out of the airport do not limit yourself to the girlies. Consider dental services, medical services, and the wonderful tailoring services on offer.

Six hours offers many options in Bangkok, provided you know the airport and the city destination. Use your first few stop-overs to explore a little. Bangkok is not Singapore, there are uncertainties, and you need to know how to get past them.

Your first six-hours in Suvarnabhumi shouldn't be a bother, there is plenty to take in. Look forward to the next stop-over for more adventure.

• Like 1

In 6 hours you could be in Chiang mai in a taxi

+1

impossible its 800 km. best hope is get on earlier flight, trip into town could put you short of time all of a sudden if its busy time of the day. The airport express is always rammed full, then on to BTS where its some times a wait to get onto a train and again rammed full. Depending on cost i would go for airport lounge option. Quite area to sit which i some time use is near the link station, some fast food outlets but always plenty of seating. Edited by marstons

They are SO NOT suitable to have a diarrhea on,

i pity woman who has to sit down on that nasty pee-drenched thing of disgust.

Not to mention there is less than 1% chance of having toilet paper handy

Edited by poanoi

• 2 months later...

Had a few more stops at SuvarnaBhumi recently. If you have a visa or can get one on arrival, then there are options closer to airport.

#1 Hotel in Lat Krabang area:

Lot of hotels in the viscinity, just pick up a brochure and call, wait in the pick up area near gate-4, level-2, and you will get a ride to a hotel in the Lat Krabang area. These hotels are quite inexpensive, max 900Baht, cheaper if you book on-line. Rooms are clean and you can catch up on your sleep, or get a massage in your room, but no sex, much cheaper than in Sukhumvit.

#2 Sex in Lat Krabang area:

If you have no time for a hotel, then go for a taxi. Tell the lady at the taxi desk that you want a massage near the airport. Do not be shy. She knows her job. The taxi drivers know all the places and will take you to one in the Lat Krabang area, where sex is plentiful and the massage is a cover. Service is open 24hrs. If you truly want a massage, find a massage parlor, it will be much cheaper than the sex place.

#3 SeaCon Center

If you have about 4hours or more, take a taxi to SeaCon Center, about 20-30 mins by taxi. SeaCon center is a sprawling shopping center with food courts and all. Next door, is a Karaoke place and a Spa, where you are bound to find sex or massage. There are more places if you keep walking. So relax, shop and dine, then take a taxi back to the airport. This stretch of the road is not too crowded and the taxi moves fast.

Put in a good word for me, if you find this useful.

http://www.prioritypass.com/Lounges/Bangkok-Airport-Lounge.cfm

I Never travel without my Priority pass card......

Most lounges are nothing fancy but some are really nice

and have have free food, booze, internet and showers...

The Bangkok lounges are very nice(really sweet ladies at the front desk and bar) and bangkok has two lounges at either end of of the airport.

Im pretty sure you need a international boarding pass to enter....

Most lounges if no Priority Card can pay for service i think about 40 usd for 4 hours...

enjoy

Yeah Swampy totally sucks for this, it would almost be a pleasure to kill 6 hours in Singapore. If it was me, I would go get a room for 4 hours down town and grab a local friend for an hour to experience the famous Bangkok hospitality wink.png

Some people might be putt off by this, and I understand that, the other alliterative is to get a 2 hour massage in soi 4. This would be better actually as you can rest and relax and still feel welcomed back to Thailand.

• 6 years later...

I think you only have the choice of the Bangkok Air Blue Ribbon lounge & the Miracle lounge at concourse A domestic departures.

If you go external through immigration (rather than transfer route);-

I think you could go for a workout/swim / shower at the Novotel 800baht (600 baht shower only).  When you get back to the terminal on the shuttle bus, if you want food Franchises on floor 3, Food hall on the ground floor, at the other end away from "A" domestic departures. There is also a 7/11 and a few food places in the basement (access to rail link), if changing cash, you may wish to the Blue KT bank down there, normally +4-5% more there, for your perfect condition bank notes, compared with upstairs ( the green kk bank, is the Airport rate)...