Panorama

BambinA

BambinA,

one way to do a panorama which is quite fun is to stand in one position and take several photographs moving the camera from left to right. When you have the photographs printed you can fit them overlapping together on one sheet of card/paper.

An alternative method with digital is that you can buy software that will transform several photographs taken in the manner above to look like one big panorama. In other words the software merges several photographs together to look like one panorama with surprisingly good results.

Hope that helps.

BambinA,

one way to do a panorama which is quite fun is to stand in one position and take several photographs moving the camera from left to right. When you have the photographs printed you can fit them overlapping together on one sheet of card/paper.

An alternative method with digital is that you can buy software that will transform several photographs taken in the manner above to look like one big panorama. In other words the software merges several photographs together to look like one panorama with surprisingly good results.

Hope that helps.

Vulture :D

Thank you. :D

You hit this one on the nail. :D

Four photos in one

large.jpg

Scary :D

Yours truly, :o

Kan Win :D

Edited by Kan Win

i hve DSC-P9  can  i make  panorama??

Bambi, that is a Sony right?

A lot of cameras now days will allow you to do this within the camera itself, but the rest (probably a majority) will require the correct software.

Perhaps other members will know what is the best software to use.

BambinA,

Hope that helps.

thanks alot... its useful indeed..maybe i have to buy the stand(how we call in eng??)

Bambi, that is a Sony right?

A lot of cameras now days will allow you to do this within the camera itself, but the rest (probably a majority) will require the correct software.

Perhaps other members will know what is the best software to use.

yes sir..sony

i use both digi -cam / manual cam, i will try to read more from manual book

BTW i still think manual camera (with film) still have more passion than digi-cam

i love silhouette .. i use the doctor knowledge about how to developer x'ray flim for camera film ( i dont do it good both)

i still be a newbie... :o

Edited by BambinA

http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~mbrown/autostitch/autostitch.html

Here you are BambinA. Download this prog. it's free. When you take your series of pics. make sure there's something distinctive where the pics. overlap. This helps the prog. work better. As you can see from the demo. there doesn't seem to be any minimum, so shoot away and make that pano. Sometimes it's better to set your camera on manual and keep the same settings for each shot. Anyway, best of luck. :o:D:D:D

thanks alot... its useful indeed..maybe  i have to buy the  stand(how we call in eng??)

Do you mean a "Tripod" Bambi?

I bought a nice one this year. Retracted it's about 6" long and extended it's about 18" long (the Tripod that is) :o:D Fits nicely in the pocket and is really handy when you want to take piccies at night without a flash.

• 2 weeks later...

:D:D:D

BambinA, :D

Panos are my most very favourite photos to take.

Why, you may well ask this question ?

Reason, very simple.

People Kan actual see the “Whole Picture” on their monitor as opposes to viewing it in “Real Life” by turning their heads around, to get the picture.

And when the photos are joined together come out at least near bad, good or better, then, I am happy.

All of mine are Shooting Handheld Panoramas, once you know how to, then it becomes easier and easier, but you have to practice and practice like I do every time I go on a “Photo Safari” so to speak.

http://www.pbase.com/win13/panoramic_oly_8080

Just a few for you, some good, some bad, and then some ugly. At least I tried and will always try to do better the next time around.

I use Panorama Maker 3.5. BTW

Happy Shooting :o

Yours truly, :D

@  monsieurhappy , thank you very much for  the link .. i  will check it in  few hrs later..(have to spay a cat in 10 mins :o )

you are absolutely correct about the film having more passion . I still love to take pics with my n65 compared to my d90 . The thing is you can do such wonderful things with digital imagery .Make the water more blue and such .

Panos can be done 2 ways.

1) Keep It Simple Sunshine (KISS)

a) use very wide angle lens,

:o make sure the camera is horizontal if you are including a horizon USE TRIPOD!!!!!!!!,

c) Take photo to include the 2 end points you want.

d) When you get photo from lab (film) get a pair os scossors out and remove the bits you do not want, take this back to the labs and ask for something like that or look at on computer and do same thing.

2) as above for a & b.

c) Take a series of photos that over lap by about 30% to cover the area you want. Try to resist the temptation to change the exposure, it makes the next step harder

d) Similar to above with film or software. Software can be easier because it can match the exposures in the stiching. If using film and lab explain that you have a panorama series and the more competent printer will try to match the prints, the printing machine will have its own opinion that needs to be over ruled.

I have created panos out of a series of 4x6's by mounting them on a piece of board stick together. This was in the pre digital era.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

:D:D:D

BambinA, :D

Panos are my most very favourite photos to take.

Why, you may well ask this question ?

Reason, very simple.

People Kan actual see the "Whole Picture" on their monitor as opposes to viewing it in "Real Life" by turning their heads around, to get the picture.

And when the photos are joined together come out at least near bad, good or better, then, I am happy.

All of mine are Shooting Handheld Panoramas, once you know how to, then it becomes easier and easier, but you have to practice and practice like I do every time I go on a "Photo Safari" so to speak.

http://www.pbase.com...oramic_oly_8080

Just a few for you, some good, some bad, and then some ugly. At least I tried and will always try to do better the next time around.

I use Panorama Maker 3.5. BTW

Happy Shooting :o

Yours truly, :D

large.jpg

Lots of good information here. I do panoramas all the time.

As already pointed out there are two ways to have a panorama.

1. Use a very wide angle lens and just crop the top and the bottom of the photo.

2. Take a group of photos and over-lap them.

I think #2 is what you were asking about and has been mostly answered here.

There is one thing to note, however. Most wide angle lenses have distortion at the edges. That makes it extremely difficult to make a perfect panorama later. I suggest taking MORE photos but with a lens near the middle range. A 50 mm lens will have almost no distortion and a 38 mm lens (similar to most point and shoot cameras) is not bad either. As already pointed out, Adobe Photoshop has a program that stitches pictures together. Although I often just take a series of hand held shots that overlap, I get a better result when I use a tripod. The ONLY hassle I've found is that changing light affects the picture when you make a very wide panorama.

Another advantage of the panorama programs on computers is you can make high detail pictures when using a telephoto lens. A wide angle lens won't include all the detail that a telephoto lens will, and if you stitch a series of telephotos together the panorama will have far more detail. You can do it with a standard format picture as well when you want high detail.

• 1 month later...

Unusual Panos

This challenge is about creating panoramas for a purpose different from purely showing a wide landscape. Please note that landscapes are not forbidden as subject per se, but there should be some sort of twist in the subject or technique.

Came in at No.16 out of 145 world wide. (win13)

http://www.dpreview....Results&Rows=25

Sawadee :wai:

P.S. also 104th , my bad, but at least I did me bit.............:ph34r:

Unusual Panos

This challenge is about creating panoramas for a purpose different from purely showing a wide landscape. Please note that landscapes are not forbidden as subject per se, but there should be some sort of twist in the subject or technique.

Came in at No.16 out of 145 world wide. (win13)

http://www.dpreview....Results&Rows=25

Sawadee :wai:

P.S. also 104th , my bad, but at least I did me bit.............:ph34r:

Thanks for the connection, Kan. It shows what a bit of creativity can do when you have the basic concept. Nice work and congratulations on the #16 place.

• Like 1