Golden Delicious Apples

4evermaat

I saw these for sale once in a local market, and I pretty much bought most of them. When the stock finished, the gf informed me the shop could not predict when the next batch would come in.

I was in Makro and saw a few boxes with apples in which has several varieties with checkboxes next to them (so that the manufacturer can mark outside what type of apples were inside). One of the options were golden delicious apples. I don't know if there is a catalog or menu (hopefully with photos?) that I can get my hand on. This would make it easier to present to the sales manager.

But for other sales channels. Retail would be fine, but I am willing to buy a small box or two if necessary.

I've seen red delicious everywhere and when locals refer to 'appen' that's what they usually mean...I've only seen golden delicious occasionally at lotus and the quality is usually poor; mealy with no crispness...a temperate climate is normally required to produce quality apples...and an imported quality product is usually too expensive for the locals...

The best apples in the world are grown in UK but you'll never find UK apples in Thailand, why?

Golden delicious are grown in UK and they taste much better than the ones from France and are more crispy.

Coxs Orange Pippins are the ones I would like to see here, definitely the "King" of apples.

A reasonable apple that I think comes from NZ and is in shops now is "Jazz"

Good tasting and fairly crisp but has a thickish, plasticy skin.

The best apples in the world are grown in UK but you'll never find UK apples in Thailand, why?

Golden delicious are grown in UK and they taste much better than the ones from France and are more crispy.

Coxs Orange Pippins are the ones I would like to see here, definitely the "King" of apples.

don't know about that in Thailand...thais usually like their fruit very sweet and I think that pippin apples would be a bit too sour for their taste...but they are quite nice, I haveta agree...for cooking definitely superior; got to have a tartish apple for a nice apple tart...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

don't know about that in Thailand...thais usually like their fruit very sweet and I think that pippin apples would be a bit too sour for their taste...but they are quite nice, I haveta agree...for cooking definitely superior; got to have a tartish apple for a nice apple tart...

You obviously have no idea what a Coxs Orange Pippin tastes like!

For cooking, you would use a Bramley.

monsieurhappy's statement re.'the best apples in the world are grown in the UK', is, wrong............

The best apples in the world are grown in NEW ZEALAND !!

As English apples are not normally available in other countries, unless you have been to the UK you cannot justify your statement.

On the other hand, because UK supermarkets buy only the cheapest of products from around the world we are inundated with 2nd. rate apples which are grossly inferior to our own, although I have to admitt that NZ apples come a close second. Then again they would because most of the varities come from English stock as do the population!

You obviously have no idea what a Coxs Orange Pippin tastes like!

For cooking, you would use a Bramley.

well...per yer previous assertion, english apples are not available worldwide...<deleted> is a bramley apple?

(the 5'11" girlfriend would perform a lewd gesture and say: 'how d'ye like them apples?...'...and then would become supine and allow an applecart of pleasure...'rollin' and a-tumblin' just like the proverbial spilled apples...)

Edited by tutsiwarrior

Golden Delicious are a great looking Apple,which does not live up to expectations,tasteless and watery,there are far better on the market.

Unfortunately todays apple growers are being forced to grow for the needs of the supermarkets who haven't got a care for the lovers of apples!

Tasteless red and green "balls" that are there only to look good on the s/market shelves!

Many older varieties have been lost along with their taste and texture!

British apples are claimed to have a short "harvest" time so are only seen at their best for a few weeks of the year.

Years ago, this just wasn't true. I remember as a kid, my uncle used to bring us a box of apples from Wisbech in the east of UK. round about October time. Beautiful , crisp, sweet apples although I don't remember the variety. We used to wrap them individually in newspaper and keep them under the bed. We had no central heating in those days so they were kept cool all winter. Even the next spring those apples were just as good to eat as when they were picked.

Todays apples have been bred to look good and keep well but have lost the qualities of taste and texture!

How many of you have to peel off the "plastic" skin before you get to the tasteless flesh? Something you would never have done at one time.

Here endeth the lesson!!

hey...I useta live in Wisbech and never did see no apples...the place was a fenland below sea level and like a big marshland with an extensive canal system designed by dutch engineers...but I agree that 'apple cosmetic' is unappealing...maybe the apples came from elsewhere in Cambridgeshire/Lincolnshire but the whole place was flat as a pancake with only the cathedrals on elevated ground...Ely cathedral was really somethin' to see around dusk as you approached on the main highway and you wanted to get down on yer knees and pray...I useta get a couple of cans of cider from a wine shop next to the church for the ride into Leverington...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

I think that maybe you're trying to "wind me up" Mr. Tutsi but I'll bite just once more!

It may have been over 50 years ago that we got a box of apples from Wisbech and it's been a good few years since I was out that way but you may like to know they still haven't grubbed out all the fruit trees in the area.

Just take a look at what I found on Google:-

Fruitlink Great new apple from Wisbech | ShapeYourPlace.org Fruits-Apples-fresh produce-Wisbech-5 A Day Fruits

Hundreds flock to Willock Farm for apple day - News - Wisbech Standard

Perhaps those cans of cider were a little too strong for your constitution!

I think that maybe you're trying to "wind me up" Mr. Tutsi but I'll bite just once more!

It may have been over 50 years ago that we got a box of apples from Wisbech and it's been a good few years since I was out that way but you may like to know they still haven't grubbed out all the fruit trees in the area.

Just take a look at what I found on Google:-

Fruitlink Great new apple from Wisbech | ShapeYourPlace.org Fruits-Apples-fresh produce-Wisbech-5 A Day Fruits

Hundreds flock to Willock Farm for apple day - News - Wisbech Standard

Perhaps those cans of cider were a little too strong for your constitution!

yeah...that's weird as I usually notice the local flora and I don't ever remember seeing any large orchards...

the weirdest sight was when driving along well inland next to the canal from the sea to Wisbech (where there is a port) there was a large freighter sailing next to me...whoa, Nellie!

• 1 month later...